Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Anno posted:

Company of Heroes 3 reviews are apparently out today as well. Early consensus seems to be it's a good CoH game, though more-so in battle than on the new Total War-style campaign map, though that has potential as well. There's also a second, more linear CoH-style campaign.

I'm mostly in it for the multiplayer tbh

E: PCGamer's biggest issue with the Italian campaign seems to be that the enemy doesn't attack you all that much so you aren't constantly defending you captured territory. Frankly, I'm OK with that.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nioh’s itemization is basically a series of NG+ mechanics that they spring on you too early. it’s engaging to put together a build when you actually know what you want and have the options to create it, and it won’t immediately be obsoleted by whatever drops on the next mission. During most of NG it’s just cruft you ignore by throwing on whatever has the highest attack/defense after a mission and mass selling the rest.

Loot will clearly still be a major part of wo long, but the demo had fewer item drops than nioh and the affixes on them were much more meaningful than nioh’s endless list of “+1.7% gold earned from poisoned enemies during yokai shift” affixes. there are also fewer mechanics for stats to modify in general, and only 5 stats that can be leveled. Unless something substantially changes later in the game than what we’ve seen in the demo and previews, it’s a much more focused game than nioh where every mechanic at your disposal should be used by every kind of character. Everyone should use some flavor of spells, everyone should use martial arts moves, etc.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
They released a DLC with some more ducks for Placid Plastic Duck Simulator! This is amazing

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I thought Limbus Company was supposed to be a gacha? I don't see any indication of that on the Steam page, so they either thought better of it or it's hidden.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Anno posted:

idk if I'll pick up OT2 right away, but if/when I do, I'm starting as this guy because holy poo poo at his theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNrACjAF-wM

No surprise, of course - OT1 had an amazing soundtrack.

Stoked that the battle music crushes it once again. Yasunori Nishiki knows what's up.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

GrandpaPants posted:

I thought Limbus Company was supposed to be a gacha? I don't see any indication of that on the Steam page, so they either thought better of it or it's hidden.

it's definitely a free-to-play mobile game of some kind. afaict they haven't gone into detail about monetization systems but that's the most likely guess since that's where all the money is in f2p mobile rpgs (especially in asia)
it seems like there will only ever be 12 characters but there are alternate versions of the characters called "identities" obtainable through some mechanic or other (probably gacha). for example the page for their "pre-register" campaign mentions giving away "Blade Lineage Yi Sang" for 150k twitter followers

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Reading about Atomic Heart's bad/tasteless writing only does more to convince me that it's the real deal: authentic Slavjank that looks fun to play too.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Seems like it's one fest after another; this time, it's a week of :iiam: and that's another 12 GB of demos for me!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I see Taur is on sale and I have it wishlisted, presumably because someone in thread linked it. Anyone spent much time with it?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

Reading about Atomic Heart's bad/tasteless writing only does more to convince me that it's the real deal: authentic Slavjank that looks fun to play too.

You can tell it’s good Slavjank when half the reviewers hate it and no one calls it mid

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sloppy posted:

I see Taur is on sale and I have it wishlisted, presumably because someone in thread linked it. Anyone spent much time with it?

I think I posted about it in the last thread. It's a neat game but pretty shallow and probably not worth the $20 it's on sale for. What it does it does very well, but it's a very one-trick pony with gameplay that never really deviates from what you're doing at the start. For $5 I'd say definitely go for it, $20 is too much.

It's the kind of game that would have been a beloved free flash game 10+ years ago

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
God drat returnal owns so hard. It's incredibly addictive, and the fact that the super dark story and the action are both so good is rare. Definitely gonna beat this one

I said come in! posted:

Trying out the first boss, and just in general I think the game isn't for me, so i'm gonna skip buying it. Feels too much like Monster Hunter, which I knew going in, but I was hoping it would change up the formula a bit more then it did. I never really liked Monster Hunter to begin with. Glad for the 10 hour trial to figure this out now rather than after $70 was already spent.

You can also get monster hunter world for like ten bucks on a key site right now. So if someone hasn't played either just get that one because it's good. Personally I think it's better than Rise, and (to me this is important) it looks so much better.

explosivo posted:

I think I'm good on Midnight Suns.. the combat is pretty fun but I do not like the social stuff at all. Kinda just made me want to reinstall X-Com 2 tbh.

It's hilarious how terrible the dialogue is, and their bargain basement superhero voice actors aren't the best either. Honestly the social sections could be mystery science theater fodder, they are so bad.

Glad I was able to try it for free, the combat is a little interesting at least, if maybe too easy and too obvious what the best moves are at any given time. But the social stuff is hilariously bad

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Monster Hunter World is absolutely the pinnacle of the series despite it not having the same monster variety as the older games (it still has a TON especially with the expansion) but there's one thing that makes it a weird introduction to the series: If you play all the way to the end and decide to min/max your gear and keep playing, the majority of the best weapons in the game come as direct drops from two different event boss fights (Safi and Kulve) with pretty specific gimmicks that are not the same as the rest of MonHun gameplay. And in the process of farming Safi you will get all the mats you need to make Safi's armor, which is best in slot for most weapons.

It is AFAIK the only Monster Hunter game that provides you with top-tier gear as direct drops, rather than making you farm ingredients and craft them.

That makes it actually pretty drat easy to get into (because a day or two of farming safi/kulve means you can play just about any weapon you want) but it's not representative of the end-game gearing process of other MonHun games.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 20, 2023

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I stopped bothering with picking up loot in Nioh 2 until it was at least like ten levels higher. Then I’d just equip whatever I found first and carried on. Agreed the loot system didn’t fit with the rest the game tho

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Aliens Fireteam is on sale. Is it any good singleplayer?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

monster hunter world is the worst game in the series because the clutch claw is a garbage game mechanic and decorations are RNG. would unironically prefer the underwater combat over the clutch claw. the extremely poor monster variety does no favors either.

it also has the ugliest art style in the series but people will say it looks good because they masked the horrendously bland art with the highest graphical fidelity in the series.

i will never understand the uncritical praise it gets aside from most of the objectively good QoL changes.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The Lone Badger posted:

Interested in this as well; mainly single player-wise.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Play posted:

God drat returnal owns so hard. It's incredibly addictive, and the fact that the super dark story and the action are both so good is rare. Definitely gonna beat this one

I wish I liked Roguelites more; the gameplay was good but I'm just allergic to the fundamental concept of, "Try again with different tools". Tried Returnal out for an hour and ended up refunding it just because I know I wouldn't get $60 worth of entertainment out of it. 7 Hours logged inHades, 10 in Crypt of the Necrodancer, and actually maybe two dozen hours in Ziggurat 2 but that's more of an exception for the genre for me :(

If it goes on a deep discount to like the under-$30 range I'll probably pick it up and put a few hours into it, but...

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

The Lone Badger posted:

DerekSmartymans posted:

Interested in this as well; mainly single player-wise.

I really enjoyed Fireteam but I’m a sucker for aliens. Reviews were generally fine I believe. I think there is a lot of variety due to the different classes and weapons you can use to make builds. However the gameplay loop is the same throughout- proceed through fairly linear levels, occasionally stopping to fight off a few waves of xenos or androids while you wait on a timer or mess with a macguffin.

I think it really was a labor of love for the dev team. It’s not an aaa budget but it has a lot of great touches that fans will appreciate. Sound design and the fire effects are top notch.

Can’t speak to playing solo but I had a ton of fun playing with friends. Randoms are hit or miss- there’s no voice or text chat. Matchmaking is still active in the medium and hard difficulties.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Fireteam Elite is about as good solo as any other L4D clone.

That is to say not very.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Play posted:

Yeah it's reaaaally fun despite a couple gripes I have with certain mechanics. I just checked out the Tower mode for the first time last night and was blown away, it's an extremely fleshed out endless survival mode with a bunch of unique mechanics. Very cool that it was free post-release content!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Every day it gets harder to resist the urge to buy Returnal even though I own it on PS5. It's more of an effort to play it in the living room, and on the PC I can play it way too late into the night.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Fireteam Elite was okay, I didn't play it solo but I had fun playing through the campaign in pub games a few times when it came out. My main gripes were that about half the time it has you fighting humanoid Synthetics with guns instead of Xenos and in those segments it feels like an incredibly generic FPS, and that there wasn't much mission/class/weapon/etc variety - but I played immediately after launch and I'd assume more content variety has been added by now

Fighting aliens was fun but their pathfinding was bad in a way that's easy for gamerbrain to break - it turns out there are a small handful of predefined paths that aliens take when e.g. crawling on the ceiling during waves, and once you figure that out it becomes a shooting gallery where you just watch those specific spawn routes and are never in actual danger. Once I recognized that I stopped playing it :effort: but it was fun until then.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 21, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’m very conflicted on Returnal. I like roguelikes and generally dig its vibe, but dislike bullet hell games and third person shooters. Maybe when if I can grab it for $20-$30 I’ll take a stab at it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I expressed the same opinion ITT before its release and someone told me to definitely skip it if I don't like bullet hells so :v:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

They're probably right, but god it's good.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I don't really like bullet hell myself, but usually that refers to 2d games. I find myself enjoying the 3d variety quite a lot more because there's more to it, there's cover, there's angles, there's enemy patterns but in a 3d space. Hard to explain but it absolutely works. For me anyways

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Feels like a AAA Risk of Rain 2 with just enough of a schmear of a spooky story throughout each run to add some intrigue but not take up a ton of time. I was not initially enamored with the game but the weapons and upgrade systems are fun and allow for a variety of wild combinations and there's a lot of ways to incrementally improve from run to run so even when you keep getting owned in the first act you're likely leveling up weapons or mods or collecting new items that unlock in subsequent runs.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

It's also a little more than what one might think.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just feel like that's the same sort of thing that I've heard about every Housemarque game, and every one of them has been a huge disappointment to me when I actually picked it up. I don't really vibe with games that focus on perfecting one core mechanic if that makes sense (like e.g. most rhythm or puzzle games) and that's what Housemarque games always feel like to me: Here's the one highly-polished core mechanic, now go perfect every nuance of it to get high scores, but no there's not anything else to do in the game. Not making GBS threads on that kind of arcade-style game design it's just something I bounce incredibly hard off of (probably because of ADHD :kiddo:)

I'm still really into roguelikes and the setting seems cool so I'll pick it up if it ever hits $10 in a sale but I'm expecting to bounce off of it if I do.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Play posted:

I don't really like bullet hell myself, but usually that refers to 2d games. I find myself enjoying the 3d variety quite a lot more because there's more to it, there's cover, there's angles, there's enemy patterns but in a 3d space. Hard to explain but it absolutely works. For me anyways

I think you're on to something here; a lot of that could be said about Ziggurat which was my most-played of the genre by a significant factor. I usually don't like 2D bullet hells, but in a 3D space where you're running and jumping and bopping around, it feels very different. Like I said the core gameplay did feel good, I just wish it were a "normal RPG" where I find all those guns and pick and choose how to upgrade things accordingly. I want permanence drat it :(

It vaguely reminds me of Unreal or Titanfall or Tribes [just with all the things that make this not simply an arena shooter, obviously] which I love the movement systems of.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I have asked this elsewhere but I assumed the answer was no there too, but there's no way to see what games are gonna be on the next big (spring) steam sale are there? I want viscerafest pretty badly, but if it's gonna drop down 3-4 bucks again like it did at winter, I can wait another month

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Milo and POTUS posted:

I have asked this elsewhere but I assumed the answer was no there too, but there's no way to see what games are gonna be on the next big (spring) steam sale are there? I want viscerafest pretty badly, but if it's gonna drop down 3-4 bucks again like it did at winter, I can wait another month

No but isthereanydeal indicates it's on sale now for $0.50 more than the historical low over at gamersgate. Lower than it's ever been on steam actually.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/viscerafest/history/?shop%5B%5D=steam&generate=Select+Stores seems to go on sale regularly on steam too

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Super handy resource, thanks. I've been using steamdb to look up price history and not future

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Fireteam Elite was okay, I didn't play it solo but I had fun playing through the campaign in pub games a few times when it came out. My main gripes were that about half the time it has you fighting humanoid Synthetics with guns instead of Xenos and in those segments it feels like an incredibly generic FPS, and that there wasn't much mission/class/weapon/etc variety - but I played immediately after launch and I'd assume more content variety has been added by now

Fighting aliens was fun but their pathfinding was bad in a way that's easy for gamerbrain to break - it turns out there are a small handful of predefined paths that aliens take when e.g. crawling on the ceiling during waves, and once you figure that out it becomes a shooting gallery where you just watch those specific spawn routes and are never in actual danger. Once I recognized that I stopped playing it :effort: but it was fun until then.

Yea agree the synth enemies are horrible bullet sponges. Most those missions are in the middle of the game I believe. I really like the last set of missions, in the alien hive. DLC missions are fine, they do introduce the Prometheus/covenant style xenos, which aren’t different from the regular xenos except for a few new specials.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

any thoughts on how Asterigos turned out? I remember seeing it last year but never heard about it after it came out. I'm extremely sus of anything that calls itself a soulslike these days as most of the ones I tried landed somewhere between mediocre and terrible (lords of the fallen, the surge, mortal shell etc) but a few comments said this doesn't really play like one so I'm giving it another look.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Have a code for DooM2, if anyone somehow doesn't already have it. Got it in the fanatical bundle as a mystery game. If you enjoy a good FPS, this is my all time favorite and an absolute classic of the genre that has aged extremely well. Play it in gzdoom for proper mouse look and get ready to have a never-ending stream of great levels created by the community for nearly 30 years.

If you've never played it with the doomrl arsenal mod, that's highly recommended as is the zeta-dimensional shopping system for persistent credits and unlocks across different wads. I cannot recommend this enough if you've never done it, and have plenty of other mod suggestions if you're interested(not just Brutal DooM because I'm not a basic bitch)

Key below:

QBCF4-T7RGX-V3XLY

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of bullet hell games and I like Returnal a lot. I've played it on PS5 and now PC and I would say that using a keyboard and mouse takes the difficulty down quite a bit, which might also be a point in its favor depending on what it is that you dislike about bullet hell games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

"bullet hell" is a bad label for Returnal

it's an action game, but one of the things they did that make it really visually distinct (and frankly just fun to watch) is having enemy attack patterns that look like what an actual bullet hell shooter would be in 3d... except like 90% if it is early avoided noise

this sounds like terrible design, but it's one of those "you need to play it" kind of things - the devs are very good at this specific genre, and the excess glowing rain is there as much to unsettle you (early) as it is to just look cool (later)

you start out fast and nimble, the controls are razor sharp, and you unlock more tools as you play that affect combat in large and small ways

it's a very good action game, bullet hell is reductive because it implies it has an impossible barrier to entry, or that it's constantly stressing you with impossible challenges, neither are true