Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It is extremely loving horny in an offputting way. One of the jokes is that the store vending machine is horny and so it spends many transactions screaming at you to go hard inside of her and punish her.

Sounds like there will be a lot of terrible fanart in the coming weeks.

EDIT: I don't like this as a new page snipe... hey, did you know MGS: Revengeance had its 10 year anniversary yesterday?

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

ErrEff posted:

Sounds like there will be a lot of terrible fanart in the coming weeks.

EDIT: I don't like this as a new page snipe... hey, did you know MGS: Revengeance had its 10 year anniversary yesterday?

oh yeah platinum tweeted about this; did anything come of it?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

ImpAtom posted:

The story is aggressively boring told in a horribly tedious way. The protagonist spends the entire time complaining about everything include tons of complaining about video game stuff. Like tons of whining about finding keys.

It also seems to think subtle foreshadowing is telling you something and then spending 5 hours 'building up' to sonething it told you. (Like no lie There is a scene where the protagonist literally sees the plot explained and then a few hours later goes "When he said (spoiler that can't be taken any other way) I didn't realize he meant (spoiler that can't be taken any other way)

It also is an unashamed but more incompetent Bioshock that tries to lampshade how much of a direct clone it is that at one point you go into a bathysphere next to a lighthouse and see sn underwater city in the distance which the protagonist calls 'a rapture' which has literally no plot or gameplay reference besides Remember Bioshock

The open world is pointless. It is nothing but wasted time between dungeons. It is probably the worst open world I can remember

The shooting is okay but pretty one note and one weapon hilariously trivialized every encounter. It wore out its welcome pretty quick because of a painful lack of enemy variety.

It is extremely loving horny in an offputting way. One of the jokes is that the store vending machine is horny and so it spends many transactions screaming at you to go hard inside of her and punish her.

There is so much more but a lot of it is spoilers. The music slaps though.

It sounds very eurojank.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Looks like Mick Gordon worked on Atomic Heart music and he donated the money to support Ukraine:
https://twitter.com/Mick_Gordon/status/1625495826247319556

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

(Like no lie There is a scene where the protagonist literally sees the plot explained and then a few hours later goes "When he said (spoiler that can't be taken any other way) I didn't realize he meant (spoiler that can't be taken any other way)

As someone merely reading this description of events rather than playing through them myself: this is hilarious lol. Thank you for your sacrifice

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

So it really IS the spiritual successor to SOMA.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Looks like Mick Gordon worked on Atomic Heart music and he donated the money to support Ukraine:
https://twitter.com/Mick_Gordon/status/1625495826247319556

That reminds me, is there actually an AH thread or us it falling under Hogwarts Legacy rules?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there isn't one but it's more due to lack of interest

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I don't think people will get as whipped up about this, but we still have 1 more day until release.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

there isn't one but it's more due to lack of interest

Understandable. Just didn't want to cause issues by discussing it I realized

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think the game is high profile enough to warrant its own thread, although I don't think it'd be divebombed in the same way as Hogwart's if somebody bothered to make one.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

ShoogaSlim posted:

backlog spreadsheet

Not sure if you care or even plan to platinum it, but in my experience the time to beat Inscryption is roughly correct (roughly 10-15hrs) but the time to platinum it is significantly longer. Some guides will tell you it takes 25hrs, but for me it took north of 40, maybe even closer to 50. Maybe I'm just terrible at video games (probably yes), but the end of Kaycee's Mod was tough (for me).

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
You could probably make a “shooters with powers” or really just a general “shooting games” thread.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

ImpAtom posted:

That reminds me, is there actually an AH thread or us it falling under Hogwarts Legacy rules?

I could (and probably am) be way off base here but I don't think the devs made an official stance on the Russian invasion. They've danced around it and have hinted that they're in support of it but haven't come out directly saying they're in support of it. There's also the possibility that they don't support the invasion but can't say so due to their location and possibly the money backing them. That's probably not likely though.

At the very least it's not as confirmed as JKR being a TERF piece of poo poo and obviously isn't nearly as big and prevalent as HP so a separate thread for it should be fine though it'll probably be pretty slow.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

How have they hinted they’re in support of it?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

History Comes Inside! posted:

How have they hinted they’re in support of it?

A lot of it is people reading between the lines but here's an article about it

https://www.gamesradar.com/atomic-heart-dev-facing-backlash-on-statement-relating-to-russo-ukraine-war/

It's definitely not 100% confirmed and they're doing some heavy PR speak and like I said they're dancing around it.

This is the last thing I've read about it so something new may have come up. I personally am not interested in the game for other reasons so I haven't paid the closest attention.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What's the consensus on the idea they are a Russian company that is evading sanctions? That's the core issue to me.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the controversy around atomic heart's politics has always been six degrees of association from a subject filled with credulous loons on both sides, and it's become louder than usual in the last couple of weeks not just because of the release date but also because certain people are using it as chaff to distract from the far less ambiguously lovely harry potter game

it's not worth dwelling on

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I will simply play it on Game Pass. Mainly because it looks kind of rear end.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Fangz posted:

What's the consensus on the idea they are a Russian company that is evading sanctions? That's the core issue to me.

about as credible as them being in support of the war. It's a lot of PR speak and dodging the subject which can be interpreted both ways but really:

Oxxidation posted:

the controversy around atomic heart's politics has always been six degrees of association from a subject filled with credulous loons on both sides, and it's become louder than usual in the last couple of weeks not just because of the release date but also because certain people are using it as chaff to distract from the far less ambiguously lovely harry potter game

it's not worth dwelling on

this is the most accurate summation.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sounds equally like “we can’t condemn it because we’ll go to jail”, kind of poor to decide them not coming out in full throated opposition to the war is implicit support when they actually have people in the country who could be persecuted for it, rather than being able to safely denounce it from outside the state.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AH is hilariously apolitical for a game of its nature. It's strongest criticism is 'communism without true equality is open to abuse' and it doesn't even really commit to that

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

ShoogaSlim posted:

i put some time into disco, outer wilds, last guardian, sekiro, and nier. all games i look forward to tackling and didn't bounce off bc i hated them or anything.
  • disco - died in a trash bin outside the hotel bc i was broke and it turned me off but i still wanna see it through
  • outer wilds - just felt slow for the time i was playing it. i was enjoying what i got out of it, tho. also i'm terrified of the planet with suddenly rising oceans. i hate being underwater (can't swim in real life doesn't help)
  • last guardian - i got to a spot where the dragon dog thing just would not respond to input commands and got annoyed. this was like 4 years ago or something. i love ico and sotc, so i def wanna restart and actually finish this
  • sekiro - i think i started playing this after elden ring but before dark souls 3 and i just wanted to play ds3 first since it felt more like elden ring. will def tackle sekiro very soon.
  • nier - i just tinkered with the first ~hour to see what it was like. i hear it's incredible and what i played of it was pretty fun. looking forward to diving in

I started replaying disco elysium on hardcore mode around the time you started just to play it again and also get some trophies and I’m on day 3 and I just remembered I wanted to get that trophy for sleeping in the dumpster but it’s too late now, drat.

Outer wilds is interesting because as long as you kind of realize what you’re in for, because you can do anything in any order, I never thought of it as ‘slow’, maybe outside of the tutorial because I was just excited to get into the space ship and fly around, but the tutorial is like 45 minutes long maybe and very important because it shows you how to use all of the tools that you’ll be using regularly throughout the game.

The last guardian can be kind of slow, but I guess I got lucky because I never really got ‘stuck’ aside from a couple of the more difficult puzzle, but aside from that usually the AI would work well and Trico would just go where it needed to go before I could even figure it out. Pretty early in the game you get the ability to give specific demands to Trico but the game is super vague about what they are, so I’d just look it up to see what each button does and this thread can also give you tips, like even though the player character always yells when you give a command, you have to be in trico’s line of sight for a command to actually register, and also like spamming commands will confuse Trico, etc.

Phenotype posted:

can someone help me with this?

Looking at Monster Hunter World's Iceborne expansion, Outer Wilds, Bloodborne, or poo poo, I dunno is there anything else cool I want to play? I played all of em for a little bit yesterday and couldn't get stuck into anything. Went through the first two Iceborne monsters and I keep wondering if I really want to get strapped back into the grindfest, and then I played Bloodborne for a half hour and made basically no progress -- made it to the Cleric Beast and died, didn't even find a shortcut so I don't have to go through the twenty guys around the bonfire and the big wolves on the bridge -- and I dunno if I can get used to the framerate! I have no idea why no one minded back in the day, but stretched across a big 4k TV it just seems like the graphics are too busy for such a slow refresh rate.

Or maybe I should wait for Atomic Heart? Reviews are mixed but it sounds interesting if nothing else.

Like I said up there about outer wilds, you sort of get to decide the pace in a way, because you can go anywhere you want as soon as you get the launch codes to your ship. The first thing I happened to do was on the starting planet, on the opposite side of the tutorial area, and talking to the NPC there about the giant vine coming out of a weird seed there and what that leads to immediately got me hooked on the game, so maybe just look out for something that catches your eye and looks interesting. If you can’t get into it after doing that a few times, maybe it’s not for you then, but it’s worth trying to get into.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Not sure if you care or even plan to platinum it, but in my experience the time to beat Inscryption is roughly correct (roughly 10-15hrs) but the time to platinum it is significantly longer. Some guides will tell you it takes 25hrs, but for me it took north of 40, maybe even closer to 50. Maybe I'm just terrible at video games (probably yes), but the end of Kaycee's Mod was tough (for me).

It’s a really hard plat especially since iirc you have to beat kaycees mod with every handicap enabled.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I want to play Outer Wilds but I am so hilariously inept at the controls that it’s very hard to get into.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

History Comes Inside! posted:

Sounds equally like “we can’t condemn it because we’ll go to jail”, kind of poor to decide them not coming out in full throated opposition to the war is implicit support when they actually have people in the country who could be persecuted for it, rather than being able to safely denounce it from outside the state.

Oh yeah that's for sure an accurate interpretation as well

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

veni veni veni posted:

It’s a really hard plat especially since iirc you have to beat kaycees mod with every handicap enabled.

I really enjoyed most of the game, but Kaycee's mod is so tough that there's basically only one way to beat the final challenge. At the end I just kept rolling the dice until I got the winning combo. It was super satisfying to finally get it though :)

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

wife is pushing pretty hard for a ps5 for her maternity leave and i'm totally down for it. but are there any other bundles in europe besides God of War or FIFA?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

NoiseAnnoys posted:

wife is pushing pretty hard for a ps5 for her maternity leave and i'm totally down for it. but are there any other bundles in europe besides God of War or FIFA?

Depending on the shops. In here it's still get a PS5 bundled with just God of War (cheapest option) or with another gamepad, wireless headset and HFW for extra 200ish.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Harriet Carker posted:

I want to play Outer Wilds but I am so hilariously inept at the controls that it’s very hard to get into.

:same:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

It also seems to think subtle foreshadowing is telling you something and then spending 5 hours 'building up' to sonething it told you. (Like no lie There is a scene where the protagonist literally sees the plot explained and then a few hours later goes "When he said (spoiler that can't be taken any other way) I didn't realize he meant (spoiler that can't be taken any other way)

Lol, are you Ralph from Skillup? From his review:

quote:

I mean, you can guess this game almost beat for beat from the moment this premise is delivered to you and then it's just a matter of waiting for the dumb rear end main character to catch up. The stupidity of this character by the way, it's genuinely hard to credit. This guy is dumber than a stack of sandbags. The entire time he is blindly ignoring every single clue, every new piece of information, almost literally putting his fingers in his ears going, "La, la, la, la, I can't hear you," refusing to believe anything he is seeing or hearing is real...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Lol, are you Ralph from Skillup? From his review:

The funny thing is that quote is from your 'smart' sidekick. Everyone is dumb as bricks.

But yes P-3 is the dumbest motherfucker in the USSR.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Jows posted:

(1-metacritic_score)*time_to_beat

Rank ascending.

this... doesn't seem right? :confused:

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Not sure if you care or even plan to platinum it

prolly not gonna try and totally complete any game on the list, really. my current goal is to just *finish* poo poo. if anything i wind up playing really hits me the right way then i'll happily invest more time into it. inscryption feels like a serious grind, tho. i'm sure there's plenty to see/do/uncover from what i've heard, but i just wanna roll credits before thinking about going hard at it.

imhotep posted:

I started replaying disco elysium

i definitely appreciate your encouragement. if it weren't for you/this thread i would have moved disco into "abandoned" way long ago. i'm gonna keep at it!

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Depending on the shops. In here it's still get a PS5 bundled with just God of War (cheapest option) or with another gamepad, wireless headset and HFW for extra 200ish.

same. the bundles seem like an okay deal, we're just not wild about GoW or FIFA, i'd rather get horizon

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Atomic fart

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

inscryption feels like a serious grind, tho. i'm sure there's plenty to see/do/uncover from what i've heard, but i just wanna roll credits before thinking about going hard at it.

The main campaign is like 8 hours long. The side stuff is completely optional and I had a hell of a fun time just playing through the main game.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

this... doesn't seem right? :confused:

A really basic and simple option would be just be:
[metacritic score] minus [time to beat]

Looking at the first 10 games you have listed there you'd end up with the order being:

Sekiro (great game, short ttb)
Dark Souls 2
Nioh
Metal Gear Solid 5
Death Stranding
Bioshock Collection
Witcher 3
Stardew Valley
Persona 5
Mass Effect (long as poo poo)

If you think that's giving too much of a penalty against long games you can multiply the metacritic score by 2 (or 3 or 4, etc ) depending on how you want to weigh score verses ttb.

At score*2 the Witcher 3 jumps ahead of Bioshock in spite of being 33% longer. At 3x it also jumps ahead of Death Stranding and MGS 5 moves ahead of Nioh.

Things get really shaken up if you decide that score should be worth 5x the length penalty:

Witcher 3
Stardew Valley
Sekiro
Persona 5
Nioh
Metal Gear Solid 5
Mass Effect
Death Stranding
Dark Souls 2
Bioshock Collection

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Hurry up and review Wild Hearts someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shammypants posted:

Hurry up and review Wild Hearts someone

in terms of gameplay it's a surprisingly great monster hunter clone, the weapons are really fun and the fortnite building adds a lot of depth to combat and exploration.
on a technical level, it's very messy, but not unplayable on PS5 like it is on PC. performance mode is a not-quite-smooth 60 fps with noticeable dips here and there but not so bad that they significantly impact gameplay, but the trade-off is that the game looks very fuzzy. I haven't played co-op but my understanding is that having multiple players running around building stuff will bring performance down a lot. Don't bother with quality mode lol.
I think it's worth playing but might be good to wait and see if it gets patched.