Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Things I want back:

Eureka/Inspirations/Quests - Having minor goals to achieve and being able to boost techs by performing actions is a great idea. I'd like to say "make it more dynamic" but Civ players usually approach the game with a specific victory condition or strategy in mind and pushing people to do things outside that would probably get them to complain, so static goals/quests might be better here.

Heroes & Secret Societies - While they were broken, they were a fun layer on top of everything else.

Disasters - I loved that disasters provided a bonus along with their negative, I'd like to see that explored more.

Districts - Loved em. Really made me think about placement, and the utility that a specific city would have in my empire. Made cities feel unique and special beyond just having specific wonders.

1UPT - Terrain matters. Unit placement matters. Cities need their own guards. All things that should be kept. Simply increase the number of hexes on the map so stuff doesn't get quite so clogged, and improve the travel speed of units through units of the same force(thematically, a supply chain if you will).

Things I want changed -

Victory conditions - We need to simplify these things so that a) they're easier to counter so there's more back and forth and the end game isn't clicking "the end turn button" while waiting for your rockets to launch.

Diplomacy - We had a good start here but whoever was in charge was still stuck on the ideas that AI leaders have these traits they start with and never change. I want organic AI response to how you interact with them and I want more than just "give them money and luxuries and they'll leave you alone". It's the AI, let it give you quests and goals and also, perhaps most importantly, don't flood the player with god drat notifications about it.

Religion - This layer of the game was a slog. Not the management of the religion itself, but the units. Watching the AI pointlessly push missionaries around the map was/is awful.

Cities - There's still a boring level of city management when it comes to building stuff in it. I want to unlock more permanent things in my capital which then spill over to every city I build or take.

Barbarians - We started to see some interesting ideas with the idea that a barbarian tribe could eventually grow into its own city. Let's continue that and give barbarians more to do in the late game than just pop up and pillage your poo poo because lol there was one spot of land on the tail of your area that was in fog so now there's a tribe of rampaging barbs there randomly.

Global Warming - Not because of politics or anything, but the system felt like it was super important but the game was usually over long before it was. I don't even think if you play with a "Score Victory" would Global Warming actually come into play in a major way. A fun idea, but I think the game really needs to punish you for it.

Exploration - The best part of the game is always the early-mid game. Finding other players, discovering the world, colonizing new cities, establishing your infrastructure and building armies ; great stuff. The late game, is and awful slog. Archaeological sites were a fun play on this, but I'd love to see a further push here. Add in biological sites, which can give you interesting places to send scientists, and maybe even start to have deep sea exploration.

Khanstant posted:

for the love of god pick a new tile shape, maybe something that doesn't repeat endlessly in the exact same brainless pattern. it's 2023 computers can handle more shapes than square and hexagon

While I kind of agree with you, I found the weird shapes of Endless Legends areas to be off putting. I like the overall idea of having "zones" for combat, but in practice it was a lot more fiddly than 1UPT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I think governors could be more interesting if there was a more interesting set of choices. I like that the diplomat can be sent to city states for different bonuses than sending her to your own cities or that the general has loyalty bonuses that extend to other cities.

I'd like to see them fleshed out where they all have a mix of 1)bonus to a city they're stationed in, 2) bonuses within a certain radius of their city, 3)empire wide bonuses if stationed in the capital, and 4) bonuses when sent to other civs and city states.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
I would love to see a Civ with a three-dimensional tile, like a representation of what's under and above each city, revealed through progression of time. Different civs can go deeper/higher etc. Like an updated sim city laters view.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Oh another thing I'd like them to lift from Old World: let me choose my civ/leader after I begin the game. Especially now that there's such a huge list I sometimes have a hard time scrolling through and deciding who I want to play so I usually end up playing the same few. Let me load into the map, see what's up and then decide. I'm sure I'll play more different civs that way.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

They need to bring back stacking (to some extent) units on the same tile so the AI can actually do war

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

PaybackJack posted:

Global Warming - Not because of politics or anything, but the system felt like it was super important but the game was usually over long before it was. I don't even think if you play with a "Score Victory" would Global Warming actually come into play in a major way. A fun idea, but I think the game really needs to punish you for it.
it's probably because i play on disaster 3 or 4, but ive rarely have games where global warming doesn't happen. hell, just a couple of ironclads seem to ramp it up

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Honestly, I'd just love an AI that didn't suck at combat and/or suddenly decide it hates you.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

oh yeah, I did love barbarians in VI, even though they were terrifying. It might be time to get out of the business of having "savages you should always murder" in the game though. Maybe more like a simpler version of the tribes in Colonization.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I like the districts but the ai is so bad at using them.

Would it slow the game down too much to have it calculate a plan for each city based on the possible adjacency bonuses and what they need? Maybe give them a bonus to district construction above the difficulty bonuses.

I assume it's a difficult problem to solve but I like the variety they give cities.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

homullus posted:

oh yeah, I did love barbarians in VI, even though they were terrifying. It might be time to get out of the business of having "savages you should always murder" in the game though. Maybe more like a simpler version of the tribes in Colonization.

The barbarians mode where you can parlay with tribes and the tribes can eventually become city states seems like a step in that direction

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Adenoid Dan posted:

I like the districts but the ai is so bad at using them.

Would it slow the game down too much to have it calculate a plan for each city based on the possible adjacency bonuses and what they need? Maybe give them a bonus to district construction above the difficulty bonuses.

I assume it's a difficult problem to solve but I like the variety they give cities.

Yeah, I love districts and they are the reason I could never go back to 5 or 4 even though 6 it's such a flawed game

But yeah, the AI can't play them, it's ridiculous bad at them. Probably the main reason the AI feels so worst in 6 than in the previous games

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

While the Civ6 congress isn't good it's much better than the terrible Civ5 one where the AIs just vote to ban all of the luxuries. Kinda like how the congress in Stellaris is mostly the AIs voting to increase ship upkeep.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Cheers and thanks!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

homullus posted:

I think they ended up in a pretty good place, where there are a few ways to interact with them. One of the things I liked about Beyond Earth was it had good ideas about how it handled the barbarian equivalent.

Actually I liked its random events too, and picking out the slight tweaks to your civ during the "mission prep" phase. You could maybe get there by calling it a way to establish your initial culture/religion or something, in a civ context, before the map loads.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
bring back mind worms and let me commune with planet

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ragnar34 posted:

Initial civs will include Rome, Egypt, China, Monty, Gandhi, a bunch of white people, and a couple really interestingly designed indigenous nations (at least one of which specifically asked not to be in the game).

Is that a thing? I remember they really wanted to add the Pueblo in 5 or 6, and ended up cutting them because they had explicitly been asked not to.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
That happened with the Poundmaker Cree Nation.

Honestly it's easy to understand why given the history.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/4/16850906/cree-nation-civilization-6-poundmaker

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It's one argument for an "achievement score" victory similar to Humankind that didn't depend so much on conquering/exploiting. I don't think we'll see that, though

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh huh, I guess the Pueblo stuff must have been from V then. That's disappointing.

Honestly, the biggest thing I want in VII is whatever creative team was in charge of the Civilopedia and flavor text in V; that game had a lot of heart that VI just didn't.

It's a real small thing but I always appreciated that they replaced Montezuma II with Montezuma I, possibly in part because most of the player base never even noticed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Instead of famous civ leaders how about we get the spotlight on some unremarkable citizens who actually know what living in their civs was really like? Let me play as Nanni, and show the world how far one person can go in their search for quality copper at a fair price with good customer service.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Khanstant posted:

Instead of famous civ leaders how about we get the spotlight on some unremarkable citizens who actually know what living in their civs was really like? Let me play as Nanni, and show the world how far one person can go in their search for quality copper at a fair price with good customer service.

Ea-Nasir for Great Merchant. Where can I find this mod?

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Activating Ea-Nasir makes you retain grievances against other civs longer.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I should preface this by saying that I want multi-party negotiations in the next game. Conducting diplomacy where I want two other parties to agree is clunky and risky. I already gave X resources to Y empire, and now I have to hope I can convince Z empire to follow suit. If I don't get what I need from that Z empire, I have expended my resources for nothing. In reality, I wouldn't be spending anything unless all parties I want to perform an action agree on the price.

Right now, if I want Brazil and China to make peace with Greece I have to negotiate with Brazil, pay Brazil, and then hope that I can convince China to also make peace with Greece. There is no intelligent option here.

PaybackJack posted:

Get rid of global warming and replace it with something that can actually matter and be implemented in a more fun way than a tile disappearing. In VI, I just ignored global warming because it effected all players. Ok, my tiles lose fertility and I get more storms. So what? Everyone else's tiles start to lose fertility and they get more storms also. So what exactly is changing here? First place is still in first place with two fewer good tiles, and last place is still in last place with two fewer good tiles.

I think they need to replace global warming with another representative of the need that mechanic was meant to fill: A global issue meant to force diplomacy in the late game.

Maybe something like nuclear proliferation. Have city states change the way they behave once they have the bomb. They can't be walked over anymore. Let city states slowly proliferate nuclear technology to other city states. If anyone invades that city state they might drop the bomb in retaliation. Have Rome start paying for centrifuges in Geneva on England's border. Now England has need to get multiple parties to embargo Geneva and/or Rome.

This gives us a global issue that's already mostly baked into the game. The game is already going to have nukes, and the nukes are already going to be tied to more base mechanics like production and units. It also removes a lot of the timing issues with something like global warming because the speed at which it happens is more closely tied to player behavior and players will actively choose to encourage or discourage it since it can actually create an advantage.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 20, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Global warming did have one rather amusing, ironic gameplay effect: The guy in the lead who gets to coal power first will be most able to afford anti-disaster constructions down the line, while the guys in last will just get have to drown in the global leader's sins.

It's seems accurate to modern history, and is probably the opposite of the narrative they where trying to make, but it still amuses me.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

That actually kind of makes me like global warming better as a game mechanic.

But yes, it was almost certainly not intentional.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Khanstant posted:

for the love of god pick a new tile shape, maybe something that doesn't repeat endlessly in the exact same brainless pattern. it's 2023 computers can handle more shapes than square and hexagon

Hexagons with 20 Pentagon corners on the map, dodecahedral approximation of a sphere.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Thranguy posted:

Hexagons with 20 Pentagon corners on the map, dodecahedral approximation of a sphere.

Not to be too pedantic in the Civilization thread but you can get away with 12, with oceanic distribution where you basically won't ever notice them unless you're looking if we're talking a realistic earth continents (and probably an easy checkbox option for most mapgens).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've been hoping for a Age of Mythology type version or expansion for Civ, 6 kind of has all the parts to do it if you shuffle some things around and add some monsters.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Chronojam posted:

Not to be too pedantic in the Civilization thread but you can get away with 12, with oceanic distribution where you basically won't ever notice them unless you're looking if we're talking a realistic earth continents (and probably an easy checkbox option for most mapgens).

I've been dreaming of this for years. I guess it wouldn't have a huge gameplay impact (and probably would cost performance?) but it would be a nice hook to sell the game and you could do some neat things with pole diplomacy, especially when the ice caps melt and reveal sweet, sweet crude and shiny minerals

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Just grabbed this plus the expansions over the weekend while it was on sale. OP has not been updated to cover expansion content and it vehement that the singleplayer experience is garbage.

Is it still garbage? I've only gotten a few hours in so far but the AI civs definitely do seem a little erratic still.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Just grabbed this plus the expansions over the weekend while it was on sale. OP has not been updated to cover expansion content and it vehement that the singleplayer experience is garbage.

Is it still garbage? I've only gotten a few hours in so far but the AI civs definitely do seem a little erratic still.

it's fine, once you get more hours in you'll probably dominate and then disable some DLC stuff to make the game a challenge again

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is not garbage. But once you learn the game enough, you gonna notice the AI is garbage and can barely play the game, which undermines the single player experience a bunch

But its still fun, I had like 600 hours on Civ 6 and I never touched multiplayer (its just not for me)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

It seems pretty unlikely that anyone who buys the full version at this late date is going to play enough to get a good idea of what the AI is consistently bad at and how to exploit it.

This is a really fun game to work out how to play, it lets you build cities on a map which fit together like puzzle pieces to get stat bonuses and means your largest population centers generally take up a large amount of map space just for themselves. Unless that sounds terrible, you're in decent territory as far as fun video games goes.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is not garbage. But once you learn the game enough, you gonna notice the AI is garbage and can barely play the game, which undermines the single player experience a bunch

But its still fun, I had like 600 hours on Civ 6 and I never touched multiplayer (its just not for me)

I would still say it's fairly challenging to learn how to beat deity, you almost certainly won't do it just through intuition

I mean you might but if you do you're way better than me, I had to go out of my way to look up videos and guides and stuff

edit: okay maybe if you use heroes and secret societies you can, I mean for no DLC

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I mean with over 100 hours in Civ IV and a couple of dozen in Civ V, I know the AI isn't going to win any awards. So long as it's not going to ruin the game like I tend to feel about Total War I'm happy enough.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

bring back mind worms and let me commune with planet

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

They should get Brian Reynolds to design their games again.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Alpha Centauri as a game was insanely imbalanced and easily broken. If they can pull Brian Reynolds out of mobile game hell, he'd be better off as a creative lead alone.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, the AI is still poo poo (though, I think, modestly improved over vanilla), but if you're new to the game it might be balanced out by you having to figure out everything yourself also, and once you get a feel for it, if you want the AI to challenge you, you can just raise the difficulty to give it advantages.

my personal beef with it is that it is designed to be a board game opponent, which means every AI is playing to win, and will end any diplomatic relationships it has with you if it thinks it has a chance of betraying you and taking your poo poo, regardless of how many positive relationship modifiers you've accrued

This is annoying both because I'd rather have it be a sandbox game where relationships and diplomacy matter, and also because the game has enough defensive measures that you can easily fend off an invasion with a much smaller army and the AI's calculus grossly overestimates its offensive capabilities.

gently caress John Curtin in particular for being a mercenary backstabbing opportunist despite all his flavor text and also being dog poo poo at actual warfare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Khanstant posted:

each space is a puzzle piece shape, natural wonders are the weird ones shaped like a whale or a trebuchet or whatever