Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

The Perfect Element posted:

Started the new Alan Partridge live show on Prime. Got about a third of the way through and turned it off. It wasn't particularly funny, in fact actively awkward at times, and AP in an arena just creates too much cognitive dissonance for me.

He's definitely at his best in the small confines of a sitcom, as almost all comedic characters are.

went to see it live when it was at the O2 and found it funny at the time but watched the Prime recording and agree that wasn't great. elevated by being there live I imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Curious Orange is staging a comeback?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olT9o7BfH0k

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
drat, I wish I hadn't had my avatar changed by someone all those years ago now

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Wow, Paul Putner's YouTube channel is a great deep dive into old British telly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcgv8kyHoTw

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I watched an ep of The Gold because I recognized a Joy Division song in the trailer. Quite good! If you like a lotta republicanism in your crime shows. If they're not calling each other villains they're talking about entrenched privilege

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bogmonster posted:

Wow, Paul Putner's YouTube channel is a great deep dive into old British telly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcgv8kyHoTw

God you’d be lucky to get a £5m jackpot on the lottery now without a rollover.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's funny watching reddit talk about the apprentice and how it's SO CLEAR this series that they're basically randomly firing people from the losing team.
I get why, it's not about the tasks any more so they're getting rid of whoever.

But man they could make a fun show out of what they do have and instead they're wasting it on the faux business-with-sugar poo poo, I hate it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
also lol @ Dragons' Den

*has unique patent-protected product, proven sales record, healthy business, over 30 years in skilled trade BUT also does manual labour for living and has scouse accent*

"we're all out, good luck"

*is 18 years old, has a business that can be reproduced for about a grand BUT is david dickinson's grandson*

*HOW MUCH CASH YOU WANT??????"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

crispix posted:

also lol @ Dragons' Den

*has unique patent-protected product, proven sales record, healthy business, over 30 years in skilled trade BUT also does manual labour for living and has scouse accent*

"we're all out, good luck"

*is 18 years old, has a business that can be reproduced for about a grand BUT is david dickinson's grandson*

*HOW MUCH CASH YOU WANT??????"

I enjoy dragons den because it teaches you to hate capitalism and how business works

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It makes me sick when the contestants fawn over the dragons and talk about how much they'd value their experience and input.

They don't care. They're not going to be involved in the business if they invest in it. They're invested in hundreds of tiny failed projects at this point. They're just a soulless well of cash. Run.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Mr. Squishy posted:

I watched an ep of The Gold because I recognized a Joy Division song in the trailer. Quite good! If you like a lotta republicanism in your crime shows. If they're not calling each other villains they're talking about entrenched privilege

Irish republicanism? Didn't realise they were linked to Brink's-Mat, though the timing makes sense. Makes it even more "Long Good Friday," which can't be a bad thing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mickolution posted:

Irish republicanism? Didn't realise they were linked to Brink's-Mat, though the timing makes sense. Makes it even more "Long Good Friday," which can't be a bad thing.

Not Irish, just an anti-aristocratic bent in the dialogue. It reminds me of The Shadow Line where there's a campaigning philosophy not so subtlety playing out in a genre piece. The first ep ends with a monologue about Cromwell.
e: i really did enjoy it! Check out The Gold!

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

Not Irish, just an anti-aristocratic bent in the dialogue. It reminds me of The Shadow Line where there's a campaigning philosophy not so subtlety playing out in a genre piece. The first ep ends with a monologue about Cromwell.

Ahh ok, thought they were trying to crowbar issues of the time into it. Anti-Royal republicanism is a bit strange but I'll definitely watch it. I just hope it doesn't go like a lot of UK dramas I've seen in recent years where they rely way too much on twists and cliff hangers. Both can be done well, but both can also be a bit lazy.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

stev posted:

It makes me sick when the contestants fawn over the dragons and talk about how much they'd value their experience and input.

They don't care. They're not going to be involved in the business if they invest in it. They're invested in hundreds of tiny failed projects at this point. They're just a soulless well of cash. Run.

They really should let you see how every other business went down on the website shouldn't they

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The_Doctor posted:

God you’d be lucky to get a £5m jackpot on the lottery now without a rollover.

In contrast it’s wild how big the mega millions etc jackpots get here in the US when it keeps rolling over. It’s like ‘end world hunger’ levels of money.

Ok not that much, but still obscene amounts of money.

quote:

The only Mega Millions jackpot larger than Friday's prize is the $1.53 billion won in South Carolina in 2018, Mega Millions said. The largest jackpot in the U.S. to date was a $2.04 billion Powerball won by a single ticket in California in November

This is all really recent too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, I was buying tickets for both of those. We did win a few dollars, but only about $4 or so.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Just started watching this year's apprentice. Literately ten minutes into it and I already despise it and remember why I stopped watching it a year or two ago. Lord/sir/Mr sugar's shite jokes and the cringing insincere obsequiousness is borderline unwatchable. What utter cunts.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
if I knew anyone IRL who was as much of a oval office as the average Apprentice contestant I'd do everything I possibly could to avoid spending an hour in their company

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Oh gently caress off. "I'm sick of all your bickering", after telling them all to point the finger at each other? Christ alive, gently caress him, gently caress this show, gently caress the BBC for spaffing my license fee on this bollocks. loving cunts.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

They all seem pretty nice if you just watch the bit in the house. I think them showing the house is bad because it proves how loving totally fake the rest of it is

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I tend to have sympathy for the contestants if anything these days. Sure they're a bit thick for applying in the first place but every second of footage is manipulated to make them look at incompetent and vile as possible. The only real monsters are Sugar's lot (and the producers).

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Rich: And I would ask you this: who is the real sick man in this so called "reality" TV show? Is it the contestants, ordinary folk like you and I, swearing, shouting and undermining one-another in a desperate, naked bid for fame and fortune? Or is it The Businessman, in his suit and tie, manipulating the format and editing the footage to make them all look like pricks?

Stu: It's both of them

Rich: Yup

Stu: Yeah

PS: thanks for the Curious Orange clip The_Doctor, obviously right up my street

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
they did a jimmy savile joke in the intro to a TMWRNJ episode that only made sense over a decade later when we all learned about his necrophilia :/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

God I hate Ricky Gervais.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
he is a horrible oval office, op

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

My god, I watched the first two last night and I see what you mean! The class system stuff is fairly heavy handed, but I really enjoyed it, though and looking forward to watching the rest later on.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/jeopardysfryhostrp1

Congrats to Stephen Fry, who is hosting a pilot for Jeopardy UK.

We need more quiz shows!

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Nice one, hopefully that works out. I watched some of the US one recently and I love how simple it is. Just lots of questions. There's not enough quiz shows like that any more. The Chase is great, but it would be nice to have another quiz show for them to repeat endlessly. Don't see how they'll link the two, but in the US, the chasers are Jeopardy champions. Also, I hope it's a 30min show. Not everything has to be an hour!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Jeopardy is a great format, but they really need to nail the questions. Because the format is so simple and there is very little focus on contestants compared to more flashy quiz shows, balancing easy 100s and super obscure 500s is crucial for compelling viewing experience.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

If it's not 3 hrs long and on a ferris wheel, with Michael McIntyre presenting, then I ain't watching.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It'll be an hour with 20+ minutes of banter. It's just so cheap.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

goatface posted:

It'll be an hour with 20+ minutes of banter. It's just so cheap.

Just make 2 episodes!!

I think the US one goes straight into questions and pauses to speak to the contestants between rounds. Works pretty well.

Pointless is the worst for banal chat. The first round is painfully slow and it's not helped by the fact that a couple could be on 3 times. I don't like the bonus round at all either, but at least it's cut some time from round 1.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There used to be a gameshow on channel 5 that was just headshots of contestants and did absolutely zero banter.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
100% maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wra2ePwi-e8

Good god, this is a lot more rapid-fire than I remember.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that one. Used to like watching that when I didn't go to school.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

TelevisedInsanity posted:

https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/jeopardysfryhostrp1

Congrats to Stephen Fry, who is hosting a pilot for Jeopardy UK.

We need more quiz shows!

Jeopardy is the dumbest quiz show format.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s a show I always DVR, but rarely watch despite liking it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
old-school 15-1 is still the gold standard of TV quiz shows imo

loads of questions, zero banter

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
I like Jeopardy but feel like most of the charm of the show has kind of gone since Trebek died.

Mickolution posted:

Don't see how they'll link the two, but in the US, the chasers are Jeopardy champions.

One of them was part of a winning University Challenge team as well bizarrely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

I don't think that even my mum - who religiously watches literally every crime drama on broadcast TV including repeats of Miss Marple she's seen 100 times - is interested in "Death in Paradise but we've replaced the show's USP with Devon".

has there ever been such a pointless spin-off?