Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

bizwank posted:

That sounds dope af
No kidding. Congrats again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I spent so long chasing a number that I had in my head and when I got there I discovered I was absolutely miserable and hated my life.

So I quit and make less money and also don’t spend every second of every day in a state of panic.

Work a job that you enjoy.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

That's the trick though, finding that and it being financially stable and not dead end/monotonous.

I'm still work from home which has really changed my view of jobs in general, the balance is so much better even though I'm tied to a screen through the best parts of the day. If they had tried to force everyone back into cubes I'd be long gone.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm still looking but I definitely want to find something wfh. I started at a small engine shop last month but that only lasted a week, was a bad fit they really needed a heavy duty guy instead, but it definitely made me rethink if I want to do this stuff as a career or not

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Climate change is cool or whatever. I've had the bike out a lot this winter on the east coast, instead of snowboarding. Lot of days in the 50s.

The bigger bike is still put away

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 20, 2023

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I don't think I've gone more than 2 weeks max between rides this winter in PA. Not complaining, but I'm expecting a brutal summer.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Yeah this vacuum after the annual arctic blasts has been pretty nice, but it's making me worried for Summer's future. To say nothing of what more southerly and westerly states might experience.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Took the insurance off the bike this winter but there would have been so many nice riding days in the PNW this year.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, it's 52 in Portland today and I road about 40 miles. It's been pretty mild and every time I think we're going to have a cold spell it only lasts a couple of days.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I really hope the new Honda CB750 Hornet comes to the states. Yamaha has the twins bike market on lock with the MT07 and R7.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Today I learned that for a few years in the 90s Kawasaki had three different generations of ZX600 on showroom floors at the same time: the former GPZ600R, the ZX-6/ZZR600, and the ZX-6R

That certainly seems in keeping with the company that sold the Ninja 250 and 500 and the KLR essentially unchanged for like two decades

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I emailed the Kawasaki dealer about the ZX-4RR. They are getting 3, and 2 have already been reserved. It's a $500 non-refundable deposit. The out-the-door price is $12,362.34 :wth: Sort of what I expected, but dang that's a pricey lil bike.

Looks like they come with GPR-300 which is a little disappointing. I think that tire is fine for what it is, but like come on give me an actual sport bike tire (Diablo Rosso, S22, etc., would be totally fine .. doesn't need to be like Q4 or Supercorsa). Hopefully I can sell my CB300R for ~$3k. I pay off my car next month so I should just keep this debt train rolling, the American way.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

That OTD seems pretty reasonable for a hyped up launch like this. I hope you buy one and tell us all about what it's like to own.

IDK what your market is like but clean used beginner bikes like the CB300R still get listed for $4-5k around here, regardless of age or mileage.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah mine was lightly and lovingly crashed when I first started. It doesn't have ABS either. The crash damage is just cosmetic, but I'm sure a new rider will be off put by it. But if I price it too low then maybe everyone assumes something is wrong? :ohdear: I have never sold a bike. The Kawasaki dealer is also the Honda dealer, and they have a used one listed for $6,898 which seems totally insane to me. Mine has nice rear sets (Sato), case covers (GBRacing), and folding, not too tacky, aftermarket levers (ASV), but I know "mods" seldom add value, often even take away. I am hoping I get nearly 100% bonus payout so I have will have money in 3-4 weeks, otherwise :rip:

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Toe Rag posted:

The Kawasaki dealer is also the Honda dealer, and they have a used one listed for $6,898 which seems totally insane to me.

This is a robbery (or money laundering).

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I think the interest rates are going to drive down motorcycle prices soon if not already.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

"I know what I have!" - dealers

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah mine was lightly and lovingly crashed when I first started. It doesn't have ABS either. The crash damage is just cosmetic, but I'm sure a new rider will be off put by it. But if I price it too low then maybe everyone assumes something is wrong? :ohdear: I have never sold a bike. The Kawasaki dealer is also the Honda dealer, and they have a used one listed for $6,898 which seems totally insane to me. Mine has nice rear sets (Sato), case covers (GBRacing), and folding, not too tacky, aftermarket levers (ASV), but I know "mods" seldom add value, often even take away. I am hoping I get nearly 100% bonus payout so I have will have money in 3-4 weeks, otherwise :rip:

When you're trying to gauge your old bike's listing price, those freight and dealer prep line items are worth bearing in mind btw, alongside the general challenges of finding a good starter bike (even with a little rash). Don't sell your bike short, in California I think most people buying through a dealership expect to be walking out the door paying at least another $700-$1000 in fees over the listing price. Your own invoice also shows how much higher it can go, by most accounts without them having a hard time moving it.

Case in point: the VanVan I almost bought two winters ago was a 2017 model at a dealership listed for $3700, with a few thousand miles on it. At the same time there was this '18 on craigslist for $4350, like new with only ~350mi, garage stored inland an hour's drive away. I went and sat on the one at the dealership first, loved the fit, but it had enough corrosion to suggest outdoor storage and the tool bag was missing. I was a little disappointed in its condition but told myself $650 was a lot of money to blow on minor things that were probably entirely aesthetic. I figured I should probably just buy the cheaper one I had in hand.

Then I got the sales guy. They were willing to knock off $100 for the missing toolbag, so $3600, but that became $4218 out the door after taxes, fees and over $500 in "freight and dealer prep". I ended up leaving to think on it, got ahold of the craigslist guy, told him the dealer's price and we agreed on $4000. I then spent the rest of the work week on pins and needles for fear he'd change his mind and sell it at the full listing price to someone else it before I could get up there, because the bike market is insanely random. I've been watching craigslist and facebook in the year and a half since then, and I've seen practically nothing listed that meets the same criteria of a good starter bike that's not been abused or hyper-modified and then re-posted for $4000+. If yours just has a bit of cosmetic damage like pretty much every starter, I'd treat it like the nothing it is for a couple months if you can hold out that long.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 25, 2023

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I'm also in a similar situation. I'm about to sell my learner bike. I have only a faint idea what I should ask for it. It's a 2016 Honda CBR300R with ABS, in good shape, about 15 000 km on the clock. I paid 2.8 kiloEuros for it two years and 10 000 km ago and I sort of think I can get at least as much when I sell, probably a bit more. How much more? No idea. There's so few of these bikes on the market that I don't know what a reasonable asking price would be. Not in any hurry to sell so I guess I'll start out at 3.5 and work my way down if there aren't any takers.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Had a cold wet ride today in northern humboldt. Neck gaiter was clutch but eventually my bones got cold and I turned around

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

installed a midpipe db killer thing tonight on my er6. i was finding the aftermarket exhaust i slapped on there a bit tiring. pretty happy where it landed with this thing in there, nice sound without blowing my eardrums out. surprised i didnt come across it sooner.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
There's all sorts of thingies like that - end pipe baffle usually screws in and out. They have midpipe baffles and also like small catalytic baffles that go exactly where that does.

I have this 125cc chinabike. Those drastically alter the performance of it, not always in a specifically bad or good way, but definitely in a way where I have to touch the air\fuel ratio with the carb.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
My new Bonneville T120 will be delivered on Wednesday. My partner called the spreadsheet I started to track accessories I want to add to it as my “Pinterest” and I’ve never been so owned.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Geekboy posted:

My new Bonneville T120 will be delivered on Wednesday. My partner called the spreadsheet I started to track accessories I want to add to it as my “Pinterest” and I’ve never been so owned.

Nice, congrats!!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Thanks! I’m supremely stoked.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That looks so cool. It doesn't even look all that tall.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
New to me experience: clutch cable snapped while I was riding :shepface:

Pulled up to a stoplight and was like drat, it's really hard to find neutral, what the hell? Then turned the corner and just as I shifted into third, bloop.

Fortunately I was only about 10 blocks from home and it was mostly flat. Still not fun to push around 400 lbs. Phooo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yes, in retrospect I could have put it in neutral, started it up, got rolling and just rode back home in second probably. But it's a Monday morning and there's lots of commuter traffic . Shut up

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

TotalLossBrain posted:

That looks so cool. It doesn't even look all that tall.

It is in fact the opposite, got mine explicitly for a short passenger with mobility issues. 29” inseam myself and it’s just right, except for coming in a little low on the knee pads.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Remy Marathe posted:

It is in fact the opposite, got mine explicitly for a short passenger with mobility issues. 29” inseam myself and it’s just right, except for coming in a little low on the knee pads.

29" inseam myself here. It's a struggle, especially with dual sports/enduros

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No NOS Hawk GT clutch cables available. Should I get a used OEM cable, or a new aftermarket one? What brands are good? Motion Pro seems fine?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 6, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Aftermarket cables are crazy hit and miss in terms of how close the sheath and related external bits are. Otoh a used clutch cable also seems like a crap idea just on principle. Tough call. Maybe try to get a new one from a place with a solid return policy and then make sure it's bloody identical.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, those are the same thoughts I was having.

Looks like JD Hord of Hordpower, who won multiple championships on Hawks GT and knows more about working on these bikes than anyone else, sells the Motion Pro cables. I'll go with that.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Dime city cycles also sells barrels and nipples. I soldered my own with some flux for stainless and stainless cable. It's extra work but it's always a valid fallback. I had problems with Chinese cable crimp failing.

Stock throttle cable snapped. Was riding w a friend. It was carbed so I adjusted the A/F and idle speed to a ridable rpm and he just rode with clutch only to get home. Was funny as hell.

Always paranoid about clutch cable failing. A few times a year I go out and practice clutchless shifting. It's a pia but feels so good when done well.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 7, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve never had a bad motion pro cable

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
my dad always told me to carry a spare cable just in case for that reason. His advice was to never trust it on a used bike and change it as part of the new buyer experience, and to not trust a cable because it could fail with no notice and could cause me to get hurt. Is it being overprotective? likely, but the cables weren't to expensive for the vstar and was better overall to be cautious. And if need be I could change a broken one on the side of the road pretty easily.

The valk instead uses a hydraulic clutch and I should change those hoses out when I get the chance. Doesn't feel like I can realistically change that on the side of the road lol

made me remember that my first bike we bought an aftermarket clutch piece to make the clutch stiffer. YAMA 650 classic and the stock clutch tended to be pretty loose and engage at the end of the level. Aftermarket part was literally just a sleeve that made the cable tighter but the clutch feel a ton smoother. That plus putting stock exhaust were the only things that we ended up doing on that bike before I sold it two years later for the 1300

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Forget the hoses, on basically every hydraulic clutch bike the first thing to go is the slave cylinder because it's constantly getting super hot. Often just having the temerity to remove the thing to get it out of the way is enough to bust a seal, the goldwing is no exception.

E: whoops, autocorrect strikes again

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 7, 2023

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Slavvy posted:

Forget the hoses, on basically every hydraulic clutch bike the first thing to go is the slave cylinder because it's constantly getting super hot. Often just having the temerity to remove the tiny to get it out of the way is enough to bust a seal, the goldwing is no exception.

the temerity to remove the what?

also will keep that in mind, super appreciate your advice on that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well that was quick. Ordered the new clutch cable on Monday afternoon, and here it is on my doorstep Wednesday morning. Nice work eBay free shipping.

I am increasingly questioning why I still have an Amazon prime account. eBay has all of the same stuff with shipping that's nearly as fast and it doesn't give any money to Beeze or cost an annual fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yeah same boat. Also the next renewal is going to be nearly $200 and I'm at the point where it's just not worth it. I don't care about free Amazon storage or movies or music or whatever