Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Elder Postsman posted:

yeah and like the shiny new ship is a refit constitution saucer?

and it has the old style phaser nubs, and the new style phaser banks??? oh and they cut the back off and

it's just all so stupid

look at all those stage lights. it is really fun and silly that they decided to do that for exterior shots rather than just pretend the entire ship was bathed in light somehow like they did in the 90s series. the design team must have had a ball.

and that's not the warp core or whatever, they're deliberate exterior lights. if those lines at the edge are windows, the walls floors and ceilings must be lined in LED flood lights. but in any case they wouldn't have windows even with transparent aluminum when they could just make a display into a pretend window (like they do on the bridge)

just have the whole ship be visible at all times like you used to. it's fine. nobody complained and it looks cooler anyway. then you can have them turn on "stealth mode" or whatever and it's just a couple drive lights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the designs are fine, they also suffer from the prequel trap too (and sequel to a lesser extent though)

for the prequels, they have the same problem enterprise did. it's actually later in real life, so literally everything will look more advanced than it did unless you go for a retro aesthetic. but you are also deliberately setting these things in a certain time period — think of it as a period piece, then. things should not look more or less advanced than they did. they can look different, but that's not the same thing

for sequels, people will still complain that it's not the same thing. well, no poo poo, that's because it isn't and it's not supposed to be. don't tell me it is the same though and certainly don't bring back something like the enterprise-D because people are complaining about this: make it distinct. for all the proclamations that "this is a different show" they are bizarrely fixated on not moving on

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
why did they ever even try to justify having children on a federation ship? thats the big thing about wesley to me. like in what deranged mental state are you in to head starfleet and say "hmm yes, this environment is fine to put children into. we're deploying you to kosovo but it's bring your kid to work day so drag em along!"

the only way it could be remotely acceptable would be if like, every other starship had exceedingly boring jaunts and the enterprise was the only one that was an anomaly in its constant battles and fights and appearances by horny immortals that bang the captain. but in that case they should have a "kids on starships are okay except for the enterprise, they get into too much poo poo" voyager gets a pass for naomi wildman because well she's slightly stuck there. but how bad a mother do you have to be to be the doctor on a ship that constantly has to fight very risky things and think "this is a healthy and good environment for my teenage son"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

strange new worlds is good. it would be better with no spock though (i am so sick of spock, he's the skywalker of star trek)

lower decks is great

in other news, i watched only lovers left alive last night and it was freaking great

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
that's the way DS9 explains jake pretty much: it's basically shown as being fine (he enjoys it even) until it's not. which is about as realistic as it can get with the concept and i think it works

because practically it would probably happen like that. it's also noted that yeah, most of the starfleet deployments are pretty safe: they're supposed to be mostly explorers and scientists. that brings its own element of danger obviously but it's usually a manageable risk

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jonny 290 posted:

why did they ever even try to justify having children on a federation ship? thats the big thing about wesley to me. like in what deranged mental state are you in to head starfleet and say "hmm yes, this environment is fine to put children into. we're deploying you to kosovo but it's bring your kid to work day so drag em along!"

the only way it could be remotely acceptable would be if like, every other starship had exceedingly boring jaunts and the enterprise was the only one that was an anomaly in its constant battles and fights and appearances by horny immortals that bang the captain. but in that case they should have a "kids on starships are okay except for the enterprise, they get into too much poo poo" voyager gets a pass for naomi wildman because well she's slightly stuck there. but how bad a mother do you have to be to be the doctor on a ship that constantly has to fight very risky things and think "this is a healthy and good environment for my teenage son"
the tng idea was that the ship was on a years-long mission and that it would be cruel to separate people from their families for such long periods so the ship brought their families with them

it was one of those dumb early half-baked roddenberry ideas (like have the ship psychologist be part of the bridge command staff, or having the ranks on the ship being less military rank and more like an airline, or the ship breaking into two ships every time there was a threat) that largely got ignored or handwaved away once gene stroked out and other people took control of the show

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
but they're not on some fuckin deep space poo poo! they interact with other ships and stations all the time! S1E19

While Wesley takes a Starfleet Academy entrance exam, the senior staff of the Enterprise are placed under investigation by Starfleet.

They could have popped him on a shuttle back to earth right fuckin' then! RARRRGH!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jonny 290 posted:

but they're not on some fuckin deep space poo poo! they interact with other ships and stations all the time! S1E19

While Wesley takes a Starfleet Academy entrance exam, the senior staff of the Enterprise are placed under investigation by Starfleet.

They could have popped him on a shuttle back to earth right fuckin' then! RARRRGH!

quote:

dumb early half-baked roddenberry idea
there is a reason tng s1 and s2 had such ridiculously high turnover in the writers room

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i mean it's also worth pointing out that a lot of people seem to simply just not have kids in that environment. some people do think it's insane. the classes they show on TNG and DS9 have like 10 kids in them for a population of thousands+

which might be because they're throwaway scenes cast with young stand-ins, but you could also think of it as an indictment of the policy. i guess. lol

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Achmed Jones posted:

strange new worlds is good. it would be better with no spock though (i am so sick of spock, he's the skywalker of star trek)

yeah. it does at least make sense in SNW because he always was on the enterprise under pike. but putting him in discovery, and also he's the half brother of the main character and

it's just all so stupid

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah even if you accept "the cage" never happened and things unfolded the way it's shown in "the menagerie" (even though it is also firmly established that both happened, tight writing gene), it's unavoidable

it's literally spock's motivation for acting so distinctly out of character and it works, both as motivation and explanation. when they try and retcon poo poo even further than that it usually falls apart. i think it's reasonable to ask the audience to accept a little bit of that, but an entire character's already very well established backstory? get outta here with that poo poo just make a new thing. its okay if they're similar, people will just deservedly call you a hack

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
guys i am begging you: discuss at least one other show

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rotor posted:

not dr who

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

what do you mean, they're talking about like seven different shows

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

that is like 5 different shows

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

what do you mean, they're talking about like seven different shows

lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yall know what i mean ok

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

“actually we are discussing all 12 of t he hairy potter movies so”

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

rotor posted:

this is a battle that cannot be won

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

“actually we are discussing all 12 of t he hairy potter movies so”

no, this is star trek, rotor. harry potter is the one with wizards

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
although now that you mention it, they both involve magical teleportation

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
let’s talk about earth final conflict, the ‘Roddenberry’ show that would kill most of the main cast and change tone and premise every season.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

kill most of the main cast
hey, it worked for Spooks

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

star trek is dumb poo poo for babies. it's a mediocre series of shows at best.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Sweevo posted:

yeah but it's fine to like mediocre stuff, just ask your parents

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
there is a lot of star trek and there is a lot that happens, and the cast is pretty good. sometimes the writing is even pretty good

that makes it a fun thing to discuss and it has a lot of things nerdy people like, sometimes for different reasons than why you might or might not. that also makes it fun to discuss

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jabor posted:

although now that you mention it, they both involve magical teleportation

i'm pretty sure they just poop wherever too

Sweevo posted:

yes, but it's been around for 50 years so there's a lot of it to talk about

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

I'll chime in when I start watching s5 of Made In Canada or Girls5Eva :)

there's literally nothing else on my radar as far as scripted fiction atm

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

rotor posted:

absolutely not

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i like talking about star trek even more than i like watching it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
is this any deece

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

I'll chime in when I start watching s5 of Made In Canada or Girls5Eva :)

there's literally nothing else on my radar as far as scripted fiction atm

join me in watching The Knick for the first time. I just started season 2 it's good

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

indigi posted:

join me in watching The Knick for the first time. I just started season 2 it's good

hey i started watching that recently too. i'm about halfway through season 1 and yeah it's pretty good

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

did you get to the part where they invent the compressive bladder for the previa procedure

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the show is good generally, characters plots production all that, but a big part of the fun is when it highlights the insanity of turn of the 20th century medicine. like the very first scene is the doctors sanitizing for a procedure and the main doctor carefully dips just his beard into a bowl of water held by a nurse

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

Just don't read the thread. it's that simple.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
they didn't do this deliberately but it's pretty funny it ended up this way, with star trek there are basically two schools of nerds

one that likes to treat everything on-screen as canon inviolate. this is represented by the tv/film media and online by "memory alpha", a wiki named after the federation information archive

and others that like to see the same characters, just in outlandish scenarios and acting uncharacteristically. these are usually novels and are on the online wiki "memory beta"

and, well. lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
there also was another one dedicated to fan material, i think it was memory gamma? zeta? whatever, it was terrible

well anyway those are the ones writing picard

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
:doh: q != edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

rotor posted:

fine

do any of you like gravity fall but think it needed more swearing and should be way less good? then inside job is for you