Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Why it has purple camo? Or its just my screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OctaMurk posted:

So it can blend in with the sky-cabbages.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OctaMurk posted:

Borsch

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OctaMurk posted:

pre-order skin

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol I mean, if you think about it just in terms of the time needed to modify the Ukrainian camo scheme for the F-16, deliver the paint and plans to whichever place outside of Ukraine the refits would be done at, including installing Ukrainian writing in the cockpit, I suppose printing Ukrainian manuals, it's all very funny. That's quite a bit of work, eh?

More accurate to their hopes, and what I suspect they are actually asking for, would be a European or USAF F-16 with the roundel hastily painted over and a maybe Ukrainian, probably not, pilot flying the aircraft. Sort of like the US delivery of aircraft to Israel in 1973 where they just barely had the Israeli insignia painted on and were delivered directly from US units iirc, not even storage.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
yeah, "give us f-16's" really means "transfer the f16s to a cia special air unit staffed by american pilots that are on loan"

they want to draw the us into the war directly and thats the next step

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

What’s the end game here? if they make the war existential for Russia they’ll get flattened by nukes in two seconds flat

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

What’s the end game here? if they make the war existential for Russia they’ll get flattened by nukes in two seconds flat

gotta build a betrayal myth so that a) you're less likely to get merced by your nazis and b) so that you can still pretend to be a big drat hero who was let down for the grift circuit

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Endman posted:

I don’t think Ukraine has any capability to make the war existential for Russia.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
ukraine will win

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

AnimeIsTrash posted:

ukraine will win

Heck yes my brother.

https://twitter.com/NataliaAntonova/status/1499842632649949195

Love the sicko energy of this tweet. Heh heh heh... would be a shame... :twisted:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I mean, I know what the US’s goal here is; it’s just Brzezinski’s Afghanistan Bear Trap 2: Donbas Boogaloo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Futanari Damacy posted:

Heck yes my brother.

https://twitter.com/NataliaAntonova/status/1499842632649949195

Love the sicko energy of this tweet. Heh heh heh... would be a shame... :twisted:

When the invasion kicked off people were talking about how he and other Russian players should be suspended from the NHL.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Honestly the most embarrassing part of this for Russia is the Kremlin falling for the same gambit twice while the first time is still within the living memory of most of their government.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

AnimeIsTrash posted:

ukraine will win

slava ukrani

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

AnimeIsTrash posted:

When the invasion kicked off people were talking about how he and other Russian players should be suspended from the NHL.

What would even the point of that be. It's such petty "make it sting" bullshit

All it does is reinforce the fact that the long term goal has always been the exclusion and eventual destruction of the Russian state. So much toothless aggression from the west but behind it is a very genuine and stupid existential hatred.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Colonial states can’t help but be racist

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://ukraina.ru/20230213/1043504270.html

quote:

- Pavel, since we decided not to give your last name, tell the reader about yourself.

- In peace time I was called Pasha, but here I am called Pasha "Aramis". I have been in Donbass for five months now, and before that I worked in the higher education system: at the Crimean Federal University and then at MIPT.

Now I serve in the former 107th Battalion of the DNR People's Militia. Now I am a sniper, but before that I was
the "eyes", on positions.

- Why "Aramis"?

- This call sign was born here - in Donetsk. Now breaking the wishes of the big military bosses - to be clean-shaven and have my collar sewn on. I got a little shaggy. When I first arrived, I wore a mustache like the soviet Aramis. My colleagues didn't think too long and started to call me that. And why not? I am Aramis in words and Aramis in deeds.

- How did a university teacher turn into a sniper?

- No, no, I'm not a teacher. I'm an administrator. I worked in different positions.

- Still intelligencia. Unfortunately, they often have different values.

- The trouble with our intelligencia is that their words do not match their deeds. I have never exuded pacifism towards our disrespected partners, considering what they are doing, so words were followed by deeds - I am here. This, by the way, countered a lot of piques about "why aren't you there" sent to me.

- You just came over?

- Not quiet. The word of mouth works here. I came here with my colleagues. Let's just say... the opportunity to serve in a well-established unit is expensive.

- And how do you become a real sniper?

- First of all, I'm not a magician yet, I'm just learning. A sharp shooter turns into a sniper, but it's like reaching the state of Buddha: a person can strive for it, but never achieve it.
Secondly, snipers have no magical powers. Can't shoot spider web out of their hands, nor lasers out of their eyes. Ordinary people. The main thing is practice.

- And endurance, cool bloodedness and... what else do they attribute to movie snipers?

- Yes, yes, a hot heart and a cold mind! (laughs) It's a matter of taste and color, so to speak. In my opinion, the main thing is practice and enthusiasm. Maybe you also need some minimal talent, so your hands don't shake.

- How similar is your work in general to what we see in movies?

- It's not very similar. In fact, we are individual foot soldiers that support the infantry using rifles with optics, and are more or less qualified to hit. The movies more often show high-precision snipers, who work at very different distances. No, in principle we can perform such tasks, but the equipment for that is specific.

- And what distances do you work at?

- You can shoot an SVD at four hundred or five hundred meters, if you're lucky. I've heard legends about those who shoot at nine hundred meters, or even a kilometer, and hit bullseye like your William Tell, but I don't believe it. No, if such people exist, they are super-talented, but we work at medium distances. At the range of combat, if I may put it that way.

- The Americans would call you a Marksman, right?

- Sort of. A sniper is someone who works at long range. A Marksman is an infantry sniper in a squad. Like in the movies about marines we all used to watch.
We have a combined role here. There are, for example, deployed snipers. It all depends on the task at hand. But we are armed with our standard army rifles.

- So you don't lie in positions 24 hours a day, waiting for the enemy general?

- Again, it depends on the task at hand. Super-trained snipers, for example, have anti-matter rifles that can work on equipment and firing points. At one and a half to two kilometers you can shoot twelve-millimeter rounds. It's essentially a cannon with a scope. With these rifles you lie down.

But there are also good carbines, like those of Lobayev, which are popular for a reason. They're good. The effective range is a kilometer. With those you can start hunting , targeting bad guys and other negative elements.

- There is an opinion that LobaevArms rifles are the best in the world. How well-founded is it?

- Given the discourse I'm watching, it's reasonable. These rifles are praised and regularly take places in high-precision shooting. In addition, colleagues who are happy owners of these rifles do not complain about them.
Here, however, I only observed such rifles twice. I looked at them, licked my lips, and that was the end of our acquaintance. Now, if all goes well, I will also become the owner of a good rifle, which will expand my possibilities of upsetting bad guys.

- We talked about the standard armament - the Dragunov sniper rifle, but today there are also "Trilineyka" in use, and the opinion leaders from the first days of the SVO talk about the urgent need to rearm the snipers. What do you think about that?

- Certainly, I agree with them! No, the SVD solves its problems to the fullest extent. As an infantry rifle for, as it is fashionable to say nowadays, the Marksman, it is a normal story. Like the American's self-loading carbine, which is essentially an assault rifle, pumped up for more accurate combat.

The "Mosin" is already a vintage item. I saw a more experienced colleague with a modified Mosin. It has a different stock, bipod, bottle, and thermal. The man can work with it, he is used to it and does not complain. On the other hand, you can offer him something fashionable from Lobayev or Manlicher and he will definitely not refuse.

As for the SVD or SVDS, I have no complaints about it. Quite an acceptable weapon, but for its own tasks. Nevertheless, we hope that something more high-precision, meeting the requirements of modern warfare will appear, as it is really necessary to rearm.

- Have you upgraded your rifle in any way?

- I'm an expert in the world of weapons! (laughs) I upgraded it, of course. I have a scope at the moment. Quite modest one - POSP. I also have a thermal, thermal imager. Also a good BRT "bottle" - a gift from my comrade and fellow serviceman, who flies a drone. Thanks a lot to him!

- "Bottle" is now called something between a silencer and a suppressor, right?

- A "bottle" is not really a silencer, yes. It's a suppressor with a silencer function. The old school guys get very aggravated when we call it all "bottles" in a fashionable and youthful way. They demand that we call it a muzzle brake-compensator, but the slang inevitably creeps into our speech.

This thing is a flash suppressor, muffles the sound, and reduces recoil, which is not unimportant. The "bottle" allows you to shoot the SVD several times in a row without losing your aiming point. But there is a price: if you use the "bottle" you have to clean the gun twice as often, as it gets incredibly dirty.

Speaking of army slang, I'm getting some new "paws" soon. These are, in case you don't know, bipods. I'll just put them on and that's it. Ah yes! Now let's see how this "thermal" will work out. Maybe I'll have to get another one. But in general, I'm counting on adding a rifle of a different class to my arsenal.

- Returning to the specifics of the sniper's work, I want to ask about another movie and literary cliché. The sniper, they say, sees the face of the enemy he kills, and therefore experiences strong psychological stress. Is this true?

- Nonsense. In any sight you can see the face of the enemy, but it does not bother you in any way. You shoot, you do your job. There's just no time for sentiment right now. I don't rule out that the time for sentiment will come later, but certainly not now.

About the same as under fire. When we first came under AGS fire, I wasn't so much frightened as surprised. It was a non-trivial event. Nevertheless, I quickly oriented myself and became very, very small. Reflections and worries - later.

- And now what is the attitude toward the enemy?

- I thought about it and came up with this explanation: the adversary is a loved one who has turned into a zombie. Like in those zombie apocalypse movies. Here you have a zombie sister, or even a zombie spouse. She hasn't stopped being a wife, but she's been zombified. She is aggressive, trying to bite you, maul your neighbors, and turn them into zombies. What to do?

So they have a zombie ideology there, too. Until we find some solution or a vaccine against this, we have to either isolate them from society somehow, or fight. If we don't want to be bitten.

- You are a volunteer, and there are a lot of volunteers around you. But if you listen to our liberals, then Russians are not at all interested in this war. How is it really like?

- This is the trouble with our media support. What are liberals good at? They are as loud as they can be. God forbid a leaf should fall on a liberal's head or prick his finger with a hedgehog needle, they will immediately raise a howl to heavens. Their network knows how to replicate their opinions extremely effectively. They were building it for long time and diligently.

Nevertheless, people are interested in the war, and it concerns everyone, including the aforementioned liberals. They, by the way, shout and stomp their feet the loudest, and telling the whole world about their lack of interest. Although they can no longer focus on anything else.

"Don't even dare talk to me about the war," they write, while all they have on their agenda is war-war-war, "evil Russians". No thanks.

- Were there many who did not understand your desire to go to war?

- A huge number! I am a contact person, so I know people even in the liberal camp. Other people reacted as inadequately as possible. I gave up on such people straight away, because I cannot bear swearing and filthy rudeness. Besides, none of them dared to talk to me face to face. Nevertheless, I received my share of curses from them.

There were also more reasonable people. Such people spoke out against it, but we continue to communicate. Those of my friends who disapproved just don't bring up these topics with me now. Everyone knows very well where I am and what I do. There was a little debate in which one friend stated that I would lose my soul. Absolutely not. I still have my soul today.

- You are fighting in the Marinka direction. What is the situation? Will the flag of the Russian Federation soon fly over the city?

- We will definitely take Marinka, but the point is not just to take the city and tick a check box. I will express my strictly personal opinion without going into military secrets, which I do not know anyway. If it is more effective to act the way we do now, then we should continue.

They have fortresses there, as they conventionally call it. They built them over eight years. But they were kicked out of everything, leaving a small, small patch. And that's where the endless hordes are rushing in. It's just like a "zerg rush". They want to rush in there, be my guest.

- I often hear from our military about the Ukrainian "zerg rush". Is it really similar?

- To a certain extent, yes. I hope that it will become less and less effective in the future. Zerg rush is known to work at the beginning of the game, but not at the end. Let's hope that's the end of the game. Hopefully they don't go easy on their brothers getting throwing them into the furnace, if that's what they want. Maybe the survivors of this experiment will become a little more sensible. In the meantime, they are rushing into the big meat grinder.

- Am I correct in assuming that the task is not just to take Maryinka?

- The main task, as I understand it, is to secure Donetsk by pushing this bad company away. But if they have a supply of fresh units there, and we've got our bearings and learned how to fight on those lines, it makes no sense to change our advantageous disposition.

It is clear that Marinka will be taken, as everything is heading towards it. There is a pwtch of "ukrop" Marinka left, and it is a Stonehenge, a ruins. There are remnants of their forts and some whole forts still left, but I do not see a big problem in taking them.

It's our business to work, and it's our commanders business to think about how to make the most of us.

- We are talking in the Petrovsky district of Donetsk, one of the most dangerous. Is it being shelled from Marinka?

- Wherever there are roads, ukrop can deploy their artillery. Krasnogorovka is still under them. The task is to drive them away to the range of "axes", or, better, at the range of their rocket artillery. It's a matter of a lot of labour and some time.

Everyone understands that out of the malice and nastiness of the Ukrainian leadership, they will continue to shoot back and forth just to harass people. And they will keep shooting until they get hit on the head, because we are dealing with real scumbags.

- Six months in the war is a lifetime. Can you remember the most vivid experience?

- All the combat moments are vivid, because 80% of the time is everyday life and training, and 20% of the time is adventure and risk. The first shelling, the first going out with a wounded man. Or when a trench is flooded with rain, and you are struggling to survive by scooping out the liquid mud. The night, wild cold, and you're saving your one meter by two meter place, covered by a tent, which did not keep out the rain.

And at that moment... what? That's right! At that moment, a rat falls on you. The most ordinary rat falls right down your back, screaming wildly because it is trapped, but it is not going to die or run away. You engage in an unequal fight with it, trying to kick it out, and it tries to kick you out. To my shame, by the way, I have to admit that a rat kicked me out of my foxhole. I had to retreat to a nearby foxhole and sleep there like sprats in a can, waiting for mine to dry out. By then the rat had left me, and thank God!

- It fell right down the back of your neck? Really?

- Yeah, by the scruff! Then she was lying on the ground, yelling, running back and forth and looking menacing, and I was trying to swing the ramrod at it, because I didn't want to get bitten. At some point she hid, and I hid too, and there was a "gray zone" between us where neither of us went. Then I decided to regroup, but the rat had already retreated. I think (laughs) it had lost its nerve or ran out of provisions.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

This just reminds me of Wali the sniper who the media thought would be the Messi of the Ukrainian war before fleeing after two weeks

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Endman posted:

Honestly the most embarrassing part of this for Russia is the Kremlin falling for the same gambit twice while the first time is still within the living memory of most of their government.

Not so much falling for a trap as having no choice. And to arm the trap the US is willing to risk ww 3 kicking off.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

ZOKA's Channel posted:

Poor Russian Kord heavy machine gun after heavy fire.

@zoka200
(from t.me/zoka200/7191, via tgsa)

:stonk:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Um, I think that barrel isn't straight anymore. Unless it's some camera lens geometry artifact.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

thats not candy posted:

yeah, "give us f-16's" really means "transfer the f16s to a cia special air unit staffed by american pilots that are on loan"

they want to draw the us into the war directly and thats the next step

theres probably enough f16 pilots in the world who would just volunteer to fly for ukraine because they think theyre gonna be mobius one

maintainin the f16s tho . . . dont think anyones gonna be volunteering to turn wrenches on a frigid airfield while at constant risk of cruise missiles

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BadOptics posted:

Not until Operation REVIVAL in August, 3049 will such courtesy be given in warfare. Coincidence that the Clans don't use IFVs and simply have their infantry hang on to battlemechs? I think not.

I did not know this and am lolling at the thought of having to unass from a timberwolf moving at 24m/s piloted by a guy who totally gives a gently caress about the infantry

poo poo training/trigger discipline + no spare barrels

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

supersnowman posted:

The back to back sitting in BMPs was also probably tough to help fighting from inside the vehicle via it's gun ports. Might have been a stupid idea but until you know it won't work, you kind of have to seat your troops in a way to use the feature.

at a guess, another more macabre pro to having the troops be sitting back to back is that if one side is penetrated by something dangerous, with a bit of luck only half of them die instead of all of them.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Lostconfused posted:

Um, I think that barrel isn't straight anymore. Unless it's some camera lens geometry artifact.

Yeah no it's hosed.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I know the interforum stuff is frowned upon but were being accused of being actual paid agents of Putin and 'pooped pamps' were mentioned again

Its happening again 😂😂😂

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

I know the interforum stuff is frowned upon but were being accused of being actual paid agents of Putin and 'pooped pamps' were mentioned again

Its happening again 😂😂😂

imo lets just not revisit this at all

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Everyone wants to talk about tanks, but nobody wants to talk about the poor trains.

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1627745471023222807

https://twitter.com/TimInHonolulu/status/1627724543778500608

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Regarde Aduck posted:

man military vehicle designers hate infantry

just want them to die horribly

dudes rock

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

Its happening again 😂😂😂

its incredibly stupid but after a year the most obvious conclusion is not to post in that thread, it's like wrestling a pig in the mud. No-one wins in that scenario.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

uh ackshually that's not a Kord but an older NSV

maybe learn to identify minute external differences between different soviet/russian heavy machine guns?

January 6 Survivor has issued a correction as of 23:27 on Feb 20, 2023

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

dont even waste time mentioning those weird creeps let them have their insane asylum

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
jai hind

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Regarde Aduck posted:

Its happening again 😂😂😂

lets just let pyf handle this round

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

I was born a machine gun, but I wanted to be a lightsaber.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I don't do this for the money just my once weekly thank-you PM from Putin himself (yes he has an account, no I won't snitch). he writes my username on a piece of paper and draws a heart next to it so I know he's serious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
This thread needs to stop talking poo poo about mudwrestling pigs