Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

poe meater posted:

So do most players just have sub-60 fps when playing streets?

i get "60" but the issue is it's not steady at all, huge frame drops when aiming down sights sometimes and stutters throughout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Had the entire game just stutter to a stop while clicking a PMC in a stairwell on streets. I just kind of panic waved my mouse a bit as sound was still playing, and when my FPS rose above 1 two-seconds later I was hosed up, but standing over a dead body.... So okay I guess?

Otherwise it mostly runs fine.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Doubleposting because fuckit.

Was just reviewing my stats screen and noticed this... When in the gently caress did I kill a single boss? Much less 3? I know I tangled with Reshala and his goons twice, headshot one of Sanitars guards for fun while passing pier, and I ran into Glukhar and crew in the depot once and died swiftly, but pretty sure I never killed the big guys in any of these cases. Boss guards don't count, do they?

Also its been two days and what the gently caress, I CANNOT for the life of me escape from Shoreline alive. Trying to grab the chem container for Vitamins Part 1 and no matter where I go or what I do, I end up running into and getting hunted down by a chad. At least I managed to knock out Spa Tour Part 1 during all these attempts. Most disappointing was when I messed up a grenade throw over the fence at an approaching PMC, poo poo talked him for a minute, then successfully flanked and hosed him, then hosed his duo buddy I didn't even know was there. Decided to skip the resort and just get out with the loot, and ran facefirst into a chad in the middle of loving nowhere and got headeyes'd before I could even get my gun up.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Does Santa count?

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

There's a Santa? I KILLED HIM!?

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

DrHammond posted:

There's a Santa? I KILLED HIM!?

Wipe happened when the Christmas event was still active and there was a Santa scav. That’s the only thing I can think of because usually you’d remember killing a boss. Is your fence rep really low?

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
Raiders and Rogues count toward the 'bosses killed' stat. Not sure if boss guards do or not.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Vayra posted:

Raiders and Rogues count toward the 'bosses killed' stat. Not sure if boss guards do or not.

This is the answer! Merc'd 3 of them in Reserve Bunker a while ago.

E: Also, posting on the internet about it always works. Got out of shoreline with the chemical container intact.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I like hearing people run around yelling at the top of their lungs to not shoot them and that they're simply doing a quest. A hail of gunfire a few seconds after.

While I quietly sit in a corner also trying to do my quest.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Shoreline is a hell map for psychopaths. If this game ever makes it to in-game traders, I am going to immediately shoot Peacekeeper in the face.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I just had a really good raid not realizing server maintenance was about to start. Tons of loot, and killed a PMC and took his Meta HK. Got out with one minute left until the server was supposed to shut down, but got an immediate error upon end of raid.

None of that counted for anything, did it? :sweatdrop:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
There is actually a chance it did. It's hit or miss (or it used to be, when I played). You got the error before you saw any of the extraction screens? If so, likely not, but if you saw even the first one, you might be good.

At least you likely kept everything you went in with, but even that's hit or miss.

Basically, have you prayed to Nikita lately? If so, you should be good. If not, he'll likely punish you.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Eeyy! I didn't get Tarkov'd for once! Backpack full of loot on my character in the hideout this morning.

It was actually a really fun end of raid too. I was at a high enough weight that even walking very slowly drained my stamina, and was at dorms and needed to get to the ZB extract when the 10 minute timer came up. For the most part I just slow hoofed it, but as I passed by checkpoint an AI scav took a few pot shots at me. Unfortunately, this seems to have attracted every single PScav in the area, and moving from checkpoint to the ZB extract was a harrowing experience. Killed at least 5 AI and pscavs in quick succession as I panted my way towards extract.

One pscav was yelling abuse at me for running away so I turned around and shot him as he tried to catch up. Great cap to a raid.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

I think someone said that if you are the last PMC on the map then the AI scavs will start swarming you. Happened to me once where 15+ scav kills in like 13 minutes. Had to scavenge off of the scavs for ammo

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Hit a guy with an impact nade as he was running to the vehicle extract car on woods after he had waited the timer down to the last moment

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Hit a guy with an impact nade as he was running to the vehicle extract car on woods after he had waited the timer down to the last moment

Extremely good poo poo

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I was the guy on the other end of that nade in the exact same situation a few wipes ago. Feels bad man.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek

tarkov is dead

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That's a really good video. I think most of us know about the hacks, how they work, etc, but it was just a well produced video.

Edit: I really wanna play with cheats now. This video is almost bad because now I wish I had cheats to do this kind of poo poo. But no way am I paying for them.

Edit 2: Wow this video is really good. I expect some content creators to be talking about this for the next few days. It'll be one of these things Summit1G, DrLupo, etc, watch on stream. It's really exposing how prevalent the hacks are. When he made the point of "even though they don't acknowledge the wiggle, they still see it and know now I'm cheating, so they change their play" I loving gave up on this game.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 25, 2023

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That video was so damning that it's been removed from the subreddit and is being squelched on every streamer i've watched so far. I watched a streamer go over it within 1 minute and during that minute, every comment about it was hit with his version of a 10 minute ban. Yea they are quieting it down heavily.

They all know who pays the bills I guess.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Soooo... Zero Sievert, then? Or do I get to shitpost about SPTarkov.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

ShowTime posted:

That video was so damning that it's been removed from the subreddit and is being squelched on every streamer i've watched so far. I watched a streamer go over it within 1 minute and during that minute, every comment about it was hit with his version of a 10 minute ban. Yea they are quieting it down heavily.

They all know who pays the bills I guess.

I don't play this, but I've been intrigued about it for a long time. I saw a post about it in the r/games subreddit, I bookmarked it to read more what people thought about it, but hour later half the comments got deleted, how strange

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The response so far has been the usual denial. BSG would absolutely react to community pressure to fix their garbage security if everyone organized*, but learned helplessness reigns.

*boycott_modern_warfare_2_steam_group.png

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Man that's such a disheartening video

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cheating is still worse in say CoD if you end up in the upper MMR brackets.

A scav can always toz you at any time, there are just player bosses too.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Neither of these bits of trivia excuse a cheater population large enough to form a subculture.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Yeah, it's a shame because the potential for the game is insane.

BSG really need to get better with comms. Ignoring community bitching about the usual is fine, but this is such a huge issue for the game.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Dying in COD (even warzone) really doesn't matter. You are in another match in 1 minute and go from zero to end came in 20mins. Each match has zero impact on the next.

It can take dozens of raids to find a single quest items in Tarkov.

Cheaters have a huge impact on loot-based games like Rust and Tarkov. If BSG want this game to be successful they need to prioritise it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Dying in COD (even warzone) really doesn't matter. You are in another match in 1 minute and go from zero to end came in 20mins. Each match has zero impact on the next.

It can take dozens of raids to find a single quest items in Tarkov.

Cheaters have a huge impact on loot-based games like Rust and Tarkov. If BSG want this game to be successful they need to prioritise it.

I don't think a bolded player is going to end up in the top 3% or wherever it gets real bad in CoD. MMR protects most there.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What are you on about? That’s literally every player; someone with ESP or vacuum will just get those quests done an order of magnitude faster.

tjones
May 13, 2005
The thing is you can't overcome hacking. Any game you play that you think is hacker free just has more careful hackers. HWID bans can discourage a lot of people who don't have the money to throw away on new hardware but even games that implement those have healthy hacking populations so it doesn't discourage a lot of players anyway.

If you want a hacker free experience for a game you can choose to play games on a console with crossplay disabled, but then you are limited to console games and even then there are macro based hardware that is widely used on consoles to also gain unfair advantages.

Hacking has been around since the start of PC gaming. People were walling/toggling in Quake 1 tournaments on dialup decades ago. It's not going anywhere and with how sophisticated software is getting it's only going to get worse.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Obviously there's cheating in Tarkov but man that video is disheartening to watch

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Oh good, fatalism.

Division 1 had a tonne of hackers. Division 2 implemented EAC and cheaters had to resort to renting botnets to DDoS you over proximity VoIP IP leaks, and you could stop that by turning the comms off. Good SDL and well-integrated mitigations work, or at least raise the bar high enough that this video would not have been possible. BSG has an extremely poor attitude toward this problem and a community that enables it.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

tjones posted:

The thing is you can't overcome hacking. Any game you play that you think is hacker free just has more careful hackers. HWID bans can discourage a lot of people who don't have the money to throw away on new hardware but even games that implement those have healthy hacking populations so it doesn't discourage a lot of players anyway.

If you want a hacker free experience for a game you can choose to play games on a console with crossplay disabled, but then you are limited to console games and even then there are macro based hardware that is widely used on consoles to also gain unfair advantages.

Hacking has been around since the start of PC gaming. People were walling/toggling in Quake 1 tournaments on dialup decades ago. It's not going anywhere and with how sophisticated software is getting it's only going to get worse.

I agree that it will never be zero, but it is pretty obvious that a dev should implement mitigation strategies. They are focussing heavily on RMT hackers, but those guys are less of an issue because if they have ESP/radar they will mostly be using it to avoid players. If they have aimbot/speedhack then I don't see why they should not be easily detectible.

They don't seem to be doing anything about general ESP/Radar players, which are the most aggravating imo.

tjones
May 13, 2005
It's only inevitable because it has always been this way and continues to be.

Implement anticheat with HWID bans? You'll get more careful cheaters, but cheaters all the same.

I don't know of any game currently on the market that has found a rock solid solution to the hacking problem. Even games that now force you to install low level root kits that run on system start, regardless of whether or not you decide to play the game on that boot cycle, have healthy cheating populations.

I would love to be proven wrong though, so if there is one out there, please let me know what it is.

tjones posted:

Any game you play that you think is hacker free just has more careful hackers.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

tjones posted:

It's only inevitable because it has always been this way and continues to be.

Implement anticheat with HWID bans? You'll get more careful cheaters, but cheaters all the same.

I would love to be proven wrong though, so if there is one out there, please let me know what it is.
The claim you're making isn't falsifiable. I've played enough FPS games in the last twenty years to know that Tarkov's problem is perceptibly worse.

quote:

Even games that now force you to install low level root kits that run on system start, regardless of whether or not you decide to play the game on that boot cycle, have healthy cheating populations.
Post something to back this up. Did Denuvo fry your SSD too?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Shumagorath posted:

Faceit is a third party service for csgo that is largely considered to have one of the best anticheat systems on the market, and it works as tjones describes, but even that service sees its fair number of cheaters. Granted, most of them are banned eventually, but it's still not good enough to stop many before they've put down dozens of games with outlier performances.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

The claim you're making isn't falsifiable. I've played enough FPS games in the last twenty years to know that Tarkov's problem is perceptibly worse.

By what metric are you using to guage how many hackers Tarkov has? Your god given gamer intuition? Or are you doing wiggles as well? LOL

quote:

Nope, SSD is fine. I used the kernel level anticheat example to show that game devs taking complete control of your computer still aren't able to defeat hacks. I'm disregarding any security concerns in this argument. Anticheat is used mostly to placate the gaming population into thinking hacking is impossible. My point is at the end of the day they don't work.

Valorant, COD, APEX, Siege, CS, PUBG, etc all have hackers in the higher ranked lobbies. All have anticheat systems. But it's pointless to continue to name games that do have hacking populations that can be quantified, because I don't know of any that do not.

Now your turn. Name me a game that doesn't have hackers and I'll acquiesce.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
"We should improve the game somewhat."

"AH BUT YOU PARTICIPATE IN THE GAME, CURIOUS!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I would be more worried about their inability to fix major bugs quickly than cheating tbh.

Also that video made me laugh because it showed me that the same cheating community from 15 plus years ago is still alive and well.