Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Fellis posted:

It's exactly isekai, but it's VRMMO power-fantasy: Shangri-La Frontier

https://mangadex.org/title/29ab6984-7c1d-4d45-b925-25aa082b492e/shangri-la-frontier-kusoge-hunter-kamige-ni-idoman-to-su?tab=chapters

Plot premise is that the MC has played so many trash VR games with terrible mechanics and bugs, that when he plays a VR game with good mechanics he's godlike at it. It also doesn't stick with the main game all the time, there are a few arcs where he plays other stuff

e: it's been awhile so i skimmed the first few chapters and i think it takes a bit for them to get mechanic dumpy in an interesting way. I think it's a great read and is more interesting than a lot of other stuff in the same genre

english cut off at chapter 12 and I feel loving ROBBED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

AtomikKrab posted:

You can buy at least the first three volumes at your local bookstore, if you’re desperate for more

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

AtomikKrab posted:

https://manga4life.com/manga/Shangri-La-Frontier

Some of the other aggregators have the missing chapters.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

AtomikKrab posted:

Yeah my bad, I didn’t realize Mangadex didnt have it all. I read it on the scan site awhile ago because mangadex was down when they picked it up iirc

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

I'm lost. This flashback is inconsistent with the previous one, is this implying Hinako is an unreliable narrator?

EDIT: Nevermind that isn't Junko dying in the new flashback. I need to reread this series

Makes you wonder how many people have died at that one specific train station because the total is now 4.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
looks like translations for How to Survive at The Academy died, was one of the ones I kept checking for updates for

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The novel got an official translation from Webtoon (only readable on their mobile app for webnovels, Yonder :shepface:) and they issued a takedown on the fan tl.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Brought To You By posted:

Makes you wonder how many people have died at that one specific train station because the total is now 4.
Making it sound like a Junji Ito inevitable doom. Only survived the first one so she could repeat the cycle

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just saw isekai tensei and decided since it was short and complete I'd binge it sight unseen. Dunno if someone recommended it here or if it showed up via popular/random/whatever on mangadex, but it's interesting and a short read. I dunno if I'd necessarily say it's amazing, and it being "award winning" is a bit of a head scratcher, but I didn't hate it and it had some pretty fun twists to it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think it is too short. it rapidly introduces a bunch of disparate plot threads and then abandons them all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's nice to find a isekai that combos fantasy and sci-fi together. It's why I keep reading that ever-low stakes Heavenly Castle one where the guy gets warped into a new world with a flying fortress full of android drones.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Wish there were some decent spaceship opera isekai ones, but most of them are gag series or eechi slice of life ones

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

GateOfD posted:

Wish there were some decent spaceship opera isekai ones, but most of them are gag series or eechi slice of life ones

I had high hopes for that spaceship captain marooned on fantasy planet isekai, but it's spinning its wheels in a major way.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think it is too short. it rapidly introduces a bunch of disparate plot threads and then abandons them all.

Yeah it had a nice start, but failed to really develop any of the interesting plot threads it brought up.

It’s not awful but it is a disappointing waste of potential.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nemo2342 posted:

It’s not awful but it is a disappointing waste of potential.

Thread title, IMO

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I did dig the reveal that Noah's mom was absolutely the worst person alive and then a chapter or so later it's revealed she's made a bunch of kids she's killed over the centuries. But otherwise it did rush to a conclusion.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

GateOfD posted:

Well, there's this completely unwieldy drink of water (IDK how people are abbreviating it, I think you can just call it "Starship Mercenary" and that won't step on too many toes) about a guy who wakes up in his favorite spaceship MMO and his desperate attempts to find someone who can sell him a decent carbonated beverage, the art of which has been lost in a spacer-dominated culture.

And, y'know, ratting, crystal alien hordes, giant robot sumo with rogue genegineered meats, your usual space hijinks.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Teenage Dragon: https://m.webtoons.com/en/comedy/teenage-dragon/list?title_no=4188

A girl shows up in fantasy world in the body of a dragon. It’s primarily a comedy manhwa so no deep plot, and it was pretty good in the first 10 ch at least.

Also the dragon was swapped into the girl’s body and you get one panel a chapter of how that’s going:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Glazius posted:

Well, there's this completely unwieldy drink of water (IDK how people are abbreviating it, I think you can just call it "Starship Mercenary" and that won't step on too many toes) about a guy who wakes up in his favorite spaceship MMO and his desperate attempts to find someone who can sell him a decent carbonated beverage, the art of which has been lost in a spacer-dominated culture.

And, y'know, ratting, crystal alien hordes, giant robot sumo with rogue genegineered meats, your usual space hijinks.

Yea I been collecting the official volumes, it’s just a slice of life space vacation and lots of space sex

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Fellis posted:

Teenage Dragon: https://m.webtoons.com/en/comedy/teenage-dragon/list?title_no=4188

A girl shows up in fantasy world in the body of a dragon. It’s primarily a comedy manhwa so no deep plot, and it was pretty good in the first 10 ch at least.

Also the dragon was swapped into the girl’s body and you get one panel a chapter of how that’s going:

The panel about the dragon is A++ every time

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

LibrarianCroaker posted:

The novel got an official translation from Webtoon (only readable on their mobile app for webnovels, Yonder :shepface:) and they issued a takedown on the fan tl.

oh no, *coughs up blood*
one of those purchase coins to buy chapters apps.

you get a daily pass to unlock a chapter day. oh okay...maybe not as bad.."energy passes only unlock chapters for 3 days" O_O and energy pass expires after one day
have to use coins to permanently unlock chapters.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it absolutely is but I don't think it necessarily completely failed. Fits the 7ish rating it has.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also I love demon king dad just hanging out in the spaceship bar in casual wear but still being an armored horned demon man

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

The panel about the dragon is A++ every time

I think it’s elevated because the comedy of the main comic is basically your dumbass tabletop adventuring party’s bluff checks, so the little hit of drama at the end contrasts a lot.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Fellis posted:

Dominic versus the cannibal monster has been my favorite chapter so far.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

marshmallow creep posted:

Dominic versus the cannibal monster has been my favorite chapter so far.

Dominic pulling the sword out of the stone is A++

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fellis posted:

This is fun. I need a Webtoon list, there's lots of good stuff there that I'm just not able to find. I like The Fabled Warrior- a Reverse/postgame Isekai with an added wrinkle of 'Whoops, time in the other world and on Earth function like how a year for Mercury and Jupiter are totally different!' And Rewriting the Villainess Which is another one of those reverse Isekai that I'm always a fan of.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fellis posted:

I am 3 chapters in and I can already declare Dominic to be my favorite character.

But gently caress this one faceless villager.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Really enjoyed this.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I must amend my previous statement. Dominic is not my favorite character <Dominic the Warrior> is my favorite character.
The entire maneater chapters is actually really well executed. This kind of character could have just been a joke at the expense of less traditionally attractive people, but he instead carries so much on his back. He really wasn't just boasting when he said his skills would be needed and has such intestinal fortitude he doesn't even flinch when the creature is bearing down on him. As well as just eating razor blades and poison with no problem. Are we sure he isn't part monster?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

RatHat posted:

I'm lost. This flashback is inconsistent with the previous one, is this implying Hinako is an unreliable narrator?

EDIT: Nevermind that isn't Junko dying in the new flashback. I need to reread this series

Chapter 9 is out and I'm still confused by this tbh. The last thing we see is the other girl clearly hugging Junko and preparing to jump with her, are we supposed to assume Junko somehow escaped? If so that's a super weird and confusing way to convey it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Link for Chapter 9 of Onee sama and the Giant
One thing I like about this setting is that the world is written to have made a reaction to a constant stream of overpowered otherworlders but now also the other local powerhouses. Even if turning people into cubes is edgy as gently caress, I like it when a setting where this kind of thing is common has an answer to how the locals deal with this kind of thing. Good on Alice for finally realizing what Hinako has been trying to show her this whole time, ironically that slightly assholish brother's advice was just what she needed as well.

Sindai posted:

Chapter 9 is out and I'm still confused by this tbh. The last thing we see is the other girl clearly hugging Junko and preparing to jump with her, are we supposed to assume Junko somehow escaped? If so that's a super weird and confusing way to convey it.

The TL has always been a little rough, originally going from chinese -> Japanese -> English and it might still be honestly. Please note panel 4 on this page where Junko is the girl on the right of the priest, and both of the girls on the station platform are on the left. A couple pages later and the tall girl, Munakata, also mentions that "At least this person still has emotions and hasn't put her hands on her sister". So Shiori wasn't put through the same situation Munakata was.

The broad strokes of what happened would be that this Christian school has been running a side "service" where it supplies students to what might appear to be a social gathering but more than likely was a prostitution ring. Junko becomes the school president and either as a result, or she knew before starts to help this priest rope in girls which included Munakata. I now think that Hinako was spared this because Junko was keeping her for herself. However, Munakata as a result of this violation decides to end her life and Shiori resolves to join her. If Shiori wasn't put in this ring her reason for being here is likely because she feels responsible for what her sister is doing. After this will come the confrontation between Hinako and Junko on the same platform and the murder-suicide.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 25, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Academy's Undercover Professor webcomicbeen getting a few more chapter updates. Getting a bit more interesting again.
No idea how long the werewolf arc was in the LN, but wow, it sure started and ended fast with only like 2 comic chapters.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Brought To You By posted:

Link for Chapter 9 of Onee sama and the Giant
One thing I like about this setting is that the world is written to have made a reaction to a constant stream of overpowered otherworlders but now also the other local powerhouses. Even if turning people into cubes is edgy as gently caress, I like it when a setting where this kind of thing is common has an answer to how the locals deal with this kind of thing. Good on Alice for finally realizing what Hinako has been trying to show her this whole time, ironically that slightly assholish brother's advice was just what she needed as well.

A less edgy one was the manga about that retired soldier dealing with all the reincarnated japanese kids suddenly appearing in his abckwater province. I think the name was Kurt something?

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

A less edgy one was the manga about that retired soldier dealing with all the reincarnated japanese kids suddenly appearing in his abckwater province. I think the name was Kurt something?

The Misfortunes of Local Knight Hans ?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Since people love to do deconstructions on comic and manga stories, has anyone seen one where the premise is 'Isekai world invades Japan because they keep getting their slave accepting amoral powerful psychopaths teleporting into their world'?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yes!

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Since people love to do deconstructions on comic and manga stories, has anyone seen one where the premise is 'Isekai world invades Japan because they keep getting their slave accepting amoral powerful psychopaths teleporting into their world'?

No but I'd read it in a heartbeat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Like GATE only not stupid as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I've been reading one where the entire island chain of Japan gets isekai'd to a fantasy world and their modern military just wrecks everyone's poo poo. Like the Demon Lord is resurrected and they perform a decapitation strike with a missile that literally decapitates him and blows the rest of his body away, despite him using several magical barriers.

The only problem with the series is the author likes to go to the sexual violence well occasionally to make their bad guys seem even worse. But the parts where the coast guard ships just blow the gently caress out of invading sail ships is hilarious. That said, it's still Japan, not jingoist Japan like GATE so they exercise restraint and try not to fire first, it's just that all the militaries of the new world are really belligerent and quite willing to first strike (usually ineffectually).