Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Capital Letdown posted:

Those cases were so bad I'm pretty sure they had an alternate option on the simpsons.com website, where you could request a regular ol' rectangle box case. I used to work at a video store 15 years ago and remember it being a thing lmao

This video breaks it down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHHxue-8e9w

It was an ugly, cheap design that doesn't stand up on its own, the box doesn't actually stay closed or match the others in the series... and then there is some stupid antagonistic website with terrible security to deal with if you just want a simple box. I know a badly designed DVD box isn't the end of the world, but why go so hard in pushing a bad design and then be rude to your customers when they don't like it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Larry Cum Free posted:

It's actually a great opportunity for someone else to change it to Bart World? No, Mercy!

Someone locate this and do it, please.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

beepo posted:

This video breaks it down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHHxue-8e9w

It was an ugly, cheap design that doesn't stand up on its own, the box doesn't actually stay closed or match the others in the series... and then there is some stupid antagonistic website with terrible security to deal with if you just want a simple box. I know a badly designed DVD box isn't the end of the world, but why go so hard in pushing a bad design and then be rude to your customers when they don't like it?

Lol that’s amazing that season 19 was released like a decade after season 20.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bum the Sad posted:

Not a lot of people clamoring for Season 21 on disc, it seems

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Bum the Sad posted:

Season 20 was the most recent season when they started releasing the older sets, so they released it immediately, then DVD sales plummeted after Season 10 or so and they came out a lot slower after.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think that says something about everyone watching zombie Simpsons is literally just putting it on as familiar background noise. Even the writers don't seem to pay much attention to the episodes and treat them as interchangeable.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
im intently watching every moment of a new zombie simpsons
it's usually hard to look away at the horror

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Wait are you held captive somewhere getting clockworked orange'ed with zombie Simpsions?

Blink twice if you're being clockworked orange'ed with zombie Simpsions!!!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
EL BARTO, EL

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Punkin Spunkin posted:

even if you look away, you can still hear it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Outpost22 posted:

Post every time you lol that Simpson's decline started because of competition from Cold Case and Extreme Makeover Home Edition

The Simpsons was already in decline, Cold Case and Extreme Home Makeover were just there to pick up the slack. Anecdotally, I spent a lot of time watching The Simpsons with my parents, and my parents started watching Cold Case instead.

edogawa rando posted:

The Bruckheimer TV shows are basically the TV equivalent of comfort food, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, I get a couple subchannels that show blocks of CSI (although it's mostly the later seasons with Ted Danson and Forrest Whitaker), CSI: Miami, Cold Case, and whatever that other one was about missing persons, on a weekend afternoon when I'm busy doing things like prepping for dinner or vacuuming, it's perfect TV.

Party Boat posted:

The first season DVD set came out in 2001 and for the first few they only released one season per year. In fairness this was in the golden age when good DVD releases came absolutely loaded with extras and they did not skimp on them, there was a load of work put into those early seasons.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think that says something about everyone watching zombie Simpsons is literally just putting it on as familiar background noise. Even the writers don't seem to pay much attention to the episodes and treat them as interchangeable.

Maybe they'll automate the generation of episodes so it can go on forever. Like how the ChatGPT Seinfeld stuff works.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Didn’t they release season 20 on DVD to coincide with the 20th season on TV rather than releasing the sets in chronological order? I seem to recall the DVDs were only on season 13 or so when 20 came out of nowhere.

Shortly thereafter, I saw a fuckload (and I mean a metric fuckload) of season 20 sets on deep discount at Big Lots (where physical media gets written off as a loss and goes to be sold for cheap) :laugh:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

You Are A Elf posted:

Didn’t they release season 20 on DVD to coincide with the 20th season on TV rather than releasing the sets in chronological order? I seem to recall the DVDs were only on season 13 or so when 20 came out of nowhere.

Shortly thereafter, I saw a fuckload (and I mean a metric fuckload) of season 20 sets on deep discount at Big Lots (where physical media gets written off as a loss and goes to be sold for cheap) :laugh:

Yes, I was one of those people that bought each set for full retail when it came out, and season 20 pissed me off to no end not only because the episodes were trash, also because there were 0 extras on the discs, not even commentaries

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Iron Crowned posted:

The Simpsons was already in decline, Cold Case and Extreme Home Makeover were just there to pick up the slack. Anecdotally, I spent a lot of time watching The Simpsons with my parents, and my parents started watching Cold Case instead.

Another argument I've made in the past, in addition to the direct prime-time competition, there were a number of other competitors for 'cartoon coolness'. South Park is obviously a big one.

For the 8-18yo audience that the Simpsons used to be a bit more of a special thing for when it came to animation on television, you had the early 00s anime boom with both extremes in that demographic. Content that was being sold to grade school and middle school kids that was slightly more mature than typical Saturday Morning/After School fare as well as material aimed at the HS/College kid crowd.

In addition, early 2000s was a time when we had a bit of post-South Park boom in animated series that didn't have a primarily K-8 audience in mind. Adult Swim with its anime/Western Animation line-up, TNN, Comedy Central, and G4 trying to get in on it, too.

Success/failure of some of those might have had some effect when it came to Simpsons, either in how much they went from being lunchroom conversation compared to other shows, how they continued to make episodes in the face of something like South Park being the new 'edgy', or who wanted to write for them when creatives saw new opportunities on cable.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

Didn’t they release season 20 on DVD to coincide with the 20th season on TV rather than releasing the sets in chronological order?
It was a big anniversary and there was a corresponding huge cross-media promotional blitz, but season 20 was also the first season to be produced in HD. The home video release came out bare-bones and ahead of schedule so they could sell some Simpsons Blu-rays (besides the movie, which had come out between seasons 18 and 19) while the show was in the spotlight.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

This showed up in my YouTube recommendations, and this dude goes into deep analysis about each canceled AD show he ranks and even has positive things to say about the worst shows. He’s funny and passionate about what he talks about, and It’s well worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-wa5RxbG1s

Add Son of Zorn to the pile of “shows I never knew existed” :pwn:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Disenchantment continues to be fantastic. I'm a big fan of the Steamworld vs Dreamworld drama.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
They've introduced a head in a jar character. I wonder if they're going to make this a part of the Futurama cinematic universe?

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean, after Season 10 or so what the gently caress is left for DVD extras? Some guys going "durr yeah I wrote this thing, yeah" or some poo poo?

In the early seasons there's a lot of great stories about working with Conan and what Hitchcock film they're referencing.

By season 10 it's a lot of "we were experimenting" comments and more silence

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I've come to accept that i never really liked simpsons, i liked schwartzwelder and conan and a few of their friends

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

You Are A Elf posted:

This showed up in my YouTube recommendations, and this dude goes into deep analysis about each canceled AD show he ranks and even has positive things to say about the worst shows. He’s funny and passionate about what he talks about, and It’s well worth a watch.

ToonrificTariq is a pro-watch. This dude really loves animation and it shows

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Anyone watching the DailySimpsons live Twitch streams (Thursday's at 8PM eastern) that play classic Simpsons episodes as they originally aired with the commercials? Pretty much the only appointment viewing I do these days.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

You Are A Elf posted:

Shut up sit down was dire. I remember being excited because it involved so many people from Arrested Development but it was unwatchable.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Shut up sit down was dire. I remember being excited because it involved so many people from Arrested Development but it was unwatchable.

I was based off a twice (I think) cancelled Australian sitcom from like the 90s.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Animal Friend posted:

I was based off a twice (I think) cancelled Australian sitcom from like the 90s.

We’re you now?

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

We’re you now?

Yes. We are Animal Friend.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I can't type for poo poo on this new android pos

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/ooc20thfox/status/1627729526347247616
https://twitter.com/aljean/status/1627476991170707456

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

man, even ned's voice is showing his age

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

harry shearer will be 80 this year

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

spaceblancmange posted:

When he dies the show will deepfake him for 80 more years

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The ai generated seinfeld channel on twitch is where the simpsons will be in ten years

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

spaceblancmange posted:

:smith:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

zetamind2000 posted:

The ai generated seinfeld channel on twitch is where the simpsons will be in ten years

https://twitch.tv/unlimitedsteam

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

"It's just a slight heatwave"

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://clips.twitch.tv/GoodColorfulWitchWutFace-hSDeL8K1tt98q41I

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Meh, not great. Still more life than the usual poo poo. We can dig down more, stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was just at Universal and the Simpsons 3D ride is loving hilarious, it's from right at the height of their powers