Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Coca Koala posted:

At one point my sister ordered a gin and tonic in some dive bar and got, no lie, a glass of sprite with gin in it. She asked, and the bartender honestly thought that was how it was done.

Ordering a highball will result in some kind of booze and some kind of soda in a glass or varying size depending on the bartender and location.

It's the best drink to order for this reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

When I was in Austria last summer I ordered a shot+chaser at a few different locations and at each one they gave me the shot and an empty lowball glass + sealed bottle of Pepsi to pour it myself

Took a bit to get used to lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
AITA for "kicking" my girlfriend out of a house that isn't mine?

quote:

New to Reddit. English isn't my first language, so sorry if there's any spelling/grammar mistakes.

A little bit of info; I'm 19F, and have been addicted to smoking since I was around 16. I recently stopped because my Brother (29M) and his fiancee, my sister in law (27F) offered me to baby sit my niece (2F) if I stayed clean from nicotine. I thought it was a great deal because I was activily trying to stop smoking, and was looking for a job. I have been baby sitting my niece for 4 months, and been smoke free for 6 months, as of yesterday.

On the the problem. My girlfriend (20F) is allowed over while I baby sit, because my brother knows her well. She still smokes, so the only rule is that she can't smoke in/near the house or in the garden. She's welcome to not come over the days I baby sit if this is too much, and she knows it.

However, when I put my niece outside in her stroller to sleep and came back to check on her I saw my girlfriend standing with a lit cigarette. I told her to throw it out or go home, and she said "No way I'm throwing it out, that would be a wast of money" I told her she knew the rules, and broke my brothers trust. She kept on trying to argue with me, but I told her that it's my brothers house so it's his rules,if she didn't leave I would call my brother. She called me an AH and left. I texted my brother what happened.

A few hours after she left she sendt me a text saying I was out of line to kick her out of a house I don't even own, and she couldn't belive I would "snitch" on her. She hasn't talked to me since then, and I feel bad about what I did. So, AITA?
Good news! It turns into a Reddit Success Story.

quote:

Edit: I hear you. She's trying to make me lose my job and/or trying to make me start smoking again. It's sad that this is going to be the end of a 2 year long relationship, but that's life.
Man, people who go out of their way to gently caress up your sobriety or diet or any effort to better yourself are the absolute worst.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Hughlander posted:

My son wants to be a Landlord and is insulting me because I am a tenant.

I’m sorry about your son dude, at least the acid cat is quick.

Kid's got bad vibes.

FMguru posted:

AITA for "kicking" my girlfriend out of a house that isn't mine?

Good news! It turns into a Reddit Success Story.

Man, people who go out of their way to gently caress up your sobriety or diet or any effort to better yourself are the absolute worst.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Good on her for getting rid of the gf. Nobody deserves their sobriety or their job hosed up by someone else.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So, a cast iron pan.

A cheap well cared for non-stick is much easier to work with and care for than a cast iron, you know this

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

kru posted:

A cheap well cared for non-stick is much easier to work with and care for than a cast iron, you know this

Or a good stainless-steel pan. I replaced my 6" non-stick with one when the coating finally got too thin to use anymore. Cleanup is dead simple, soak it for 15 minutes with hot soapy water and you can wipe it clean with a sponge.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

kru posted:

What about plain old stainless steel, though? Some light soaking and scrubbing is all it really takes to get it clean and you don't have to be careful with it like non-stick or have an extensive skincare routine like cast iron.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I don't really understand what his girlfriend's issue with using cast iron is, it seems like this is a win/win for the both of them?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Maybe she really loves the taste of Teflon and this has ruined that for her

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Hughlander posted:

My son wants to be a Landlord and is insulting me because I am a tenant.

This sounds similar to the time "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" was warping young people's minds with utter bullshit. Right down
to insulting your parents for not being rich already.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Mx. posted:

AITA for not cancelling my plans after my boyfriend learned about his diagnosis?

Amazing use of spoiler tags. Took it from YTA to NTA in five seconds.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm more impressed given the result of a corgi cross is usually a hilarious dwarf version of the other breed. Just a heeler with tiny legs.

But having lived out in the country, actual working dogs get shot pretty much immediately when they start killing livestock.

Yeah. A working dog that goes for chickens might manage to just get rehomed if it doesn't have other behavioural issues, even if it's successfully killed a chicken before, but it's not getting deliberately sent somewhere it can get at small animals. One that's started worrying cows or sheep? It's dead, there's no interest in rehabbing it. Getting a new dog is cheaper than paying for livestock that have been mauled.

And the rehoming for chicken-worriers is only if the dog is especially beloved. Otherwise? Nah. A dog that kills livestock is a dog that's too dangerous to keep.

snergle posted:

bro your dog is two hyper active smart breeds mixed together and its proven it can climb an 8ft fence. you need to exercise it like 30x as much or you gotta chain it to the ground.

Chaining it to the ground won't help unless the dude sinks the chain into a concrete block. And even then, I would still lay odds on the very smart herding breed mix finding a way to escape.

trickybiscuits posted:

Girlfriend needs to be dumped yesterday but I don't like the idea of food made for sale in some guy's kitchen.

Most bakeries start out in some guy's kitchen. If his sister is struggling to keep up with demand, she's probably just at the stage where she's preparing to expand into a commercial kitchen or she's renting space from a commercial kitchen. Otherwise, she wouldn't be having him pitch in using his home kitchen, he'd be making stuff at her business. But he can't, because she doesn't have a dedicated commercial kitchen he can go to.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for “stealing” my child’s birthday money

...this dude legit thinks that a cereal box is going to keep going up in value? And he's kidding himself that he'll sell it when the time comes for Junior to start looking at colleges, there'll be "oh, but I can't possibly break up my collection" excuses.

MrQwerty posted:

why even bother when Streets of Rage IV and Shredder's Revenge already exist

whatta dummy

she should probably get out before her entire life is ruined, too

Yeah, the best option for her is to get rid of her share of the company and :sever: from both company and boyfriend. Someone who has spent actual money on an anime body pillow for their office is so deep in the well, they're just going to keep digging until they physically can't.

big dyke energy posted:

I don't really understand what his girlfriend's issue with using cast iron is, it seems like this is a win/win for the both of them?

Cast iron is heavy, and the maintenance can be intimidating to someone who's never dealt with it. Plus, it has an antique feel to it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tinytort posted:

Yeah, the best option for her is to get rid of her share of the company and :sever: from both company and boyfriend. Someone who has spent actual money on an anime body pillow for their office is so deep in the well, they're just going to keep digging until they physically can't.

I like that part where he has 10 other people working on the game for free. Guaranteed drama bomb in the unlikely event the game ever makes a cent.

Their relationship is already over, they just don't know it yet.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Everyone with strong cast iron v teflon pan opinions please come post them in the F1 thread

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

keep punching joe posted:

:dogstare:

Why?

gently caress me, shudder at what she thinks a Greek salad should be.

A Greek salad has lettuce, tomatoes, Kalamata olives, feta, cucumbers, pepperoncini peppers, and potato salad. Sometimes beets and bell peppers too. But the potato salad is nonnegotiable.

Greek salads from Tarpon Springs, FL are the best Greek salads. :colbert:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

tinytort posted:

Amazing use of spoiler tags. Took it from YTA to NTA in five seconds.

Lmao, I completely missed that one. Dude probably breaks down in tears if she won't put a SpongeBob band-aid on him when he gets an owie.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The spine readings on this OP are negative doctor!

Woman won't leave after one date, now I'm struggling to get her out of my apartment

quote:

I (25m) recently went on one date with a woman (29f) and invited her over to watch a movie at my apartment. Since then, she hasn't left and things have been moving way too fast. She's been saying "I love you" and acting really clingy, and I'm starting to feel suffocated.

To make matters worse, she has a child who's staying with us too. I didn't agree to let them stay, but they're just not leaving and the woman is too clingy for me to find an excuse.

On top of that, she's been doing housewife behaviors such as cleaning my entire apartment and cooking food, which I appreciate, but also terrifies me. Her son also clogged my toilet by throwing an entire roll of paper towels in and then pooping over it again, causing me to involve maintenance and now I'm not able to use my own bathroom.

I don't know how to tell her that it's time for her and her child to leave. I feel like I've made a mistake by letting them stay in the first place, but I don't want to come across as heartless or uncaring. I'm also concerned about the legal ramifications of having them stay with me - I don't want to end up in a situation where I'm legally obligated to let them stay.

Any advice on how to handle this situation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

TL;DR: After one date, a woman and her child have overstayed their welcome at my apartment. She's acting clingy, saying "I love you," and doing housewife behaviors such as cleaning and cooking. Her son also clogged my toilet. I don't know how to tell her to leave and am worried about legal implications. Need advice on how to handle the situation.

Edit to add: this entire situation began on Friday night.

And yes, he says in an update that she brought the kid with her.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Runcible Cat posted:

Woman won't leave after one date, now I'm struggling to get her out of my apartment

loving lol

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

looks like he's been leaving the apartment and coming back?

she could just deadbolt him out lol

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

tinytort posted:

...this dude legit thinks that a cereal box is going to keep going up in value? And he's kidding himself that he'll sell it when the time comes for Junior to start looking at colleges, there'll be "oh, but I can't possibly break up my collection" excuses.

I have a hunch the value will crater as soon as everyone old enough to remember eating those for breakfast is dead.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I like that part where he has 10 other people working on the game for free. Guaranteed drama bomb in the unlikely event the game ever makes a cent.

Their relationship is already over, they just don't know it yet.

Assuming a "rage game" is something like I Want to Be the Guy, has one of those ever been a commercial success? I thought they were pretty much entirely freeware. I guess in the NES era that was just like 90% of platformers, tbf.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Runcible Cat posted:

Lol, that's a pro move on her part. Hopefully spines take less than 30 days to grow for OP's sake.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

looks like he's been leaving the apartment and coming back?

she could just deadbolt him out lol

Yeah there's no way he has a key to his own deadbolt.

AITA for not telling a friend of mine what my girlfriend does for fun and letting him make an rear end of himself at a party?

quote:

If I were a shallow person I would say I hit the jackpot. I 100% hit the jackpot but not for the reason you might think.

I met a young woman, Claire, through my sister last year. They went to college together and they are good friends. I thought that she was incredibly beautiful when I saw her but I was trying my best not to be the creepy older brother hitting on his little sister's friends. We talked a little bit and I asked her about her work since graduating. She gave me a weird look but told me about working in the medical field. I thought it was very interesting work from the sounds of it. After they left my dad made fun of me for not asking her out.

My sister called me last January out of the blue and said I was probably good to contact her friend and ask her out. She said she even put in a good word for me. And that I was going to need it.

So I started talking to Claire and we went out for lunch. She is very beautiful like I said. She is also very smart and driven. She has a future all planned out. I jokingly said I was interested in being part of that future. She said my sister had already half convinced her I was a good idea.

We had a few more dates and then we made it official. It's been over a year since our first date and my family loves her and my friends all think I fluked into the greatest relationship ever.

Anyways the party. Whenever I talk about Claire I mention her work. She studied child psychology and is working on her Master's. See, smart. I love bragging all about how she is making the world a better place.

At the party my friend started joking around about her being able to make more money as a model or something. I told my friend he was being an rear end talking about her looks and he should drop it. He did not.

He even started making beauty and the beast comments. He was rude but never vulgar. Just rude.

He wouldn't. Drop it. He may have been a little jealous and drunk. She finally went on her phone and showed him some pictures of herself in the uniform from the job she does for fun. She is a cheerleader for a sports team. She then told him how little the job pays. She spent time explaining to him that she competed in cheer in college and it was a hard sport and that she only auditioned for the professional squad because they do a lot of work with children's charities. She said that she was tired of people like him thinking all she had to offer was her looks. He got embarrassed and left.

He called me up later and said I was an rear end in a top hat for not telling him I'm dating a cheerleader. I said I'm not. I'm dating Claire, a woman who is in her way to being a child psychologist. He said that I should have told him so he wouldn't have been such an sss about her looks.

I don't think it's my place to tell people. She doesn't tell everyone.

So he's pissed at me for not telling him. He's upset with her for telling him so publicly. I think he was behaving like an rear end and should have dropped it when I said so.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Yeah there's no way he has a key to his own deadbolt.

don't know about where you live, but every apartment I've been in has had two deadbolts, one with no keyhole on the outside

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

don't know about where you live, but every apartment I've been in has had two deadbolts, one with no keyhole on the outside

Both apartments I've lived in have had only one lock, deadbolt style, with an exterior keyhole.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

That's wild to me. Maybe you'd have a latch or something but just one deadbolt is the norm here.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

A Greek salad has lettuce, tomatoes, Kalamata olives, feta, cucumbers, pepperoncini peppers, and potato salad. Sometimes beets and bell peppers too. But the potato salad is nonnegotiable.

Greek salads from Tarpon Springs, FL are the best Greek salads. :colbert:

Beets, potatoes, lettuce leaves? Where's the mint? Where's the real tomato flavour.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

hawowanlawow posted:

I've never seen anything like that (Swedish).

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Lady could just have noodle arms and be complaining about how heavy cast iron is, because cast iron is pretty heavy compared to other pans.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ChaseSP posted:

Lady could just have noodle arms and be complaining about how heavy cast iron is, because cast iron is pretty heavy compared to other pans.

That lady should get swole.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

she thinks they're old fashioned and for people in the country

quote:

She is mad at me for making her use cast iron like little house on the prairie.

it's kind of weird because that's a basic-assed opinion, but the hotness among basic girls right now is making your house look like little house on the prairie :shrug:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yeah, every time I put my Lodge combo oven into the oven I know pain. The bread's good, though.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

ChaseSP posted:

i need both hands to lift mine :/

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Runcible Cat posted:

I need to know what 'legal implications' this doormat thinks could happen.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

If someone lives openly and notoriously on your property for 10 years they get squatter's rights.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Assuming a "rage game" is something like I Want to Be the Guy, has one of those ever been a commercial success? I thought they were pretty much entirely freeware. I guess in the NES era that was just like 90% of platformers, tbf.
Do Celeste and Cuphead count? They're both extremely difficult 2D side scrollers and you'll die hundreds if not thousands of times the first time through...but also sold quite well.

Of course, both those games have very careful balancing and tight enough controls that your deaths feel fair rather than rage-inducing/game is being cheap/etc. Along with a very clear and well done artistic vision, narrative, and planning to keep the player engaged even as you're struggling...as opposed to this guy's "I grabbed 10 random people and each of us made a level"!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I think if she stays long enough she might have some rights to the apartment, depending on the local laws. Or, if she pays some money, gets a key, or otherwise establishes tenancy claims, she might be able to argue that she is a tenant, in which case he could be in trouble with his landlord.

But realistically, no, there won't be legal implications beyond him maybe getting the person in trouble for trespassing.

E; also can't tell if doormat there owns the apartment or is renting, which could also change things.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
AITA for asking my friend to pick my girlfriend up from the airport?

quote:

For background, I live in a different state than my girlfriend and my family. The only person I know here is a friend of mine who I have known for about a year. My girlfriend is wanting to fly here to move in with me. Unfortunately, I live about an hour away from the nearest airport, and I don't have a car since mine recently broke down. The only person I know with a car is this friend.

Now, I feel like my friend doesn't like my girlfriend even though they have never met. I feel like he's jealous or something and doesn't want her taking up my time, and what just happened just proves that in my opinion. I asked him if he could give me a ride over to the airport, where we would pick up my girlfriend. He initially said no, it was too far, but then said he would do it if I gave him gas money. Now, we (my girlfriend and I, not my friend and I) are both on a pretty tight budget and he knows that. I told him that this was a favor, and that is just what friends do for each other. I told him I would do it for him if he was in a similar situation.

He insisted on telling me no, and suggested I hire an Uber. I told him that that would probably be even more expensive than the gas money he was asking me for. I then told him that if he won't do this for me, I don't think we can be friends anymore. This apparently pissed him off, because he called me "manipulative" and told me to leave him alone. Now he is not answering his phone or texts, and I don't know what I'm going to do. My girlfriend agrees with me that he's being an rear end in a top hat, but to my surprise, when I talked to one of my other friends from my home state about it, he said that I actually was in the wrong here. Apparently asking friends for favors is rear end in a top hat behavior now?

Anyway, my friend here still hasn't talked to me in a few days and I don't know what I'll do if my girlfriend does decide to come. I looked into hiring an Uber for that distance but, like I said it is too expensive for me (way more expensive than gas money for my friend) and I'm on a really tight budget. I don't get it. AITA?
Hey, drop what you're doing and go spend 2-3 hours driving across state to pick up my girlfriend (who you have never met) and no I won't even pay you gas money. No? Well, you're obviously suuuuper jealous and I don't think we can be friends any more.

Gosh, his buddy is going to really regret letting a "friend" like that slip away from him.

e: OP in comments:

quote:

What I meant was that my girlfriend and I are both on a tight budget. I know my friend could afford this if he wanted.

Wow that's dramatic. I never coerced him. I still don't think I'm the rear end in a top hat because nobody has been able to say anything without being dramatic. Plus you aren't supposed to downvote people who you disagree with in this sub.

I should have added more about this I guess, if you knew him you would know it's not about the money it's because he's jealous

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Runcible Cat posted:

No mention of her bringing stuff from her place, so I'm wondering if she has a place.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for calling out my sister for not making her wedding accessibility friendly for FAMILY

quote:

For context, I (34F) am a single mom to my daughter Mia (8F). Mia has been disabled since the day she was born and needs wheelchair assistance and constant care whenever she is awake. I absolutely love her to death and it’s only been us during this entire journey, so I’m definitely super protective of my little girl.

I also have a sister Cassidy (28F) who just called me about the logistics/plan for her wedding in six months to her fiancé Max (27M). She said the wedding was going to be at a beach near our city, and it will completely be held in the sand: basically a 35 person ceremony right by the water followed by a bonfire and barbecue also in the sand. She said she just wanted to let me know before she sent the official invite because of Mia.

I truly have never been more shocked and disappointed in my sister. You would think she would at least check in with me before she reserved the beach space because Mia obviously can’t come. And now she’s only telling me because it’s set in stone and there’s nothing she can change. I tried explaining how hurtful this is to Mia because Mia loves her auntie, but she’ll be absolutely heartbroken not being able to attend the wedding. It’s already so difficult raising a child with disabilities without a partner, but when even family is this inconsiderate and cruel, it’s truly the worst feeling.

Cassidy immediately started deflecting saying her and Max checked to make sure the beach had a sand friendly wheelchair for me to rent ($110/day) … the audacity to ask your guests to be paying just to make it to the event (especially when she knows I cannot afford this). Then she said how she will not change the location because her and Max met on this very beach and it has been their dream ever since to get married here after they also got engaged here.

When I suggested she pay for the rental, she kept saying how her and Max already had to cut so much out of their budget and plans because they also can’t afford much. Like you’re already paying for a whole wedding, but can’t afford a rental for your FAMILY to come? I was talking to some moms of children with disabilities and they all agree that it sounds like Cassidy doesn’t even want Mia there and is using all of this as an excuse. I’m thinking about just telling her that we won’t be attending her wedding and supporting a person who’s inconsiderate to her own family.

So AITA?

b-but FAMILY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

FMguru posted:

AITA for asking my friend to pick my girlfriend up from the airport?

Hey, drop what you're doing and go spend 2-3 hours driving across state to pick up my girlfriend (who you have never met) and no I won't even pay you gas money. No? Well, you're obviously suuuuper jealous and I don't think we can be friends any more.

Gosh, his buddy is going to really regret letting a "friend" like that slip away from him.

quote:

I then told him that if he won't do this for me, I don't think we can be friends anymore.

quote:

Now he is not answering his phone or texts, and I don't know what I'm going to do.

lol