Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

How do you hit buttons on the controller this fast?

toss out the controller and play the game with dk bongos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

The black screen glitch just got me. It's real ya'll. Make sure your game saves properly after deleting summon stones.

I'm not gonna delete my save file in case SE patches it in the next couple of days or so but it's a total bummer.

1-600-DOCTORB
Nov 29, 2004

Side effects may include gopherism, multi-brow, and tracheal meerkat colonies
Pillbug
A friend of mine just came across an interesting (though less harmful) glitch. If you play Vana'diel March (FFXI) on Basic, about halfway through when the prelude kicks in, the analog stick seems to stop responding. She's on Switch and I'm on PS5, and it happened for me as well. She thought it might have been a bad Joy-Con so I tried it out to be sure. Pretty odd.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Boy I wish the rhythm games were more chill

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

Boy I wish the rhythm games were more chill

There are plenty of chill games out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx7qSDEJ7BA

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

There's nothing stopping you from doing everything on Basic difficulty and/or Simple Mode, except for quests that require Ultimate clears, but even then if all you care about is vibing through the music then just ignore the quests and press on

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Just about through all the games for the first time. I have so many 99’s now that I can finally make some nice parties.

At the moment, I have a few questions:

If I have 3 hunters in a party with the drops up (discerning eye?) does it stack?

Is there a maximum stack of 100% for things if taking into account summons and abilities?

Do higher difficulties mean better drops (e.g. rarer cards, better summons, gold eggs)?

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I haven't noticed any difference in rarity of loot due to difficulty but if you can play the song well, more enemies seem to die on higher difficulty. I still sometimes drop down to expert when farming because it is more mindless and I get more criticals than in ultimate.

Not sure about items but there are skills like rare collector and rare summoner to increase the rarity of cards and stones respectively. Try using Rikku or Yuffis.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I realized I never played 8 really so I started and then my eyes glazed over as they started to explain the GF system. I think I'm getting too lazy for Final Fantasy in my age.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
No the GF tutorial is just notoriously bad

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Zurtilik posted:

I realized I never played 8 really so I started and then my eyes glazed over as they started to explain the GF system. I think I'm getting too lazy for Final Fantasy in my age.

This happened to probably the majority of people (including me) who played it as kids. The short version is that you equip GFs on your dudes like gear and they give your dudes abilities when they're equipped, including the ability to equip magic on your dudes like gear to buff your stats.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Replace the word "junction" with "equip" and that's, like, 60% of your problems solved right there. You can equip summons! They all have different abilities! Spells are consumable, and a GF will let you equip them to your stats. There.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

GF gives us strength... the stronger the GF, the stronger we become.

Seems simple to me op

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

What do the quests even do?

I'm basically treating it like any other rhythm game, but I get to bring my favorite final fantasy characters along for the ride. Haven't really worried about doing any of the quests

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Weird Pumpkin posted:

What do the quests even do?

I'm basically treating it like any other rhythm game, but I get to bring my favorite final fantasy characters along for the ride. Haven't really worried about doing any of the quests

Each quest has a reward and there are rewards for completing all quests in a series (on switch press X at series selection to see)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
theatrhythm's excellent but the way it's randomly sending people's save data to the void is making me more nervous the more i play it

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I'm glad I checked my profile because apparently theatrhythm doesn't auto upload to cloud like all my other games. So at least I've got a save with every song done once in there now

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Kyoujin posted:

Each quest has a reward and there are rewards for completing all quests in a series (on switch press X at series selection to see)

Ah ok, but does it unlock extra songs or anything? or is it just items for the characters

I mostly just enjoy playing it as a regular rhythm game :shobon:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Nope, just outfits for moogles, cards and items. Don't stress yourself over them.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Oxxidation posted:

theatrhythm's excellent but the way it's randomly sending people's save data to the void is making me more nervous the more i play it

Yeah I'm not super pleased about it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there’s also the separate save corruption bug that renders the entire Music Stage mode inaccessible. nobody’s figured that one out yet

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Woah I sure hope that doesn't happen to me!

I tried Endless World today and the quests ramp up pretty quickly. Kill 15 enemies? Stay at 95% HP the whole time? I could've probably handled it if I went down to Expert but I was doing my best to stay on Ultimate. It's also nice that DX and DLC songs can show up in there. It's incentivizing a bit. Pretty fun, to be quite honest...

There's still some normal quests I can't clear. Beating Chaos in the final song of FF1 for instance. So many enemies on the way to him and you get barely any time to do anything.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Poison + Summons are usually my wave clearers to get Terra to the boss so she can nuke them. Multiple bosses, I've always had to tinker with my teams just because every stage that has multiple bosses is different enough I need to make adjustments just so the right party members will drop their strong attacks at the right time, since you can only nuke the first boss. Depending on the song, you might be able to time Meteor or Meteor Blade for the second boss but that requires experimenting. Course, could also just max out a character with stat pots to trivialize it too.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I should level the summon types more then. There's missions revolving around them anyways, so best to have all those resources ready.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
You can get by pretty far with just Yuna, as long as you got other casters in the party, since it's the magic stat that affects summon dmg and rate. 4 Summoners or Tidus + 3 Summoners is always a silly fun time though. Yuna's just really nice because her Unique just instant summons on the first turn so nice for getting that first wave outta the way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
SSS on Force Your Way Ultimate, second try, gently caress yes

would've perfect-chained it too if i hadn't choked in the last twenty seconds

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Final Fantasy VIII, the game where the theme is love, is all about Squall getting a GF.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ManSedan posted:

Final Fantasy VIII, the game where the theme is love, is all about Squall getting a GF.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Relationship with Quetzalcoatl ended. Ifrit is my GF now.

My only experience with FFVIII before yesterday was that demo. I don't think the demo was actually from Pizza Hut but my brain associates the demo with Pizza Hut and so it's all a very greasy memory of me using Shiva a lot.

Edit: oh it was a pizza hut disk.

At the time, the fast food chain Pizza Hut also had a deal where they gave out PlayStation demo discs with their pizzas, and Final Fantasy VIII was in this offer as well. The North American release of the PlayStation demo was rated M (Mature). The full game is rated T (Teen). This makes the Final Fantasy VIII Demo the first Final Fantasy release to receive the M rating.

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 21, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Zurtilik posted:

Relationship with Quetzalcoatl ended. Ifrit is my GF now.

My only experience with FFVIII before yesterday was that demo. I don't think the demo was actually from Pizza Hut but my brain associates the demo with Pizza Hut and so it's all a very greasy memory of me using Shiva a lot.

Edit: oh it was a pizza hut disk.

At the time, the fast food chain Pizza Hut also had a deal where they gave out PlayStation demo discs with their pizzas, and Final Fantasy VIII was in this offer as well. The North American release of the PlayStation demo was rated M (Mature). The full game is rated T (Teen). This makes the Final Fantasy VIII Demo the first Final Fantasy release to receive the M rating.

If I had to guess, this was probably a form of "default" rating - I can see Square-Electronic Arts not giving a damp poo poo what rating a demo got.

Another thing I just remembered about that demo is that they actually rerendered the FMVs after the demo, in the demo Squall isn't wearing his SeeD uniform and they changed who's manning the machine gun in the finale.

Anyhow, once my tax refund finally arrives this week I am going to fucken overdose on Final Fantasy, I'm going to pick up FFXIV (yes, I'm hooked), Theatrhythm, and pre-order FFXVI.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I had no idea Bump of Chicken wrote a song for Type 0, actually missed a few notes from my surprise when it clicked

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

That song is so hard to find for casual listening, lol. Or at least it was back in the Curtain Call days.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
You can find it on iTunes at least. It's from the album "Ray". I played Curtain Call way before Type 0 and I fell in love with Zero.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
made it 3/4ths of the way through this garbage

also, I quite hilariously discovered a bug where it gave me an all critical crown for the song. I was confused when an achievement window popped up after I messed up the beginning part and failed on one attempt.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I gave up on my "perfect chain all basics" because of that one. Over 50 tries and then when I finally made it to the last third with a bunch of rapid presses I just stopped.

Easily the hardest song on basic, I got the next few songs with no retries.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

FireWorksWell posted:

I gave up on my "perfect chain all basics" because of that one. Over 50 tries and then when I finally made it to the last third with a bunch of rapid presses I just stopped.

Easily the hardest song on basic, I got the next few songs with no retries.

This was as far as I got in hitting 100 tries. Got an achievement for that and promptly powered down my Switch. I'll try again tomorrow. I guess I could put more healers in my party, i've been mostly ignoring that aspect of the game.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah, I neglected my healers but I'd likely think differently if I started on a higher difficulty

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Good healers and defense characters really let you punch above your weight in terms of song difficulty. The trade off of course being damage output, which does begin to matter when you have quests to kill things.

I've personally been using Vanille & Y'shtola the most for healers. Vanille has multiple ways to bring you back from the brink with Oerba's Boon & Full Cure both healing you back to 100% from 10%. Y'shtola just gives a metric boatload of passive regen.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I've probably played about 60% of the game without a healer because it seems every title I unlock doesn't have one (or its a character I don't care for).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
You also get eventually get enough potions, hi-potions, and phoenix downs that healers aren't too needed, unless it's just a really dense chart out to get you.