Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica

anime was right posted:

this is one of the funniest things ive ever seen

The Oldest Man posted:

tfw you try "remodeled kitchen range with oven and vent hood, custom shelving, rustic, cottage style, authentic" in stable diffusion for the first time

i'd leave it to the professionals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I will buy 1/2 of a home (2 walls and floor) now and buy the second half later (2 more walls and roof)

people used to do that. buy a lot, put in a basement, live in it, build the house on top a couple years later.

but people also would just pipe their poo poo into streams too while waiting to save up the money to put a septic in.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

people used to do that. buy a lot, put in a basement, live in it, build the house on top a couple years later.

but people also would just pipe their poo poo into streams too while waiting to save up the money to put a septic in.

This is the main artery through the area I live in, the houses were built before services were. When they went to put sewers in they had to stick houses on rollers to move them out of the way, build the sewer, and roll the houses back.
Can't find any roller pictures though sadly.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Bar Ran Dun posted:

there was a house in a town near where I grew up where someone had that goal but never got around to the house part. I think it is still to this day basically just a single story house that is sunk all to just like a foot above ground with a flat roof.

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The first time I was house shopping, in 2017, there was a house on a half acre somewhere in east Denver that was just a basement with a roof and a couple of detached sheds.

I think it was listed as built in like 1920

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
today I was browsing the intranet dank memes page and found a comment from a woman who said she only goes to work in person because in order to power her laptop and two monitors she has to wire up three extension cords from different rooms or she trips a breaker.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's like two incandescent bulbs' worth of wattage

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Speleothing posted:

The first time I was house shopping, in 2017, there was a house on a half acre somewhere in east Denver that was just a basement with a roof and a couple of detached sheds.

I think it was listed as built in like 1920

I think I saw that listing, because it sold again last year.

E: Don't forget Park County hole man:

https://www.cpr.org/2021/10/22/park-county-colorado-housing/

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I remember it being close to some big power transmission lines, so I wonder if there's a restriction on building size.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Speleothing posted:

I remember it being close to some big power transmission lines, so I wonder if there's a restriction on building size.

I doubt it, if there are other houses within a stones' throw.

Sometimes houses burn down, and sometimes people put roofs over the basements that remain. It's not the worst idea.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I think I saw that listing, because it sold again last year.

E: Don't forget Park County hole man:

https://www.cpr.org/2021/10/22/park-county-colorado-housing/

quote:

Correction: An earlier version of this story identified a structure in a photo as abandoned. It is not abandoned.

lol

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

i say swears online posted:

i wonder how much a room from Cube would go for

Cube 2: Hypercube was a well meaning effort to create affordable urban housing

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

she has been flipped and is now worth $450k

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

there’s a basement house like that in Arvada

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

today I was browsing the intranet dank memes page and found a comment from a woman who said she only goes to work in person because in order to power her laptop and two monitors she has to wire up three extension cords from different rooms or she trips a breaker.

A place I rented a while back was wired in the weirdest way where each exterior wall was a different circuit rather than the living room/kitchen/bedrooms/bathrooms being their own. So in the summer running the dishwasher would trip the circuit because it was drawing from the same wall that had both bedrooms main outlets and the living room main outlet. Ended up running an extension cord from the bathroom into the bedroom to try to balance it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We Left the City For a 900-Square-Foot Cabin In a Ski Town. It Was Worth It.
When a tiny cabin built in the 1900s became available for rent in Steamboat, we took it—no questions asked.

https://www.skimag.com/culture/moving-to-ski-town-steamboat-colorado/

That's the size of my house lol

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's bigger than my apartment and most of the article is complaining about poo poo she owns.

I can fit everything I own in 4 loads of my Outback. Owns.

"I moved to an expensive ski town and miss my possessions" isn't really a good topic.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That's bigger than my apartment and most of the article is complaining about poo poo she owns.

I can fit everything I own in 4 loads of my Outback. Owns.

"I moved to an expensive ski town and miss my possessions" isn't really a good topic.

It’s pretty funny. Almost as funny as “I moved to rural Montana and now I can’t get same day delivery through prime”

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I recently waited 8 days for an amazon package so I feel Montana's pain.

It was a joint roller I can't find locally, but I had a lovely one to get me by, so it wasn't a big deal.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

who's got two thumbs & knows how to use them as joint-rollers

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My hands shake too much to hold the paper steady without spilling weed everywhere.

Love that your generation sent mine to Iraq, where I developed the nerve damage that makes it impossible to roll free hand.

E: on the plus side, sweet sweet VA loan eligibility.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Feb 18, 2023

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica
saw a brand new bright blue tarp on the roof of a shed on my way to the coffee shop today

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

sorry about your shake; I know what that's like from drinking coffee + getting old.

p.s.: "my generation" didn't have a choice in fighting wars, other than to be born into a politically connected or very wealthy family, have a vagina, or live as a fugitive.

(of all the boomer dunks, "your generation made me volunteer to fight a stupid war" has got to be the most pathetic as well as pretty ahistorical)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

who knows, there could have been a draft in 2003

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There was a "jail or army" style thing going on back then in a few places if you found yourself in front of a judge, but that was more for the surge, so probably '05/06. I enlisted post-9/11 but pre-Iraq. I expected to go to one place but wound up in another. That's the army for you.

Willa Rogers posted:

sorry about your shake; I know what that's like from drinking coffee + getting old.

p.s.: "my generation" didn't have a choice in fighting wars, other than to be born into a politically connected or very wealthy family, have a vagina, or live as a fugitive.

(of all the boomer dunks, "your generation made me volunteer to fight a stupid war" has got to be the most pathetic as well as pretty ahistorical)

Either way, thanks for paying your taxes so I can have universal health care.

Don't buy Raw rollers, btw, buy OCB.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Feb 18, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We Left the City For a 900-Square-Foot Cabin In a Ski Town. It Was Worth It.
When a tiny cabin built in the 1900s became available for rent in Steamboat, we took it—no questions asked.

https://www.skimag.com/culture/moving-to-ski-town-steamboat-colorado/

That's the size of my house lol

When our house burned down, our insurance adjuster spent almost two weeks profusely apologizing that the (really nice) 1300 sq. ft. apartment they were putting us in temporarily was the "largest they could find on short notice." Absurd. She seemed legitimately shocked that we were insisting that no, actually, that was plenty big for two of us no matter how long construction might take.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

When our house burned down, our insurance adjuster spent almost two weeks profusely apologizing that the (really nice) 1300 sq. ft. apartment they were putting us in temporarily was the "largest they could find on short notice." Absurd. She seemed legitimately shocked that we were insisting that no, actually, that was plenty big for two of us no matter how long construction might take.

where did you put your ball pit and Bowflex?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I would take a life to get a 900 sf cabin

the life of a h.e.n.r.y.

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica
ITT it's 2050 and we are living on the public sidewalk in front of our house

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

SideEffectShit posted:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Ammanas posted:

she has been flipped and is now worth $450k

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

when your house burns down and insurance builds you a replacement do they, like, build a 1:1 copy of the house following the style of the neighborhood or do they throw up whatever vinyl siding and fake composite flooring the contractors are puking out these days, and do they build a new house with the same square footage, or as big (or small) of a house as they can build for the dollar value of the policy?

Would suck to live in one of those gorgeous craftsmen style homes with hand carved adornments and stained glass accents in the windows, have it burn down, and get some disgusting mcmansion "garage in front with house attached behind" replacement

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I don’t know that houses usually burn all the way down. The house fires alive seen around where I live usually get gutted and renovated but they don’t touch foundation/frame. For stuff like siding I’d imagine if they’re just replacing a portion of the facade or the majority of it, because at some point just patching a portion is gonna be more cost effective than redoing the whole thing in shittier cheaper materials

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i have to imagine the previous framing was also like approved and zoned correctly so it would be hard to do much beyond not rebuilding unimportant walls

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

SideEffectShit posted:

public sidewalk

slow down there, che guevara

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica
what? moneybagg joe aint got time for me? :smithicide:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Justin Tyme posted:

when your house burns down and insurance builds you a replacement do they, like, build a 1:1 copy of the house following the style of the neighborhood or do they throw up whatever vinyl siding and fake composite flooring the contractors are puking out these days, and do they build a new house with the same square footage, or as big (or small) of a house as they can build for the dollar value of the policy?

Our house was more or less a total loss down to the foundation. We still rebuilt it as a split level ranch because some of the structure above the foundation for the family room was intact, but otherwise it didn't matter. Insurance basically cut some checks made out to us and our lender and the mortgage company checked in to make sure we were rebuilding the house and not running away with the money. Other than that, we did whatever we wanted. We ended up with a substantial contents payout thanks to insurance company fuckery and put some of that money towards making pretty substantial modifications.

What I'm saying is that the insurance company doesn't build you a replacement, they just give you money.

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 21:34 on Feb 20, 2023

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

SideEffectShit posted:

It's 2051 and we're behind on our sidewalk rent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003