Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Yes and from now on we should call the Doctor "Brocktune."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Endless Trash posted:

I think after that he told me to watch Stargate Atlantis and I ended the conversation with the lie that I would definitely check it out.

this is like when picard finally figured out how to talk to darmok guy

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i herd u watched atlanta
\

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

GolfHole posted:

this is like when picard finally figured out how to talk to darmok guy

the writers of picard have read this post and have now written darmok guy into the show. but its darmok as they remember it, so he can only yell out his name like hes a pokemon

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Beeftweeter posted:

the writers of picard have read this post and have now written darmok guy into the show. but its darmok as they remember it, so he can only yell out his name like hes a pokemon

Darumaka and Joltik, at Unova.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"Mr. Picardo, I just want to say I really enjoyed Voyager and I think you were a standout addition to an already stellar cast."

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

it's like :unsmith:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Beeftweeter posted:

Hello, it’s me, Darmok.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
every time darmok is on screen people should be asking "where's jalad?"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Who's the 70 year old ensign that's playing music with Data in Sarek. Like what the hell whats that guys story.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Beeftweeter posted:

every time darmok is on screen people should be asking "where's jalad?"

Studio audience shouts: "AT TANAGRA!!"

*canned applause and laughter*

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

i herd u watched atlanta
\

it’s beautiful :kiddo:

naem
May 29, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Who's the 70 year old ensign that's playing music with Data in Sarek. Like what the hell whats that guys story.

lost half his holodeck credits in a divorce, had to keep working, mans a glowing screen of text that has this on it 8 hours a day:

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

It's budget cuts time Bob, and you're losing your Jennifer kink

Ghostlight posted:

i herd u watched atlanta
\

Good news Bobby, you're get to "act" horny around Jeri

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Beeftweeter posted:

Fortunately captain dathon already died in that episode so there’s no possible way for the writers of picard to show him being brutally eviscerated.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Fortunately captain dathon already died in that episode so there’s no possible way for the writers of picard to show him being brutally eviscerated.

If the writers of Picard ever saw a star Trek before in their lives they would be very upset to hear this

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CainFortea posted:

If the writers of Picard ever saw a star Trek before in their lives they would be very upset to hear this

The writers of Picard may be, but we can't deny that they're very familiar with everything that's come before. They're just bad at using it.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Content, doing what he loves on a spaceship every day.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Endless Trash posted:

I think after that he told me to watch Stargate Atlantis and I ended the conversation with the lie that I would definitely check it out.

somehow it makes it even funnier that you lied to picardo's face

Hollismason posted:

Starfleet doesn't do up-or-out so people can just stay at their level of competence for as long as they want to be in Starfleet, no big deal

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MikeJF posted:

The writers of Picard may be, but we can't deny that they're very familiar with everything that's come before. They're just bad at using it.

I can absolutely deny that they are very familiar with everything that's come before. Watch!

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Of course they're familiar.

Spock,

Data,

Earl Grey tea,

Koybashi maru.

See? Now let's get back to the mystery about Picard's tragic upbringing and his Illegitimate lovechild.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Maybe there's one disgruntled writer sneaking in late at night and adding a bunch of mistakes to the scripts.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
possibly it's been made in code and it actually all make sense if you only watch every second scene or something?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also Picard Season 3 got one of the Ex Astris guys (The nice one, Jörg, not the grumpy one, Bernd*) to be their lore expert and credited 'research assistant', which is super cool for him and he seems like an awesome fellow and I'm glad for him, even if most of us don't really like the show itself.

*I think if Bernd had to work on Modern Trek he would've self-combusted

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

MikeJF posted:

Also Picard Season 3 got one of the Ex Astris guys (The nice one, Jörg, not the grumpy one, Bernd*) to be their lore expert and credited 'research assistant', which is super cool for him and he seems like an awesome fellow and I'm glad for him, even if most of us don't really like the show itself.

*I think if Bernd had to work on Modern Trek he would've self-combusted

Oh this is indeed cool, and Jörg doesn't seem at all as hateful toward new Trek like Bernd does.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I hear Stargate Atlantis isn't too bad, just not as good as SG-1.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Dabir posted:

I hear Stargate Atlantis isn't too bad, just not as good as SG-1.

To truly enjoy Stargate Atlantis you must also watch A Dog's Breakfast. It even has Christopher Judge, so it counts as an Atlantis/SG-1 crossover movie.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cthulu Carl posted:

To truly enjoy Stargate Atlantis you must also watch A Dog's Breakfast. It even has Christopher Judge, so it counts as an Atlantis/SG-1 crossover movie.

A Dog's Breakfast is a fantastic little film and well worth seeing. :allears:

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Ensign Septuagenarian had a full life and rewarding career and after early retirement decided do something he always dreamed about and join Starfleet. He met the minimum standards (which are flexible because you’re dealing with so varying species) and Starfleet has strict anti-ageism policies.

He gets to use old skills in new ways and was asked to join a pick up band with senior officers. Life is good.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Totally. If being an old ensign in starfleet is the same as picking up 3 shifts a week at Walmart then sign me the gently caress up.

naem
May 29, 2011

also all medical problems can be solved by waving a glowing light bulb thing over you so they just keep reviving him every couple years when his organs give out after they find him slumped over the console

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fed scientists can create artificial organs that do the job just as well as organic ones up to and including parts of your brain. If someone asked for it, they could survive way past 200 on an increasingly artificial body.

They're just all brainwashed not to ask for it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Didn't Early TNG have a bunch of super old dudes as admirals? Not even like regular old dudes like the ones who got the bug/worm/thing and tried to take over Starfleet, but dudes that they had to cake in bad age makeup like Bones and that admiral or got some anti-aging serum for him and his wife, then chugged it all?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

naem posted:

also all medical problems can be solved by waving a glowing light bulb thing over you so they just keep reviving him every couple years when his organs give out after they find him slumped over the console

"Is he taking a nap? Nope, looks like Jerry's dead. Again. Get him to medbay, swap out whatever failed for a new one, see if he wants the day off or is good to take his shift tomorrow.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah I’ve got nothing against anyone who works in the show who isn’t an executive producer. As far as I’m concerned the blame for all its failures rests snugly in their shoes (Patrick Stewart included) and everyone else is just doing the best they can. I imagine even the writers room is probably just fine, it’s just that with Matalas getting final rewrites he turns everything into a waiting game with “big” obvious reveals stretched out over multiple episodes.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Ensign Grandpa is like one of those dumb Voyager aliens that are born old and de-age into kids over time

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Ensign Button.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Submitting the B'omar for "Dumbest looking Trek aliens", lmbo.

The way the Tellarites looked in TOS was pretty goofy as well.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Lord of Pie posted:

Ensign Grandpa is like one of those dumb Voyager aliens that are born old and de-age into kids over time

there is an episode of the animated series about this already, "the counterclock incident"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Pondex posted:

Submitting the B'omar for "Dumbest looking Trek aliens", lmbo.

The way the Tellarites looked in TOS was pretty goofy as well.

Ah, the terminally wired.