Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Video was a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

The Lone Badger posted:

Video was a mistake.

Video killed the radio star

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

last time i thought about Maddox had to have been around 06 when a loser friend of mine revealed he had bought his book, and my other loser friend (a goon) scorned him over it cause Msddox ripped off his jokes from SA

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Freaquency posted:

It’s because it’s from China Daily not because it’s poo poo talking Tesla

Kinda proving the point of the warning tbh

The funniest part is it crashing people's phone apps when they hit like, look at the replies
https://twitter.com/hasanthehun/status/1627874576234598400

https://twitter.com/maxisoffline/status/1627876019737620480
https://twitter.com/ScoutsHere/status/1627879527740317700

CBD Corndog fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 21, 2023

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jelly posted:

Also no one loving cares about your opinions on circumcision. Pretty much the entire world thinks it's stupid at this point. There is no controversy unless you're a priest. The only way you're special is in how embarrassingly loving dumb you are.

nine-gear crow posted:

Who among us is NOT constantly mad about penises, I ask you now?

Tiny Timbs posted:

lol of course there’s a guy here who got really triggered by the circumcision line

I wont talk about the wizard game anymore.

But what I was trying to convey is that in real life when I express my take on circumcision, its like a thought terminating subject and I mean people just get angry and when you ask them to explain their anger they become abusive, and I am talking IRL abuse not mean tweets.

It just seems like when gamer gate is brought up the response is ether angry or some remark about "friends we made along the way"

maddox was really funny in the late 1990's. then again so was lowtax....or maybe in the 1990s I was just stupid young person.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ups_rail posted:

I wont talk about the wizard game anymore.

But what I was trying to convey is that in real life when I express my take on circumcision, its like a thought terminating subject and I mean people just get angry and when you ask them to explain their anger they become abusive, and I am talking IRL abuse not mean tweets.

It just seems like when gamer gate is brought up the response is ether angry or some remark about "friends we made along the way"

maddox was really funny in the late 1990's. then again so was lowtax....or maybe in the 1990s I was just stupid young person.

The only reason people bring up gamer gate these days is to laugh at all the idiots that bought into that poo poo.

Except you. You seem to be posting about that dumbass movement like you exist terminally online 10 years ago.

10 years ago.

Elon? Shoo! Shoo! No one wants you here!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, a lot of people are mad that a woman said "I would like transgender and non-binary people to no longer exist" and that buying the new hot wizard game puts money into her already massive pockets to allow her to keep funding people and organizations who want to make her dream of trans people no longer existing a reality.

That's exactly what gamergate was about this whole time :rolleyes:

I wasn't really paying attention to the world of gaming when gamer gate happened and still don't really know what happened beyond a woman daring to exist and "ethics in gaming journalism" becoming a catchphrase.

Any time I've tried to ask it devolved into huge slapfights. So please, nobody try to explain it now.

But I don't need to know the finer points of the casus belli when one side is flying loving swastikas.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

Oh hey, this dead site’s silver jubilee is next year, isn’t it? Who’s catering?

It's catered by that hot dog guy who got crowdfunded by Goons

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I wasn't really paying attention to the world of gaming when gamer gate happened and still don't really know what happened beyond a woman daring to exist and "ethics in gaming journalism" becoming a catchphrase.

Any time I've tried to ask it devolved into huge slapfights. So please, nobody try to explain it now.

But I don't need to know the finer points of the casus belli when one side is flying loving swastikas.

Too bad

Some guys girlfriend cheated on him and he doxed her in a big manifesto all over the internet. But his ex had made some lovely browser game that the other guy wrote a positive review about it so he desperately tried to justify his little manifesto by saying "This isn't revenge for the messy breakup, It's about ethics in gaming journalism." An obscene amount of people bought his story, got upset, and then rapidly accelerated into an angry mob of sexist morons harassing every woman even tangentially related to video games.

That's literally it. Years and years of people slap fighting on the internet and it was that stupid and that simple.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's the story of a young couple who were creatives together. One of them was legitimately talented and her/their work was getting noticed by people and was she/they were on the road to becoming a moderately successful name in the gaming industry because of her/their talent. The other one was a ratfaced loser who no one liked or respected because he was a talentless, miserable, misogynistic twat.

They broke up eventually, and ratboy continued to be miffed that his ex-girlfriend's career was advancing while his wasn't. So he concocted a story that she/they'd slept with a bunch of game reviewers to get glowing praise for her/their HTML-based browser game, when the reviews he claims she/they paid for in sex never existed in the first place and the people he named in his initial rant that lit the eternal bonfire had never even interacted with the women in question.

Somehow this petty spat between a jealous ex and the woman who had moved on with her/their life beyond him at that point wound up lancing the giant boil on the internet that was the gaming world's decades-long build up of misogyny, racism, and queerphobia and all the Worst People You Know took it as a greenlight to become the worst possible versions of themselves publicly and many of them have remained at that social nadir for going on a decade now.

It is the dumbest poo poo possible, made even dumber by the fact that Steve Bannon was canny enough to use that frustrated incel supernova to propel Donald Trump into the White House and into the path of the man at the center of all our hearts: Elonford Musktarian.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 21, 2023

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Ups_rail posted:

or ... I was just stupid.

brevity is the soul of wit

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 21, 2023

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Wtf, that's how gamergate started? poo poo I feel like I'm getting trolled. All I ever knew was the initial fallout: a bunch of terrible, mostly male, people suddenly extremely mad that women make, review, and play video games too.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Turbinosamente posted:

Wtf, that's how gamergate started? poo poo I feel like I'm getting trolled.

Yeah gamergate is just one of those things that the more you learn about it the stupider you find out it is, and just from the outline it sounds pretty loving dumb.

I feel like though even if that wasn't the catalyst for it, something else would of started something similar around than anyway. Unfortunately seems there was a large gamer demographic that looks like they were basically just waiting for something to send them down that direction.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Turbinosamente posted:

Wtf, that's how gamergate started? poo poo I feel like I'm getting trolled. All I ever knew was the initial fallout: a bunch of terrible, mostly male, people suddenly extremely mad that women make, review, and play video games too.

Zoe Quinn broke up with a douchebag that tried to ruin her life. It had very little to do with "ethics in journalism" or whatever BS astroturfed campaign that came afterwards. Her book is quite good

https://www.amazon.com/Crash-Overri...f3-854394a166da

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Turbinosamente posted:

When it comes to chuds their big meltdowns are always rooted in the pettiest, stupidest poo poo possible

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

FoolyCharged posted:

Too bad

Some guys girlfriend cheated on him and he doxed her in a big manifesto all over the internet. But his ex had made some lovely browser game that the other guy wrote a positive review about it so he desperately tried to justify his little manifesto by saying "This isn't revenge for the messy breakup, It's about ethics in gaming journalism." An obscene amount of people bought his story, got upset, and then rapidly accelerated into an angry mob of sexist morons harassing every woman even tangentially related to video games.

That's literally it. Years and years of people slap fighting on the internet and it was that stupid and that simple.
From what I understand, 4chan already super hated her and was used to this kind of bullshit revenge-harassment request to the point where "not your personal army" was a catchphrase there. It's not so much that people were fooled into believing him as that it gave them an excuse to harass her and became a beacon for a lot of other simmering misogynistic poo poo.

It just comes up in some weird rear end ways. Steve Bannon and Milo piggybacked off of it for their alt-right poo poo despite neither giving a crap about games. That guy that bashed Paul Peloski's skull with a hammer claimed to be a gamergate convert. It came up in a conversation with a work buddy who still thought it was legitimately about ethics in games journalism years later, but he's also in this odd surface level info space where he he's online enough to love crapping on cancel culture running amok every time there's some sort of new controversy but then needs to ask what the controversy is about since he doesn't know.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Yeah gamergate is just one of those things that the more you learn about it the stupider you find out it is, and just from the outline it sounds pretty loving dumb.

I feel like though even if that wasn't the catalyst for it, something else would of started something similar around than anyway. Unfortunately seems there was a large gamer demographic that looks like they were basically just waiting for something to send them down that direction.

Yeah, if a literal nobody greasy human pimple's "My girlfriend left me" E/N post was enough to set it off, literally anything would have lit that tinderbox alight. Zoe Quinn was just unfortunate enough to have been the match that caught the spark.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/TheShovel/status/1627851974736760833?t=g3M2_ekYiY2_X4IpLtujbg&s=19

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Maddox had a (good for the time) podcast but his co-host was a proto Andrew Tate mother fucker who turns out was not doing a bit

Then he tried to do political podcasts and turns out he sucks at that

It's a shame , cos the podcast had legs

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I remember the night that dude tried to post his manifesto here and he got mocked and run off almost immediately. It was great. Then he wasn't run out of everywhere else and that wasn't great.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Turbinosamente posted:

I mean, as others have pointed out, it didn't come out of nowhere because of the manifesto of Quinn's ex, but that was the starting gun - the shithead equivalent of Rosa Parks on the bus, if you will.

I remember the thread where that dumbass posted it in Games, and everyone laughing at him (rightfully). Then seeing the slobbering, psycho-nutters that came out in support over it and being utterly dumbfounded.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

nine-gear crow posted:

It is the dumbest poo poo possible, made even dumber by the fact that Steve Bannon was canny enough to use that frustrated incel supernova to propel Donald Trump into the White House and into the path of the man at the center of all our hearts: Elonford Musktarian.
please do not talk about how dumb it is without mentioning that steve bannon's canniness was, in his own words, just a familiarity with online spaces and communities, especially toxic ones, that he developed while serving as ceo of a world of warcraft gold-farming operation for 4 years.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
gamergate was extremely frustrating for all of the previously mentioned reasons but also for some being the legitimate eye opener to the fact that "games journalism" always has been and always will be payola/plugola PR nonsense and not anything actually resembling journalism. I've had at least two friends of mine on separate occasions get hung up on how the system works, like it's some recent change. It's just a tiny bit more transparent than it used to be since individuals are getting poo poo earlier to talk about instead of gaming magazines and various other publications.

god drat every thing about gamergate just pisses me off, top to bottom inside and out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

please do not talk about how dumb it is without mentioning that steve bannon's canniness was, in his own words, just a familiarity with online spaces and communities, especially toxic ones, that he developed while serving as ceo of a world of warcraft gold-farming operation for 4 years.

Also Gamergate is the reason why Ben Shapiro is still a thing because he was on the downward spiral after his conservative wunderkind phase ended, so Andrew Breitbart hired him to try and keep Breitbart.com running while he binged entire dumptrucks of cocaine until his heart literally exploded one day, so when Steve Bannon took over the site and pivoted hard into Gamergate, Ben hopped on that beat along with Milo and rebuilt his entire brand off it.

Cut to 10 years later and Milo is (probably) dead, Bannon is in prison, and Ben is now the tiny king of incel mountain sharing part-time custody of his horde of sexless orcs with Jordan Peterson.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

gamergate was extremely frustrating for all of the previously mentioned reasons but also for some being the legitimate eye opener to the fact that "games journalism" always has been and always will be payola/plugola PR nonsense and not anything actually resembling journalism. I've had at least two friends of mine on separate occasions get hung up on how the system works, like it's some recent change. It's just a tiny bit more transparent than it used to be since individuals are getting poo poo earlier to talk about instead of gaming magazines and various other publications.

god drat every thing about gamergate just pisses me off, top to bottom inside and out.

Which is funny because I learned how scummy and disreputable both the games industry and the gaming press industry were years before gamergate from listening to James Stephanie Sterling's various horror stories about their time working at The Escapist and Destructoid and how they were blacklisted by game publishers from receiving review copies of games because they would do the unspeakable thing of voicing their honest opinion and calling bad video games bad sometimes.

So when people started screeching "This is all about ethics in video games journalism!", and I was like "Okay, so what are you going to do to help reform this cess pit?" and when the answer was "GET TURBO MAD AT AND TRY TO MURDER WOMEN!" I just laughed my rear end off.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Cut to 10 years later and Milo is (probably) dead, Bannon is in prison, and Ben is now the tiny king of incel mountain sharing part-time custody of his horde of sexless orcs with Jordan Peterson.

That seems like the demographic Elon covets, too.

BRICKFACE
Apr 20, 2002

I BITE

kdrudy posted:

I remember the night that dude tried to post his manifesto here and he got mocked and run off almost immediately. It was great. Then he wasn't run out of everywhere else and that wasn't great.

can you elaborate on this? I'd like to read it

BRICKFACE fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 21, 2023

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Going to politely request that the gamergate poo poo doesn't spill over to the next page

:)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jestery posted:

Going to politely request that the gamergate poo poo doesn't spill over to the next page

:)

I am quite confident that Elomb will do something unfathomably stupid tomorrow that will make us forget all about this dumb derail.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I bet elon has some good opinions about gamergate

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

yook posted:

I bet elon has some good opinions

Gonna stop you right there.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elon Musk: "What if you can play a video game with your car???"

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Anything anyone could want to know about gamergates is in the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergates

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Never

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Charles Ford posted:

I am 100% on board with getting rid of "algorithms". The YouTube one doesn't work for me anyway, it exclusively recommends videos I watched before, even ones I hated. I wonder if this means I'm some sort of weirdo the algorithm is unable to cater for.

Youtube is apparently so weirdly proud of their lovely algorithm that it now sabotages its own search page with algorithmic nonsese. Seriously, searching for videos where you don't remember the title or the creator has now become remarkably frustrating since the site will only show you 2-3 videos at a time before you need to scroll past 4-5 "for you" or "previously watched" videos that have nothing at all to do with your search terms.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Offler posted:

Youtube is apparently so weirdly proud of their lovely algorithm that it now sabotages its own search page with algorithmic nonsese. Seriously, searching for videos where you don't remember the title or the creator has now become remarkably frustrating since the site will only show you 2-3 videos at a time before you need to scroll past 4-5 "for you" or "previously watched" videos that have nothing at all to do with your search terms.

Youtube sickens me with their bullshit, i watched and liked Jim Stephanie Sterling’s heartfelt, powerful video on the hogwart’s legacy game and it decided it needed to recommend a matt loving walsh video what the everloving christ.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

As always when Youtube comes up, I'll recommend the Blocktube extension, which can be wielded with blunt force to make the site bearable again.

You can block shorts, playlists, videos under or over a certain length, any channel or video containing any keyword or regex you like and, of course, specific channels and videos, and more.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Offler posted:

Three of the big Herpetoculture youtubers have had to get jobs, go herping is a freaking amazon delivery driver in a 100k car now which is just staggering. They went from millions of views a video to 100k which is still a lot but that drop was enough to drive away advertisers, kill the monetisation and shut down businesses. Go herping said what he hears most from his subscribers (over 600k) is that his videos just don't show up on subscribers feeds or sidebars anymore and they just get the same two related creators over and over again. I'm looking at one of them who is an extremely irritating prick and he got 200k subscribers with million view videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Offler posted:

I just never log in to Youtube and always have it run in a private/incognito window so there is no history. It makes it much easier to use.

That's on my computers - I almost never open Youtube on my phones, but I don't doubt they would probably do exactly what you describe.