Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I watched a video called "playing the original Doom on 4 monitors"

The video was ~35 minutes long. It was ~25 minutes of setup and then ~5 minutes of gameplay, then an outro. I was really annoyed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

I watched a video called "playing the original Doom on 4 monitors"

The video was ~35 minutes long. It was ~25 minutes of setup and then ~5 minutes of gameplay, then an outro. I was really annoyed

Haha I started this same video yesterday and just noped out after skipping through a bunch and finding out he still wasn't showing Doom on 4 monitors

I do most of my watching on a TV so it's a lot more cumbersome to get to the good parts

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The Wadsworth constant is 30%. What’s the revision called?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Tiny Timbs posted:

Haha I started this same video yesterday and just noped out after skipping through a bunch and finding out he still wasn't showing Doom on 4 monitors

I do most of my watching on a TV so it's a lot more cumbersome to get to the good parts

I understand that the setup was what took so long and was so intricate, but I didn't need to see each individual computer being worked on and setup.

It is worth watching though, just skip to about 25 minutes in.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Sponsorblock had an option for cutting out the offtopic/jokes/blahblah etc and it eviscerates some of these waffle-fests

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Who's the best retro Mac channel these days (or even other not PCs)? I like channels like LGR well enough but sometimes the fixation on Windows 95/98 for almost every video gets a little boring...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mac84 is good. As is Action Retro.

Usagi Electric goes into old mainframe stuff

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

carry on then posted:

Who's the best retro Mac channel these days (or even other not PCs)? I like channels like LGR well enough but sometimes the fixation on Windows 95/98 for almost every video gets a little boring...

This Does Not Compute is probably my favourite, falls more under general retro tech but does a lot of old Mac stuff including clones and a lot of Powerbook restoration videos too. Here's a video from a few months ago on the "Mac-like Things" project.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpy6uuok66Q

And here's a restoration video on a IIe he found in the trash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upJd9Q_nEyU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I assume this is a (short!) video about some of the idiosyncrasies of the Windows fast startup thing.
What's so bad about that?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I approve of blocking every LMG channel.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

carry on then posted:

Action Retro, This Does Not Computer, Macintosh Librarian if you don't mind the mascot (who seems to be all but phased out lately)

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost

carry on then posted:

The 8-bit guy :eng99:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Suspect A posted:

The 8-bit guy :eng99:

No he was crap for them too unless you had a specific need to see one get dremel'd to gently caress

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

carry on then posted:

https://www.youtube.com/@MacintoshLibrarian

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Usagi Electric goes into old mainframe stuff
The PDP-11 is a mini computer! :mad:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So is the centurion, but in 2023 when people hear mini computer, they think raspberry pi and not an ironically gigantic computer

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

Action Retro, This Does Not Computer, Macintosh Librarian if you don't mind the mascot (who seems to be all but phased out lately)

thank god, I want to like that channel, but the anthropomorphized stuff is a nope for me

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
For actual mainframe stuff, I recently found this guys videos and channel:

https://youtu.be/K0IOhfvX_Tw

He bought an obsolete IBM mainframe and put it in his basement

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I can second Action Retro. He really likes to push the limits of the upgradability of the machines he gets his hands on. For example, in this video he manages to upgrade a 1995 Mac clone machine enough to play Minecraft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_qrjCCF7w8

That's probably the oldest motherboard in the world that can run it (even though the CPU and graphics card are from this millenium).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So is the centurion, but in 2023 when people hear mini computer, they think raspberry pi and not an ironically gigantic computer
You're right, but I was still disappointed seeing non-mainframe stuff. :(

namlosh posted:

For actual mainframe stuff, I recently found this guys videos and channel:

https://youtu.be/K0IOhfvX_Tw

He bought an obsolete IBM mainframe and put it in his basement
Aw yiss, this is the good poo poo.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What a pain in the rear end that is.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

What a pain in the rear end that is.
That's what so delightful about mainframes!

It gives nerds like me a chance to feel like how regular folks feel when I start talking about all the nonsense that's part of my life, in that it's all a bunch of arcane bullshit that seems like it should involve chanting, robes, and eldritch horrors.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In the mid 90’s, wee teenage Jim silly balls scored a job in an IT department running backups on their gigantic ancient AS/400 machine.

It backed up to gigantic tape reels and required arcane commands that I never truly understood to be entered on an amber serial terminal to kick off the multi-hour backup.

It was very cool to me at the time because it was the size of two refrigerators and cost millions of dollars but it was probably outclassed by your average 486 or early Pentium by the time I was using it. It was originally purchased in the very early 80’s.

E: googling reveals it might have been an IBM 9370? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_9370

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 22, 2023

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i mean, i got my job out of college due to some sh/sc thread that was posted about Mastering The Mainframe

joke's on me though i'm currently working on something that's adjacent to a literal green screen i wrote back in 2015 :negative:

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Can someone explain Louis Rossman to me

I think he's supposed to be a tech youtuber, as he keeps popping up on my feed, but although there's the occasional video about right to repair type stuff it's otherwise a lot of videos of an incredibly stressed and tired looking dude talking about how much he hates running a business. I think the only meaningful bit of content I saw from him was about the whole Linus warranty controversy, but even that was filtered through a lot of stuff about hating his business/himself. what happened to him

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 23, 2023

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
he does tech repairs, especially on apple hardware, so he's kind of the canary in the coal mine when there's a big apple hardware issue

obviously he's a huge hit with people who hate apple just because it's apple

he eventually started talking about other things, and as is always the case, people with domain expertise are great until they veer into punditry

he should probably just have sold repair tools as merch instead of opening dedicated repair shops beyond his main one

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Grumbles posted:

I think he's supposed to be a tech youtuber, as he keeps popping up on my feed, but although there's the occasional video about right to repair type stuff it's otherwise a lot of videos of an incredibly stressed and tired looking dude talking about how much he hates running a business. I think the only meaningful bit of content I saw from him was about the whole Linus warranty controversy, but even that was filtered through a lot of stuff about hating his business/himself. what happened to him

He's a grumpy New Yawk gently caress who runs a chain of repair shops.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

kliras posted:

he eventually started talking about other things, and as is always the case, people with domain expertise are great until they veer into punditry

yeah it's basically this. He built an audience out of streaming himself repairing Apple products and then starting chasing content for its own sake

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

He's been around forever. I haven't watched him regularly in many years but I used to find the repair videos he did fascinating. I think he might have been the first guy I ever saw do real serious board repairs on YouTube. His content used to be mostly repairs while ranting about companies like Apple and running his business.

I think he's super stressed from dealing with COVID and real-estate prices and the traveling around he's done for Right To Repair.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

The Grumbles posted:

Small man in a big chair.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Has cute cats. Hated NYC so badly he moved to Texas.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Grumbles posted:

His videos have been popping up for me too, and he seems to have fairly decent views when it comes to privacy and being pro-consumer, though I'm a bit cautious about his views regarding the covid lockdowns.

I follow several Linux youtubers, and their views generally seem to trend between 'center-right/libertarian' to 'progressive'. For example, I watch DistroTube primarily for Linux stuff; he's a decent guy but I don't care to hear about his views on "cancel culture" (which, in fairness, he doesn't do all that often).

mewse
May 2, 2006

Even when Rossman was still doing board repair videos I remember one where he was removing a component and kept repeating "begone, thot" like he had terminal reddit brain

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Level1Techs guy seems like a decent YouTuber. I’ve been watching more of his stuff. He seems pretty socially left.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Am I misremembering or did Rossman do one of those “woe is me, the downtrodden Landlord” videos a few years ago?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

carry on then posted:

Am I misremembering or did Rossman do one of those “woe is me, the downtrodden Landlord” videos a few years ago?

no you're right. he has some real gross small business owner brain poo poo going on, like "i can't believe people aren't grateful to me for blessing them with a job so they get paid what i pay them" kinda poo poo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

carry on then posted:

That's him, yes

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

mewse posted:

Even when Rossman was still doing board repair videos I remember one where he was removing a component and kept repeating "begone, thot" like he had terminal reddit brain

I'm glad I read this thread more than I actually watch youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

buglord posted:

Level1Techs guy seems like a decent YouTuber. I’ve been watching more of his stuff. He seems pretty socially left.

They seem vaguely lowercase-l libertarian. So not assholes I think