Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

there was an excellent president in his own episode and as a recurring character bit and don't you forget it

coult not say how much of that was chris parnell nailing it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like how the terror alert gauge is still on their fridge.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Kiss Kiss, Cam Cam is one of the best episodes. I just caught it randomly today and it made me laugh out loud three times total.

"You have a terrible................ body."
"...Open the gate."
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

"You on Tinder?"

"You want to get on the kiss cam TWICE? How about three times? Five? A hundred? I'm sick of your arrogance, Stan!"

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Mx. posted:

there was an excellent president in his own episode and as a recurring character bit and don't you forget it

coult not say how much of that was chris parnell nailing it again

The hell? I know Parnell is in a bunch of episodes (bunch of voices in Old Ulysses for instance, and the guy yelling about community college having a class bell off the top of my head) but I had no idea he played Garfield.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Si, si, I trace, I trace

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FireWorksWell posted:

The hell? I know Parnell is in a bunch of episodes (bunch of voices in Old Ulysses for instance, and the guy yelling about community college having a class bell off the top of my head) but I had no idea he played Garfield.

I thought it was Bill Murray

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
This son of a bitch hates Mondays.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I rewatched the Klaus' Boyz episode today.

"It's a drat cartoon! I can't look at this anymore!"

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I was tryin' to do a cartwheel!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I guess I’m not caught up after all and part of the new season isn’t on Hulu for some reason? How can I watch those ones?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Family ‘round the table
For this meal, we’re grateful
Pizza Overlord
It’s good

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

SeANMcBAY posted:

I guess I’m not caught up after all and part of the new season isn’t on Hulu for some reason? How can I watch those ones?

That's why I buy the seasons on iTunes.
I believe you can watch them on the TBS app or maybe Adult Swim's site?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hulu has been weird about American Dad seasons for forever but this season was extra strange. They threw up a bunch of episodes in a chunk, put up one episode before it aired, a couple the day after and then did not add the last 7.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

muscles like this! posted:

Hulu has been weird about American Dad seasons for forever but this season was extra strange. They threw up a bunch of episodes in a chunk, put up one episode before it aired, a couple the day after and then did not add the last 7.

And they’re listed wrong. It lists season 19 as season 17.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
fwiw there are like three different ways to count AD seasons. The three episodes Fox burned off at the end of their run or whatever were bound to lead to some weirdness, but it does suck that nobody's formally said like "No, season 1 is seven episodes and those three just go here (or are their own thing)." It's especially inconvenient when you're getting them from dubious places and don't really know what you're going to get for half of the show's run

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VsA89cU-wo

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

When Pigs Cry posted:

fwiw there are like three different ways to count AD seasons. The three episodes Fox burned off at the end of their run or whatever were bound to lead to some weirdness, but it does suck that nobody's formally said like "No, season 1 is seven episodes and those three just go here (or are their own thing)." It's especially inconvenient when you're getting them from dubious places and don't really know what you're going to get for half of the show's run

Absolutely. It made organizing my Plex library extra fun until I figured out what was even going on. I just default to the order on TVDB now.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SeANMcBAY posted:

They're on Amazon, but you have to buy them. They're also on certain other sites for free, but I'm not allowed to tell you what they are in this thread because the incredibly cool act of piracy is still technically a crime.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

When Pigs Cry posted:

I like to think it's entirely to frustrate people using grey sites

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Milo and POTUS posted:

I like to think it's entirely to frustrate people using grey sites

well, it's working

...i mean, i hear it's working

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://twitter.com/xoauri/status/1624350441361514497?s=20

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I discovered an episode I hadn't seen! 300! The one that concludes the golden poop story. It was pretty alright.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

muscles like this! posted:

While season 1 of American Dad is still good you can really tell they were struggling to find their voice because it is very similar to Family Guy.

I'm back on S1 right now - after I got current with the show, I realized I had no other show's backlog to burn through in the background while I work, so I decided to go back to the early seasons I haven't revisited since I bought the DVD sets. There's definitely a level of "Is this still just Family Guy? Is that what we're doing with this show? Let's force a pop culture/celebrity gag in there, to be safe" to the writing, but what's more striking to me is how they're leaning on some of the hoariest sitcom plots possible. "Stan's boss is coming over for dinner," "Stan needs to make a good impression with his boss to get the big promotion," "Stan forgets his anniversary," etc. It feels like a deliberate choice to go straight to the old standbys right away (and give them a "what we can get away with at 9:30 Sunday night on Fox" twist.)

The two other things that have jumped out at me so far: Oh yeah, this show started when 4:3 was still the norm for most TV sets/broadcast, and one of those forced pop culture jokes describes Joe Rogan as a "polarizing figure" simply because he's the meathead who hosts Fear Factor and not 2023's Joe Rogan.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

All the stuff around the bum fights felt like it would play out the same in Family Guy.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

JethroMcB posted:

I'm back on S1 right now - after I got current with the show, I realized I had no other show's backlog to burn through in the background while I work, so I decided to go back to the early seasons I haven't revisited since I bought the DVD sets. There's definitely a level of "Is this still just Family Guy? Is that what we're doing with this show? Let's force a pop culture/celebrity gag in there, to be safe" to the writing, but what's more striking to me is how they're leaning on some of the hoariest sitcom plots possible. "Stan's boss is coming over for dinner," "Stan needs to make a good impression with his boss to get the big promotion," "Stan forgets his anniversary," etc. It feels like a deliberate choice to go straight to the old standbys right away (and give them a "what we can get away with at 9:30 Sunday night on Fox" twist.)

The two other things that have jumped out at me so far: Oh yeah, this show started when 4:3 was still the norm for most TV sets/broadcast, and one of those forced pop culture jokes describes Joe Rogan as a "polarizing figure" simply because he's the meathead who hosts Fear Factor and not 2023's Joe Rogan.

Yeah I still appreciate the simple, high concepts of episodes in later seasons, but feel like the show really found its footing once it started exploring weird early ideas (stuff like S3E1 "Vacation Goo" and S4E9 "Stan Time") and less of the bog-standard sitcom stuff.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bwOYHtFAGs

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

MISTER AND LADY IN ROBOT VOICE

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ohhh, my God, I forgot how much this guy SUCKS

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

drat it, man, we left a ray of Nigerean sunshine in here!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Barry's parents aren't gonna rub off on Mom and Dad, they're gonna rub one out on Mom and Dad! That was probably more disgusting than it needed to be.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Every time you so much as brush your genitals against them, it's uh uh uh!

Uh uh uh!

Uh uh uh!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I still appreciate the simple, high concepts of episodes in later seasons, but feel like the show really found its footing once it started exploring weird early ideas (stuff like S3E1 "Vacation Goo" and S4E9 "Stan Time") and less of the bog-standard sitcom stuff.

The concepts in seasons 3 & 4 are just so...bizarre. "Original" feels like too mild a word to describe them. I mean, Stan gaining tremendous power & privilege as a meter maid, Roger nearly dying when he tries to be nice, Roger's personality splitting off when he acts too mean, Francine & Stan having to kill their backup spouses...I could go on and on and on.

Season 5 is drat near perfect though, in concepts & execution.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like the one where Stan gets addicted to crack.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
It's not crack! I bought it on a park bench outside a soup kitchen from a guy in a lime green suitohmygoditscrack

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

YeahTubaMike posted:

The concepts in seasons 3 & 4 are just so...bizarre. "Original" feels like too mild a word to describe them. I mean, Stan gaining tremendous power & privilege as a meter maid, Roger nearly dying when he tries to be nice, Roger's personality splitting off when he acts too mean, Francine & Stan having to kill their backup spouses...I could go on and on and on.

A subplot where it's just squirrels acting out Whats Eating Gilbert Grape

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

SeANMcBAY posted:

I like the one where Stan gets addicted to crack.

get down, get down

FireWorksWell posted:

I'm so bad at remembering B-plots :doh:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Well, goodbye. *hacks a hole in your wall with my fire axe and leaves instead of using the door*

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

I always forget that the “Gilbert” squirrel was voiced by John Krasinski

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Danuta

Danuta

It is me

Will you go there

Do you eat

I've got the money

Danuta