Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Tried to ride Tron today with my friend's CM preview. Got all the way to just before the launch and... we broke down and I had to be evac'ed. We waited for almost two hours and gave up. It didn't return to operation for five more hours. Oh well. The exterior of the ride is really cool, especially at night. I appreciated that the queue setup was very basic with no long pre-show setup or anything like that. They handled this breakdown very poorly, I suspect because it was a CM invite so they didn't feel obligated to do anything for them.

what would you want them to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

what would you want them to do

Basically anyone in line was told that if they leave, they won't be able to try and ride later. If this had been a guest event they would have allowed people to try again later in the day, but because it was Cast Members+ their friends, and they were technically only supposed to ride Tron and leave if they didn't have a park reservation, they weren't given any option other than to wait and hope that it comes up.

It ended up being down for about five hours.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Basically anyone in line was told that if they leave, they won't be able to try and ride later. If this had been a guest event they would have allowed people to try again later in the day, but because it was Cast Members+ their friends, and they were technically only supposed to ride Tron and leave if they didn't have a park reservation, they weren't given any option other than to wait and hope that it comes up.

It ended up being down for about five hours.

and this is like, freebie rides and perks being handed out. I dunno man, you sound kinda entitled.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
There’s no Beverly and the ILLs for Guardians are sold out

Why did I leave universal!?!?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know if we have to defend the billion dollar company that is currently actively loving over their staff in negotiations?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

and this is like, freebie rides and perks being handed out. I dunno man, you sound kinda entitled.

Sorry, I know it sounds entitled. It's just, I've done a lot of these, either as the employee or as a guest of the employee, and I've never seen it handled this way. Typically, the approach is "come enjoy a day at the park, and while you're here, experience the new ride during your schedule time!" Also typically, if the ride has an extended (important - this was almost a six hour delay) during your reserved time, they allow you to leave and try again later. The point of these previews is less a perk and more to familiarize the employees with the new attraction, have their friends spread word-of-mouth about it, and give the attraction's operations team a chance to practice working with real crowds before the ride officially opens.

Instead, for this event, Cast Members had to check in at the TTC, and were asked to only go to the park, ride Tron, and leave, since the park's reservations were "full". So right off the bat it was treated less like a fun freebie than before. We were evac'ed off the ride and would have been first to ride had it resumed operation. But we would have waited nearly six hours for that since they told us if we leave, we can't line up again later. The only thing I asked was for the ability to leave and queue up again later in the day, but we were told that wasn't an option. Just feels like another example of Disney showing contempt for its' employees to me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Nah it’s a lovely way to handle the situation, not the normal way they do these, and doubly crappy for cast members that have such limited access to new attractions.

We had the same happen with the Flights of Passage preview. The group ahead of us got to ride it, it broke down right before we boarded, they told us to leave with no return access, people coming later that evening got to ride it. It was real lovely and we didn’t get to ride it for over a year despite my wife working there. They could have given the ~20 of us a return slip or something, it’s not like they’re running anywhere near capacity at these events.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 19, 2023

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Joined Spice Road walk up line at 1pm. App said 10 min wait. Hostess said 30-40 min wait.

It is now 3pm. Still haven’t been called

I know it’s insane to come on a holiday weekend but dear lord

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

BlueBayou posted:

Joined Spice Road walk up line at 1pm. App said 10 min wait. Hostess said 30-40 min wait.

It is now 3pm. Still haven’t been called

I know it’s insane to come on a holiday weekend but dear lord

This is what Epcot was like when we were there in December. It's super clear the effect not hiring enough CMs has on that park in particular.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It’s not. Disney sucks rear end lmfao

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tron was very dope and I feel very nauseas. I didn’t think I’d have any problem since it’s so smooth and there are no inversions, but the combination of the angle you lie in the seat and the g forces pulling my neck down made me feel like garbage for 30 minutes after I got off. Being 6’3” didn’t help I’m sure. Very cool ride though, basically a modernized Space Mountain.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I don't know if we have to defend the billion dollar company that is currently actively loving over their staff in negotiations?

If "I dunno what you expect for a free ride preview when the ride isn't even open and surely is gonna be prone to fuckups and breakdowns?" is defending Disney with a PRESS X TO SELECT SWORD *stomps around on stained glass belle's face*, I dunno.

But hey, I can always be wrong, too. If you've done a lot of them and they usually do it different, then they should be. I am honestly surprised that it's not just "eh, well, poo poo out of luck. no big deal. see you when it actually opens" as normal policy though.

E: I really like Kingdom Hearts, okay? And I got to kind of shoehorn in a dumb reference to it and and and :qq:

E2: I don't ride Space Mountain so there's no way I'm riding Tron, but I'll hold all your bags or whatever, so just find me and the dog hanging out completely buried in purses somewhere near the entrance.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

But hey, I can always be wrong, too. If you've done a lot of them and they usually do it different, then they should be. I am honestly surprised that it's not just "eh, well, poo poo out of luck. no big deal. see you when it actually opens" as normal policy though.

I'm of the opinion that the employees should get ample opportunity to experience a new attraction at the resort they work at before the public. It's not just a nice perk, it's crucial to the final "testing" phases before soft opening to the public. Before Velocicoaster went to public soft openings, some of my fellow TM friends rode it dozens of times. I realize Disney has vastly more employees to deal with so they have to have a bit more control over it, but the employees deserve more than "you get one small window on one day, and if it's down during your time, oh well, sorry", even though people with windows after you will get to experience it.

Plus, as we all know, once it's open, the CM's will be blocked out of MK for months, not to mention the Virtual Line bullshit to deal with for at least a year if they're actually allowed in.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/oocparks/status/1627131980201730048?s=46&t=XE3HBHXv22z_wp9XpRQfLA

Meet our son who will certainly be getting some air

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Kannon

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I really hope there's some tolerance built into the guidelines for that sort of obvious idiocy.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Disney will probably ban them for that

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

that's the most Florida tiktok I've ever seen.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If "I dunno what you expect for a free ride preview when the ride isn't even open and surely is gonna be prone to fuckups and breakdowns?" is defending Disney

The thing is, no one is upset the ride stopped. They’re bothered that they were screwed out do the chance to ride it at all by a no return policy. The chance to just come back and try again is the bare minimum they could offer the cast members that missed out. I don’t think any cast members were being rude to other cast members and acting entitled to ride it right now and stomping their feet. In fact, OP ended their initial explanation of events with “Oh well”, which is the least entitled sounding way to act about it at all.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 20, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The CM previews also allow 3 guests each. So this isn't just the employees being treated that way.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

I'm of the opinion that the employees should get ample opportunity to experience a new attraction at the resort they work at before the public. It's not just a nice perk, it's crucial to the final "testing" phases before soft opening to the public.

It's my understanding that the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland was FAR bumpier in cast previews, they used all those folks as live test subjects. I can only imagine, that is a pretty rough ride!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Indiana Jones was far bumpier from 1995-2001 until a passenger died of head trauma ~20 years ago.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They hold specifically MK cast previews before the general ones too, I assume for that reason. The familiarity part, not the testing for head trauma part.

I have a friend who works for Disney and she said when she went to sign-up she was just assigned a slot with seemingly no way to change it. It ended up being a day she's not even home. She does work for Disney corporate (software development stuff) and not in the parks but I don't imagine that makes a difference. They have all the same park perks, except for the fancier unlimited use guest entry.

I'm in town the last 2 days of CM previews so we were trying to get a day then, but then the announced AP days are all during my trip so I got one of those.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Eh it’s better than the pandora previews, where you entered a lotto and 90% of the cast did not get an opportunity to ride.

Any ride op worth their salt is immediately making that kid take off his shoes.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Tim Whatley posted:

Meet our son who will certainly be getting some air

When I was a kid, I was very short for my age, so one year my mom had me put rolled up washcloths in the heels of my shoes, so I could "gain" a few inches to ride Cedar Downs on our annual family trip to Cedar Point. It was the coolest thing as a kid, but probably not the smartest thing for us to do.

Though, I'm not sure Cedar Downs really needs a 48" height restriction. I think that and some other rides use height to restrict for "maturity" level, so some kid that is too young doesn't ride alone and do something stupid.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Cais posted:

Eh it’s better than the pandora previews, where you entered a lotto and 90% of the cast did not get an opportunity to ride.

Any ride op worth their salt is immediately making that kid take off his shoes.

I am so glad they didn't do that for Galaxy's Edge and just let everyone get a preview. I didn't get a Pandora preview (although someone did invite me to theirs) and it was super annoying to watch most everyone i know be in the same bot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Good-Natured Filth posted:

When I was a kid, I was very short for my age, so one year my mom had me put rolled up washcloths in the heels of my shoes, so I could "gain" a few inches to ride Cedar Downs on our annual family trip to Cedar Point. It was the coolest thing as a kid, but probably not the smartest thing for us to do.

Though, I'm not sure Cedar Downs really needs a 48" height restriction. I think that and some other rides use height to restrict for "maturity" level, so some kid that is too young doesn't ride alone and do something stupid.

Height requirements always have a solid buffer over the actual minimum safe height because you don't want a situation where someone is just barely safe because they just barely meet the requirement.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Ah yes, the noted Disney ride, Iron Gwazi. It's in the right state at least...?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

After getting loving roasted on social media, the dad made a response video sincerely apologizing that it was a joke in poor taste and the family would never endanger the lives of their children and nobody else should either

lmao jk, that shithead doubled down and isn't sorry and posted pics of his kid riding slinky

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7201274258650336558

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I am sure nobody has put lifts in their kids shoes to meet a height requirement before. This is a historic first.

It's not. It's another thing that has happened infrequently for generations now, and the only difference is that people of the past did not have social media to bleat about it on. Therefore this whole thing is really more about social media's reality and people feeling the need to share anything with complete strangers than anything else.

Death to apps.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I mean, the choice of music on that first video is also proof that this is a culture war thing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

show me any "X family" social media account and I'll show you people that should not have had children

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

show me any "X family" social media account and I'll show you people that should not have had children

I've seen literally one family blog that should have been a family and they just wanted to help people learn tips and tricks to save money on poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AsdMtfY49M spoilers/pov for tron coaster if y'all want to see it. I know there are a few videos out there but you know, another one never hurts, etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've seen literally one family blog that should have been a family and they just wanted to help people learn tips and tricks to save money on poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AsdMtfY49M spoilers/pov for tron coaster if y'all want to see it. I know there are a few videos out there but you know, another one never hurts, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCbUqohIFdI

this one does a pretty good job showing the interior section, better than the others I've seen so far. Been looking for good ones because there was so much I missed.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Craptacular! posted:

I am sure nobody has put lifts in their kids shoes to meet a height requirement before. This is a historic first.

It's not. It's another thing that has happened infrequently for generations now, and the only difference is that people of the past did not have social media to bleat about it on. Therefore this whole thing is really more about social media's reality and people feeling the need to share anything with complete strangers than anything else.

Death to apps.

I mean, yeah? I don't think anyone here is pearl clutching over parents fudging a kid's height to get on a ride.

They're getting ripped on because they're exploiting their kid for views and proudly showing how little they give a poo poo about his safety, and are encouraging other parents to follow their lead. Then when they get called out for being lovely they double down. They're just dirtbags fishing for clout on social media

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It seems they're also just going to a whole pile of effort to mislead people and generate rage so... gently caress them anyway, but for another reason too?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
They also named their little poo poo spawn "Kannon"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I won't watch any of those Tron rides so I don't get spoiled, but based on the track and lighting stuff, seems like night rides are best for this one? I mean, this is true for any outdoor ride, but even more so here?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Only a small part of it's outdoors, but yes anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Probably, yeah. I mean, it’s Tron. All the neon and stuff is gonna look sick at night.

I’m a dummy and booked out passholder preview for the morning. :doh:

Oh, well. We’re going back in May, so maybe I’ll grab an ILL for nighttime then.