Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

crime weed posted:

is it possible to beat sector 40, or does it scale insanely fast as to act as a progression wall?

Klungar posted:

It’s intended to be impossible, as it’s past the end of current content. It’ll be nerfed once more content is available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

crime weed posted:

is it possible to beat sector 40, or does it scale insanely fast as to act as a progression wall?

Was wondering the same -- Someone replied earlier that it's purposely unbeatable, and is the end of the current content.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dipwood posted:

I regret that I wasted so many AI points on nonsense QoL stuff because I didn't read what the other things did.
lol same, even the loadouts suck while you're going up because new shards and so on and really I wish I hadn't bought 'em at all

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

Klungar posted:

Farmer Against Potatoes Idle finally launched on iOS, in case you have been waiting on that. Any tips for someone just starting out?

The game will give you many systems to interact with, and none of them matter except in how they can increase your reincarnation xp. (Residue does this via the xp reduction upgrade and is thus the most valuable stat. Item rating is roughly 1/2 to 1/3 as good as reinc xp, other stats generally at best 1/40 as good as reincarnation xp. The game's stat valuations do not reflect this at all.)
Don't rotate through all the classes until you can reach level 2000ish on one. You get 10x class xp multiplier per 1000 levels and this is better than the few talent points you'd get starting out on different classes with no bonus multiplier.
Runs longer than 12h are basically dead time, and 2h runs are the optimal length until you reach Reinc level 2000 due to compounding effects of the passive RL bonuses.
If you are doing something specific involving the confection system (larva/worms/poop) it needs to give you at least 1000x increase to have a measurable impact.
The repeatable path challenges are tedious but give absurd bonuses, and getting additional completions on paths as often as possible is the key to keeping progress from stalling. This is the worst part the early game but does get automated away later.
The cryptic line on the reincarnation screen "Waves Spawned" is unique waves in every area. This means you want to fully clear every area on the hardest difficulty can you do. (A medium clear counts as an easy clear.)

That's the big stuff new players miss because the game either directly misleads them or poorly communicates. You can figure out good strategies from there.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'd honestly say the only super necessary ones are Research Auto Select, Auto Merge, and Smart Craft 1. The rest of the automation is handy but doesn't really save you that much.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Automerge doesn't even matter for a long time. The game vastly overstates its neccessity.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I genuinely disagree. Basically right up until the end of content you're getting new shards, and auto merge means you don't have to check in every hour to make sure your inventory doesn't fill up.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah, i have no idea how anybody would consider auto-merge to be less valuable than most of the other AI options.

I hate wasted time, anything that prevents me from feeling I need to baby sit the game or lose potential progress is very valuable.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Yeah auto-merge is easily the best automation followed closely by research automation then compute auto salvage and the two for compute auto optimize which removes tons of busy work. I'd only get core and smart craft after those. Autowarp is just useless though.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 18, 2023

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Auto warp is going to be nice long term though if the game goes on for a year or longer. When you are sitting at the content wall and not pushing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I mean, maybe if the game gets to the point where you are farming multiple shard types with thousands of shards at once, maybe....

But, as of now, I've never wanted for the auto-merge, and I'm often not getting any shard drops at all, so it's quite often completely useless.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

As somebody who isn't playing optimally and thus checking up on things every few hours or whatevs, and instead letting things hang out a day or three, auto-merge is the difference between coming back to a full inventory of something that has a .2% chance of spawning that you get maybe 30-40% progression in for your time and coming back to those finds maxed out.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

explosivo posted:

What's the best weapon loadout after getting the Kinetic Cannon? Trying 2 kinetics and a beam right now and that seems to be working alright.

I just started using all kinetics. Seems fine so far.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Missile Launcher seems kinda bad. My sustain went down after swapping from 2x kinetic + 2x bomb to 2x missile + 2x bomb.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Missiles are pretty much exclusively for swarmers and you'll be glad you have em then. Any other time, they're not really that useful.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Arzaac posted:

Missiles are pretty much exclusively for swarmers and you'll be glad you have em then. Any other time, they're not really that useful.

Even on the swarmers at the opening of Sector 36 they seem meh

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The weirdest thing in SpaceIdle is that "61 minutes" is displayed as "~2 hours".

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Even on the swarmers at the opening of Sector 36 they seem meh

missiles' suitability depends a lot on the choices you're making on your Core upgrades; they default to a "twice as many missiles that fire faster" upgrade when the other option is a "half as many missiles but they actually do appreciable damage"

so tweak your upgrade settings, is my advice, 'cause I love the things

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Man I feel like I'm slightly behind y'alls pace in USI. I'm at 23 days and just unlocked Warp Cores. Still having fun though. Is there anything fantastically strong in the Warp Essence upgrades that is worth bee-lining to? Since I just started, I'm just grabbing cost-effective upgrades, while trying to favor Synth/Base since most of my gains come from Synth Modules and Bases.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

IMO focus primarily on the Synth stuff, for the +1 Synth XP and eventually +1 Synth Slot. Overall because of the exponential scaling you should definitely spread things out, but those two bonuses are very relevant. I'd also get the first damage upgrade reasonably early as it just scales your stats based on your warp multiplier, and there's a similar one for compute halfway down the tree. Oh, and of course you wanna spend points on the tree that increases warp, that's just investing in the future.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I just finished the Demon King on my first run in My Chronicle and I want to make sure I understand all the moving pieces before reincarnating. As far as I can tell i want to get it up to 1 sin before rebooting.

1) A guide I'm reading suggests maxing level/luck via research on a bunch of stuff including the rare monsters like faeries. I understand I can do this using the demon summon trick. What is the benefit though? I don't see that show up in the sin calcs.

2) The guide also mentioned getting a 500 satiety auto eat slot but I don't see that anywhere.

3) Other than that, the only open actions I see are trying to unlock the Vast Desert by grinding guild points. Not sure if that is worth it.

Anything I'm missing?

e: Also I'm not sure whats up with the Reincation selection options:

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 19, 2023

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

2) The guide also mentioned getting a 500 satiety auto eat slot but I don't see that anywhere.

As you eat food in the Routine>Gluttony tab, it fills up this Satiety bar.

When you Dark Ritual, the bar resets and gets longer depending on how much you filled it up. There are achievements for getting your Satiety to 200/500/etc that each give you +1 Auto-Eat. Auto-Eating lets you pick a food to automatically eat food as it enters your inventory. This lets you set Auto-Eat to say, Pork, and then farm the Orc for a while and increases your +Attack while you're idling.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Lone Goat posted:

As you eat food in the Routine>Gluttony tab, it fills up this Satiety bar.

When you Dark Ritual, the bar resets and gets longer depending on how much you filled it up. There are achievements for getting your Satiety to 200/500/etc that each give you +1 Auto-Eat. Auto-Eating lets you pick a food to automatically eat food as it enters your inventory. This lets you set Auto-Eat to say, Pork, and then farm the Orc for a while and increases your +Attack while you're idling.

Ah ok. I got the first slot no problem. I'm only at like 300 and probably not going to DR again so oh well.

Thanks.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The rare monsters typically remove the need to farm a material. I forget the exact names, but the village rare fairy auto generates flowers (good for wreaths on future reincarnations). The woods fairy auto generates herbs, also good for the start of a reincarnation. The sludge slime (academic city) generates manure and is one of the only research drop multipliers. You can see where this is going.

So having those summons maxed out means they are going to auto generate faster, making whatever you are farming for spawn faster.

Also, I think going for the desert village on your very first run might be a bit premature. Get a few runs and a bunch of stat ups under your belt. It is a pretty big jump in difficulty. In fact each of the subsequent areas you open are a sizeable jump in difficulty.

If you didn’t notice the math, you get 10% of your current satiety added on to max satiety when you DR. So that is why it will take you a long time to work back up to 500. If you are at 300, could be as few as 6ish more to get to 500, provided you unlocked the cooking sub area before graduating. The extra foods make it a lot easier to max out your satiety each DR.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Orvin posted:

The rare monsters typically remove the need to farm a material. I forget the exact names, but the village rare fairy auto generates flowers (good for wreaths on future reincarnations). The woods fairy auto generates herbs, also good for the start of a reincarnation. The sludge slime (academic city) generates manure and is one of the only research drop multipliers. You can see where this is going.

So having those summons maxed out means they are going to auto generate faster, making whatever you are farming for spawn faster.

Also, I think going for the desert village on your very first run might be a bit premature. Get a few runs and a bunch of stat ups under your belt. It is a pretty big jump in difficulty. In fact each of the subsequent areas you open are a sizeable jump in difficulty.

If you didn’t notice the math, you get 10% of your current satiety added on to max satiety when you DR. So that is why it will take you a long time to work back up to 500. If you are at 300, could be as few as 6ish more to get to 500, provided you unlocked the cooking sub area before graduating. The extra foods make it a lot easier to max out your satiety each DR.

Ohhh I didn't realize you kept your dudes when you reincarnated. OK, yeah I get it now.

And yeah I suppose I could just fire off a few DRs to grind some inspiration and get the gluttony up. Thanks much.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Ohhh I didn't realize you kept your dudes when you reincarnated. OK, yeah I get it now.

And yeah I suppose I could just fire off a few DRs to grind some inspiration and get the gluttony up. Thanks much.

Reincarnation resets most things. You keep any achievement rewards, permanent quest bonuses, summons (all levels associated), equipment (and it’s levels), anything bought in astral and akashic pages.

So all the things you buy throughout the story have to be rebought/unlocked every time. It will get faster as you get further into reincarnations and the akashic pages.

Granted, I have only cleared up to the 4th ending. But I just got through what I think are all the regular zones. I am currently farming seeds and destiny to level up my main character, as to max that out is 430 million when everything has been cleared (so far). And clearing out some of the backlog of stuff in the astral page to buy for inspiration before I dive in and tackle the 5th ending and all the Pride challenges. I have been playing kinda slowly and letting it run in the background mostly.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
While it might be technically possible to enter the desert, and even defeat the boss, on your first run, it is definitely not recommended (it would take far longer than just going through multiple reincarnations). You will go through multiple reincarnations prior to getting anywhere near the stats required. In terms of difficulty the desert boss is between ED2 and ED3, but you can clear the first two sections with the same stats required to beat ED2.

The biggest piece of advice for a new player is probably that you want to use dark ritual on cooldown (1 hour) unless you are aiming for a certain rank. Dark ritual is such a huge driving force for your advancement that it really can’t be understated. Ranking up gives inspiration and although higher ranks give more inspiration per rank, they also take much longer.

Another thing to keep in mind is how gluttony and dark ritual work together. Eating 1000 pork between 10 dark rituals is going to give you a higher atk bonus compared to eating 1000 pork without using DR. As DR also resets the amount of food you need to eat in order to gain the bonus. The guide on steam wants you to hit 500 before your first reincarnation because having two auto-eat slots is very useful, e.g. auto-eat both pork and salt for physical attack bonus. That and you’re already close enough to reaching 500 satiety before your first reincarnation, so might as well push for it.

When it comes to rare monsters, I wouldn’t necessarily try and farm the zone to get them unless you chose Tamer because it can increase the spawn chance with one of its routines. Although the first few aren’t quite so bad to get, but the spawn rates for each progressive area gets much lower. The two fairies are easy to get, but even the 3rd rare monster can be a pain and it is a very useful one.

Something to keep in mind is that offline mode for this game is just bad, so if you’re playing on mobile or not keeping it idle on PC expect your progression to be much much slower.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The offline mode got a bit of a revamp in the past month or two. I am not sure how much better it has gotten over how it used to be. But you get like 50% gains for the first 24 hours until you start getting offline boosters.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

USI: I'm just starting to break into green level synthing and sector 14. I'm unsure about what to do with synth points at this point. I have four modules and have finished the first and second synth speed upgrades - when do I say gently caress it and hunker down and chase synth slot 3? Alternatively, do I get module slot 5? 6?

Edit: also all the starter upgrades, obviously.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Kyrosiris posted:

USI: I'm just starting to break into green level synthing and sector 14. I'm unsure about what to do with synth points at this point. I have four modules and have finished the first and second synth speed upgrades - when do I say gently caress it and hunker down and chase synth slot 3? Alternatively, do I get module slot 5? 6?

You'll need it all eventually however Synth slot 3 is truly helpful, I did mine near the end of green.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kyrosiris posted:

Edit: also all the starter upgrades, obviously.
That's exactly when I chased synth slot 3, but if you have a specific use for the module slot you can get that first if it's cheaper.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That's exactly when I chased synth slot 3, but if you have a specific use for the module slot you can get that first if it's cheaper.

Mostly the module would just let me run all of Attack, Shield, Salvage, Compute boosts *and* Auto Laser Boost.

Boy Auto Laser Boost is great though. :catstare:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Kyrosiris posted:

Mostly the module would just let me run all of Attack, Shield, Salvage, Compute boosts *and* Auto Laser Boost.

Boy Auto Laser Boost is great though. :catstare:

Auto Laser falls off a cliff later, don't fall into the trap of keeping it on during like blue+ Extremely good early.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Orvin posted:

The offline mode got a bit of a revamp in the past month or two. I am not sure how much better it has gotten over how it used to be. But you get like 50% gains for the first 24 hours until you start getting offline boosters.

They also either made a really bad change or broke something. I gained 20 scrap metal over 11 hours of being offline with something like 800+ clears of the zone, so not even capping a resource is really annoying.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Maguoob posted:

While it might be technically possible to enter the desert, and even defeat the boss, on your first run, it is definitely not recommended (it would take far longer than just going through multiple reincarnations). You will go through multiple reincarnations prior to getting anywhere near the stats required. In terms of difficulty the desert boss is between ED2 and ED3, but you can clear the first two sections with the same stats required to beat ED2.

Desert (at least farming the monsters from the first two areas) is very doable on your second or third run if you want -- you get the advantage of eating all the farmwork anchovy sandwiches + pork for fast damage before you leave, you can get your Destroyer summons online + get MC to 21.8k max level for a very strong lineup compared to your first ED1, etc. I'm just chilling in my third run to grab the third auto-eat slot, then I'm going to see if all those sandwiches put me at the point where I can shoot for an early ED2 to skip Norn's endless forest shenanigans going forward. Worst case, I just audible back to a third ED1 and can basically ignore gluttony until way later.

It's not the most efficient progression, especially since I'm not on the hourly DR grind, but I'm going to have a lot more fun finishing out the ED1 clears once I get it to the point where getting to Academic City is something I can AFK while waiting for the first DR to become available. That extra max destiny is going to be huge for cutting out a lot of the grindier upgrade chains.

MattDarling
Apr 25, 2017
Still haven't joined the rest of the thread on Unnamed Space Idle, but I'll get to it some day, I'm sure.

Did want to throw another mention for Magic Research, now available on iOS. Elevator pitch: an RPG spin on Kittens Game. The demo is free and covers the early game in full, so it's worth a try if you're into that branch of the genre.

It's a complete game, and all the information you need should be available in game now. It's not a "scour Discord/the wiki to succeed" kind of game. Any time I got stuck, there was something I could unlock that solved the problem. And a lot of the QoL bonuses have been pushed earlier in the game now.

I've completed the game on Android, and the dev has been making substantial updates every 2-3 days for the past month. But it's not a "random poo poo breaks cause of rapid patches" experience - it's clear the dev has professional software experience. Solid patch notes, very few technical issues, and really gracious handling of player feedback. Stands out in a genre usually dominated by passionate amateurs.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
I've been playing Your Chronicle and using the guide linked inside the game on occasion, and it seems to think the Queen Bee summon is very very important, but I've been idling 40+ hours in the Deep of Moon Forest and only seen it six times.

I still have a while to go before reincarnating, but I've trounced the first ending and I'm just kind of puzzled at the low low spawn rates.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I downloaded Your Chronicle on Steam last night and bounced off the UI hard. It felt weirdly unresponsive and made it hard to see what what was actually happening. Is this just how the whole thing is?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Toshimo posted:

I downloaded Your Chronicle on Steam last night and bounced off the UI hard. It felt weirdly unresponsive and made it hard to see what what was actually happening. Is this just how the whole thing is?

For me, it only felt unresponsive and lovely when I tried the mobile layout. It's not entirely intuitive, but it's not a bad UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Does the need to min-max gluttony cool off or get an automation eventually? I can see this being more finicky than I care for in an idle game.