Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Dungeon Ecology posted:

ive heard the term 'french vanilla' used to describe a creature that is simply a P/T and an evergreen keyword like vigilance or trample.

Yeah, but I'm trying to talk about the statline + combat abilities of creatures with other abilities as well, as distinct parts contributing to their effectiveness. Maybe I'll call it a chassis or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I just realized that there's a possibility that we get a Tinybones and That Weird Round Guy That He Hangs Out With card in MOM and now I'm excited

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Round guy should be Reezug, the Bonecobbler, he got a DMU Alchemy card.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

ram dass in hell posted:

would absolutely not recommend buying a complete set of commander legal sets as a cost saving enterprise

This makes it sound dumber than it is. I live in a small country with very few LGS'es and almost no local play community so i have to buy cards online from international shops. Shipping costs are extremely high ($40 is used as a minimum figure several places i checked) and i need to pay VAT + a toll fee to import the cards on top of that. If i wanted to buy a single card that cost $10 for example, the total cost would be about $80. As such i am HIGHLY motivated to do bulk purchases that are planned very well, so that i get as many cards as possible in as few shipments as possible.

big cummers ONLY posted:

Buying 4x playsets of commons isn't too expensive if you're just gonna do it as sets come out. You will still never use most of them, and the cards that don't get used aren't going to make it easier to cash out of the game. Most of the cards you buy like this will be sold off in bulk for pennies on the dollar when you decide to quit.

You can make more money back when you cash out of commander, but you will still be spending hundreds of dollars, several times a year to buy one of every Commander-legal card. You still probably won't break even when you decide to cash out. Plus, it takes time and effort to sell all those cards one at a time.

In both of these scenarios, a portion of your storage space will be taken up by MtG product that you will never use and will likely lose money on when you try to sell it. It is guaranteed loss and nuisance, with no upside.

I had this idealized idea that complete sets would be easier to move, as it is a specific searchable product rather than a bunch of individual cards. Looking at the market though it doesn't look like complete sets sell very often.

Common sets are in this weird space where the 1-2 commons that sees play in a set costs the same as the entire common set, but by buyng complete sets is as you say a bunch of bulk cardboard that will just take up space.
There are some weird outliers though, like this one common i saw that cost more than a full common set containing said common.

big cummers ONLY posted:

You don't want to build decks, right? Since you're averse to even swapping out 3 cards in a commander precon. This means you have no use for any card that isn't in a deck you own at that moment.

I would'nt mind building decks, its mostly due to the afforementioned availability issue, buying a few cards here and there to try out is not really possible when i need to pay so much to get them.
I am definitely at where i find it more interesting to have custom decks (be they decklists or made by myself) rather than precons or smaller more contained formats.

big cummers ONLY posted:

e: also, making this post made me realize how irrationally angry I am with WotC that I now feel compelled to explain the difference between Jumpstart 2020/2022 and set Jumpstarts, to make sure uninformed consumers don't purchase the worst Magic product on the market instead of the best one. The best and worse products have the same name loving lol

I have a ~$400 amazon gift card i was thinking of buying some MTG products with. I have had the gift card for years and never really shop at amazon so i figure i might as well use it on MTG.
I'd prefer to buy single cards but amazon doesn't carry that, or the WH40k precons but they are sold out.
Would buying Jumpstart 2022 be a good idea? Should i buy the new Phyrexia set instead? Dominaria Remastered?

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 21, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sadly buying a bunch of any given set won't necessarily push you towards decks you wanna build or play, but draft boxes are a fun time if you actually get folks (and you only need 1 if doing a Winston draft)to draft it with, so you get games out of the cards and packs. Precons get you a playable deck you can upgrade with singles or take apart and make your own thing. Set Boosters best if you're just busting open packs. Which sets to get is mostly up to what you like most or which has the most cards/mechanics you're interested in playing with.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ineptitude posted:

This makes it sound dumber than it is. I live in a small country with very few LGS'es and almost no local play community so i have to buy cards online from international shops. Shipping costs are extremely high ($40 is used as a minimum figure several places i checked) and i need to pay VAT + a toll fee to import the cards on top of that. If i wanted to buy a single card that cost $10 for example, the total cost would be about $80. As such i am HIGHLY motivated to do bulk purchases that are planned very well, so that i get as many cards as possible in as few shipments as possible.

A complete set of commander legal cards would cost hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars. 100% don't just order them one card at a time, but there's a difference between "I'm going to get 2 decks" and "I'm going to get 20,000 cards, some of which cost hundreds of dollars due to scarcity but will never see play in any deck because they're terrible"

[edit]

There are 24,479 legal commander cards according to scryfall, many of which go in zero decks and a smaller number of which will go in many or most decks.

If you're just playing For Fun and not competitively, proxy services like MPCFill are probably the way to go given how expensive the shipping for individual orders was going to be. Make decks on Archidekt or Moxfield then go wild.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 21, 2023

Serf
May 5, 2011

At that point, if it's just gonna be you and friends, maybe just order proxies. You can double-side them so that each card pulls double duty, and you can get a lot of them for relatively cheap. Maximum single order size on MPC is 612 cards, that's enough for a full pod of decks plus 2 more on top or 200-ish extras to play around with modifying the decks you get. If you have basic lands you can save yourself a few more slots for even more up/sidegrades to maximize playability of what you get.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I'll agree that proxies are a good fit for you. It sounds like it's going to be an expensive pain in the rear end to get real cards. If you really want real cards, a box of Jumpstart 2022 would be hugely replayable. Or one each of 2020 and 2022. Just don't buy any Jumpstart product that's attached to a set, like "Jumpstart Dominaria United." You want either 2020 or 2022.

With $400 I imagine you could get a box of both 2020 and 2022, and a few boxes of sleeves. Sleeve up the packs you open and store them separately (envelopes are a good cheap option) and you'll have a battle box of mix-and-matchable packs. Some will be duplicates but you'll probably get around 40 unique themes from two boxes of Jumpstart. And if your group ever gets bored of Jumpstart, there's still a ton of playables in those sets to get you started building other decks.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Serf posted:

At that point, if it's just gonna be you and friends, maybe just order proxies. You can double-side them so that each card pulls double duty, and you can get a lot of them for relatively cheap. Maximum single order size on MPC is 612 cards, that's enough for a full pod of decks plus 2 more on top or 200-ish extras to play around with modifying the decks you get. If you have basic lands you can save yourself a few more slots for even more up/sidegrades to maximize playability of what you get.

Not sure if it's ok to talk about in the thread, but I was looking at picking up some differently backed proxies for making my own vintage cube, probably some custom art on some of the cards, and I'd seen people recommending MPC for that. Do they have a discount per card on big orders?

Someone was saying it's 30 cents per card, but seems significantly higher now. Not sure if that's just inflation or what

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Not sure if it's ok to talk about in the thread, but I was looking at picking up some differently backed proxies for making my own vintage cube, probably some custom art on some of the cards, and I'd seen people recommending MPC for that. Do they have a discount per card on big orders?

Someone was saying it's 30 cents per card, but seems significantly higher now. Not sure if that's just inflation or what

Make sure you are looking at 'price per deck' and not 'price per card'. If you are looking at a 'up to 55 card deck', and divide the price by 55, that's your price per card.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

MPC generally does bulk orders of the same card, and you get higher discounts the more cards you order. Generally people stick to a "deck" of 612 cards, which I believe comes out to like $150. Shipping for me was about $30 on top of that. Also you can't use MPC to make counterfeits, they will reject cards that have the copyright info in the bottom right corner, so all the cards you print with them are considered to be just proxies. All it takes is a quick look to see that they're not "real" cards so I think it's cool to talk about them. On top of that you can't use the official Magic card back either, that's another quick tell.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Mat Cauthon posted:

This tracks but man if Hazoret gets got :argh:

Nice catch, hadn't noticed that at all.

IIRC he loses to Elspeth in Theros Beyond Death because enough people have either stopped believing in him or switched over to believing in Elspeth such that her weapon (Shadowspear) becomes more real than his.

Then he gets dragged off to deity timeout by Erebos. So maybe he gets out (or set free) by the time the Phyrexians show up but much diminished in both power and adherents, setting him up for easy compleatin.

Because of how the Theros gods work, the process was completing the believers and faithful to compleat Heliod. As the flavor text says, compleate the faith, compleate the God.

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1627380050621304834?t=Y79-0eeU_hov4OllbGDE0A&s=19

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/ReidDuke/status/1628036542684884993

drat

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Make sure you are looking at 'price per deck' and not 'price per card'. If you are looking at a 'up to 55 card deck', and divide the price by 55, that's your price per card.

Ahhhh ok, yeah I think that's probably exactly where I went wrong. Was only looking at the price per card!

I need to put a custom back on them though, probably just a simple one with "PROXY" across it or something

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Ahhhh ok, yeah I think that's probably exactly where I went wrong. Was only looking at the price per card!

I need to put a custom back on them though, probably just a simple one with "PROXY" across it or something

Use MPCFill, there's a bunch of custom card backs there and it automates the whole process pretty well.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Use MPCFill, there's a bunch of custom card backs there and it automates the whole process pretty well.

Oh nice, I'll check it out then. Also it looks way easier than me finding everything manually lol

Serf
May 5, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Oh nice, I'll check it out then. Also it looks way easier than me finding everything manually lol

Some people have an issue with it making you download a small app to make it work, but it's safe to use. If you want to put a second card on the back though you'll need to manually enter those into the MPC interface.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Even then, making two lists with MPCFill to get the images is a good idea even if you have to do half of it by hand

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Boo, Battle cards are another trash unplayable double faced card. Seriously gently caress off wizards knock it off with that poo poo

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Source your quote

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I think people are assuming because each pack of MoM will have a double face card.

One thing that seems to have not been commented on, but serial numbers are back for the insert legends. They come in regular, etched foil, halo foil and serialized.

I mean double faced cards does seem like a good to handle them? Do it like a mix of the Ixalan treasures and the old world enchantments, an objective on the front and flips to a 'conquered' world legendary land. If you and an opponent have the same battle and you complete first, you get the benefit of the legendary land until your opponent completes theirs. At that point you flip your land back to the battle side and start again.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 21, 2023

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
double faced cards are cool except when done poorly like the Kaldheim ones or the Strixhaven ones

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

whydirt posted:

Source your quote

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/117lms9/mom_from_a_wizards_email_battle_cards_to_be_in/

My first thought is that the front could have something that helps you and a condition your opponents have to meet to flip it, back side would help them and have a condition you have to meet to flip it back. Would make senes for the type name and them being dual face cards. I really hope that's not what it is though, because constant flipping would be annoying.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I didn't see that the double faced cards where specially called out as battle cards. That means even draft boosters can have 1-3 rares and mythics.

Should make for an interesting sealed environment.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just really dislike cards you're not even allowed to play unsleeved, and then sleeved, you either need to finger your sleeves to play it or use proxies or get a backup copy sleeved the other way in waiting. Maybe if they didn't print cards on thick napkins, but they do so the less anyone touches a card the better.

It's eh to skip double faced cards now, most of the ones I've reluctantly put in decks I just never ever flip anyway, but a whole card mechanic being tied to Magic's cruelest trick sucks, of that's what they meant. Otherwise it's just a mild bummer that packs have some garbage in them but they always do so whatever.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

whydirt posted:

Source your quote

he's right, it's just another pile of extra cards you need to schlepp to your game

Lessons, Dungeons, Day/Night, Monarch, Initiative + 4 Undercities, and now Battles

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Battles go in your deck

e; unless you mean you're playing them unsleeved and they need a replacement card

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 21, 2023

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

If you wanna use an unsleeved DFC, they make checklist cards for that.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Khanstant posted:

I just really dislike cards you're not even allowed to play unsleeved, and then sleeved, you either need to finger your sleeves to play it or use proxies or get a backup copy sleeved the other way in waiting. Maybe if they didn't print cards on thick napkins, but they do so the less anyone touches a card the better.

It's eh to skip double faced cards now, most of the ones I've reluctantly put in decks I just never ever flip anyway, but a whole card mechanic being tied to Magic's cruelest trick sucks, of that's what they meant. Otherwise it's just a mild bummer that packs have some garbage in them but they always do so whatever.

DFCs are terrible. I print any DFCs I have like this.

But I usually do anything I can to exclude any DFCs from my decks. They only come in if they fit perfectly, and they are always the first to be cut.

In addition to all of your points, I also hate having to memorize what is on the back. I mean, I have an idea of what is on the back, but sometimes you like to have the exact text of the card in your hand available. Which I think is a reasonable desire considering the point of the existence of these objects is that they are pieces of paper designed to have readable text on them.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Cactrot posted:

If you wanna use an unsleeved DFC, they make checklist cards for that.

Yeah, but you have to memorize the card. The card is supposed to memorize the card.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
edit: nvm I'm dumb

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

The Human Crouton posted:

Yeah, but you have to memorize the card. The card is supposed to memorize the card.

You can put the placeholder in your deck, and have the flip card in a clear sleeve sitting where you can read it.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

The Human Crouton posted:

But I usually do anything I can to exclude any DFCs from my decks. They only come in if they fit perfectly, and they are always the first to be cut.

Yeah I'm the same way. I want to make innistrad jumpstart packs but I'm feeling at a loss for the Werewolf theme. Not to mention they are DFCs attached to the horrible day/night mechanic.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Right, there's a bunch of "solutions" that all introduce another thing I don't want to gently caress with just because they decided to make a card against their own rules and one way or the other you need a workaround. Notably, no other card design introduces this level of hassle just to play it in my deck.

They also already have several ways to achieve anything a double faced card can do, their biggest obstacles are self inflicted arbitrary restrictions. There's no law type can't stretch a little closer to the edges, there's no law art can't shrink, there's no law they need to write 14 lines cards where 10 of those lines are reminder text.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
dang they're showing some art from the Lord of the Rings set and it looks really great. LTR coming to Arena on 6/20 and prerelease 6/16

and it won't be some dumb alchemized version of the cards!!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Went to my first RCQ over the weekend! I asked another FNM regular if he'd be there, and I didn't really understand the disdain in his voice for "competitive magic."

Now I do! I was doing a Sealed event, my first at REL1. The process to open packs while watching, then recording all the cards opened, then registering the first deck... I understand why it has to be done, because someone would cheat otherwise, still somewhat nerve-wracking and took up the better part of an hour. I was expecting to get trounced, but with a friend playing with me I thought one of us would be lucky enough to land in the top 8 for the draft.

Event was for 32, 27 actually showed up. Almost everyone I interacted with was talented, knowledgeable, and just wanted to play good clean magic. It was a new store for me, just a short drive away. The exception to the talented folks who just wanted to play good clean magic was someone who'd flown in for the event. My friend played against him first and found his style kind of rude and sloppy. The gambler missed a "beginning of combat" trigger just reaching out for creatures and tapping them, which caused some harsh words and bad blood. 30 minutes later, at the end of the 5 bonus turns, my friend was at 1 life. Gambler wanted him to concede and give him the win, because obviously he needed all the points to make the top 8 and clinch this event. My buddy stood firm, partly due to the earlier ugliness of the missed trigger, and recorded the game as a draw.

So that guy was super titled coming into his match with me. That was my only win for the day, aided by him angrily describing his mis-plays out loud (instead of the usual stuff like "Go to combat?"). Anyway, I met a lot of nice folks, made a trade for a card that I've been wanting, and overall impressed with the community.

I'm glad I saw what the competitive scene is like. It's not quite what I want in an event, I was very happy to leave before my doomed match 5 and get back to my usual store for commander night to clear the palate.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Khanstant posted:

They also already have several ways to achieve anything a double faced card can do, their biggest obstacles are self inflicted arbitrary restrictions. There's no law type can't stretch a little closer to the edges, there's no law art can't shrink, there's no law they need to write 14 lines cards where 10 of those lines are reminder text.

I do kind of think the Year of DFCs was a little much, but I would take DFCs over the options you're proposing. Transforming cards are cool, and I can think of several cycles of cards where what's being suggested here would be significantly more of a pain of the rear end to keep track of if both sides were on the same card:

- Magic Origin's flip walkers
- Ixalan's flip lands
- Kamigawa's saga creatures

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

After almost two days without new spoilers, here's Commander Masters

"As a Masters set, Commander Masters is comprised of both reprints as well as new, powerful cards." - Masters sets have always been reprints only, this wording is misleading at best. Apparently the set itself is reprints only but the decks that come with the set will have new cards.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

As someone who has a Gruul Werewolf deck, I can tell you: the correct way to handle DFCs is to fumble with them as you struggle to get them out of their sleeves every time, apologize profusely to your opponent, and eventually watch as they concede because you’re taking too much time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Katana Gomai posted:

After almost two days without new spoilers, here's Commander Masters

"As a Masters set, Commander Masters is comprised of both reprints as well as new, powerful cards." - Masters sets have always been reprints only, this wording is misleading at best. Apparently the set itself is reprints only but the decks that come with the set will have new cards.

seems like they took down the page
edit:came back