Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I eventually got Vampire Survivors after people bigged it up in the sagas thread and it's about to become my first 100% completed game in years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I should get back into vampire survivors. I got too into monster hunter rise at the time. Now I'm waiting for the final update to wrap it up. In the meantime it's Ishin. Can probably squeeze in a vs sesh at some point.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and kind of going back and forth about whether I should have just skipped ahead to 3. I think I need to just stop comparing it to other games and enjoy it for what it is though. The end of chapter 3 was cool so hopefully it'll keep some of that momentum going.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and kind of going back and forth about whether I should have just skipped ahead to 3. I think I need to just stop comparing it to other games and enjoy it for what it is though. The end of chapter 3 was cool so hopefully it'll keep some of that momentum going.

I binged all three games in row a couple months ago and 2 definitely has the weakest start and my least favorite overall. It does eventually get noticeably better but you have to put up with like 40 hours of kruft and unlikeable characters to get there, which is bad imo. And if you're just finishing chapter 3, you're still in kruft mode.

That said you're close enough to the game getting good to power through I'd say. Starting about chapter 5 everything finally gets interesting iirc, and the gameplay opens up a lot since you'll get better party members that have more access to combo moves and poo poo. Then you can play 3 and marvel at a game that doesn't take 40 hours to get good :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I made the mistake of playing 2 before 3 and conked out in the middle of 3 after like 100 hours of xenoblade combined.

I liked 2 more though.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I made the mistake of playing 2 before 3 and conked out in the middle of 3 after like 100 hours of xenoblade combined.

I liked 2 more though.

freak

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

nah if you're into the crunchier parts of xenoblade I think it's valid to like 2 more, seems like it has the most fleshed out combat - 3 loses a bit of that because there's six party members and its chaotic as poo poo a lot of the time

if you like 2 more for the writing tho then I too will be forced to call you a freak

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
yeah I'll give it to the combat - torna especially is the best combat in the series

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2 had a slightly less lovely loot system because I could at least get excited when a rare core crystal dropped or something.

3's loot is so bad.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

nevermind they were excited about the gacha crystals they a freak

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Xenoblade 2 kicks rear end and Torna is incredible. I've been very slowly going through the first game and it's good but doesn't hit me the same way. I want to beat it before I play 3 though

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Torna was real good tho I can't even front. Like if Xenoblade 2 had been Torna quality the entire way through, there would be no question about which was the best.

Sadly, we got Rex instead.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

MarcusSA posted:

What game are you currently playing?

I'm gonna do another round of Vampire Survivors then play some Destiny 2

Fortnite and some other games

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rex's costume might be the single worst protagonist costume I can think of.

Even if I end up absolutely loving this game by the end, I'm probably not touching 3 until next year just to space it out a bit.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't even mind Rex's costume, that's how hosed up I am.

There's this one chapter of XC2 that everyone hates which pivots hard between slapstick comedy and big emotional drama and I absolutely love it when RPGs do that poo poo. That poo poo was why FF7 owned so much.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Rex's costume might be the single worst protagonist costume I can think of.

Even if I end up absolutely loving this game by the end, I'm probably not touching 3 until next year just to space it out a bit.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I should add that when Xenoblade 2 does get good imo it gets really good so yeah soldier on through the part you're at and get to the fun stuff

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

you know I never noticed the heels before

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

I'm seein double here... four Dr. Cool AIDS!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah the games always land the big cinematic climax moments, even if you hate the comedy in 2

before i stopped playing 3 i got to the big midgame climax which was like 90 minutes of cutscene which sounds horrible but the series is so good at doing big climactic cutscenes and boss fights that it owned

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

recently got back into Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and I think I like it a lot more then Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. even with the weird potato faces and robot NPCs I found myself getting immersed in the world. running across a lonely imperial patrol at night backlit by the White-Gold Tower...really drat cool.

e. also love that there are hundreds of NPCs who serve absolutely no story or gameplay purpose...they are just vibing telling you how much they like money and buying things and that's it.

Famethrowa has a new favorite as of 16:54 on Feb 21, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

recently got back into Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and I think I like it a lot more then Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. even with the weird potato faces and robot NPCs I found myself getting immersed in the world. running across a lonely imperial patrol at night backlit by the White-Gold Tower...really drat cool.

I really wish they would have ported over the Xbox controller suppprt for the PC version. I realize you Can mod it in and it “works” but I would much rather have the native support. I really want to play it on my steam deck but the controls really don’t feel that great to me.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

tried to figure out what the chain was for and realized the sword is glass or somethin, which reminded me of the weird RPG dungeon mode in Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring. Pretty sure that was real? You could get glass weapons that broke in two hits

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I really wish they would have ported over the Xbox controller suppprt for the PC version. I realize you Can mod it in and it “works” but I would much rather have the native support. I really want to play it on my steam deck but the controls really don’t feel that great to me.

it is insanely clunky even on the ultimate edition. victim of the console port wars of 2006.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Skypie posted:

Yeah but all my unlocks are on Steam and I don't wanna do it again
I transfered a xbox savefile to my android phone and I guess that should work with steam too. I assume you can find the steam savefile on your own? Copy it, rename it to "SaveDataUnity.sav", send it to your phone, use a file manager to put it into phone/Android/data/com.poncle.vampiresurvivors/files/

Edit: Gonna play some Wasteland3 and Atomic Heart today. This is on the xbox-trial for 1€ a month so I hope I'm okay.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RabbitWizard posted:

I transfered a xbox savefile to my android phone and I guess that should work with steam too. I assume you can find the steam savefile on your own? Copy it, rename it to "SaveDataUnity.sav", send it to your phone, use a file manager to put it into phone/Android/data/com.poncle.vampiresurvivors/files/

Edit: Gonna play some Wasteland3 and Atomic Heart today. This is on the xbox-trial for 1€ a month so I hope I'm okay.

The steam version doesn’t use unity yet so I’m like 99% sure the save wouldn’t transfer. They are working on the Pc version converting to unity though.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

this is what the libs want your children to dress like at the drag brunch storytime

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Whoa, just imagine the size of the pizza that sword could cut...

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Tarnop posted:

I eventually got Vampire Survivors after people bigged it up in the sagas thread and it's about to become my first 100% completed game in years

VSurv is by far the most fun you can have for under ten dollars including a pack of condoms.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Wormskull posted:

VSurv is by far the most fun you can have for under ten dollars including a pack of condoms.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

i keep bouncing off of the grind/gatcha bullshit in XC2, tbh.

what do people think about octopath 2?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I should really play the Octopath games

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

NoiseAnnoys posted:

i keep bouncing off of the grind/gatcha bullshit in XC2, tbh.

Yeah I really don't get why the gacha stuff is in the game. Like I know why gacha exists in f2p games, but it's not monetized here, so it feels like something transplanted from a worse game without a good reason. I don't know if it was a test case for future monetization or just something they genuinely thought sounded fun, but either way I'm pretty committed to not letting it warp my experience with the game. I'll pull when I have cores and otherwise just try to forget about it. If there are some cool blades I don't get because of that, oh well.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The correct way to handle it is pretty much that, just don't worry about collecting every blade in the game.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The correct way to handle it is pretty much that, just don't worry about collecting every blade in the game.

yeah, it's just lame because all the cool blades with useful skills are rare blades and also you get so many dumb useless cores that you spend like half your time dismissing your useless generiblades.

lots of cool parts of the game, i just get to like cloud vatican on a diplodocus and figure i should play something else.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Been playing Fallout 4 with the Horizon 1.9 alpha, armour has been rebalanced entirely from 1.8 (which was already rebalanced entirely from vanilla) so it's super satisfying when some idiot in rusty plate drops from three rounds in the gut, and super upsetting when Big Fucker in thick steel shows up and your bullets just bounce off him and he's reALLY FAST JESUS

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I have a hangover that's lasted into the afternoon and I'm probably gonna play more Fire Emblem this evening.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Posting this here for visibility

The Saddest Rhino posted:

For now, please feel free to use the PYF CHAT THREAD to hang out, but it comes with a huge caveat that it shouldn’t involve discussions of drama or other goons being extremely weird in other spots. I’ll personally moderate that thread for now.

Lets just keep this chill and good.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

let's kill rhino and grind up his horn to gain sexual potency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I learned that you shouldn't buy chili cheese fries from the banging teriyaki place because they won't be good.