Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bradshaw in no mercy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lunatic Sledge posted:

which wrestlers do you think are the most hypothetically fun to play in video games, like on paper

does that question make sense

like Rey Mysterio is very colorful, has a diverse and wide variety of costumes and has a dynamic, arcadey moveset, while Bryan Danielson is cool but a child would probably not pick him first

some wrestlers just have moves you would play the whole character for when you were 12, like The People's Elbow or any nutshot in WCW vs NWO Revenge (I think that's the one where it makes a bell ringing sound)

there's probably some wrestlers that should be fun but have never met their full potential in a real game due to hardware limitations or bad timing or whatever

On paper? Going purely off aesthetics, La Parka/LA Park. He's a mother loving skeleton & does crazy lucha poo poo. That was certainly my thought process in the N64 WCW games.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

which wrestlers do you think are the most hypothetically fun to play in video games, like on paper

does that question make sense

like Rey Mysterio is very colorful, has a diverse and wide variety of costumes and has a dynamic, arcadey moveset, while Bryan Danielson is cool but a child would probably not pick him first

some wrestlers just have moves you would play the whole character for when you were 12, like The People's Elbow or any nutshot in WCW vs NWO Revenge (I think that's the one where it makes a bell ringing sound)

there's probably some wrestlers that should be fun but have never met their full potential in a real game due to hardware limitations or bad timing or whatever

In fire pro especially its great fun to play as monsters like Vader or Hansen, go into a battle royal and just start killing anything that moves

Sometimes for fun I'll challenge myself to see if I can eliminate everyone via critical/KO which is very possible, especially with Hansen because his lariat is easy to do

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

More wrestlers should do the thigh slap on a big boot. I was always trying to finish matches with Test's in No Mercy.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Angle, Benoit, RVD, HBK, The Four Pillars especially Kobashi, Taz, and AJ Styles seem to be fun in every game series you drop them into. Technicians and Suplex Machines seem to be the most fun. Maybe that's why so many 'OC Do Not Steal' CAWS seem to follow those templates.

But yeah, some games fail to capture the essence of a wrestler so some can make a wrestler seem way worse or way cooler than they actually are.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 19, 2023

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Double post, sorry guys.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

CarlCX posted:

Perry Saturn looked cool, had a Lenny Kravitz knockoff for a theme, and could do a bunch of suplexes, a powerbomb, a death valley driver, a top rope brainbuster and a mortal kombat legsweep.

this is the solution

brawlers with cool taunts are also an acceptable answer.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dishwasher posted:

Angle, Benoit, RVD, HBK, The Four Pillars especially Kobashi, Taz, and AJ Styles seem to be fun in every game series you drop them into. Technicians and Suplex Machines seem to be the most fun. Maybe that's why so many 'OC Do Not Steal' CAWS seem to follow those templates.

It's this but any move that involves a headdrop for my CAWs. "Ah, sure, ganso bomb as a transistional move"

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Undertaker is always fun because he's usually an absurd powerhouse who takes forever to keep down.

And luchadores/cruiserweights are fun because they usually have all the cool diving and flipping moves and thus can do the best (aka stupidest/most dangerous) spots you can come up with.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

WCW Revenge/WWF NO Mercy got me into wrestling and what I remember from picking characters in those games were always the brightest/colorful characters. Like the wrestlers that may as well be action figures. So, the likes of Rey Mysterio, La Parka, and Psychosis were always great. Kurt Angle was appealing too because he had that bright red white and blue outfit. Essa Rios also sticks in my mind just because of his All Red Everything outfit lol.

I didn’t know jack about wrestling moves back then so movesets didn’t matter as much to me as what the wrestler looked like.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Revenge Booker T is one of my favorite characters in a wrestling game ever. Just all high impact moves.

Unrelated: I wish we would have gotten prime Lesnar in an Aki game

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

ACAB but I've always consistently liked playing as Big Boss Man whenever he's available in a game. He can move despite his size and has a pretty dope moveset. He's lowkey the best in the Wrestlefest arcade game too.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Scott Steiner was a lot of fun in AKI games since he had cool suplexes, the hurricn...errr FRANKENSTEINER, and then also had a couple of good ground submissions like the STF. I'll say that dudes like Sabu and Van Dam didn't translate well to videogames at all and despite being big fans of them, I never liked them in games.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
I loved using DDP and Raven because I liked to KO people with their finishers.

I also remember playing as Mortis a lot.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've been playing wrestling games since the NES. I remember sitting on Santa's lap and asking for a wrestling game with a Ladder Match.

I don't even remember all the wrestling games I played as a kid. I really wanna try and remember this one Sega Genesis game I had which I remember mainly because it had the wrestlers' theme songs. You'd pick a wrestler and a pic of them would come up on a "TV screen" and you'd hear their music. I loved that.

Anyway, WCW/nWo Revenge, I played as Bischoff a lot because it was cool to just use karate to kick rear end. No Mercy was obviously the best wrestling game in that style, though. By miles and miles.

Also Shut Your Mouth is the best wrestling game ever because its create a wrestler storyline was HUGE and had a lot of variety, too.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't even remember all the wrestling games I played as a kid. I really wanna try and remember this one Sega Genesis game I had which I remember mainly because it had the wrestlers' theme songs. You'd pick a wrestler and a pic of them would come up on a "TV screen" and you'd hear their music. I loved that.

probably WWF RAW

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

NikkolasKing posted:

WWF Super WrestleMania was on both the Genesis and Super Nintendo and it did that, so that might be it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

RAW was the one that had the tv screens in particular. it was built on the Super Wrestlemania engine, and was the third game in the 'series' after WWF Royal Rumble. those games weren't any good but they were extremely good if you know what i mean. knocking out the ref, using chairs, being able to do a royal rumble, theme songs. it was pretty big shtuff. It was big schtuff

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

finishers for everyone after you wore down your opponent enough. sort of impressive animation frames even though they weren't in hindsight. i remember enjoying to watch dropkicks and running the ropes for no reason, or running the ropes to knock over the referee and laughing at his migraines that he would complain about. oh my head!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i always played as the Blue Meanie because his taunts annoyed my friends the most

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
If your roster of the AKI games wasn't almost completely replaced by teachers at your school, you and your friend's pet custom wrestlers and various other people you knew I don't even know what game you were playing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cavauro posted:

RAW was the one that had the tv screens in particular. it was built on the Super Wrestlemania engine, and was the third game in the 'series' after WWF Royal Rumble. those games weren't any good but they were extremely good if you know what i mean. knocking out the ref, using chairs, being able to do a royal rumble, theme songs. it was pretty big shtuff. It was big schtuff

Yeah it was Raw and now you bring it up, I do remember knocking out the ref. That was a lot of fun.

Also Luna Vachon is the one playable female. That's...an interesting choice.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

i always played as the Blue Meanie because his taunts annoyed my friends the most

Same but with Billy Gunn

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

jesus WEP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDFpxCUHbH8

phillock88
Jun 12, 2013

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

If your roster of the AKI games wasn't almost completely replaced by teachers at your school, you and your friend's pet custom wrestlers and various other people you knew I don't even know what game you were playing.

Reminds me of when me and my friends made our primary school teacher and gave him Shawn Micheals entrance and music in Smackdown : Shut Your Mouth! (Or HCTP?) Cried laughing every time!

Playing as Tazz in Smackdown 2 or No Mercy is the REAL Suplex City.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

I made all my friends in a Smackdown game and would have friend Royal Rumbles. I made my high school English teacher and would treat it like Stone Cole running in.

Now I don't have enough friends for even a six man :(

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Cavauro posted:

I remember playing this game a ton as a kid and even then I thought it was weird that everyone has the same sprite just with different clothes and hair.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M539ZFng5s0

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

phillock88 posted:

Reminds me of when me and my friends made our primary school teacher and gave him Shawn Micheals entrance and music in Smackdown : Shut Your Mouth! (Or HCTP?) Cried laughing every time!

We had one teacher who walked almost like a strut so we gave him the women's walk and couldn't stop laughing every time he came out. There was another that was rumored to have injured/killed someone in a judo match or something so of course he was a submission expert wearing a gi.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I've been playing wrestling games since the NES. I remember sitting on Santa's lap and asking for a wrestling game with a Ladder Match.

Anyway, WCW/nWo Revenge, I played as Bischoff a lot because it was cool to just use karate to kick rear end. No Mercy was obviously the best wrestling game in that style, though. By miles and miles.

Also Shut Your Mouth is the best wrestling game ever because its create a wrestler storyline was HUGE and had a lot of variety, too.

Might have been Rage in the Cage for Sega CD, which also had pre recorded poo poo talk for each wrestler, Savage had a really funny one

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

phillock88 posted:

Back in high school, I took a class of Physics and Tech with two teachers and me and a friend decided to make CAWs of them in Attitude, record a match between them, and bring the VHS to class. They thought it was the funniest poo poo ever and to this day, when one of the teachers runs into my parents, he admits that he's still bitter that I had him lose.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

EdsTeioh posted:

Scott Steiner was a lot of fun in AKI games since he had cool suplexes, the hurricn...errr FRANKENSTEINER, and then also had a couple of good ground submissions like the STF. I'll say that dudes like Sabu and Van Dam didn't translate well to videogames at all and despite being big fans of them, I never liked them in games.

The Steiner Screwdriver was a loving killer. Sometimes you would bust them open, get the neck break sound effect and knock them out to win the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a-2PSIrODg

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

:same: but my second favorite is the new one they just did where they made Poipl DaClown and he died within 13 weeks from a groin injury suffered in a match where, earlier on in the match, he'd hit his opponent Hillbilly Jim in the dick 17 different times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jHcubkbPUQ here are the highlights

:smith:. Poor Poipl, a perfect example of our broken American healthcare system. And people watching him poop.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Shard posted:

The Steiner Screwdriver was a loving killer. Sometimes you would bust them open, get the neck break sound effect and knock them out to win the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a-2PSIrODg

Man that move was SO brutal in the game too. It was also a pretty quick finisher, so you could usually get 2 of them off when you had your special. I remember everyone wanting the Takaiwa multiple powerbombs into Death Valley Driver combo but that move ate up your entire special! Burning lariat was the pro move!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i used a full nelson suplex into 2 deadlift germans for my no mercy finishing sequence. 3 neck cranks were good too.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

those neck cranks were the best. Also in wcw vs nwo you could rip people's masks off doing the face rake submission a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pej86Z-O2Ug

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Whoa, that’s cool as hell

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Shard posted:

those neck cranks were the best. Also in wcw vs nwo you could rip people's masks off doing the face rake submission a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pej86Z-O2Ug

I love that they get a special as soon as their mask is ripped off. That’s cool as hell and not a thing I remembered about this game.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Fun Fact: If you do that move using Great Muta against Jushin Liger in VPW2, Liger has his Kishin Liger face paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I did this poo poo all the time to my cousins who loved the luchadores and I was like lol gonna gently caress up your mask