Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ShakeZula posted:

I'm skeptical that there's going to be that much activity past the point where Young and Stroud are off the board. Like, are the Panthers going to pay what it takes to move up to 3 just to snipe Will Levis?

I imagine if their attempts yo move up fail they just bring back darnold.

But who knows Levis might just blow them away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I wonder if the Lions would consider Stroud or Young if some goofy poo poo happened with trades in the top 5 and one of them fell to 6th.

On one hand, they desperately need to focus on defense in free agency and the draft, but on the other hand, would they be picking top 10 again in the next few years with the chance to grab a top QB prospect?

I'd be okay with them grabbing someone and then letting him sit behind Goff for a season or two.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This is year three for Campbell.

Gotta think the lions want at least a playoff birth this year and Goff absolutely played well enough to get them there last year. Lions just need to take the best defender available.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Stroud falling to Carolina at #9 is the slightly plausible scenario that basically every other QB-needy team should be going out of their way to try to prevent on draft day, imo

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

xbilkis posted:

Stroud falling to Carolina at #9 is the slightly plausible scenario that basically every other QB-needy team should be going out of their way to try to prevent on draft day, imo

I guess we will see how things look after the combine but I don’t think it’s even slightly plausible.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I guess we will see how things look after the combine but I don’t think it’s even slightly plausible.

I"m probably just mapping onto the 2021 draft too hard and seeing Wilson/Lance/Fields in Levis/Richardson/Stroud. Still, the fact that people are seemingly already willing to talk themselves into Richardson as a top-of-the-draft guy — and that Stroud's CFP performance wasn't enough to kill the spectre of scouting fatigue around him — makes me think anything is possible post-combine

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

xbilkis posted:

I"m probably just mapping onto the 2021 draft too hard and seeing Wilson/Lance/Fields in Levis/Richardson/Stroud. Still, the fact that people are seemingly already willing to talk themselves into Richardson as a top-of-the-draft guy — and that Stroud's CFP performance wasn't enough to kill the spectre of scouting fatigue around him — makes me think anything is possible post-combine

I think you’re making a mistake in assuming Young is a clear #1. His size is going to be a concern for some teams. Any of Stroud, Levis or Young could end up being the first QB taken and I think Stroud had a good shot at it.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

FizFashizzle posted:

This is year three for Campbell.

Gotta think the lions want at least a playoff birth this year and Goff absolutely played well enough to get them there last year. Lions just need to take the best defender available.

It’s an interesting situation. Picking QB Richardson seems too high but also there’s a clear drop in quality of the defensive players available. I guess they’d be pretty happy with Wilson or Murphy. Maybe CB Gonzales has a spectacular combine and becomes worthy of the sixth overall.

DB seems like a bigger need than DE.

Still, if the lions could trade down to like 12, I’d be tempted to grab Richardson and let him sit behind Goff. Ostensibly Detroit would still have 3 more picks in the top 50 to go ham on defense.

Idk, maybe I’m just too risk averse when it comes to leaving potential franchise qbs on the board. It’s hard to get picks high enough to get a good qb.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

It’s an interesting situation. Picking QB Richardson seems too high but also there’s a clear drop in quality of the defensive players available. I guess they’d be pretty happy with Wilson or Murphy. Maybe CB Gonzales has a spectacular combine and becomes worthy of the sixth overall.

DB seems like a bigger need than DE.

Still, if the lions could trade down to like 12, I’d be tempted to grab Richardson and let him sit behind Goff. Ostensibly Detroit would still have 3 more picks in the top 50 to go ham on defense.

Idk, maybe I’m just too risk averse when it comes to leaving potential franchise qbs on the board. It’s hard to get picks high enough to get a good qb.

I think this is why there's scuttlebutt that the Panthers will throw the loving house at a trade if they end up high enough on Stroud, Young or Levis. Levis I know the least about of the top 4 and have seen the least breakdown and analysis of which I'll try and rectify but with the division on its rear end the Panthers even if they trotted Darnold out again next year have too good offensive line and backfield to finish in the top 3 a year from now and they've watched two or three guys they were interested in slip through their fingers in recent years.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them want to trade with Seattle, Chicago or Arizona to get one of the guys available and I'd be shocked at this point to see them stand pat and not make some kind of move. I could definitely see Indy jumping up to one to take Stroud/Young, Texans taking whoevers left and then the 3rd guy going off shortly after. I even wouldn't rule out Richardson at this point and using Darnold as a bridge for a year. Given the staff they've assembled, McCown isn't super well known in terms of what he offers as a coach but if scouting circles are higher than us pundits... Caldwell and Reich and a year or 10 games or 12 games on the bench with the offensive line the Panthers have is probably one of the better chances he has to succeed.

Of course though, if the Panthers pick up Carr in the interim poo poo gets interesting with their pick kinda quick because you'd have to just say gently caress it and take the best offensive weapons you can with the next three picks and then just get big fat space eaters to sure up the run defense.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

When'd the draft logic be to not improve your roster

I get it you want higher picks but holy gently caress I don't want to watch them anymore. I'm already enough of a loving sicko to watch every Cardinals game. If they have the chance to take the best player on the board and don't to get anything less than an additional first, it'll kill what little fan support they have.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

I imagine if their attempts yo move up fail they just bring back darnold.

But who knows Levis might just blow them away.
I think even if the Panthers draft someone high, they'll still look to bring back Darnold in a bridge capacity. He and Josh McCown were very close.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

I think even if the Panthers draft someone high, they'll still look to bring back Darnold in a bridge capacity. He and Josh McCown were very close.

Oh I agree. They’d just change from darnold being a one year rental (hopefully) to like darnold being a three year tannehill type for foreman? I guess?

Poor DJ tho.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Forrest on Fire posted:

I get it you want higher picks but holy gently caress I don't want to watch them anymore. I'm already enough of a loving sicko to watch every Cardinals game. If they have the chance to take the best player on the board and don't to get anything less than an additional first, it'll kill what little fan support they have.

The fastest way to improve your roster is multiple top 100 picks across multiple years. One player is unlikely to turn your team around, no matter how good. All picks are a crapshoot, so getting as many as possible is important.

I think with all the teams that need quarterbacks and how few there are out there, we will see three quarterbacks go in the top five. Last year was the outlier class. Levis has athleticism and someone is gonna talk themselves into him. Teams know they only have two years before they are on the hot seat if they are lucky. They don't have the time to be patient.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I want stroud for seattle so bad

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ShakeZula posted:

I'm skeptical that there's going to be that much activity past the point where Young and Stroud are off the board. Like, are the Panthers going to pay what it takes to move up to 3 just to snipe Will Levis?

I'd say at this moment it's more like are people going to move up for Stroud or Young after Levis is off the board.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Forrest on Fire posted:

There's a term for the paradox that I cant remember that is based off the concept of, if you had to travel less than a mile you'll walk it, but anything more and you'd drive it. Which equates to - you can be in a situation where you're bad, but not dire so you kind of stick it out, hoping for an improvement. See: Matt Rhule and the Panthers or think about 90% of us in our day jobs, you might actually be better off in the long term to be in the Urban Meyer situation where its so bad you have to close off that area immediately and make a move forward.

NFL teams often get stuck in that purgatory and I think the Cardinals roster is in that place right now. Too many vets under performing and not enough guys coming through but overall there's enough to fool you into thinking the team might compete with the right breaks. They need to massively overhaul that roster and it would be - at least in my opinion a mistake not to swallow the bitter pill now and trade back and get the best haul you can, to get the most chances at getting quality players while you cut bait on bad contracts than falling into that trap of thinking one highly touted rookie taken high is going to turn around the franchise.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

BlindSite posted:

There's a term for the paradox that I cant remember that is based off the concept of, if you had to travel less than a mile you'll walk it, but anything more and you'd drive it. Which equates to - you can be in a situation where you're bad, but not dire so you kind of stick it out, hoping for an improvement. See: Matt Rhule and the Panthers or think about 90% of us in our day jobs, you might actually be better off in the long term to be in the Urban Meyer situation where its so bad you have to close off that area immediately and make a move forward.

NFL teams often get stuck in that purgatory and I think the Cardinals roster is in that place right now. Too many vets under performing and not enough guys coming through but overall there's enough to fool you into thinking the team might compete with the right breaks. They need to massively overhaul that roster and it would be - at least in my opinion a mistake not to swallow the bitter pill now and trade back and get the best haul you can, to get the most chances at getting quality players while you cut bait on bad contracts than falling into that trap of thinking one highly touted rookie taken high is going to turn around the franchise.

This is why I am so optimistic about the Bears. They went scorched earth with that roster

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I want stroud for seattle so bad

Bailing on Geno already? Around week 7 or so people were convinced he was going to be MVP

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

kiimo posted:

Bailing on Geno already? Around week 7 or so people were convinced he was going to be MVP

People just said that to poke fun at Russ, nobody was serious about it. But he, and the Hawks offense, also lost steam at the end of the year.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Nobody honestly thinks Geno is the long term answer at QB, but the arguments are whether they should grab a QB now to potentially be the long term answer and learn behind Geno for a year or two or go all in on other team needs.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

kiimo posted:

It's this

Lifespan posted:

Nobody honestly thinks Geno is the long term answer at QB, but the arguments are whether they should grab a QB now to potentially be the long term answer and learn behind Geno for a year or two or go all in on other team needs.

and this

YOLOsubmarine posted:

People just said that to poke fun at Russ, nobody was serious about it. But he, and the Hawks offense, also lost steam at the end of the year.

and it was a ton of fun to poo poo post as loudly as possible about PFF #1 QB GENO SMITH while it lasted.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Even if you believe in him, he is 32 so he has a limited shelf life.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sataere posted:

Even if you believe in him, he is 32 so he has a limited shelf life.

He's a low-mileage 32 though!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Henchman of Santa posted:

He's a low-mileage 32 though!

I'm not saying I believe it, just that it is a reason that has been bandied about. If I'm the Seahawks, I build the gently caress out of that defense because I think Geno is good enough to win with in the next few years if you put a good team around him. If it doesn't work out, you'll have a chance to draft someone in a couple of years.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Sataere posted:

I'm not saying I believe it, just that it is a reason that has been bandied about. If I'm the Seahawks, I build the gently caress out of that defense because I think Geno is good enough to win with in the next few years if you put a good team around him. If it doesn't work out, you'll have a chance to draft someone in a couple of years.

I posted it elsewhere but Geno’s high level statistical production this season is largely a mirage. Hawks played the 4th easiest schedule and their games against better teams usually involved some weird luck or injury.

I’m not saying he’s trash - obviously it’s still impressive to put up the stats that he did - but if you didn’t watch hawks games then that statistical production makes it seem like he’s better than he is.

I also think the hawks are more than one offseason away from contending unless somehow the 2023 draft class is another all-timer.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I thin the Seahawks are in a position where I probably draft like one of the Toolsy QB's, maybe Hendon Hooker in the second or third.

And let him sit behind Geno for at least a year or two

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Dexo posted:

I thin the Seahawks are in a position where I probably draft like one of the Toolsy QB's, maybe Hendon Hooker in the second or third.

This dude isn’t going to be starting til he’s 27?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Dexo posted:

That's my opinion too. Use that 5 or even trade down a few steps if anyone makes a good offer and get one of the excellent DL or EDGE candidates that will be immediate starters and use the 20 or one of the 2 early seconds to get the best QB that is coming from a lesser conference or had limited play time. They are so draft rich this season it is worth a QB gamble but I don't think they will have access to a top 3 QB prospect at 5 this year and should go with a top 2 defender instead.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

The Big Jesus posted:

So as a rookie?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lifespan posted:

That's my opinion too. Use that 5 or even trade down a few steps if anyone makes a good offer and get one of the excellent DL or EDGE candidates that will be immediate starters and use the 20 or one of the 2 early seconds to get the best QB that is coming from a lesser conference or had limited play time. They are so draft rich this season it is worth a QB gamble but I don't think they will have access to a top 3 QB prospect at 5 this year and should go with a top 2 defender instead.

I like the jist of your approach but I don't think Anthony Richardson will be available at 20 and none of the other QBs seem like investing a top 64 pick on.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

I like the jist of your approach but I don't think Anthony Richardson will be available at 20 and none of the other QBs seem like investing a top 64 pick on.

Lmao at whatever dumbass team drafts Richardson in the first.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Lmao at whatever dumbass team drafts Richardson in the first.

I’m quoting this so that I can mock you when Richardson has his pro bowl season (when he’s 31).

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Big Jesus posted:

I don’t think this is a big deal. He’d be a 2nd rounder probably and if he hits (20-30% chance?) he’d be up for a new contract when he’s 29? That’s fine.

Like 1% of QB play for a team for 10+ years.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1627936320030138369

I don't play in the league where anyone would ever give a poo poo about my opinions, but remembering that I kinda liked Zach Wilson as a prospect. That BYU offense was so fun, he really looked like he could make all the throws at least well enough and wasn't obviously an idiot.

...and we end up with this.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

If the Jets didn’t take Wilson, he was going to the Niners. Howie Roseman wanted to trade up with Miami for him with Jalen Hurts on the roster but instead traded back when knew Zach would be off the board.

Even the genius GMs don’t know poo poo about QB development half the time.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Diva Cupcake posted:

If the Jets didn’t take Wilson, he was going to the Niners. Howie Roseman wanted to trade up with Miami for him with Jalen Hurts on the roster but instead traded back when knew Zach would be off the board.

Even the genius GMs don’t know poo poo about QB development half the time.

Counterpoint: he woulda been awesome on the niners (and poo poo prob the eagles too)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Grittybeard posted:

I don't play in the league where anyone would ever give a poo poo about my opinions, but remembering that I kinda liked Zach Wilson as a prospect. That BYU offense was so fun, he really looked like he could make all the throws at least well enough and wasn't obviously an idiot.

What's not mentioned is that Wilson constantly had some of the cleanest pockets you will see at any level of football

Surprisingly, that didn't translate

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grittybeard posted:

Not many of those claims are far off. BYU's system in Wilson's last year was fast decision making with blockers down field. Everyone bought into blocking and it produced huge YAC when Wilson had to decide between under and over routes. He has an incredible arm and can make all the throws. He just plain can't handle NFL pressure. He also does just toss it deep more than Rex Grossman ever did. It's really hard to anticipate QB success.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

I’m quoting this so that I can mock you when Richardson has his pro bowl season (when he’s 31).

Please do. Richardson being good would be extraordinary. Has any QB been as bad in college (at a good/elite program) and then gone on to be an actual good qb? It feels basically unheard of for the modern NFL, I’d be floored if he was anything but a shittier version of what Fields could this year as his absolute ceiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Dude’s career NCAA pass completion percentage is 54.7%. In a grand total of 13 games started. And I keep hearing “He’s not gonna make it out of the top 15!”.

Like, what?