Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lid posted:

Sami Zayn, truly the Chris Sabin of wrestling.
Bully Ray's long and unstoppable reign as TNA champion was 130 days, which encompassed beating Jeff Hardy, beating Jeff Hardy in a rematch, and then beating Sting.

Then he lost the belt to Chris Sabin on one PPV, and won it back at the next PPV.

Then he held it for another 66 days before dropping the belt to AJ Styles at Bound for Glory 2013.

If he had not dropped the belt to Chris Sabin, he would have held the belt for 224 days.

Also the big triumphant AJ Styles TNA championship reign that came after defeating Bully Ray and finally vanquishing Aces & Eights? The next week he came out and said he was no longer under contract to TNA and vacated the title.

Magnus (Nick Aldis) won the vacant title and pretty much immediately joined Dixieland, the new dominant heel faction. AJ Styles came back a few months later to lose to Magnus after interference from EC3, Rockstar Spud, The Bromans, Daniels & Kazarian, Zema Ion, Bobby Roode, and Dixie Carter and never wrestled for TNA/Impact again.

So what that post seems to be saying is that Sami needed to lose to make Cody's walking out of WWE on the Raw after Wrestlemania, his vacating the title, Austin Theory's undeserved push to the world title, and Cody's eventual takeover of the Bullet Club has a proper payoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I interpreted it as body shaming, but racism is probably there too, yeah

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's because Willow is big and did one table spot that could have gone badly, so now she's a botch machine.

(Anna didn't hurt herself, but on Renee's podcast Willow seemed to be pretty hard on herself for not doing it more safely)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Coolness Averted posted:

back to mean spirited dumbasses
yes, a young incredibly popular midcard face is identical to an old hand who has only had go away heat for years, notorious for injuring her coworkers.

Nia and Willow have been wrestling for roughly the same amount of time so I dunno if I'd call Nia an old hand in comparison to Willow.

Dude is still a dumbass though.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah Alfred good call, Omar famously died for a bigger payoff down the line. Not, you know, as a sad statement about how the cycle of violence will only beget more violence without any deeper meaning. The dude got shot by a loving 12 year old while buying smokes, for christ's sake. And the whole point of The Wire was that there is no huge payoff, because in the end you can't bring down the institutions and so things will just keep rolling like they have been, with the names and faces changing.

loving hell this motherfucker should just stick to talking about dope rear end charcuterie boards because that's more his level.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/PuroPodcast/status/1627987407105667074

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
dunno what that means but it's a UK wrestling opinion so it's bad

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

https://twitter.com/sandman_515/status/1627848606085439488?t=dsIz1ljorF4RzpTLf1iHRA&s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's good opinion that I share actually.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Makes sense that a bunch of British losers would also cheer for a loser like Kiyomiya

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The guy who runs this account supports Manchester City lmao

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What the gently caress is a European super league

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

History Comes Inside! posted:

What the gently caress is a European super league

Man City, Barca, Bayern, PSG etc telling their domestic leagues to do one and just playing each other all the time instead

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Rarity posted:

Man City, Barca, Bayern, PSG etc telling their domestic leagues to do one and just playing each other all the time instead

Bayern, PSG and City were the ones who explicitly didn't want this. It was the legacy clubs (Man United, AC Milan, Barca, Juventus) throwing a tantrum because their TV rights money was going to smaller clubs as it was divided fairly equally rather than just "the big clubs get more money regardless of how they perform". They wanted to create a closed league with no qualifying or promotion/relegation so smaller clubs can never threaten their stranglehold of the game

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The guy who runs this account supports Manchester City lmao

Fans of every club attached to the ESL concept opposed it though

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

I interpreted it as body shaming, but racism is probably there too, yeah

I've also seen people equate Nyla with Nia Jax. Apparently all big brown women look the same.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/118d13l/comment/j9gfwrf/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

quote:

This is mind boggling to read in the context of Dave skipping watching the event live. He's cosplaying the role of someone who was in that moment.

quote:

Agreed - it’s weird to see Dave talking about it like he was watching live when he was at the NJPW show that night.

quote:

Dave should have watched the live broadcast. I get that he lives in the area but he charges for his opinion and Chamber was the most important show that night.

quote:

I'm saying that if I wasn't experiencing a thing, I wouldn't write for a professional outlet like I did experience a thing. Same as how I wouldn't portray my enjoyment from watching on TV as being the same as being in the arena live. That would be very disingenuous, wouldn't it?

And I'm also saying that if I were going to be writing for a professional outlet explaining why something could have been amazing, I would have made the effort to experience the thing just in case it was.

WWE fans are so loving mad that Dave Meltzer was at the NJPW show instead of watching Elimination Chamber live lmao

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

JUNGLE BOY posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/118d13l/comment/j9gfwrf/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

WWE fans are so loving mad that Dave Meltzer was at the NJPW show instead of watching Elimination Chamber live lmao

Look at Meltzer over there cosplaying

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
The JFK assassination, the moon landing, 9-11, and now Elimination Chamber 2023. These are those special moments in time we will never forget where we were when they happened.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I was there when I saw Sami Zayne lost so make sure you bury me in my Tribal Chief shirt

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

JUNGLE BOY posted:

absolutely insane people

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Have to laugh that after all of the insane videos The Snob finally gets ganged up on for one of his mildest takes

https://twitter.com/ALeavelle/status/1628290551974862849

Which is made even funnier because he watches so much Japanese wrestling but that doesn't stop him from not liking multi man tags!

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

he's All Elite so now the paid mob can come after him

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MassRafTer posted:

Have to laugh that after all of the insane videos The Snob finally gets ganged up on for one of his mildest takes

Which is made even funnier because he watches so much Japanese wrestling but that doesn't stop him from not liking multi man tags!

When I first got into New Japan, I was exhausted by watching full G1 shows because the multimans were never super exciting or interesting but I was of the mindset of "gotta watch the whole show". I'm glad I learned that, oftentimes, those multiman matches can be skipped for a much more enjoyable experience.

They do serve a purpose, though, so it makes sense to get everyone on the show and have little stories woven in and out of the multiman matches which are pretty low-stakes physically.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MassRafTer posted:

I like solo tags

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
When I was watching new Japan a bunch I had a friend that skipped all the multiman openers and I called him a coward

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Malcolm Excellent posted:

When I was watching new Japan a bunch I had a friend that skipped all the multiman openers and I called him a coward

It is not cowardice to avoid having to see and hear Honma

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Cowardice is cool

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I dunno if Peacock does this but one thing the old WWE Network did was they would put little waypoints at the start and the final minute or so of each match. NJPW World should do that specifically for multi-mans.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The multimans exist for the live ticket-buying audience, the vast majority of whom aren't pure sickos watching every show on NJPW World. You give them enough Okada and Naito and they'll feel like they got their money's worth, even if those guys aren't doing much on the show.

People seem to forget that NJPW is still a house-show business at heart.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

CommonShore posted:

I like solo tags

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I-I like those big dumb multiperson matches and spectacle in ppvs. I also pretty consistently wind up liking one of the 6 person tags that goes on in an AEW dark show more than at least one of the tv matches every week.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/RealJackFarmer/status/1627350528400457728?t=7j20aCxqfqnwYIKnsZYoHQ&s=19

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Does he…does he think it’s real?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I wonder how many charcuterie boards that dude got sent

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I am so tired. I am so very very tired.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

When you present someone for a long time as the best and unbeatable a lot of folks will like them because they are the best and unbeatable.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Sounds like MJF just needs a 2 year title reign that drags down the whole product until the last 6 months where it finally becomes okay and then he is destined for Greatness On a Different Level Mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Roman's reign doesn't even come close to Kobashi or Okada's long reigns