Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/DeltyThe73rd/status/1626922298623266816?t=zJ1ugObKlrmadE_x_MKgMg&s=19

That's it for my wallet yall they're gonna make a Maxter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Don't be afraid to order something on HLJ if it's on backorder. I've had HLJ fulfill backorders without a single reprint coming through. Presumably they either found some stock somewhere or acquired it for a reasonable price from other vendors. I've got a HGUC Zee Zulu and a HG G-Bouncer while they were on backorder. Hell, I've had a 1/72 VF-19A SVF-440 Dullahan despite it being discontinued (it's now listed as backordered), though I'd assume that's because I had ordered it back when it was preordered.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argas posted:

Don't be afraid to order something on HLJ if it's on backorder. I've had HLJ fulfill backorders without a single reprint coming through. Presumably they either found some stock somewhere or acquired it for a reasonable price from other vendors. I've got a HGUC Zee Zulu and a HG G-Bouncer while they were on backorder. Hell, I've had a 1/72 VF-19A SVF-440 Dullahan despite it being discontinued (it's now listed as backordered), though I'd assume that's because I had ordered it back when it was preordered.

I had an order for a Nirvash Spec 2 kit sit on backorder (Just on the off-chance it came in) for yeaaars, until one day I received a payment notice for it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

god it looks so good. i passed on it but i know i'm gonna regret it once they reveal the rest of the shuffle alliance. those old kits were so bad though. i had the old no grade 1/144 rising gundam and even back then i knew it was dogshit, easily the worst kit i've ever built

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Nullkigan posted:

What's a brand of (not rattlecan) lacquer gloss? All I can find in local hobby shops and amazon are arcylic glosses, or furniture glosses in rattle cans, and most don't even say what type they are.

I had my first 'big' fuckup whilst airbrushing on my fourth kit. I didn't put a coat of gloss (vallejo mecha acrylic) on thick enough, so it's a bit uneven and flow type panel liners, uh, didn't flow. I ended up making a mess, and when I started to clean it up using cheap swabs made slightly damp from the nozzle of a spray-bottle of alcohol (99%, 91% is harder to get around here, as is lighter fluid) the gloss started to melt and go tacky. From a few angles there are now streaks visible in the finish. I did get lucky enough to avoid lifting the paint below, somehow.

As panel lining products tend to be enamels, I guess I probably want to consider use of a lacquer gloss so that clean-up products (whether alcohol or enamel thinner) have a harder time eating into it if I'm paranoid about a particular kit.

Whilst posting anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on better ways to clean panel lines than swabs? I go through a lot of them, and whilst they're cheap something with a tighter weave that I could potentially clean and re-use would be better. 'Gun cleaning swabs' don't really exist here, and if imported through amazon seem to be a LOT more expensive (10-20x) than you'd think.

(I did look at cuticle pushers, but the tips are solid rubber so alcohol or thinners just slide straight off)

Gunze/Mr. Hobby is the preferred option, but Tamiya, AK, and Alclad all make a perfectly serviceable lacquer varnish. I'm sure there's other brands out there, but your local hobby shop should be able to contact their vendors and ask for something if they don't have it on the shelves. If you go with Tamiya, make sure you check the bottle to ensure you're actually getting a lacquer. If you haven't internalized their naming system, it's really easy to pick up a bottle of acrylic when you wanted lacquer and vice-versa.

Gun-cleaning patches tend to be disposable anyway, so I'm not sure that'd help, even if they were readily available to you. If cotton swabs won't do it, there's always cotton balls, makeup sponges, or if you want something a little thicker, you can always use disposable shop towels, either in the whole sheet or torn up and pinched between some tweezers if you want a high-precision option.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shop towels are readily available, cheap, and have plenty of use outside of the hobby.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

RillAkBea posted:

The weird mid 90s ones don't "require" glue or paint but they absolutely definitely need it. Probably some seam filler too depending on how far out of spec they are. All that, some chiseling and sculpting here and there, and maybe some aftermarket joints and you'll have something close to a series HG from 10 years ago!

(They're bad :ssh:)

Sounds like exactly what I was looking for- thanks!

chiasaur11 posted:

If you're looking for a decent build from decades ago, I might recommend a F91 kit first. Bandai actually had things go downhill for a bit in the G through X era for high grades.

I'm not going to say the Heavy Gun is "still amazing today" or anything, but if you build it, it's surprisingly good for how old it is, while G's HG kits are... disappointing.

I'll keep an eye out for ones from this series as well for a... better example of old kits

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 19, 2023

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

IG-88 posted:

#7 - HG - The Witch from Mercury - Chuchu's Demi Trainer - 5063347

Well, never posted pictures of the finished centaur but dove straight into this one. It's definitely the one that's taken the longest. Extremely cool robot tho.

#9 - MG - Justice - 5063150

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

IG-88 posted:

#9 - MG - Justice - 5063150
:allears:

Hey remember me bitching about the misaligned parts and seams on the HG Tieren a few months back? I'm still slowly working it on when the mood strikes me but the upside of the kit is that it teaches me a lot about different seam removal techniques and how to file down/fit parts to allign them better.

The first technique I want to showcase is filling seams with grey Tamiya putty.

This does certainly work but I'm not a fan of it for seams this small. It makes sense for bigger gaps but for this it introduces too much cleaning work imo. Also I have trouble telling when the surface is smoothed out enough just by looking. The surface in the second pic still looks rough but it's smooth to the touch and my fingernail also can't find a gap to cling to. I guess I can only really tell once I put primer on the part and then get to decide if I need to go back to sanding. Oh and this technique is obviously not an option if you don't plan on painting your kit.

The second technique is using the thin Tamiya/Mr.Hobby cement on the parts and the seam so that you can press a bit of glue&plastic goo upwards out of the seam.

Here is a part showing its initial state and fit.

This is what the same part looks like after cutting the internal pegs for the fit and glue&sanding treatment. You can still kinda see where the seam was but it is just discoloration and should not show through primer and paint. Hopefully!

The backside of the same part and I was real happy about this one. Smooth as butter! The downside is that I now will judge all my other seam removals by that example lol.

A different seam to drive it home for other learning builders. On the left of the part you can still see the glue&plastic mix on the seam while the round surface on the right has already been sanded.

Give it a try! I ended up really liking this technique. Do make sure to use the thin cement though. I tried it with the normal Tamiya modeling cement and the result wasn't nearly as good.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 20, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I've had my eye on the Master Grade Delta Plus for a long time, but I've avoided it because of the joint problems people have reported with it.

Has anyone tried this "Joint Guard" stuff Newtype started stocking? I'm wondering if it might provide the solution to fixing up that kit: https://newtype.us/p/EptRTrJUsd0bcXPZT5v8/h/joint-guard

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Finally built my Guntank Ariel and I'm oddly impressed by the waist. They got the narrow waist done in a much more stable way than in the IBO kits. Way less floppy.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I"m looking for a Heavy Arms, IGEL? or at least Endless Waltz in 1/144.

What should I be looking for? I want ALL the guns, and all the missiles. And I want it blue.

edit: of course, I ask.. and I found my answer. BANDAI GUNDAM -W ENDLESS WALTZ H-Arms CUSTOM 1/144

Beautiful excess, come to Nero.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 20, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nerobro posted:

What should I be looking for? I want ALL the guns, and all the missiles. And I want it blue.

edit: of course, I ask.. and I found my answer. BANDAI GUNDAM -W ENDLESS WALTZ H-Arms CUSTOM 1/144

Go a scale higher and splurge for the P-Bandai Master Grade Heavyarms Custom, if you can find one. It's a great kit.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Mindblast posted:

Thats awesome news I got the RG.

Never worked with slides. They don't look that had to use. I see people use small sticks to position them. Time to steal a few from work.

:saddowns: turns out I didnt know how to differentiate between certain light blue and green colors and these stickers are normal ones. Good thing I didnt try dipping them in water. :v:

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Nerobro posted:

please be advised this kit is 25 years old and looks awful without paint

Neddy Seagoon is right, the P-Bandai MG is what you want, it's on my list of highly sought after kits too but it hasn't been printed in a while.

There is also a third party (SuperNova) that does a blue version with IGEL set but it's also not cheap and I've never built third party. this guy has a good review: https://madjesh.blogspot.com/2021/10/review-060-mg-heavyarms-custom-igel-unit-supernova.html

if there's room for compromise Bandai did sell the TV colors (red) MG - which they still market as EW because of the katoki design I guess - packaged with their official IGEL set on P-Bandai...it's of course out of print but honestly ebay prices aren't exorbitant

I've also seen the TV colors by itself at my hobbyshop and I think is currently in print so you could probably find it online as well for MSRP

choose your own adventure but i can't in good conscience let someone build one of those old EW kits without saying something. you deserve better

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Mindblast posted:

:saddowns: turns out I didnt know how to differentiate between certain light blue and green colors and these stickers are normal ones. Good thing I didnt try dipping them in water. :v:

Yeah, unfortunately Bandai rarely include waterslides with general release kits (Ver. Ka are a weird exception) so if you see bluey-green just assume marking decals.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 20, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Built the "SDW Heroes Verde Buster Team Member" tonight.

It's... certainly an SD kit, that's about all I can really say. No elbow joints at all, but surprisingly does have knee joints for all the mobility they bring with the bigass forward skirt plate. From what I can tell looking it up, this is a grunt version of a hero "Sergeant" version, so there's zero surprise as to how this thing wound up as blind-box filler.

One particularly odd design element with it though - it's shown as being right-handed for its baton and firearm, yet the handgun it comes with is stored on the left hip and forward-facing to boot. :confused:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

JoeGlassJAw posted:

And here I was thinking people itt are too harsh on the old kits :ohdear:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

JoeGlassJAw posted:

I had this as a kid, I tried my best to paint it. It didn't work well for however old I was.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

JoeGlassJAw posted:

*snip*
choose your own adventure but i can't in good conscience let someone build one of those old EW kits without saying something. you deserve better

I do apreciate the warning. I figured I was going to be in for a "paint or death" sort of adventure. I"ll make something brag-worthy out of it. :-)

Tin Tim posted:

And here I was thinking people itt are too harsh on the old kits :ohdear:

They absolutely are not.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

The aerial is a lovely kit. It doesn't show up on photos very well but I did metallic colours for the whole thing and the white parts have a light silver coat over it to try and get the weird pearl-ish effect from the boxart.

That's all my HGs done. Time to move on to the big MG boxes I have been salivating over since xmas.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

30 Minute Devil

https://twitter.com/30msisters/status/1627592656573562886?s=46&t=1F_2uAh-_jly-no6q75-nw

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Pierson posted:

The aerial is a lovely kit. It doesn't show up on photos very well but I did metallic colours for the whole thing and the white parts have a light silver coat over it to try and get the weird pearl-ish effect from the boxart.

That's all my HGs done. Time to move on to the big MG boxes I have been salivating over since xmas.

Which MGs? I'm interested in seeing what you do given the care put into these HGs.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Pierson posted:

Good poo poo! Hope the mgs get the same treatment.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Azubah posted:

Which MGs?
Oh man I got loving over xmas so I have an Aile Strike ver RM (dunno why they call it that but it's the newer one they released more recently), Unicorn ver OVA, Nu ver Ka and a Sazabi ver Ka on the way.

I think someone mentioned it earlier but the rule for stickers:
Shiny = Foil Sticker
Teal = Clear Sticker
Clear/White = Dry Transfer
Blue = Waterslide

Right? Does that hold for third-party sellers too? I got some Evo stickers for the Strike that were advertised as blue-sheet waterslde decals (these) but when they're arrived they're on a teal sheet so did I get scammed?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Pierson posted:

Oh man I got loving over xmas so I have an Aile Strike ver RM (dunno why they call it that but it's the newer one they released more recently), Unicorn ver OVA, Nu ver Ka and a Sazabi ver Ka on the way.

I think someone mentioned it earlier but the rule for stickers:
Shiny = Foil Sticker
Teal = Clear Sticker
Clear/White = Dry Transfer
Blue = Waterslide

Right? Does that hold for third-party sellers too? I got some Evo stickers for the Strike that were advertised as blue-sheet waterslde decals (these) but when they're arrived they're on a teal sheet so did I get scammed?

I believe it's called the ver RM because they released an updated MG of the strike to coincide with the Seed ReMasters.

And on stickers, yeah pretty much, on older kits the clear stickers came on a yellow back but that's the only big exception I can think of.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The EG Nu was pretty pleasant! FWIW Neddy, the shoulders on mine are just fine.

Not really posed properly but w/e. I should look at how to use those real touch markers... seems like a good test case for 'em.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

The EG Nu was pretty pleasant! FWIW Neddy, the shoulders on mine are just fine.

Yeah I admit fault on that one, I just needed to cram them in a little harder to lock the notch properly. It really is an impressively-detailed kit line for a starter set.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

Pierson posted:

I got some Evo stickers for the Strike that were advertised as blue-sheet waterslde decals (these) but when they're arrived they're on a teal sheet so did I get scammed?

The evo studio ones are waterslides. Backing paper is not consistent between companies, or even between all Bandai products. You can probably test it with one of the tiny hazard symbols from the sheet if you want - there'll be two dozen of each style and you can get away with losing one or two meant for the back if there aren't any spares.

For Bandai ones, there are oddities like the HG Jesta which are on the decal shade of paper but are stickers.

For older kits where there's no english beyond maybe the unit name on the sheet, look for the character "水" (mizu, water) on the text. If you see it, it's waterslide. Or hold the sheet up in front of Google Lens or some other camera based translator.

DO read the instructions on the decals, and maybe test them using some of the less important ones first. Bandai decals only need 3-5 seconds in lukewarm water to activate, other decals may need say 15 seconds. Leaving Bandai ones in water for too long makes them weaker and susceptible to tearing, so they get a bad rap in some circles who assume they're the same as other brands, but I've never had trouble with them.

You'll also want to check if you need to cut the decal paper itself arond the design (less common these days) or if each decal is pre-cut and you only need to slice out a chunk of backing to get at it. Should be easy to angle the sheet against the light, looking for the edge.

Aside: The correct order for softer and setter seems to vary between every single person who uses it, I think they have something on the official website about the correct order as well, but I've been meaning to paint a #1 and #2 on my bottles next time I need them so I don't have to keep looking it up.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

JoeGlassJAw posted:

They had the crust to label this thing a High Grade.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bimmi posted:

They had the crust to label this thing a High Grade.

I dunno that looks like a pretty big step up from just a couple years before

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Me looking at those kits

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Looking at the progression of grandpa is very fun:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pierson posted:

A striking demonstration of changing beauty standards.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Premium Bandai has the MG Altron Gundam from Endless Waltz and the Gundam Deathscythe (Roussette) from Glory of the Losers going pre-order tonight at 9 pm EST.

https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2266764001011

https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2505894001005

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I'm definitely going after that Altron.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Gripweed posted:

I dunno that looks like a pretty big step up from just a couple years before

Maybe, maybe not, but they weren’t trying to pass off cheap 3-color junk as HG in 1993, either.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pierson posted:

I like that 2001 chunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Snowy posted:

I like that 2001 chunk

Same. Wish the shoulders had a bit more "wing" to them and maybe slightly smaller feet, but pretty much perfect, otherwise.

I've also just not liked Ver. Ka style, in general.