Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Ups_rail posted:

So anyone got any insight into the common prosperity?

nothing new.
But this made me chuckle.
https://twitter.com/Byron_Wan/status/1627120471518117889?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

lol

I wanna see what happens when when he is shown a taiwanese passport lol

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

lol what the gently caress is that sourced from

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I believe I saw that scene in the hit movie China Salesman

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

They cut off the last few seconds where one of the assailants produces a glass of ice water.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
It was brought up before but Blizzard has indeed ended their licensing deals with Chinese gaming company NetEase and the Chinese servers for World of Warcraft, Hearthstone, and Overwatch have shut down.

https://restofworld.org/2023/heartbroken-gamers-mourn-world-of-warcrafts-shutdown-in-china/

quote:

When Liu heard rumors of Blizzard’s dispute with NetEase in late 2022, he didn’t think much of it. Blizzard would not give up a market as large as China, he believed. The country’s gaming market accounted for at least 3% of Activision’s net revenue in 2021, roughly $264 million in sales.
On global servers, the game is still accessible to Chinese players who are willing to jump through extra hoops: using a VPN to bypass China’s firewall, a virtual phone number to register for a non-Chinese account, and special software to reduce connection lag.

But Jiang did not want to move to a global server. Like many other gamers, he believed that Blizzard handled its deal with NetEase poorly, snubbing its Chinese users. “Nothing will replace WoW for me. It was the most important place for me, where I once hung out with all my friends,” Jiang told Rest of World. “But I will not join another server because I don’t want Blizzard to get their way.” They needed to show Blizzard that Chinese gamers “have backbones, and cannot be disrespected,” Xinyuan Chen, another gamer from the Chang Sheng Tian guild, told Rest of World.
After announcing the shutdown, Blizzard and NetEase did not offer to store user data, providing only a service called the “electronic urn,” which allowed WoW players to download their characters, gear, and progress onto their personal devices.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wait, so they don't allow the gamers in China to continue on with their existing characters?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Wait, so they don't allow the gamers in China to continue on with their existing characters?

It would be the company openly supporting the use of a VPN, which is on-paper illegal if not particularly enforced except to pad out a conviction for another crime they actually care about.

Xi hasn't Wolf Warrior'd a permit for Blizzard to sell their stuff without a rent-seeking Chinese company in-between, someone under him would probably outright ban Blizzard as antithetical to Jinping-Thought if they caught them openly supporting the breaking of the law rather than merely surreptitiously supporting it.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

quote:

“But I will not join another server because I don’t want Blizzard to get their way.” They needed to show Blizzard that Chinese gamers “have backbones, and cannot be disrespected,” Xinyuan Chen, another gamer from the Chang Sheng Tian guild, told Rest of World.

my brother in taoism this was caused by your government not Blizzard

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i mean, even if the dude knew, he wouldnt be able to say it. so how do you know he doesnt know?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Because he's bitching about being disrespected.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i mean, even if the dude knew, he wouldnt be able to say it. so how do you know he doesnt know?

So which "China Watcher" on twitter are you?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/duckbldg/status/1627850008509775873?s=46&t=Y8nPNEzWMuLGKJ1f_vvK7g

https://twitter.com/duckbldg/status/1627850777493372931?s=46&t=Y8nPNEzWMuLGKJ1f_vvK7g

https://twitter.com/duckbldg/status/1627855261074444288?s=46&t=Y8nPNEzWMuLGKJ1f_vvK7g

Is this, uh, normal?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Is this, uh, normal?

Yes.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Passport and ID photobooths in Taiwan have a built-in beautify filter you can select

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

happened to me in Korea too, best part was seeing the lady have such a deft hand with a yellowed trackball mouse. My registration card looks so hosed like a weird doll man

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Renreeja posted:

happened to me in Korea too, best part was seeing the lady have such a deft hand with a yellowed trackball mouse. My registration card looks so hosed like a weird doll man

It's so you can tell it's a fake ID because they used a different snapchat filter, or used an unaltered picture.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Every ID I've seen in Taiwan or China has had the exposure so blown out that people just look like a white blob with eyes. I always wondered what was even the point of photo IDs if everyone does that.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

Well, I'm back to write about the Seoul modeling program. I had to take a hiatus due to some stressful illustration assignment, but developments happened, I'm now taking classes from a middleaged supermodel to get a walking teacher license myself. Major Bene Gesserit energy, like she was telling me to raise my humerus and getting pissed my trapezius was activating too much.

So during the programs walking classes, if you'll remember it was 25 girls and 15 guys, we would line up along the red carpet in this long mirrored room. If you have ever been in a country fair where the little ducklings line up to slide down a slide it was like that but for walking.

The lady teacher started us out doing this bizarre exagerrated thing I guess to get us coordinated where you had to really pull your trailing arm back and slide your front foot forward like pretending to ski. This is all while wearing dress shoes. I remember at the start they kept playing this repeat loop of a song where a guy kept chanting "I'm a black man in a white world" which me and the French girl (who is a black woman) kept chuckling cause it was so lost on our friends.

As it went on we ended up learning a bunch of variations, like how to stop, how to stop and turn in the middle, the "fountain" where at the end you'll turn left or right depending on which way the person ahead of you went, walking in a rectangular path~ (this turned out to be useful for me because when you get to the corner you want to A. stay on beat when you turn and B. always turn by externally rotating the inside leg into the turn, rather than cross over with your outside leg, which is awkward. Doesn't matter though cause I had a casting 2 days ago and hosed up this exact way.) also,walking evenly spaced for a finale. There was more but thats pretty much it. Oh yeah also couple walking, matching somebody walking with you that sortof thing.

It all basically came down to learning how to not be awkward or do any little spazzy unconscious things while walking, stopping, or turning. This all could be learned in like a week if they filmed us and had us watch ourselves. But no, it had to be done with a teacher vaguely critiquing us over the course of months.

On mondays we had acting class from like a commercial actor guy who would come in, that was fun and involved alot of improv stuff and reading from scripts at the start. And I think it was tuesdays we had "bodytraining" where a fitness instructor would come in and we'd pull out the yoga mats to exercise. Fridays usually we would go out into the world to do something. Also there was a day a makeup instructor would come in and show us how to do our own makeup. This is where I witnessed one of the guys stare at his eyebrows for 15 minutes straight. Koreans gotta be the most perfectionist people about eyebrows I've ever met.

Everyday we had to log a journal and it mainly involved bullshitting we had learned something, nothing was learned.

We hungout on the roof alot, many of these kids were smokers, I'd always give them poo poo about that telling them it'd gently caress up their skin quality. We'd also do pullups on the concrete overhang out there, so some ajushi from one of the other companies in the building would walk out into some grunting, sweaty guy's belly when he wanted to take a smoke break.

The company on the floor below us put signs on their bathrooms cause everybody kept coming down to take a poo poo in there, where it was more quite and peaceful.

Later on the other side of the program really got their poo poo together and they started castings for the "live digital" shows. At this point the models were really lagging in spirit because it had been like 3 or 4 months of just dicking around, and listening to these long lectures of the guy teacher had worn thin from the first.

The models were funny cause to describe them overall, they were not the type of Koreans who strived to be good students in school. Alot of rebels and most of them dressed in an early 90s grunge style. The majority were in their 20s, though a few of us were past the 30 mark. Good people, basically opposite from the types you'll meet teaching (at least from my experience, where there was alot of strict weirdos I couldnt make friends with)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Did you ever meet that white guy model that's on the Physical: 100 show? He seemed like a dick

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Or... are you that one white guy :aaaaa:

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
E: nothing to see here.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
so remember that photoshop of an australian soldier?

well uhh china might have been right https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NCPkoUekHQ

:tinfoil:

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Did you ever meet that white guy model that's on the Physical: 100 show? He seemed like a dick

I've seen him and Miracle pop up on the gram but never met either, the white guy seemed like a showboat to me. There are a few guys like that, kindof clownish when they get on tv. Its a pretty small world with the models and entertainers here, but enough to be flooded still. Whenever the Samsung and LG castings come around they probly listing up ~500 foreigner models in the running for those jobs

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Oh yeah, Australian soldiers are loving monsters. Our SAS straight up murders everyone.

Which is why I was so confused they bothered to fake an atrocity.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The one runway model I've met was very nice and chill and I think that successful models have to be nice and chill because their schedules are so weird and their career depends on people liking to work with them. Like I saw her IG wearing a clear plastic miniskirt and I thought, "she looks patient".

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

So which "China Watcher" on twitter are you?

Bob Dobbs梦庄子

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
from the ukraine thread

I kinda want to see this

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
I cannot wait. Its going to be a shitshow.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm expecting the Herlihy Boy skit from SNL with Xi as Chris Farley and Putin as Adam Sandler.

Putin: Let me conquer Ukraine, please? I’ve already pushed all my things in the corner. That’ll be my little area. Please? I won’t bother you. You won’t even have to look at me. Please, let me conquer Ukraine, please? I’d like an answer, and I’d like that answer to be “yes”. Please? I’ve already invaded the Donbass. If you didn’t want me to conquer Ukraine, why’d you let me invade the Donbass? Just let me conquer Ukraine, please?

Xi: Can we STOP this cruel game! And allow the boy to keep ONE shred of diginity! For God’s sake, I can’t STAND to see him in all this pain!! You VICIOUS BASTARDS!! Let him conquer Ukraine!! Is it so bad to see somebody happy?! So just let him CONQUER UKRAINE!! For the LOVE OF GOD, let the boy conquer Ukraine!! Good Lord!!

McGavin fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 22, 2023

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It is very wise for the governors of these two distant and peripheral provinces to refer to the emperor for adjudication.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

BrassRoots posted:

It's just an invasion plan with the names "China" and "Taiwan" crossed out, and Russia and Ukraine in their place

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The way this guy presented the information was annoying AF.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It wasn't his presentation that got his house firebombed.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
35 minutes is a decent sized video. Summary or is the payoff worth it

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The whole thing is just "Australian troops love warcrimes".

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The whole thing is just "Australian troops love warcrimes".

Makes you wonder what Simpson and his Donkey were really up to.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

BrassRoots posted:

https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1628927931689930752

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
It reads like a mission statement before an actual plan.

"Soverignty is good. All countries should have it"

OK...... so how do you use that logic to solve the current crisis? How does it apply to the current situation? Whay should countries do to ensure soverignty is respected?

I WANT ANSWERS DAMNIT!

E: this is not a serious post. My tongue is firmly in my cheek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
has china just pulled out chatgpt and called it a day???

man those are some big pig balls

i can't wait for our future of ai driven chabuduo