Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I dunno why people are complaining so hard about precons, I just went on a mini spending spree and got three of the more recent ones (WH40k Imperium, Rebellion Rising, Nalia de'Arnise) and they all seemed totally functional. Sure, there's obvious room for improvement but honestly it's nowhere near "toss it and start over". To me it felt like they had 5-10 outright antisynergistic cards, but the bulk of the decks were decently on-theme and powerful enough not to feel like you were run off the table. They all had a decent spread of draw, ramp, removal and gas - maybe not a wholly optimal spread, but I always had something to do.

Nalia, especially, was a banger of a deck (and so is her alternate commander). With a little luck and/or underestimation it can hang with 7 power decks out-of-the-box. Rebellion Rising wasn't quite that good but by cutting out the equipment subtheme and a boardwipe (6-ish cards total) it ends up even stronger than Nalia. The 40k deck is the worst of the three, mostly because of the mismatch between the two commander choices (the alternate one is much better for the deck as constructed).

Silhouette posted:

Also wotc needs to stop putting 40 loving lands in every precon, at least two of those common/basic land slots should be more targeted removal or ramp instead

If you dig around a bit online, there are pretty reasonable arguments that most decks should be in the 38-40 land range in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I like precons, they're fun. Lathril was my first ever commander deck, and altho she's been tweaked heavily (it's now a life drain deck lol) I haven't stopped enjoying playing it. I also have the Mindflayarrs and Gisa and Geralf precons, and those are also hella fun.

The only other precon I have is the Lorehold precon, which has been thoroughly modified, because I wanted to change up it's style. Will probably overhaul it again honestly.

I also like seeing precons, how they're built and how they work, and then making a deck that does the same vibe, but with other cards. There's a bunch of precons that seem fun, and also a bunch I just skip right over. Just play what is fun.

Also I run a lot of lands in decks, especially basics. 38-40 is my sweet spot, otherwise it doesn't feel balanced to me. The land base mojo.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
While I've kept the 40k precons complete for theme reasons, I do like taking a precon+ to game nights, where the + is only increasing consistency and not power (it's Exit from Exile, one of the first things I did was actually taking the best card - Jeska's Will - out of the deck in favour of on-theme jank). Low power games can be just as fun as the ones where my mono-G combo deck wins on turn 4, and usually more so.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

syntaxfunction posted:

I like precons, they're fun. Lathril was my first ever commander deck, and altho she's been tweaked heavily (it's now a life drain deck lol) I haven't stopped enjoying playing it. I also have the Mindflayarrs and Gisa and Geralf precons, and those are also hella fun.

The only other precon I have is the Lorehold precon, which has been thoroughly modified, because I wanted to change up it's style. Will probably overhaul it again honestly.

I also like seeing precons, how they're built and how they work, and then making a deck that does the same vibe, but with other cards. There's a bunch of precons that seem fun, and also a bunch I just skip right over. Just play what is fun.

Also I run a lot of lands in decks, especially basics. 38-40 is my sweet spot, otherwise it doesn't feel balanced to me. The land base mojo.

Lathril, Mindflayers and Lorehold are in the top 5% of pre-cons from the last 4 years. The majority are way worse.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Precons have definitely been better constructed since 2019 (they used to be utter garbage and now most of them are just clunky and inefficient (though the vampire deck from 2017 wasn't so bad, but that's more because Edgar Markov is one of the most busted cards from any precon ever)), but they still are pretty chaff heavy and very often aren't worth the inflated price.

It's fine if that's all you want though. But what folks like Toshimo and pseudo are referring more to is that precons offer very little in the way of staples for new players to use in their own creations, or add differently terrible cards (like Temple of the False God), and the value of the cards in the deck aren't worth the price tag when you could build a much better deck from singles for a comparable price, and it will stand up way better in a general pod than a precon would.

If all you want to do is battle precon to precon, I'd say that's the best use case for them since that would be the closest thing to an equal power level you could get (even if precons tend to vary on that level as well). I know of some cEDH players who enjoy precon-only games as playing with low efficiency cards is good practice for timing and threat evaluation.

orangelex44 posted:

If you dig around a bit online, there are pretty reasonable arguments that most decks should be in the 38-40 land range in the first place.

Precons tend to have a high land count because they tend to skimp on good mana rocks and ramp and often have ridiculous curves that you can never expect to hit unless you are flooding out.

A deck constructed with a more efficient curve wouldn't need to run so many because they'd be running more mana rocks and wouldn't be running so many low impact cards that cost 4+ mana.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I have most of the precons between here and Kaldheim, skipping only Strixhaven and New Capenna. I will occasionally find new cards to toss into them as I pick things up from newer sets, but none have really gotten any sort of complete overhaul. It's mostly just me collecting cardboard, but I like to keep them around for newbies or to take it easy. For example, if I win the first match, I like to grab something like a slightly upgraded precon or gimmick deck to take something of a back seat for the next one.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

My dude you shouldn't have skipped the Strixhaven precons, they're all full of good poo poo. I regret not getting the Quandrix one, and now it's kinda pricey

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Some MoM cards:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/

UW Phyrexian Heliod, WUBRG Phyrexian Omnath, and a loving vanilla legendary rare, lol

E:

Drana + Linvala is p cool

E2:

Oh yeah, Thalia riding The Gitrog Monster into battle

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 19, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Everytime In like eh I'll grab a precon later it's one of the ones that seem to only exist above 100 dollars.

I don't like Warhammer but almost got the nexrom dynasties when it came out just because it had like 10 singles I needed for the deck I was making for myself. And since then every deck I've made seemed to want at least one Warhammer card in it. Get the feeling might be wanting some junk from the ONE precons eventually too but there's just more Magic poo poo coming anytime I almost buy something In like eh let's see what's next.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Looks like MOM is gonna have 5 Commander decks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/116l5y2/mom_commander_decks/

E:

R.I.P. to Brimaz, if the comments about the box art for the first deck are to be believed.

E2:

https://mythicspoiler.com/

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 20, 2023

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's come to my attention that one of my old cards has skyrocketed in price. I like it, but I don't like it $270 worth, so I'm considering taking the trade-in value and just buying a new deck.

But man. So many commanders are kind of boring? It seems like a ton of them are just a pile of generically good things, or creatures whose main mechanic involves going into combat. I don't mind a deck that wins with combat, but I don't get excited about that being its *thing*. I like commanders that have a clear game plan, like Talrand wants you to draw, filter, and counter your way to a huge drake army. Kiki-Jiki wants you to combo or at least copy crazy value targets. I'm excited about Myrkul because you can grind everyone out with pings or protect yourself and draw cards into a combo.

I feel like most commanders are like "When ~ attacks, creatures you control get +1/+0. If they deal combat damage to a player that causes an ability to trigger, they trigger twice, and you draw a card. Proliferate." Like just ground-based, red-zone dependent and an uninspiring mishmash of abilities, all on like a 3/4 that's going to die in combat.

I know I'm not being super helpful, but with those kinds of feelings on commander options, anyone got something to suggest that has a fun build-around path to victory?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's come to my attention that one of my old cards has skyrocketed in price. I like it, but I don't like it $270 worth, so I'm considering taking the trade-in value and just buying a new deck.

But man. So many commanders are kind of boring? It seems like a ton of them are just a pile of generically good things, or creatures whose main mechanic involves going into combat. I don't mind a deck that wins with combat, but I don't get excited about that being its *thing*. I like commanders that have a clear game plan, like Talrand wants you to draw, filter, and counter your way to a huge drake army. Kiki-Jiki wants you to combo or at least copy crazy value targets. I'm excited about Myrkul because you can grind everyone out with pings or protect yourself and draw cards into a combo.

I feel like most commanders are like "When ~ attacks, creatures you control get +1/+0. If they deal combat damage to a player that causes an ability to trigger, they trigger twice, and you draw a card. Proliferate." Like just ground-based, red-zone dependent and an uninspiring mishmash of abilities, all on like a 3/4 that's going to die in combat.

I know I'm not being super helpful, but with those kinds of feelings on commander options, anyone got something to suggest that has a fun build-around path to victory?

So uh

What's the expensive card

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

In Red/Blue:

The Locust God is kind of like Talrand, where you end up making a bunch of flying tokens. Ovika, Enigma Goliath is also similar in that regard. Ghyrson Starn turns all your one-damage spells and abilities into Lightning Bolt, and you can even just try to storm off with Grapeshot or Thousand Year Storm.

In White/Black:

One of the versions of Teysa doubles death triggers, which is pretty easy to build around. Kambal, Consul of Allocation can be built into some sort of "death by a thousand cuts" deck.

In WUBRG:

Sisay, Weatherlight Captain makes a pretty sweet Superfriends deck with a combo finish (make sure you play Jegantha as your companion).

You could probably build some sort of "What's yours is mine" deck with Empress Galina and Leyline of Singularity (plus any spell that steals things). The new Elesh Norn abuses ETB triggers and you can combo off with Felidar Guardian + Preston, the Vanisher (as long as you can blink the Felidar Guardian).

E:

Preston just lets you exile all your opponents' permanents. You still gotta win some other way.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Framboise posted:

So uh

What's the expensive card

Gilded Drake.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Gilded Drake is 270 United States Dollars

That’s hosed up.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Chakan posted:

That’s hosed up.

It's actually down from $290 back in November 2022, lol

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Playing praetor theme month in my online playgroup and I got new Vorinclex. Any fun ideas with him besides +1 counters? not a fan of tracking all those counters.

So far i got vorinclex+vigor+walking ballista as an expensive (mana) combo.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

checkplease posted:

Playing praetor theme month in my online playgroup and I got new Vorinclex. Any fun ideas with him besides +1 counters? not a fan of tracking all those counters.

Helix Pinnacle

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

It's actually down from $290 back in November 2022, lol

I am so loving mad that I had the opportunity to trade ~40 bucks worth of stuff for one of these several years ago and decided against it because I thought it was too expensive

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

One of the best blue cards for EDH ever made, only ever printed once, and on the reserve list so it'll never be printed again (at least "legally" playable). May be worth holding on to unless you're really itching to let it go.

As for a deck suggestion, I did make an Izzet list a while back that was specifically designed to be able to be played in vastly different ways but using the exact same cards, so you can change them up on the fly. It works because each cares about doing things red and blue do (casting spells, drawing and discarding cards), but rewards you differently for playing with the commander of choice. If you read the primer linked in the list, you'll see the playstyles and synergies of each commander option. It's designed to have little to no dead cards at any time for any commander, with staples that you could use for other decks should you ever wish to dismantle it and use them elsewhere, but also with budget in mind so there's nothing obscenely busted in there, but can easily be upgraded in any direction you'd like, should you find preference for one commander over another.

It's a design I'm quite proud of! Perhaps you might find it enjoyable as a "build-around path to victory"? Each commander option plays completely different from the others-- Rielle cares about discarding cards and can draw you a bunch while beefing herself up to attack (lowest power level); The Locust God cares about drawing cards and making a bunch of tokens, where you'll find a bunch of synergies with token creation; Niv-Mizzet cares about drawing cards as well, but rewards you for casting instants and sorceries by drawing you more cards (and draws you cards when opponents cast instants and sorceries too)-- you can use him to control the board by pinging down threatening creatures your opponents may have, or kill them entirely by using Curiosity/Ophidian Eye/Tandem Lookout to combo off; Krark and Sakashima care entirely about casting spells and copying them a ridiculous number of times and letting you reuse them.

God of Mischief
Oct 22, 2010

checkplease posted:

Mono-green planeswalkers. Most of them will ultimate when you play them, and due to how Vorinclex is worded, their plus abilities get double the counters added unlike Doubling Season.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Oh hey, it's the Commander Mechanic brewin' All Will Be One * click *

Only hot people watch my videos

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

God of Mischief posted:

Mono-green planeswalkers. Most of them will ultimate when you play them, and due to how Vorinclex is worded, their plus abilities get double the counters added unlike Doubling Season.

Clex + Nissa who shakes the world + living lands :getin:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Framboise posted:

One of the best blue cards for EDH ever made, only ever printed once, and on the reserve list so it'll never be printed again (at least "legally" playable). May be worth holding on to unless you're really itching to let it go.

Yeah. I don't care a ton about how good it is since I'm getting back into EDH specifically to play without competitive pressure, and the thought of playing an expensive card that I immediately hand over to another player's battlefield doesn't sit well with me anyway. But I think you're right in the bigger picture. I don't even know if this new group of mine will last yet, and rebuilding Talrand and upgrading Prosper are certainly enough projects for now. If nothing else, I'll slow my roll and see where I'm at on this in a few months.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Framboise posted:

A deck constructed with a more efficient curve wouldn't need to run so many because they'd be running more mana rocks and wouldn't be running so many low impact cards that cost 4+ mana.

I've also found that, since switching my decks over to proxied fetches, shocks and duals, I don't need to run higher land counts just for reliable fixing. Between the fetches and ramp like Nature's Lore and Three Visits fixing is an edge case problem these days.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's come to my attention that one of my old cards has skyrocketed in price.

I had that happen recently. I noticed a lot of people in games on YouTube running Lotus Petal, which I previously figured was a bit too short-term for commander. So I started considering other cards in the same quick boost kind of category. Dark Ritual can only go in decks with black, but why don’t more people who run Lotus Petal also run City Of Traitors?

$12 vs $350 is a pretty good reason. I had a playset that I got back in 2004 for a Type 1.5 tournament, and never really liked the play style of them anyways, so it was a pretty easy decision to trade them in and get 90% of my wish list instead.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Framboise posted:

As for a deck suggestion, I did make an Izzet list a while back that was specifically designed to be able to be played in vastly different ways but using the exact same cards, so you can change them up on the fly.

I built this deck and it's extremely fun to play and works as advertised. It's right at the top end of the power curve in my group. Even Rielle wrecks house because she just reliably draws you into the better commanders.

One note is that because a lot of the winning lines involve Birgi, Archmage Emeritus and Storm Kiln artist, you get some very long turns that sometimes result in a win but occasionally just wither on the vine after 15 minutes of tracking treasure and floating red mana and drawing half your deck. It's definitely one to goldfish a bit so you can play it quickly.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

checkplease posted:

I like to run protection (hexproof or indestructible) because one of the benefits that a lot of people forget is that Vorinclex shuts down any opponent who is relying on:

- Planeswalkers (most come in and can't even minus due to half loyalty
- Sagas (they flat out don't work because they never get a lore counter)
- Oil counters
- Poison
- Their own +1/+1s, like lifegain decks or Katilda's ability

Also as was said, you can play pretty much all green planeswalkers as they come in with double loyalty and probably can ultimate immediately. I also recently saw someone do poison with vorinclex and it ramps up pretty quickly if you don't do something about it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tarnop posted:

I've also found that, since switching my decks over to proxied fetches, shocks and duals, I don't need to run higher land counts just for reliable fixing. Between the fetches and ramp like Nature's Lore and Three Visits fixing is an edge case problem these days.

I've also been building decks this way, with a good enough manabase feels like I can skip out on some of the lovely boring homework cards.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Balon posted:

Only hot people watch my videos

How was the Philly MagicCon? Anyone got trip reports?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Jiro posted:

How was the Philly MagicCon? Anyone got trip reports?

It was wild, easily the biggest Magic event I’ve ever been to. There were so many people they had MULTIPLE full areas for players for all formats.

I spent a lot of my time being “on” in the Commander areas so I can’t speak to the PT or organized play areas but, like… it was A LOT

https://twitter.com/cmdrmechanic/status/1627051722647666688?s=46&t=XxzREGuT-_ro2aHCkR_Z6w

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone mind taking a look at a hypothetical Myrkul list I put together?

https://archidekt.com/decks/4039540#Myrkul_WIP_(hah!)

It seems like the basics of the deck are more or less agreed upon (whether you're doing prison effects, token armies, or pings/drains). Manabase is me being cheap except when I have a certain land already in old cards I found. Maybeboard is mostly effects I thought were super cool but maybe too cute (e.g. Fiend Hunter for the stack trick for perma-exile and it coming back as basically an O-Ring token, or Magus of the Balance.)

I'd like to include Nadier's Nightblade but not sure what I'd cut. Do I have enough sac outlets? I feel like I could use another that can be done at instant speed and without summoning sickness.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Anyone mind taking a look at a hypothetical Myrkul list I put together?

https://archidekt.com/decks/4039540#Myrkul_WIP_(hah!)

Given it's a Myrkul deck, you could probably cut the land ramp spells and just add in more mana dorks. Speaking of which, the enchantments Myrkul makes are tokens, so Jaheira, Friend of the Forest gets extra value out of any creatures that are there for their static/triggered abilities.

Also, Death Denied can help rebuild later on in the game if there isn't a ton of graveyard hate going on.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

Nehru the Damaja posted:

... the thought of playing an expensive card that I immediately hand over to another player's battlefield doesn't sit well with me anyway. But I think you're right in the bigger picture.
I used Opposition Agent to take a beta Underground Sea out of my opponents deck and put it into play on my side last week. You'll find that an expensive card you are the least likely to forget.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

generatrix posted:

Given it's a Myrkul deck, you could probably cut the land ramp spells and just add in more mana dorks. Speaking of which, the enchantments Myrkul makes are tokens, so Jaheira, Friend of the Forest gets extra value out of any creatures that are there for their static/triggered abilities.

Also, Death Denied can help rebuild later on in the game if there isn't a ton of graveyard hate going on.

Is there rebuilding in a Myrkul deck? Having to exile the dying creature seems like it creates make it break board states.

It's part of why I've considered making one that goes heavier on Legendaries and trying to pop off the Kaya that let's you cast legendaries from exile.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is there rebuilding in a Myrkul deck? Having to exile the dying creature seems like it creates make it break board states.

Myrkul costs a lot, so there’s a significant portion of the game where they aren’t out and everything goes to the yard as normal.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

This was posted in the main MTG thread, but obviously it’s relevant here:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/commander-masters-arrives-august-4-2023

Ur-Dragon reprint is pretty hot.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TotalHell posted:

This was posted in the main MTG thread, but obviously it’s relevant here:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/commander-masters-arrives-august-4-2023

Ur-Dragon reprint is pretty hot.

404?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Works for me. Maybe it was down briefly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009