Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Eason the Fifth posted:

Im looking at Returnal. I'm terrible at video games -- like, to beat Elden Ring bosses, my only hope was to grind experience until I was impossibly over-levelled. Is that (or some meta-progress equivalent) possible with Returnal?

You can't really over-level like you would in ER but there are a lot of incremental permanent unlocks that persist between runs that will help make your life easier. Things like weapon upgrades come attached to each weapon but aren't usable until you get a certain amount of kills with that weapon. There's still going to be a certain level of skill required; bashing your head against multiple failed runs can feel frustrating but it helps stack the odds more in your favor by making you more likely to encounter good weapon/upgrade combos before you have to take on a boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

There is grinding of a sort, but it's generally just to expand your item pool, yeah.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Pwnstar posted:

Is Returnal the game with the absolutely bonkers plot that people were mad about a while ago?

People on the internet mad about a video game???

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Rinkles posted:

This review convinced me to (eventually) try out Gedonia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITqDd63btdI

I just re-installed it while watching that video,

As that reviewer says: "It's a solo-dev game in a genre that is extremely hostile to solo devs, and you can see the seams pretty readily" . That is a really fair take, but as he also says there's just something about the build diversity that makes it very charming. You can tell there's a lot of love put into the game. It does what it sets out to do well enough that you can look past the cliche writing, the somewhat unoriginal art syle, and low budget voice acting.

One thing to note is that when you assign the stats of your new character, it determines what Perks you start out with. And there is no way to increase your base-stats in game. So while it is a class-less system, your stats will decide how well you can do some things. If you want to wear plate, you need at least X strength. To cast magic, X intellect. Charisma dictates the max number of Companions you can have, ranging from zero to three. I love this, this is like the one thing Outer Worlds did that I really thought was cool over its Bethesda competitors where you could only have 1 companion.

Looking over 1 of my 2 characters now that I created to be a Party Leader fighter type:

Enough Strength to wear Plate, splashing in Intellect enough to pick up Holy Magic and Charisma for 1 Companion.

Skill tree wise, lots of points into the things that make good at hitting, providing some buffs to Allies, and being able to cast Healing spells as well as the relevant crafting trees.

Speech is cool as it comes with a chance to Charm enemies on hit, and improve the tankiness of your NPC Companions, rather than something like Skyrim where it just effects NPC Vendor prices.

While it could definitely be described as "Offline MMO", the classless RPG system also makes it feel like a Bethesda game in that you can just mix and match whatever skills you like.

Apparently a "Music" tree was added in the 1.2 Patch last month; featuring stacking HOTs and other buffs to your Compansions. I absolutely would have specced into this if it existed half a year ago, as I do recall not being able to really heal my allies made my build idea less viable than I hoped, forcing me to pivot more into direct combat.

Seems like if I were to re-make this guy, I'd go all in on CHA to get max companions, Speech, Music to maximize the power of my party.

As someone who at best skims text and at worst just mashes space bar to skip cutscenes entirely it's quite easy to look past or laugh at the bad voice acting and writing.

My second play through was a Wizard build, high INT, Arcane & Elemental magic and tailoring and cooking. There's of course Dark Magic or something too if you want to be a more Warlocky type.

It's just like, there are no bad options, every tree has something that makes it a good primary tree, good secondary, or sometimes a good third option to splash into. Think of any class, subclass, character archetype you like and you can probably implement it to some degree.

The quest log legit needs to be improved though, it feels very Elden Ringy in that you're sometimes better off just alt tabbing and searching the internet to remember where you left off or just get a general direction. Or wondering if it was bugged / early access incomplete status :v:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 21, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

uhhh holy poo poo mundfish how are you gonna explain this one. holey moley

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Well that's just confusing

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

:ussr:

While it’s 2023 for us some parts of the world are stuck back in time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Modern Russia is kind of stuck in the 1990s US mode of calling people gay being the most insanely powerful insult imaginable

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The 7th Guest posted:

hey when Ken Levine does it it's art

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Europeans can't be convinced that blackface is bad, nothing to be done.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The 7th Guest posted:

Bioshock Infinite also had racist caricatures but the context was "this is a psycho white supremacist society and it sucks poo poo". I don't know the context for this screenshot within the game. Like it could be a similar message or it could just be random racism, I don't know.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Got locked out of twitter for week for telling someone to drink motor oil. What's the best site for uploading short clips for sharing with a medium file size? Asking here because game captures is usually the use case for such things.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Got locked out of twitter for week for telling someone to drink motor oil. What's the best site for uploading short clips for sharing with a medium file size? Asking here because game captures is usually the use case for such things.

I like Streamable.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Bioshock Infinite also had racist caricatures but the context was "this is a psycho white supremacist society and it sucks poo poo". I don't know the context for this screenshot within the game. Like it could be a similar message or it could just be random racism, I don't know.
it's from a Russian cartoon of the era I guess? so I guess they were just like "we'll show this because it's era appropriate and since racist caricatures were in it, we'll preserve that rather than hide it" but also you didn't actually need to have anything playing on the TVs, it's not The Darkness lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Its not so much bonkers as it's like the same plot twist I've seen in at least two other games independently, and probably a few movies

It's not the first time it's ever been done in a time loop story or anything, but I still thought the delivery of the mid-game twist was very punchy -- you finally manage to send out a distress signal and escape the alien planet, you return to earth, a montage plays of the protagonist living out the rest of her life and dying of old age, and then, bam, she wakes up back at the crash site just like what happens when you die in-game

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

They have all 22 episodes of that cartoon in the game. They also have a bunch of episodes of the cartoon with the wolf in it, can't think of the name. For some reason the tv is bugged in my game though so I can't even see them.

e: oh wait, this is the cartoon with the wolf

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The 7th Guest posted:

it's from a Russian cartoon of the era I guess? so I guess they were just like "we'll show this because it's era appropriate and since racist caricatures were in it, we'll preserve that rather than hide it" but also you didn't actually need to have anything playing on the TVs, it's not The Darkness lol

Here's the clip (5:50)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nih71PG9Bao&t=348s

eh, not great, but it's a very minor detail.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

do not click that spoiler if you intend to play Returnal blind

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

victrix posted:

do not click that spoiler if you intend to play Returnal blind

Yeah. Whoops. Oh well im surprised I avoided it for this long, it was gonna happen eventually

It's my fault, I automatically tap spoiler text because I usually don't care. It's a dangerous game

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

goferchan posted:

It's not the first time it's ever been done in a time loop story or anything, but I still thought the delivery of the mid-game twist was very punchy -- you finally manage to send out a distress signal and escape the alien planet, you return to earth, a montage plays of the protagonist living out the rest of her life and dying of old age, and then, bam, she wakes up back at the crash site just like what happens when you die in-game

This was extremely good, and I don't think I've seen it in a groundhog game yet. (do not click unless you never intend to play)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

This was extremely good, and I don't think I've seen it in a groundhog game yet. (do not click unless you never intend to play)

That plot twist is from one of the ancient joke mario comic strips.

sur le web
Oct 23, 2020

the frame rates I'm getting in Atomic Heart are pure witchcraft. everything on high and I'm consistently hitting my 165hz cap with a 2060 @ 1440p. I don't think any game since the idTech 6/7 Dooms have even come close to running this good with the same visual fidelity (not as much going on enemy or effects wise, but still). everything they showed beforehand made me expect tech demo level assets with horrendous frame rates so this was a very nice surprise.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

That plot twist is from one of the ancient joke mario comic strips.

I don't know what that means in any shape or form.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

You will gradually unlock traversal skills and weapons/items that will get added to the pool and make subsequent runs easier, but you'll never start with higher HP or damage from a fresh run.

how long is a run approx. to finish? My first lasted ~2h, died in the red desert in that tower from the teleporting guys. That like half or so?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
It's not really a "game" but I wanted to praise Placid Plastic Duck Simulator for a second.

The Steam Description posted:

A relaxing 3D environment where you experience life as a rubber duck, Placid Plastic Duck Simulator is an experiment to induce calm and bliss. You're up for a reinvigorating stay at your favorite seaside pool.

You are not alone. Different ducks will slowly and happily fall into the pool with you, each with their own style and demeanor.

Float on the water, sunbathe, dip your beak, go down the slide. The radio is playing a nostalgic tune.
Here comes the night. Look at the stars. Turn off the radio, listen to the waves in the dark. Dream.
The sun is rising. The sky is blue. Slide down into the second pool.
An airplane is rushing somewhere, there's stuff to do.
Not for you.

Live in the present moment, enjoy life.

Everything is going to be alright.

Basically, it's a nice looking pool with pretty music in the background and every so often a new plastic duck drops into it and bobs around. There's a lot of different ducks and they do different things. Some are stone and sink to the bottom of the pool. Some shoot fire. Some can fly a little. Some shoot water. They interact with each other sometimes, like the fire shooting duck can set others on fire. Some new ducks "unlock" after certain things happen. You can select a few different viewpoints, or follow a specific duck around, or let it go into cinematic mode and it'll switch from duck to duck on its own. There's two environments (if you buy the DLC), a summer pool and a winter ski lodge.

For such a dumb thing, a surprising amount of love seems to have gone into it and if you miss having, like, a pretty screensaver to just put up on your monitor and have running while you do other things, this is cool. Maybe most importantly, it's only $1.99, with three DLCs (one has the new ice area, the other two are just more ducks) that are also $1.99 each, or you can get a bundle with with the base game and all the DLC for $6.76 (15% off).

It makes me happy :unsmith:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

sur le web posted:

the frame rates I'm getting in Atomic Heart are pure witchcraft. everything on high and I'm consistently hitting my 165hz cap with a 2060 @ 1440p. I don't think any game since the idTech 6/7 Dooms have even come close to running this good with the same visual fidelity (not as much going on enemy or effects wise, but still). everything they showed beforehand made me expect tech demo level assets with horrendous frame rates so this was a very nice surprise.

its surprisingly well done. But god drat are the overlaps of constant blahblahblah and tutorials annoying. Also the axe animation says "I will destroy everything" while the actual damage done is that of tiny scissors.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

sur le web posted:

That impressed me too. Looked great, ran great, barely a stutter. I just wish that the combat encounters had been better designed and the story hadn't been garbage.

The novelty began to wear off as I encountered wave after wave of bullet sponge enemies that infinitely respawn -- and I got to the point where the path of least resistance was to just ignore the encounters entirely and just run from plot trigger to plot trigger to advance the game. (Something I noticed one of the reviewers did as well).

I could have forgiven that if the boss encounters had been interesting enough to make up for the gameplay problems, but those just wound up being bullet sponge enemies with bigger models and no interesting gimmick. You show up, you circle strafe, and you hope you don't run out of ammo.

I hope that down the road someone manages to license the tech behind the game and release something good with it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

haldolium posted:

how long is a run approx. to finish? My first lasted ~2h, died in the red desert in that tower from the teleporting guys. That like half or so?

There are three zones in the first half and three in the second half. A successful run of each will take you around 90-120min assuming you're being thorough.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

EricFate posted:

I hope that down the road someone manages to license the tech behind the game and release something good with it.

it's unreal engine 4, it already is middleware.

exquisite tea posted:

There are three zones in the first half and three in the second half. A successful run of each will take you around 90-120min assuming you're being thorough.

good to know, thanks

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

I like Streamable.

Oh yeah and giving this a shot. Thanks!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

I don't know what that means in any shape or form.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I find it loving hilarious to read stuff like that. Basically "on my first run I got through all of level 1 and beat the boss then died later on in level 2". Good for you! I think it took me about five runs to get to the boss and die, another 5 runs to get back to the boss again, and I beat level one of returnal on about my 12?th try.

redreader fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 21, 2023

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Good try, that's technically not a video game!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sab669 posted:

I just re-installed it while watching that video,

As that reviewer says: "It's a solo-dev game in a genre that is extremely hostile to solo devs, and you can see the seams pretty readily" . That is a really fair take, but as he also says there's just something about the build diversity that makes it very charming. You can tell there's a lot of love put into the game. It does what it sets out to do well enough that you can look past the cliche writing, the somewhat unoriginal art syle, and low budget voice acting.

One thing to note is that when you assign the stats of your new character, it determines what Perks you start out with. And there is no way to increase your base-stats in game. So while it is a class-less system, your stats will decide how well you can do some things. If you want to wear plate, you need at least X strength. To cast magic, X intellect. Charisma dictates the max number of Companions you can have, ranging from zero to three. I love this, this is like the one thing Outer Worlds did that I really thought was cool over its Bethesda competitors where you could only have 1 companion.

Looking over 1 of my 2 characters now that I created to be a Party Leader fighter type:

Enough Strength to wear Plate, splashing in Intellect enough to pick up Holy Magic and Charisma for 1 Companion.

Skill tree wise, lots of points into the things that make good at hitting, providing some buffs to Allies, and being able to cast Healing spells as well as the relevant crafting trees.

Speech is cool as it comes with a chance to Charm enemies on hit, and improve the tankiness of your NPC Companions, rather than something like Skyrim where it just effects NPC Vendor prices.

While it could definitely be described as "Offline MMO", the classless RPG system also makes it feel like a Bethesda game in that you can just mix and match whatever skills you like.

Apparently a "Music" tree was added in the 1.2 Patch last month; featuring stacking HOTs and other buffs to your Compansions. I absolutely would have specced into this if it existed half a year ago, as I do recall not being able to really heal my allies made my build idea less viable than I hoped, forcing me to pivot more into direct combat.

Seems like if I were to re-make this guy, I'd go all in on CHA to get max companions, Speech, Music to maximize the power of my party.

As someone who at best skims text and at worst just mashes space bar to skip cutscenes entirely it's quite easy to look past or laugh at the bad voice acting and writing.

My second play through was a Wizard build, high INT, Arcane & Elemental magic and tailoring and cooking. There's of course Dark Magic or something too if you want to be a more Warlocky type.

It's just like, there are no bad options, every tree has something that makes it a good primary tree, good secondary, or sometimes a good third option to splash into. Think of any class, subclass, character archetype you like and you can probably implement it to some degree.

The quest log legit needs to be improved though, it feels very Elden Ringy in that you're sometimes better off just alt tabbing and searching the internet to remember where you left off or just get a general direction. Or wondering if it was bugged / early access incomplete status :v:

Are there anything like pet builds and if so what should my stats be to get into that? I always have fun with those. It sounds like just high charisma, music and magic?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Yeah I only played a couple of hours but never unlocked the magic that people seem to find in this, might be needing coop or higher difficulties

Ya I don't know the gameplay doesn't feel anything special. While in something like Warframe on co op without mic or anything you can still have fun due to the classes being fun/unique.

Btw Company of Heroes 3 getting bad to meh reviews. The graphics just look so bad compared to CoH2.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

StarkRavingMad posted:

It's not really a "game" but I wanted to praise Placid Plastic Duck Simulator for a second.

PPDS rules. Vinesauce will sometimes keep it running in the background during a stream and tab over to check on his ducks. Love those little critters

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

RBA Starblade posted:

Are there anything like pet builds and if so what should my stats be to get into that? I always have fun with those. It sounds like just high charisma, music and magic?

Yup. Charisma defines how many allies you can get- you can even get yourself a dog in the first town. I personally recommend a little agility too, just enough to get the dodge roll because it's brokenly good.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Black Griffon posted:

depends on your use case? discord uploads work ok but only for small stuff, catbox.moe and imgur are good, streamable works and has the best filesize/length limits but won't embed on the forums

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

StarkRavingMad posted:

It makes me happy :unsmith:

It's great and relaxing. Watching those duckies bob around, slide down and interact with each other is strangely amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
How does Returnal run on lower-specced machines? I'm rocking an i5-6600K and a 1660 Ti; not exactly a powerhouse.