Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I decided to give Potion Craft a try since it's on Gamepass.

1) Do not play this on console. Wow, is it terrible. There is a slight way to make it better by CONSTANTLY holding down RT so the cursor behalves like a mouse, but otherwise it just jerkily moves to and fro on the different "buttons" /interactive elements. But sometimes it's a crapshoot if you need to move the stick, say, up or right to get to the element that's in the upper right.

2) Even on laptop, I had two wildly different experiences. On my better laptop, it ran fine, no issues. I used it on a second laptop on a different day, and it was slooooow. Things like crushing herbs in the mortar and pestle, or stirring potions was like half the speed of the other laptop, and same with customers. Sometimes, they'd crawl across the screen and it was definitely like half the speed of the other laptop.

And related to both is the sheer lack of good options in the settings. All I found for display was windowed or not, and a frame rate thingy? I changed it around a bunch and it didn't seem to affect how slow it was on the other laptop. And the only option on the console was to basically swap the functions of the X and A buttons on the controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

StealthArcher posted:

Sounds better then when I played. I never finished 1, but did 3 runs of 2. I found across those three, 4 purps and one orange, in total not counting gimmes. The only etech I ever got was the one given to you.

I only ever got the drops other people seem to talk about with the trainer script and goon defined chances

This is a problem with every Borderlands game except 3. The drop rate for any gun actually worth a drat is so incredibly low that you can (and will, if you care about that sort of thing), spend hours farming the same boss for their legendary gun/shield/grenade mod... and then you end up spending hours grinding them again because the drop you got sucks rear end!

Borderlands 3 fixed this by upping the higher rarity drop rates and further giving you ways to increase your 'loot luck', to the point you can be rocking multiple legendary items without having to farm anything. A lot of people don't like this but given the alternative is "basically never get to play with any of the cool legendary items"...

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

serefin99 posted:

This is a problem with every Borderlands game except 3. The drop rate for any gun actually worth a drat is so incredibly low that you can (and will, if you care about that sort of thing), spend hours farming the same boss for their legendary gun/shield/grenade mod... and then you end up spending hours grinding them again because the drop you got sucks rear end!

Borderlands 3 fixed this by upping the higher rarity drop rates and further giving you ways to increase your 'loot luck', to the point you can be rocking multiple legendary items without having to farm anything. A lot of people don't like this but given the alternative is "basically never get to play with any of the cool legendary items"...

BL2 was terrible with drops. I think I used a particular Slag SMG for about 3/4 of the game, as nothing replaced it.
I eventually used Cheatengine to up the drop rates and movement speed, and it was a LOT more fun. There are so many weapon types and abilities that you will never see in a regular game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Borderlands 2 has terrible drop rates because Randy remembered his days of playing Diablo 2 and doing endless Baal runs and went "Those were some awesome experiences" and built a game around 0.5% drop rate guns.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ah yes the glory days of PickIt and PindleBot.script

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The Division is too grounded in a real world to have wacky poo poo like how changing my boots makes my bullets penetrate armor better

Also, these dumb character models in Tyranny:

The models look like poo poo in the little window, and what the gently caress even is this? I know he's like pointing from the side but I can't tell which way he's facing, and it sort of looks like a big gauntletted arm is just bursting out of his chest.

credburn has a new favorite as of 21:40 on Feb 21, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

credburn posted:

The Division is too grounded in a real world to have wacky poo poo like how changing my boots makes my bullets penetrate armor better

they fit better

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

If Oswald was wearing his loafers of accuracy +3 he would’ve got the job done in one shot but he traded them to Ruby for a wristwatch that gave +1 armor piercing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Another Borderlands 2 memory was getting lucky one time and having the tutorial boss drop his legendary. It's the only corrosive gun you're gonna see for a while and it obliterates the opening hours of the game. Fun in the short term, but a clear sign of wonky loot balance. IIRC, the actual drop rate is something offensively low. For a boss most people don't even think about going back to re-fight because they'd rather, y'know, play the rest of the game instead.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The final boss of borderlands 1 just dropped a big pile of ammo for me, and it felt like the culmination of the whole game experience

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I got to the point I could literally one shot the final boss of BL2 with a shotgun from across the room and I kept doing it because I wanted the .000001% chance he might drop an upgrade. Then I got into the NG+ mode and it felt like I was shooting everything with damp confetti. I haven't played a Borderlands game since. Everything about the games aside, it awakens a part of my gamer self I don't like with its drop rate nonsense.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Stoatbringer posted:

Hogwarts:

Revelio! *ping*
Revelio! *ping*
Revelio! *ping*
Revelio! *ping*
Revelio! *ping*
Revelio! *ping*
Revelio! *ping*
Revelio! *ping*
Revelio! *ping*
Revelio! *ping*

I was watching my girlfriend play the other day, and it was wild how much gear was dropping that was a straight downgrade for her, even in dungeons where she was having a hard time because of her level.
That and the fact that she had to keep dumping gear to make room for the new worse gear.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My takeaway from Borderlands 2 loot was how the game does an early mission where you get a special weapon to tease what you could get. I then proceeded to go the entire game never getting that class of weapon again.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

marshmallow creep posted:

I got to the point I could literally one shot the final boss of BL2 with a shotgun from across the room and I kept doing it because I wanted the .000001% chance he might drop an upgrade. Then I got into the NG+ mode and it felt like I was shooting everything with damp confetti. I haven't played a Borderlands game since. Everything about the games aside, it awakens a part of my gamer self I don't like with its drop rate nonsense.

Yeah, that's another thing dragging BL2 down. See, they included this new weapon element called slag, and what slag does is it causes slagged enemies to take double damage from any non-slag sources. So when they were scaling the NG+ and NG++ enemies, they 'had' to account for the possibility of a player slagging literally every enemy they come across, so they scaled the enemies accordingly. But wait, that makes slag useless now! So they had to raise slag's damage multiplier to triple damage. But wait! Now the player can breeze through the game by slagging everything! So...

End result: Borderlands 2 endgame literally requires that you have a way of slagging every enemy just to be able to do anything resembling damage.

(For what it's worth, Borderlands 3 end game isn't like that. Definitely the most fun game in the series.)

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

serefin99 posted:

Yeah, that's another thing dragging BL2 down. See, they included this new weapon element called slag, and what slag does is it causes slagged enemies to take double damage from any non-slag sources. So when they were scaling the NG+ and NG++ enemies, they 'had' to account for the possibility of a player slagging literally every enemy they come across, so they scaled the enemies accordingly. But wait, that makes slag useless now! So they had to raise slag's damage multiplier to triple damage. But wait! Now the player can breeze through the game by slagging everything! So...

End result: Borderlands 2 endgame literally requires that you have a way of slagging every enemy just to be able to do anything resembling damage.

(For what it's worth, Borderlands 3 end game isn't like that. Definitely the most fun game in the series.)

Its why I could never, ever get rid of that slag SMG, as everything that dropped until the end was worse. You simply had to slag any elite or boss otherwise they took forever to kill.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm not a fan of how Tomb Raider 2 does secrets. In the first game, finding a secret meant getting more resources and it felt rewarding even if you only found a single secret because of that. However, in 2 you have to find all three secrets in a level to get anything useful, so it feels less like rewarding you for exploring and more like punishing you for failing to explore thoroughly enough.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

CitizenKain posted:

Its why I could never, ever get rid of that slag SMG, as everything that dropped until the end was worse. You simply had to slag any elite or boss otherwise they took forever to kill.
That's why I only played classes who slagged with their class skills, Maya was very good for this.

But yes BL2 scaling was completely hosed past normal mode. Even with slag everything turned into huge bullet sponges who could potentially 2-shot you unless you farmed the overpowered guns that let you kill stuff extremely fast (like that revolver withe the ammo that exploded all over the screen) and the OP shield mods.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

My brother and I started playing Rust and the extreme dark of night makes me straight up not want to play the game. If it was solely up to me we wouldn't play it again because of it.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Phigs posted:

My brother and I started playing Rust and the extreme dark of night makes me straight up not want to play the game. If it was solely up to me we wouldn't play it again because of it.

Games like that need moon phases. It's really easy to see at night with a full moon, and nearly pitch dark with no moon! We have known this for tens of thousands of years, and I can't think of a single game that reflects that. Every game I'm aware of has one extreme or the other. Open world survival games would benefit from these changing conditions just the same as changing weather.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The Binding of Isaac, a twelve year old flash game, is $60 on the PS5

gently caress you Ed McMilllen, apply yourself and make another game you greedy hack. Oh my ancient shoot-the-doodoo roguelike is worth as much as a brand new $200 million dollar AAA game

gently caress you

Clown

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Manager Hoyden posted:

The Binding of Isaac, a twelve year old flash game, is $60 on the PS5

gently caress you Ed McMilllen, apply yourself and make another game you greedy hack. Oh my ancient shoot-the-doodoo roguelike is worth as much as a brand new $200 million dollar AAA game

gently caress you

Clown

Its pretty good OP. I think it should be $120 for being twice as good as an AAA game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also if we're talking Rebirth it's a comprehensive remake and is not "just" a flash game anymore.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Oh also if you own it on PS4, there's no free PS5 upgrade or even a $10 upgrade. Full $60 or nothing

Manager Hoyden has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Feb 22, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'm pretty sure the publisher tends to set the prices, so you should aim your hatred at Nicalis.

Which shouldn't be too hard since they're a company which has a "controversy" section on Wikipedia.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Evilreaver posted:

Games like that need moon phases. It's really easy to see at night with a full moon, and nearly pitch dark with no moon! We have known this for tens of thousands of years, and I can't think of a single game that reflects that. Every game I'm aware of has one extreme or the other. Open world survival games would benefit from these changing conditions just the same as changing weather.

Not even Red Dead Redemption 2, a game all about immersing you in the cowboy experience until the bubbles stop, has moon phases.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GTAV has Moon Cycles

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

GTAV has Moon Cycles

Does it only affect the moon as seen in the sky, or the nighttime brightness as well?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Breath of the Wild has a nice moon phase cycle with minor effects in the game, but sadly I don't recall it having any effects on the lighting.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The best video game moon was in GTA Vice City; you could shoot it with a sniper rifle to make it change size. :colbert:

Alternatively, Majora's Mask.

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 22:53 on Feb 22, 2023

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I posted this in the CoD thread but I think it belongs here. Heck, the problem isn't even isolated to CoD:

Beastie posted:

I am not a fan of games changing their display icon every season. CoD isn't the only one to do it but I hate turning on my Xbox and have to scan for a visually different icon/logo.

Yes I know its listed alphabetically but my brain is used to looking for the mostly green square in the second row.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Beastie posted:

I posted this in the CoD thread but I think it belongs here. Heck, the problem isn't even isolated to CoD:

Same as when mods start getting uppity and start playing around with thread icons

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Tiles suck, can I just have a side bar with the name of the games?

Also games wont be art till a dev makes a fictional celestial sphere complete with constellations, moon (or moons) and planets with physically realistic orbits.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

PhazonLink posted:

Also games wont be art till a dev makes a fictional celestial sphere complete with constellations, moon (or moons) and planets with physically realistic orbits.

Kerbal Space Program comes close, the orbits are simple tracks rather than n-body orbital sim

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
huh apparently simple astronomy has come up before

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3634950&pagenumber=1688&perpage=40&highlight=moon#post521122985

Fallout 4 , moon rises/sets in wrong place. Youtube link of Battlefield, Sun is rising/setting in the South. non game example, in Titanic the star sphere is two mirrored halfs put together.(imagine how much millions he could have made with a correct celestial sphere.)

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Feb 23, 2023

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I don't really understand why every looter game and Diablolike doesn't just drop way fewer items of gear (like, one or two per dungeon floor) but make each drop a ridiculous ultrarare with jacked stats.

If the whole fun of the game is 'the endgame' then surely you could make it more fun by just starting you at at the equivalent of max level. Give you the choice of the boring 'warrior rogue mage' etc builds at the start that are endgame 'effective but boring' builds if you never want to change it up, but let you respec into wild and goofy poo poo as you get the goofy gear too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

PhazonLink posted:

So, Outer Wilds.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

bewilderment posted:

If the whole fun of the game is 'the endgame' then surely you could make it more fun by just starting you at at the equivalent of max level.

The skinner's box, number-go-up brainworms are a big part of the genre. You can strip things down so you're only making meaningful decisions and finding build-changing items, shorten a playthrough since you don't need the vertical progression padding and farming for items, etc... but then you've just made another modern roguelite with randomized, 1-2 hour runs and "draw 3, pick 1" perks. Hades, or Risk of Rain, or something.

Which, granted, I would say is probably a better design than the traditional forever grind diablolikes try to aim for.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

the_steve posted:

I was watching my girlfriend play the other day, and it was wild how much gear was dropping that was a straight downgrade for her, even in dungeons where she was having a hard time because of her level.
That and the fact that she had to keep dumping gear to make room for the new worse gear.

Yeah, it throws so much gear at you, and most of it is junk. Even "legendary" drops are mostly vendor-trash, and anything worth keeping is only good for 3-4 levels. Any green/blue/purple gear just goes straight to the vendor. Still, I'm about level 32 now and have more money than I need so can easily buy an upgrade if I don't get one in loot. Make sure to keep doing Merlin Trials to increase your inventory space for all the crap you get.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Stoatbringer posted:

Yeah, it throws so much gear at you, and most of it is junk. Even "legendary" drops are mostly vendor-trash, and anything worth keeping is only good for 3-4 levels. Any green/blue/purple gear just goes straight to the vendor. Still, I'm about level 32 now and have more money than I need so can easily buy an upgrade if I don't get one in loot. Make sure to keep doing Merlin Trials to increase your inventory space for all the crap you get.

The HL combat is so easy and straightforward that at about the 3/4 point I got sick of shuffling my gear around every five minutes and stuck with a look I liked, stats be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Since I've been playing through the Spyro Reignited Trilogy and already mentioned the first two games, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the third (which I'm currently halfway through).

While it's nice to see a return to the more sprawling level design of Spyro 1 combined with 2's more defined sense of place, you guys weren't kidding: this thing's full of diversions. They're not always bad diversions, but the problem with diversifying your game with alternative modes of play is you run the risk of some of them being under-developed and tedious or far outside the player's skillset and frustrating. I ostensibly bought your game because I like its core gameplay loop, but now you've introduced a new loop (which may or may not be required to progress) and I don't like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZKcZbi1rg

Case in point, I don't mind Sheila or Byrd too much, but Bentley's slow and lumbering and mugs the over-the-shoulder camera. The free-flying sections have never been easier, but the races require crackerjack routing. Sparx' little twin-stick shooter segments are simple but painless, but skateboarding sucks, especially in the Lost Fleet.

Any prospective developers out there, indie or otherwise, who're considering making a platformer in the near future: focus on the core loop, not the gimmicks. I bought the dragon game to play as a dragon, not Tony Hawk.