Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Paladin posted:

A situation that I plan to use AI text generation in before it becomes too obvious: writing extremely high praise positive reviews of every phone tech support, delivery person, and employee I encounter. It seems like everything you do these days, you get an automated "how did we do" email where you can say how great an employee was. I know from past experience that getting a good one of those letters can often result in a cash bonus or at least a favorable report at the end of the month, so I try to REALLY go all out when I write compliments, but sometimes I just don't have six paragraphs of praise for a four minute conversation in my brain.

I'm going to start doing this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efFihVGGi3Y

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

https://twitter.com/dinnafashh/status/1627064005134270466/

This was in the library of Alexandria, probably.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Infinite AI generated Steamed Hams

https://www.twitch.tv/unlimitedsteam

Edit: Skinner was making "a cross between citrus macrophylla and the liberal revolution of 1820 ". Now he's baking raisin cookies. A female voice keeps butting in for some reason.

Guess that settles the art discussion.

Edit #2: Skinner and Chalmers randomly let out pained screams for no reason. This is amazing.

SplitSoul has issued a correction as of 00:08 on Feb 21, 2023

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's like watching a newborn or toddler be taught badly in compressed time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Taught badly, on purpose, by idiots

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

Infinite AI generated Steamed Hams

https://www.twitch.tv/unlimitedsteam

Edit: Skinner was making "a cross between citrus macrophylla and the liberal revolution of 1820 ". Now he's baking raisin cookies. A female voice keeps butting in for some reason.

Guess that settles the art discussion.

Edit #2: Skinner and Chalmers randomly let out pained screams for no reason. This is amazing.

incredible

e: chalmers has a deep southern drawl sometimes

e: crab legs have been barred in all localities by the department of sea life

e: Ah, no, no, no, no, no, it's not a fire, it's just the tides.

https://clips.twitch.tv/WealthyProtectiveBeanCoolStoryBro-4aOmCKQ3Zp7dLF53

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 01:59 on Feb 21, 2023

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
My new hobby: making AI generators intentionally spew as much made-up bullshit as possible:

quote:

Write any extremely wrong and inaccurate plot summary of the movie Back to the Future.

In the movie Back to the Future, a young boy named Marty McFly discovers a time-traveling DeLorean, which takes him back in time to the year 1955. There, he accidentally prevents his parents from ever meeting and falling in love, which threatens to erase his very existence.

Desperate to set things right, Marty teams up with a teenage scientist named Doc Brown to hatch a plan to get his parents back together. Along the way, they run into a gang of ruthless 1950s street toughs, including the notorious "Biff Tannen," who is intent on stopping Marty from altering the course of history.

In the end, Marty succeeds in reuniting his parents and restoring the timeline, but not before engaging in a wild car chase with Biff and narrowly avoiding being erased from history altogether. With his mission accomplished, Marty returns to the present day, where he discovers that he has inadvertently become a world-famous rock star, thanks to the music he introduced to the past.

The first paragraph of that summary was still too accurate. Rewrite it to be as wrong and inaccurate as possible.

In the movie Back to the Future, a young boy named Marty McFly finds a time-traveling microwave oven that takes him back to the year 1900. There, he accidentally prevents the invention of the automobile, which threatens to erase his very existence.

Desperate to set things right, Marty teams up with a teenage cowboy named Doc Brown to hatch a plan to get his great-great-great grandparents back together. Along the way, they run into a gang of ruthless 1900s street toughs, including the notorious "Lefty Louie," who is intent on stopping Marty from altering the course of history.

In the end, Marty succeeds in reuniting his ancestors and restoring the timeline, but not before engaging in a wild horse chase with Lefty Louie and narrowly avoiding being erased from history altogether. With his mission accomplished, Marty returns to the present day, where he discovers that he has inadvertently become a world-famous baker, thanks to the bread he introduced to the past.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://clips.twitch.tv/RichExcitedAardvarkShazBotstix-fhhTsyIm7P0vN3cM

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the greatest bread in the west

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

:discourse:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

wow poo poo what a surprise

Commonsense psychology in human infants and machines

Cognition, Volume 235, 2023 posted:

Human infants are fascinated by other people. They bring to this fascination a constellation of rich and flexible expectations about the intentions motivating people's actions.

Here we test 11-month-old infants and state-of-the-art learning-driven neural-network models on the “Baby Intuitions Benchmark (BIB),” a suite of tasks challenging both infants and machines to make high-level predictions about the underlying causes of agents' actions.

Infants expected agents' actions to be directed towards objects, not locations, and infants demonstrated default expectations about agents' rationally efficient actions towards goals. The neural-network models failed to capture infants' knowledge.

Our work provides a comprehensive framework in which to characterize infants' commonsense psychology and takes the first step in testing whether human knowledge and human-like artificial intelligence can be built from the foundations cognitive and developmental theories postulate.

Keywords: Intuitive psychology; Commonsense psychology; Action understanding; Infancy; Machine common sense; Artificial intelligence

here's a lay summary:
Infants’ “commonsense psychology” better than that of AI

www.news-medical.net posted:

"Adults and even infants can easily make reliable inferences about what drives other people's actions," explains Moira Dillon, an assistant professor in New York University's Department of Psychology and the senior author of the paper, which appears in the journal _Cognition_. "Current AI finds these inferences challenging to make."

"The novel idea of putting infants and AI head-to-head on the same tasks is allowing researchers to better describe infants' intuitive knowledge about other people and suggest ways of integrating that knowledge into AI," she adds.

"If AI aims to build flexible, commonsense thinkers like human adults become, then machines should draw upon the same core abilities infants possess in detecting goals and preferences," says Brenden Lake, an assistant professor in NYU's Center for Data Science and Department of Psychology and one of the paper's authors.
. . .
Specifically, infants on Zoom watched a series of videos of simple animated shapes moving around the screen-;similar to a video game. The shapes' actions simulated human behavior and decision-making through the retrieval of objects on the screen and other movements. Similarly, the researchers built and trained learning-driven neural-network models-;AI tools that help computers recognize patterns and simulate human intelligence-;and tested the models' responses to the exact same videos.

Their results showed that infants recognize human-like motivations even in the simplified actions of animated shapes. Infants predict that these actions are driven by hidden but consistent goals-;for example, the on-screen retrieval of the same object no matter what location it's in and the movement of that shape efficiently even when the surrounding environment changes. Infants demonstrate such predictions through their longer looking to such events that violate their predictions-;a common and decades-old measurement for gauging the nature of infants' knowledge. Adopting this "surprise paradigm" to study machine intelligence allows for direct comparisons between an algorithm's quantitative measure of surprise and a well-established human psychological measure of surprise-;infants' looking time. The models showed no such evidence of understanding the motivations underlying such actions, revealing that they are missing key foundational principles of commonsense psychology that infants possess.

"A human infant's foundational knowledge is limited, abstract, and reflects our evolutionary inheritance, yet it can accommodate any context or culture in which that infant might live and learn," observes Dillon.

The research was supported by grants from the National Science Foundation (DRL1845924) and the Defense Advanced Projects Research Agency (HR001119S0005).

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It's almost as if there's more to sapient life than just a bunch of decision trees and flowcharts.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

super sweet best pal posted:

It's almost as if there's more to sapient life than just a bunch of decision trees and flowcharts.

obviously, we need to start modeling hormones to dynamically change the weighting of the nodes as well

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

quote:

Future work exploring infants' knowledge about the world could extend our general approach to investigate other aspects of infant commonsense psychology. Because BIB's tasks are procedurally generated and presentationally consistent, for example, new tasks could easily be incorporated into BIB's dataset. Future studies might explore expectations of agents' notions of cost and value (Jara-Ettinger et al., 2016; Liu et al., 2017) or recognition of agents' actions that might signal potential social partnerships (Meltzoff, 2007; Powell & Spelke, 2013; Schachner & Carey, 2013; Tomasello, 2018). While we show that learning-driven neural-network approaches already fall short of infant's common sense on BIB's existing tasks, such expectations will nevertheless become increasingly important for AI too as it becomes further embedded in real-world, multi-agent settings that demand common sense. Extending our approach can ultimately inform comprehensive accounts of infants' knowledge not only about agents, but also about objects (Lin, Stavans, & Baillargeon, 2022; Spelke, 1990; Stahl & Feigenson, 2015) and places (Hermer & Spelke, 1994), allowing us to more fully describe the origins and development of human common sense and provide an avenue for building the future of human-like AI.

begging these people to read gibson to understand that behavior necessarily emerges from a complex and richly structured environment instead of publishing this infantile :razz: garbage.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

embodied cognition ftw

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

embodied cognition ftw

the "embodiment problem" baffles me

bodies are stupid, weak, slowly rotting sausages. figure out how to ship of theseus us into a bunch of servers already, nerds

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Its gonna be a lot harder to craft the magic spell prompt that makes infants bypass their content filters.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Tree Reformat posted:

bodies are stupid, weak, slowly rotting sausages. figure out how to ship of theseus us into a bunch of servers already, nerds

never gonna happen. start hitting the gym 🖕

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol at funded by darpa

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I've been really enjoying the SEP entries for Artificial Intelligence and Connectionism (foundation of artificial "Neural Networks").
obviously very dense reading, but lol it's such a pleasure to read in great detail all of the unsolved (one might say unsolvable) problems with "AI"

Shear Modulus posted:

lol at funded by darpa

lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tree Reformat posted:

Literally impossible because your mind is not software and can't be independent of your body, sorry fat sweaty goon

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Literally impossible because your mind is not software and can't be independent of your body, sorry fat sweaty goon

Don't worry soon enough we're going to have very convincing simulacra of dead people with a sufficiently large social media footprint, and at that point some of those people are going to start committing suicide to live in elmo's promised land and trying to convince the legal system that their Character AI should be able to vote and own real estate

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Oldest Man posted:

Don't worry soon enough we're going to have very convincing simulacra of dead people with a sufficiently large social media footprint, and at that point some of those people are going to start committing suicide to live in elmo's promised land and trying to convince the legal system that their Character AI should be able to vote and own real estate

Cool, That's exact use case for the Memorial thread in QCS. It is why posters get permabanned when they die. Can you imagine the first post-mortem meltdown?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

Cool, That's exact use case for the Memorial thread in QCS. It is why posters get permabanned when they die. Can you imagine the first post-mortem meltdown?

It'll probably be Elon now that I'm thinking about it

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

The Oldest Man posted:

his will probably has an NDA attached preventing anyone from revealing his death (and leaving everything to some lovely "elon" chat bot)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Oldest Man posted:

Oh man yeah, it'll be prepaid to broadcast too. It's gonna be poo poo though so I'm imagining something like the FF8 boss that's locked up on the moon and just screams creepy angry characters over radio frequencies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2vnxubOv4o

But it's just his lovely reposts being boosted by all the bots he bought from the Twitter acquisition.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3OEHRpoDWw

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://clips.twitch.tv/WimpySnappyDadVoHiYo--oJ746N36GEfHqqg

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Skinner is now recreating the Uighur language using chlorine following a vision from God.

Watching this for more than 15 minutes at a time probably induces brain damage.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
That used to just be called "monkeycheese" humor

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
There's so much Dagoth Ur these last two weeks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7lRuUpTdU0

I like the sweet bro Dagoth Ur (the person) over the MLG Nwah saying Dagoth Ur (the building)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can AI art do accurate military hardware or does it like draw tanks with three turrets and poo poo

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

:thunk:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Perfect, no notes

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
lol look at this cute little guy :3

Morbus
May 18, 2004

porfiria posted:

I don't know--I mean, the truth is that a ton of writing (and programming) in a business or school context is extremely formulaic, if not pro forma. How many ways can you send an email about a meeting? Or write an essay about the Magna Carta?

It's unclear if more creative writing/complex coding will be subsumed. But we'll see.

Well I have some good news, the current LLMs which are the result of

-Tweaking NN architecture a bit in 2017 which magically took everything from total absolute dogshit to stuff like GPT
-Throwing a shitload of data at these new transformer networks and training on really suboptimal hardware

Will never get any better, especially in the next few years!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Morbus posted:

Well I have some good news, the current LLMs which are the result of

-Tweaking NN architecture a bit in 2017 which magically took everything from total absolute dogshit to stuff like GPT
-Throwing a shitload of data at these new transformer networks and training on really suboptimal hardware

Will never get any better, especially in the next few years!

I am too stupid and ignorant to be able to tell if this is sarcasm.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i feel like GPT generated poo poo can't be any worse than SEO poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

smarxist posted:

lol look at this cute little guy :3