Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

No Dignity posted:

What's the innocent explanation for the Metroid breeding program?

It's their fetish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
There should also just generally be huge interest in studying the things; even the Space Pirates have noted that their energy draining bullshit seems to contravene a lot of accepted science and neither the mechanism by which they drain nor the nature of the energy itself have been identified. It should be of equal interest to both mad science and sane science.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Metroid has never paid that much close attention and retcons things but also it's been relatively consistent in setting up that it's mostly the space Pirates that are complete assholes and the Federation isn't. It's just fusion that lead to a growth of "Fedeartion...secretly evil?!" along w Other M and the theorycrafting for the EMMIs going rogue in Dread. Only for it to turn out it literally had nothing to do with the Federation and they were seemingly above board and doing the only reasonable reaction to the X showing up which is sending in purely mechanical robots to isolate genetics, I assume for some kind of project checking for properties without having actual X parasites.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
Wasn't there a cutscene in Fusion where AI Adam is conversing with some shadowy Federation member who was like "SAMUS CAN'T FIND OUT ABOUT OUT OUR METROID BREEDING poo poo, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD"- or was that somehow made not suspicious or ominous in the JP release?

Pastel Candy Snake fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 21, 2023

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It was asking if they should fill her in and they go "nah". For the reason tthat Samus would want to kill them all immediately regardless of what the Federation claimed probably.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ChaseSP posted:

It was asking if they should fill her in and they go "nah". For the reason tthat Samus would want to kill them all immediately regardless of what the Federation claimed probably.

That's the secret message you get if you manage to chain shinespark your way out of Area 4 if I recall. Pastel is referring to the scene midway through the game where once Samus jumps in an elevator the scene jumps back to a nav room where Adam is talking to someone asking if Samus suspects anything and to keep him posted.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

Wasn't there a cutscene in Fusion where AI Adam is conversing with some shadowy Federation member who was like "SAMUS CAN'T FIND OUT ABOUT OUT OUR METROID BREEDING poo poo, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD"- or was that somehow made not suspicious or ominous in the JP release?

His webcam's ring light just wasn't working, jeez.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i mean realistically the galactic federation would be an insanely enormous organization and a lot of different parties with competing interests would be trying to push it in one direction or another so a simple "the federation are the good guys" or "the federation are evil" doesn't really work

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Honestly based on Super the funnier idea is Samus finding the dumb Metroid breeding thing and just going cool

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
"Sir the X are loose again."

"Call in Samus."

"Sir, she's refusing to work with us after the whole Metroid breeding programme thing."

"....How much does she want."

"30 Billion."

"Okay we can.."

"And a pet Metroid."

"gently caress it, with any luck they'll kill each other and we'll finally be able to breed our bioweapons in peace."

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

It's more or less the same.
Roughly
"Has Samus found out about our plan?"
"No, it hasn't been a problem."
"Alright, keep track of her activities."
"Understood."

BrokenLink fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 21, 2023

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Procrastine posted:

I'd love to hear more about the translation differences in Fusion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTuMfsWwd0E

this video isn't about fusion but it gets somewhat covered anyway. it's a good watch regardless if you're interested in TL stuff

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Should be noted, the person making that video made a few leaps in logic and some questionable translations that got argued over in the comments, so take what they say with a grain of salt.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Damnit now I want to go replay Dread :argh:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeeeeeeah that video has some interesting stuff but it's starting from the premise of trying to prove that no really guys Other M's story was actually really good, which leads to some, uh. Generous leaps.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The whole federation murder part could be the best writing in a game and everything revolving adam and samus would still make it the shittiest story in a Nintendo game.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I was looking at the extras gallery in Remastered and noticed a cute little thing, on the Auto Turret character model the sensor is green unless you spin the model directly at the camera, and then it flashes red like it sees you

What a neat little touch added to game absolutely chock full of them

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ChaseSP posted:

The whole federation murder part could be the best writing in a game and everything revolving adam and samus would still make it the shittiest story in a Nintendo game.

Adam's sacrifice and the scenes around it are still some of the most bafflingly bits of writing I've ever seen.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Beat Metroid Prime, 100% items 100% scans. Meta Ridley is a chump until he lands and then he’s a real rear end in a top hat. Metroid Prime was fine but I don’t remember his final form being such a pain. I do remember hating Fission Metroids and guess what, I still do!

The scan for Metroid Prime explicitly says that it came in the meteor and is the source of Phazon. I wish that they had kept some explanation for why it’s called Metroid Prime even though it isn’t a Metroid. The Chozo still refer to it as The Worm. The Space Pirates say they know there’s something in there but obviously Retro retconned it so they don’t make it into the crater which makes sense. But then MP has all of your beam weapons which was supposed to be from the Space Pirates but now it’s just like :shrug:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TaurusOxford posted:

Alternatively, download AM2R.

Didn’t AM2R get cease and desisted by Nintendo back before Samus Returns came out?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ChaseSP posted:

The entire story could be absolutely immaculate and the way they presented it would still be BAFFLINGLY incompetent.

The idea of "Samus is emotionally raw and feeling a lot of angst from both sides of the parental spectrum, losing both her childhood home and one of her last connections to her adoptive parents and the being that had imprinted on her as a mother and died to protect her, she's trying to parse through all these feelings while having an unpleasant reunion with her other pseudo-parental figure, Adam, and she unexpectedly runs into Ridley, the killer of her birth parents, when she really thought she had finally killed him for good this time, and it causes her PTSD to suddenly flare up." is a perfectly fine story beat. All of the ingredients are there. But unless you're a loser Metroid super-fan like me who's done poo poo like read the Zero Mission tie-in manga, you have absolutely no way to piece all of that together with what the game gives you. Samus just turns into an actual child when an enemy she's killed four times by that point shows up. It's just confusing. It sucks, because "Samus suffers a PTSD attack, then beats the gently caress out of Ridley anyway." should've been the coolest loving thing in the series. It certainly was when she did it in the manga!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Adam's sacrifice and the scenes around it are still some of the most bafflingly bits of writing I've ever seen.

We'll have Samus get shot from off-screen, people will think the Deleter got the jump on her, then we'll reveal it's just Adam!

Okay, but then why did Adam shoot her?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

MJeff fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 22, 2023

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Beat Metroid Prime, 100% items 100% scans. Meta Ridley is a chump until he lands and then he’s a real rear end in a top hat. Metroid Prime was fine but I don’t remember his final form being such a pain. I do remember hating Fission Metroids and guess what, I still do!

The scan for Metroid Prime explicitly says that it came in the meteor and is the source of Phazon. I wish that they had kept some explanation for why it’s called Metroid Prime even though it isn’t a Metroid. The Chozo still refer to it as The Worm. The Space Pirates say they know there’s something in there but obviously Retro retconned it so they don’t make it into the crater which makes sense. But then MP has all of your beam weapons which was supposed to be from the Space Pirates but now it’s just like :shrug:

It's really odd that they retconned the original release lore. A metroid wandering outside of pirate confinement and into the core was sloppy-ish, but given the info we get from Prime 3, it makes plenty of sense. New lore is just ???????????

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well because Retro called it Metroid Prime without realizing that Sakamoto was, parallel to their game, release new lore that said the Metroids were created by the Chozo and only existed on SR388 and never would've been on Tallon IV fifty years ago.

Communication between the Retro side and the Sakamoto side was, uh, never that great, I guess.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Didn’t AM2R get cease and desisted by Nintendo back before Samus Returns came out?

Yes, but it was released before it got properly C&D'ed, and once something's on the internet it's there forever. Plus some fans reverse-engineered the code and last I heard it's on version 1.5 with Android support and multiplayer and stuff.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
It seems like that they tried to retcon the Space Pirates reaching MP first despite the crater only having one entrance (honestly you could probably explain this away by saying the Pirates brute-forced their way to it with unsafe tunnels that Samus doesn't have the time to find or reliably navigate) and created more issues.

The lore on MP itself is also weird because at the very least, the official Trilogy Artbook still described it as a random Metroid that happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, but then you add so many other issues like how the Chozo only created the Metroids fairly recently within the past few decades for Raven Beak to be around both for their creation, and then for the tribe's attempts to seal the Metroids at SR388.

MJeff posted:

Well because Retro called it Metroid Prime without realizing that Sakamoto was, parallel to their game, release new lore that said the Metroids were created by the Chozo and only existed on SR388 and never would've been on Tallon IV fifty years ago.

Communication between the Retro side and the Sakamoto side was, uh, never that great, I guess.

at this point my head canon is that a random Chozo took a Metroid with him to Tallon IV, the leviathan seed falls, and "the worm" possesses the Metroid as the first thing it sees and boom, Metroid Prime

MechaX fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 22, 2023

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Asterite34 posted:

Yes, but it was released before it got properly C&D'ed, and once something's on the internet it's there forever. Plus some fans reverse-engineered the code and last I heard it's on version 1.5 with Android support and multiplayer and stuff.

Android support, Switch support, a built in randomizer, fusion mode, new game+, widescreen, higher quality music, etc etc etc...

There's also work being done to overhaul the entire game's graphics to get rid of all of the modified/lifted Zero Mission assets and to give the game its own distinct look.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There's always the out that apparently the word "metroid" is also an old chozo catch all for "warrior".

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

yeah the community updates are really good and easy to get just by going to the AM2R subreddit

Nate RFB posted:

There's always the out that apparently the word "metroid" is also an old chozo catch all for "warrior".

"the game is called Metroid, because the game's map is laid out like a metro"
"okay but why are the facehugger things called Metroids?"
"uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 22, 2023

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I love the interpretations of the zones AM2R has and overall they're more interesting than what was done in Samus Returns.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TaurusOxford posted:

Android support, Switch support, a built in randomizer, fusion mode, new game+, widescreen, higher quality music, etc etc etc...

There's also work being done to overhaul the entire game's graphics to get rid of all of the modified/lifted Zero Mission assets and to give the game its own distinct look.

How do you play it on the Switch?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There’s a good compare and contrast between the two that I remember from a while back. The gist of it was that both remakes had their strengths/weaknesses, and they didn’t really share the same strengths or weaknesses (iirc).

https://youtu.be/8WkEoYvlUF0

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it's best to just treat Samus Returns as a separate game altogether, it doesn't really make much of an attempt at recreating the original game's best moments

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I always thought Phazon meteor hits and starts eating planet.

Chozo who are enlightened get pulled back from enlightenment.

They seal the Phazon meteor even as their ability to see through time is going haywire.

They make the artifact temple with clues for Samus knowing where the artifacts will be when she arrives.

Much later space pirates show up with Metroids.

One gets loose, finds its way through the decaying barrier and starts chowing down on Phazon.

The space pirates, who are idiots, think it was there all along.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

Like all Metroid games, you play it on your Steam Deck.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

I always thought Phazon meteor hits and starts eating planet.

Chozo who are enlightened get pulled back from enlightenment.

They seal the Phazon meteor even as their ability to see through time is going haywire.

They make the artifact temple with clues for Samus knowing where the artifacts will be when she arrives.

Much later space pirates show up with Metroids.

One gets loose, finds its way through the decaying barrier and starts chowing down on Phazon.

The space pirates, who are idiots, think it was there all along.

It's probably this. Prime 3 makes a point of stating that the Leviathan seeds corrupt the strongest thing they can find to serve as a guardian. Presumably the Chozo managed to prevent this from happening until the Pirates, as usual, hosed everything up.

Can't really think of any native Tallon fauna that might fit the bill if there's no Metroids though, except maybe an adult Sheegoth or a Magmoor.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Xenomrph posted:

Have a hacked switch first off. Need a pre-July 2017 og Switch. Then dive down the hacking rabbit hole, find an AM2R switch build and install it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Xenomrph posted:

I don’t know what I’ve gotten myself into, but I’ve decided to do a timeline-order playthrough of the entire Metroid franchise. Some of it is a replay, some of it is new to me.

Right now I’m a few hours into Zero Mission (in lieu of the original Metroid), that’s a replay but it’s been like 10 years since I played it. I currently just got to the Ridley area.

I’ve got Metroid Prime Remastered on deck (first time playing) followed by Metroid Prime Hunters.

I’m going to skip Prime 2 and 3 for now under the assumption that they’re going to get remasters, too.

I’m also going to play Metroid: Samus Returns in lieu of OG Metroid 2.

I’ve actually never played Super Metroid, Other M, or Dread, but I have played Fusion (back when I played Zero Mission a decade ago).

Metroid Zero Mission CLEARED, 5:23:34, 62% item collection.

Onward to Metroid Prime Remastered!

MatchaZed posted:

Have a hacked switch first off. Need a pre-July 2017 og Switch. Then dive down the hacking rabbit hole, find an AM2R switch build and install it.

Oh yeah I have an OLED so I guess that’s out haha.

Can it be loaded on a hacked 3DS? I have one of those.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Bloody Pom posted:

It's probably this. Prime 3 makes a point of stating that the Leviathan seeds corrupt the strongest thing they can find to serve as a guardian. Presumably the Chozo managed to prevent this from happening until the Pirates, as usual, hosed everything up.

Can't really think of any native Tallon fauna that might fit the bill if there's no Metroids though, except maybe an adult Sheegoth or a Magmoor.

Lol the Metroid wiki says it was actually a Metroid, and cites the Metroid Prime art booklet from 2009, but the chozo lore says something along the lines of “the worm came with the asteroid that spelled our demise”.

Clearly the train wreck of a story being constantly edited is a metaphor for Samus’ DNA by the end of Dread :v:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
How is it that Retro perfected how to do a map for 3D spaces back in 2002 and absolutely no one has done anything similar. Prime/2/3 has the most easy to use, sensible and readable map in 3D game history and no one has ever even tried to rip it off. It’s not like “rotating 3D map” is a concept specific enough for Retro to copyright. What’s the deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I had a weird moment the other day where it dawned on me that Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal have very slight Metroid Prime vibes? Like as an FPS that makes traversal and traversal abilities pretty important, and I want to say there's a bit of the 3D map there too.