Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
A fascinating and eloquent letter, and interesting that he uses the 'holocaust' word in 1937.

I just had to google that and it seems Dachau concentration camp opened in 1933 and boycotts etc of Jewish owned businesses etc, and setting up of Gestapo also began that year. So I guess it may have been in the wind though whether the word itself was in use at that stage, I don't know. That said, I feel he was using the word in a wider context.

(source: https://www.museumoftolerance.com/education/teacher-resources/holocaust-resources/timeline-of-the-holocaust.html)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

killerwhat posted:

Thanks for this, it’s fascinating and impressive. Such a young man to be so well read, considered, and eloquent.

It didn't go unnoticed either according to his available personnel records. He was immediately earmarked for leadership when he arrived 'and should develop into a sound Company Commander with more theoretical training'. He was killed just over a month later. Such is war.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

A fascinating and eloquent letter, and interesting that he uses the 'holocaust' word in 1937.

I just had to google that and it seems Dachau concentration camp opened in 1933 and boycotts etc of Jewish owned businesses etc, and setting up of Gestapo also began that year. So I guess it may have been in the wind though whether the word itself was in use at that stage, I don't know. That said, I feel he was using the word in a wider context.

(source: https://www.museumoftolerance.com/education/teacher-resources/holocaust-resources/timeline-of-the-holocaust.html)

Yes I think it is certainly is being used in a wider context - it's just a somewhat eerie coincidence in that respect.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/matthancock/status/1627696148994576385?s=46&t=kyBwfBuUde338TdUtwN5GA

oh my loving god

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
BRB going to the pub and having a whip-round for Ukraine.

And thus, Total War was averted.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Darth Walrus posted:

oh my loving god

If there were ever a man that deserved to have all of his thought's painted onto a big red bus..

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
this man led the third-largest politcal part in england
https://twitter.com/timfarron/status/1628161772266946560

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Apraxin posted:

this man led the third-largest politcal part in england
https://twitter.com/timfarron/status/1628161772266946560

what? i'm barely religiously educated and i know that the gospels have a bunch of discrepancies, some events happen completely differently according to which one you're reading. i'm sure there are religious scholars who have tried to square that circle, and who knows, maybe they're right, but calling them "impeccably coordinated" is just asinine on its face

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
The gospels are absolutely not "first hand eye witness accounts", anymore than Boris' fake book about Shakespeare is. They're written in Greek FFS.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
On the other hand, they're not mysticism - that's the bits after the gospels.

So I think we can all agree there were mistakes on both sides and it's time to move on.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Gospel of John is full of mysticism, it's even referred to as the mystic gospel.

Luke and Matthew are both rewrites of Mark with their own magical add ons, nativity resurrection etc and we're both written a good bit after the life of Jesus. Mark is the only one close to what you could describe as 'eye witness'.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 22, 2023

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

what? i'm barely religiously educated and i know that the gospels have a bunch of discrepancies, some events happen completely differently according to which one you're reading. i'm sure there are religious scholars who have tried to square that circle, and who knows, maybe they're right, but calling them "impeccably coordinated" is just asinine on its face

He's not just a regular garden variety Christian, he's one of those super fundie ones

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Isn't saying "There’s nothing mystical about the gospels." a form of blasphemy against the Spirit itself, as recorded in Matthew 12:30-32, Mark 3:28-30, Luke 12:8-10, and 1 John 5:16 as the only unpardonable and eternal sin unto death?

There is a Tim unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Isn't saying "There’s nothing mystical about the gospels." a form of blasphemy against the Spirit itself, as recorded in Matthew 12:30-32, Mark 3:28-30, Luke 12:8-10, and 1 John 5:16 as the only unpardonable and eternal sin unto death?

There is a Tim unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

Who's Tim?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Fim Tarron

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mano posted:

Who's Tim?
A man that is no longer. Those who speak his name shall have their mouths filled with milk and gay frogs shall come out and cover the land.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Has there ever been a Tim who wasn't a wanker?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Isnt Tim Minchin alright?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tim Follin, composer of unnecessarily good chiptunes and writer/director of Contradiction: Spot the Liar

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

It's an impressive testament to the superficiality and irrelevance of the Lib Dems that it managed to have a leader that was genuinely loving mad for so long with most people not noticing

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Timothëê Chalamet seems alright for a lad named after a shampoo

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

keep punching joe posted:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

This is phenomenal and love to you for posting it. I'll share it as much as I can.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gorn Myson posted:

This is phenomenal and love to you for posting it. I'll share it as much as I can.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Simplistically put the Bible is meditation literature written in a style that isn't really used now, if at all.

It contains books of history, poetry, law and prophecy and is meant to be read many times and understood altogether, making it very difficult to pick out different parts in isolation and say they categorically mean this or that. To read it as wholly literal shows a lot of ignorance about what it is as a text, let alone as a spiritual text, however to announce that "various bits don't seem to line up and others are clearly nonsense therefore I have disproven it" is also pretty ignorant and buys entirely into the myth of progress. Ancient Jewish scholars didn't believe in talking snakes either.

If folk are serious about actually wanting to understand the Bible without reading a hundred theology textbooks I would recommend The Bible Project podcast - an in depth academic look at various biblical themes - its tone is quite neutral but is presented primarily by a believing professor of Abrahamic languages. It's not afraid to look at very weird parts of the Bible which can be amusing regardless of your viewpoint, you know like that time Noah got drunk and his son seems to rape him.

Sceptics may prefer The Liturgists podcast which is primarily focused on deconstruction - ie they mainly try to unpick the text and although there are believers involved they treat it as quite a human document.

Our own Ask/Tell religion thread is also pretty good nowadays, the dickheads mainly seem to have pissed off to that other site.

Quite.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 22, 2023

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm pretty sure he's been up to some sort of meltery relatively recently, though I can't remember if it's Jumbly Crumbum is Hitler stuff or TERF poo poo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Zalakwe posted:

If folk are serious about actually wanting to understand the Bible without reading a hundred theology textbooks I would recommend The Bible Project podcast

Seems like a profound waste of time when theres plenty of Star Trek podcasts etc out there

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

I'm pretty sure he's been up to some sort of meltery relatively recently, though I can't remember if it's Jumbly Crumbum is Hitler stuff or TERF poo poo

Ah well, nevertheless

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

Melt

Reverend Timothy Lovejoy, the minister of the First Church of Springfield, truly a wonderful guy.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Failed Imagineer posted:

Seems like a profound waste of time when theres plenty of Star Trek podcasts etc out there

Grace, the final frontier.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Star Trek is the opiate of the masses.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Zalakwe posted:

I thought that was heroin?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

forkboy84 posted:

In this economy?

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

They better not be putting any of those trans people in my Star Trek! They will regret this!!!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Zalakwe posted:

Star TrekMCU is the opiate of the masses.

Someone should tell Tim the MCU has more internal consistency than the good book.

Zalakwe posted:

They better not be putting any of those trans people in my Star Trek! They will regret this!!!

I remember hams getting up in arms when some authors decided that some tech-priests preferred to be non-binary (since they shared more characteristics with a room sized computer than a human at that point).

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 22, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Zalakwe posted:

Yeah it owns

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Someone should tell Tim the MCU has more internal consistency than the good book.

Takes longer to get through.

Z the IVth posted:

I remember hams getting up in arms when some authors decided that some tech-priests preferred to be non-binary (since they shared more characteristics with a room sized computer than a human at that point).

To be fair it is a bit inconsistent with all the fascism.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 22, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Z the IVth posted:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zalakwe posted:

Ancient Jewish scholars didn't believe in talking snakes either.

forkboy84 posted:

It's all going to be novel non-fentanyl opioids soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

What a quaint definition of "ancient".

More seriously though what's that from? A quick google hasn't helped me.