Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Skwirl posted:

If you wanna get loving weird with it, DC One Million and Grant Morrison's Batman

I would actually consider Morrison's Batman essential to Final Crisis. I always sandwich re-reading FC into re-reading Morrison's run as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Darth Nat posted:

But Countdown gave us BSS's favorite character of 2007, the sensational Forerunner! How could it be bad?

Is the first appearance of Forerunner worth millions of dollars yet so I can retire by selling it?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

istewart posted:

I would actually consider Morrison's Batman essential to Final Crisis. I always sandwich re-reading FC into re-reading Morrison's run as a whole.

It’s complimentary, but far from essential.

You also don’t have to read the Alpha Lanterns arc of Green Lantern.

Just read what’s in the Final Crisis trade/hardcover.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Planning to read it in Omnibus format, which AFAIK includes all relevant tie-ins. I actually just read the Alpha Lanterns stuff a few nights ago & read Morrison's Batman a year-ish ago. I'm open to reading the stuff that's more complementary/beneficial vs essential for the event, so will probably check out DC One Million, Rock of Ages and at least a few storylines from Kirby's Fourth World.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

srypher posted:

Planning to read it in Omnibus format, which AFAIK includes all relevant tie-ins. I actually just read the Alpha Lanterns stuff a few nights ago & read Morrison's Batman a year-ish ago. I'm open to reading the stuff that's more complementary/beneficial vs essential for the event, so will probably check out DC One Million, Rock of Ages and at least a few storylines from Kirby's Fourth World.

For just stuff directly influencing FC, I'd recommend Jimmy Olson #133-135, Forever People #4-7, and Miracle Man #8 and #15. New Gods is good too, but I can't think of anything that directly connects to FC.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Morrison's Batman dovetails into FC, and then after is probably my all time favorite Batman run other than the Jason Todd issue or 2 issues they did. Those were pretty bad from what I remember. Been a long while since I read them. There was also a nice Neil Gaiman Batman story right around the FC time frame.

New 52 derails their Batman story a bit, but Morrison makes it work as best they can.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Agreed, Morrison Batman and Robin is so good.

Tomasi and Gleason's Batman and Robin comes in a close second.

Return of Bruce Wayne is great, Batman Inc. is fantastic.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

What I mean to say is that if you have any interest in Morrison's Batman, reading it at the same time as Final Crisis will definitely carry more impact. Both the Batman RIP hardcover/trade and Morrison omnibus volume 1 conclude with Batman 682/683, which more or less lead directly into Final Crisis. (Reading order RIP + 682/683 -> Final Crisis -> first two? volumes of Batman and Robin)

Plus Batman's role in FC connects directly to who Dr. Hurt is and where he came from, Return of Bruce Wayne, and the later "missing chapters" of RIP (which were an amazing experience at the time, and enhance both the run as a whole and Final Crisis specifically).

I'm glad I've managed to collect all three Morrison omnibuses, although it is quite an expensive way to read the story. I'm thinking about finally getting a copy of Absolute Final Crisis, even though it seems like it only had the one print run. Last time I checked, there were quite a few new-old-stock copies on eBay.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The regular Final Crisis hardcover is everything you need. Grab Legion of Three Worlds if you want to see George Perez go ham.

The Morrison Batman omnibi are really good. Burnham drew Batman and Robin in my volume three, and it’s one of my favorite books on my shelf.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Showcase '94 issue #12 has an oracle story with an interesting sequence.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
When did Barbra Gordon shoot a secret service agent?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I'd assume in Suicide Squad?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
She did what now with the joker

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

She did what now with the joker

the joker blew her back out, what's there to misunderstand

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I think so. I was more interested in Dick as batman in this story. Idk when this would have taken place

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Hootington posted:

I think so. I was more interested in Dick as batman in this story. Idk when this would have taken place

I assume it's a future story.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It is not

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is it part of Prodigal where Dick briefly took over for Bruce after Knightsend?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm still focused on Barbra Gordon shooting a Secret Service agent.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

Is it part of Prodigal where Dick briefly took over for Bruce after Knightsend?

Could be. I haven't read that yet.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Picked up a cheap Batman #152 at half priced books. It has the false face society story and is a good story. Oldest comic I own now.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Showcase '94 #12 would have come out parallel to Prodigal, which is why the dialogue indicates Dick is Batman, not Bruce.

As for "shooting a secret service agent", that happened a couple of years earlier in THE HACKER FILES, a series about a hacker named Hacker. There was a whole plotline where a government agency was trying to crack down on hackers (and Hacker) and enlisted Oracle to help track down the bad hackers but the bad hackers had connections in the Secret Service so they broke into her place to confiscate her computers/woke her up at gunpoint to arrest/protective custody her and she (non fatally) shot the guy with a gun pointed to her head when she woke up.

(from The Hacker Files #5)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Was she still a former congressperson when this happened? It would lead to a hell of a headline

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I think the Congressperson thing is/was largely retconned (or at least ignored) post-Crisis. It's covered in her Secret Origins issue in 1987 that came out shortly before Killing Joke, but I'm reasonably sure it's never mentioned in Suicide Squad, and it definitely isn't in the Hacker Files appearance, she's only released from custody because the Justice League vouches for all of them and threatens to take it public and/or to the White House and as mentioned the whole operation was compromised/off the books so the Secret Service agent getting shot likely never made the press regardless of who shot him.

I'm not super well versed on other post-Crisis Oracle/Batgirl flashback stuff, but I can't recall her time in Congress being mentioned beyond the Secret Origins issue.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It has not been through 1995 as far as I have run across.

I read the Hacker Files last night. Not a bad maxi-series. Very 90s

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
World's Finest was a lot of fun this week and Nightwing was good as usual, though it was a bit more table-setting than usual.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Stargirl: The Lost Children #4 was pretty good. God I hope this all leads to these characters being "restored" to a multiverse earth.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I enjoyed that new Superman book. I think this character has potential.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Last night I learned that Darkseid once invaded Chinese heaven.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Siegkrow posted:

Last night I learned that Darkseid once invaded Chinese heaven.

This was a very good sequence.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/theoasg/status/1629263569760952323?s=46&t=dxZY15rIkh__-8NDx1vQ8w

Finally the comic where Superman goes to different chain restaurants in Japan will be legally available

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i forgot about that joker and baby batman manga lol i wonder how that ended up being

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

site posted:

i forgot about that joker and baby batman manga lol i wonder how that ended up being

It's very silly. I actually get Yakuza vibes from it in terms of how out of depth Joker is, but also how serious he takes it. Scanalations stopped just before Joker's encounter with Alfred.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

thetoughestbean posted:

https://twitter.com/theoasg/status/1629263569760952323?s=46&t=dxZY15rIkh__-8NDx1vQ8w

Finally the comic where Superman goes to different chain restaurants in Japan will be legally available

I recently got a set of the Superman set imported from Japan. It’ll be nice to have a set I can read.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I finally read Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow, and it’s probably on the upper tier of Tom King things I’ve read. Starts strong, kinda putters out by the end, like halfway through he remembered he only had eight issues and needed to wrap it up. Art by Bilquis Evely is next level throughout, and the Supergirl origin issue unexpectedly made me tear up! So props to the creative team there!

What’s frustrating is so few reviewers seem to note that it’s a take on True Grit, almost exactly. So many goodreads users are like “why are there so many captions? Why does Ruthye talk so weird” and it’s just a sad gentle reminder that so many comic book fans read nothing but comics.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I don’t think it’s a big deal if you know whether it’s a take on true grit. Because man is that not very interesting

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I finally read Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow, and it’s probably on the upper tier of Tom King things I’ve read. Starts strong, kinda putters out by the end, like halfway through he remembered he only had eight issues and needed to wrap it up. Art by Bilquis Evely is next level throughout, and the Supergirl origin issue unexpectedly made me tear up! So props to the creative team there!

What’s frustrating is so few reviewers seem to note that it’s a take on True Grit, almost exactly. So many goodreads users are like “why are there so many captions? Why does Ruthye talk so weird” and it’s just a sad gentle reminder that so many comic book fans read nothing but comics.

This is killing me, because when the issues were originally coming out I saw nothing but "Tom King does True Grit" reactions, and I guess the pendulum has swung the other way with people's no-context confusion.

Also, the miniseries was cut down to eight issues, so that semi-rushed conclusion is no accident.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Immediately recognizing it was a take on True Grit, my main reaction was "why did DC decide to publish a Supergirl story that was a retelling of True Grit?"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It was bad. Especially how Supergirl was like "oh yeah Krypto has been fine all this time lol" out of nowhere and Tom King has to have Supergirl's horse get killed, of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

It was bad. Especially how Supergirl was like "oh yeah Krypto has been fine all this time lol" out of nowhere and Tom King has to have Supergirl's horse get killed, of course

They killed her boyfriend?