Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm spinning up the Quake 2 chaingun as we speak.

e) yikes! What a snipe...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

As far as I remember, the emergency email was created for instances where the admin team hosed up and missed important things, including things related to user safety (e.g. offsite stalking/doxxing) in PMs/reports. Using it as a replacement for QCS isn't a good idea. Threatening to ban+30 me for discussing something related to user safety was an extremely bad idea, and I still can't believe that was posted.

I know this wasn't you, but this poo poo is just bizarre.

admins immediately jumping to the harshest punishment short of a permaban when a regular probe would have sufficed is something I hope that gets hashed out and talked about eventually because yeah, it's both bizarre and wildly stupid

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Rhino will probably be demodded soon but I don't know if he'll jump or be pushed.

hopefully he jumps for sanity's sake because the modding environment seems just absolutely deranged

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

the forums have a long and storied history of the dumb, thin-skinned fat guy arbitrarily doling out disproportionate punishments, and who are we to question such a precedent

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The admins got tired of being called out for their terrible decisions, so they closed QCS. Then the admins got tired of being called out for their terrible decisions so they closed the sagas threat. Then the admins got tired of being called out for their terrible decisions so they told us not to post here anymore and instead to email them. I look forward to the email being shut down. Me, personally, I might have thought about stopping making terrible decisions, but I guess just threatening to ban +30 people is easier.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

johnny park posted:

the forums have a long and storied history of the dumb, thin-skinned fat guy arbitrarily doling out disproportionate punishments, and who are we to question such a precedent

you aren't allowed to say fat and thin-skinned. that's a ban+30, unlike posting people getting blown apart by heavy munitions irl.

i think everyone on earth agrees the "instant ban for mod sass" era was insanely stupid but maybe bringing it back is just tradition

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My feedback on the last few days is that it's unbelievably awful that using the PYF feedback thread for feedback about PYF resulted in 30 day + bans or the threat there of. Not much the actual PYF mods can do about it.

As far as the thread thing goes: it's really weird that an admin didn't close it if it was in fact the admins who are allowed to tell you you can't reopen it. Lol. And that mod going to make an insanely lazy 'pyf zoos' thread that fluffdaddy spent like 7 posts in being insanely weird and hostile for absolutely no reason is, to be completely honest, absolutely buckwild flaming and trolling that is normally not tolerated in the grey forums so I'd like to see these two disruptive and hostile users get a probation. Thanks and God bless.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
QCS had issues and I think it's a legitimate problem that people apparently felt discouraged to post feedback for fear of getting flamed, but at the very least it encouraged the admins to actually talk with the users beyond threatening to ban them. Right now I see an admin posting like, once in a blue moon in ADTRW or something. I have never seen the site owner post since like that time he decided to probate 50 people for a week. They seem to have secluded themselves from the userbase and gone buck wild.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

it's really lovely that there is no place to discuss the state of the forums as a whole

QCS should be reopened and we should get the sagas thread back, which should be much less volatile now that people aren't needing to post their questions, comments and suggestions there

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Rhino please enjoy the rest of your vacation and don't think about forums stuff until you get back, none of this is life or death and it's way more important that you enjoy time with your friends/family and reduce the stress in your life.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
please just say you're closing a thread instead of implying that it needs to go take a nap

not aimed at anyone in particular. unless you say that kind of thing

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"brief, temporary time-out"

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I honestly don't think they closed it with the intention of keeping it closed. Fluffsaddy just showed up and escalated like crazy.

E: I'm going to keep that typo in

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
completely ignoring all of the sagas stuff, SPR was a good PYF IK and should have buttons restored. especially if they were taken away for giving seth a sixer because sixers aren't worth crying about. thanks for reading

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

500 good dogs posted:

completely ignoring all of the sagas stuff, SPR was a good PYF IK and should have buttons restored. especially if they were taken away for giving seth a sixer because sixers aren't worth crying about. thanks for reading

this

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

All I want to point out js Sally and myself wanted SPR to IK all of PYF and not just tbe Sagas thread, and I don't think a comedy sixer should get your buttons removed just because they're a mod.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

The sagas thread was completely fine until the GBS war psychos started threadshitting and starting arguments in it. Why weren’t they banned for inter forums drama or invasion or whatever?

Why was butthead banned when he was right about the rule violations and a bunch of the people he was calling out wound up being punished anyway?

What the gently caress is going on with this administration? Everything about this is loving stupid as gently caress and makes this site miserable to participate in

Also wasn’t it Jeff himself who told people that if reporting didn’t work, they should flame and make fun of gross posters? Why do people keep getting punished for doing that? Punishing whistleblowers is such a disgusting look

PS the sagas thread wouldn’t have been the gathering space for the above issues if QCS was open. Just the most juvenile, hostile, controlling bullshit from top to bottom from the mod and admin team of this site

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
how is the consuming war media thread the most sacred thread on somethingawful :dafuq:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

500 good dogs posted:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I got the tude now posted:

how is the consuming war media thread the most sacred thread on somethingawful :dafuq:

Maybe they say badass politics zingers if you get too nosy.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

PYF usually has a pretty light touch for punishment but I'm honestly never sure where the line is so all those bans yesterday felt like they came out of nowhere

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

500 good dogs posted:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
here's my feedback

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Sagas thread was kinda bad before the war thread posts but it would have been fine if QCS had been restored earlier.

People are going to have Q, C or S about the forums regardless and you can’t make them go away by just silencing them, and it would be cool if the mods/admins weren’t insanely patronizing about that in the future. :thanks:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

500 good dogs posted:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

500 good dogs posted:

this x100000. regular members are often told to get over it, it's just a sixer, slap on the wrist, who cares you big baby, etc. tell the same to your mods. if they're too thin skinned to follow the advice given to regular members, they're unsuitable for the position.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
My feedback is that I dislike the feeling that mods hold disdain for the users. I also dislike how tone deaf and myopic the mods can be a lot of the time. Very little effort is spent into looking into the context of things and absolutely no effort is spent to try to grasp the big picture or to view situations from different perspectives. Every single time the same poo poo happens, where any dissent is tossed away as concern trolling, any anyone speaking up gets a wake up shoryuken to their account and they spend 30 days in a stun animation. People are bringing poo poo up and making fun of others because no one takes the time to actually look into things and notice rotting, moldy corners of the forums.

This poo poo keeps happening and no one has learned a single thing about it other than trying to shut people up whenever this happens. When people go into a thread to make their first posts of "hey this thread is hosed up" there's typically a reason for it. That poo poo doesn't happen to benign threads like the watch thread, which is actually just insane anime trying to swing for the fences on a ng+ troll attempt. The chili thread in GWS doesn't get people going "yo dude it's pretty hosed up that you're using beans" and no threads in coupons are getting concern trolled. There is no such thing as concern trolling. No one that you think is doing concern trolling is a russian plant, no one is actually a russian, no one is actually chris roberts trying to shut down any dissent of star citizen.

I figured that things would change in the recent past but it's actually gotten worse. Before I would at least hear the rumblings of the sea and the R'lyehian chant that woke up lowtax from his slumber before accounts got annihilated. But now it's just worrisome to try to even make light of the situation and joke about americans getting offended by specific words.

So in the end, I would like to request some honest feedback and dialogue from the people doing multi-layered Okizeme on accounts. Because it's very clear you hate any sort of dissent and don't really think of situations beyond the first 30 seconds of viewing a report. I can only have the vaguest read on what you think about situations and some dialogue might help start repairing situations.

Spanish Manlove has a new favorite as of 02:07 on Feb 22, 2023

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Roth posted:

All I want to point out js Sally and myself wanted SPR to IK all of PYF and not just tbe Sagas thread, and I don't think a comedy sixer should get your buttons removed just because they're a mod.

500 good dogs posted:

I agree with these, will see how to resolve. AFAIK Seth never asked to have his sixer or spr 's buttons removed

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I got the tude now posted:

Gonna also :dafuq: on this but I don't read or want to care about that thread and how it operates, but this is unfortunately not the gbs feedback thread and... Idk if they have one lol

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

My feedback is that I dislike the feeling that mods hold disdain for the users. I also dislike how tone deaf and myopic the mods can be a lot of the time. Very little effort is spent into looking into the context of things and absolutely no effort is spent to try to grasp the big picture or to view situations from different perspectives. Every single time the same poo poo happens, where any dissent is tossed away as concern trolling, any anyone speaking up gets a wake up shoryuken to their account and they spend 30 days in a stun animation. People are bringing poo poo up and making fun of others because no one takes the time to actually look into things and notice rotting, moldy corners of the forums.

This poo poo keeps happening and no one has learned a single thing about it other than trying to shut people up whenever this happens. When people go into a thread to make their first posts of "hey this thread is hosed up" there's typically a reason for it. That poo poo doesn't happen to benign threads like the watch thread, which is actually just insane anime trying to swing for the fences on a ng+ troll attempt. The chili thread in GWS doesn't get people going "yo dude it's pretty hosed up that you're using beans" and no threads in coupons are getting concern trolled. There is no such thing as concern trolling. No one that you think is doing concern trolling is a russian plant, no one is actually a russian, no one is actually chris roberts trying to shut down any dissent of star citizen.

I figured that things would change in the recent past but it's actually gotten worse. Before I would at least hear the rumblings of the sea and the R'lyehian chant that woke up lowtax from his slumber before accounts got annihilated. But now it's just worrisome to try to even make light of the situation and joke about americans getting offended by specific words.

So in the end, I would like to request some honest feedback and dialogue from the people doing multi-layered Okizeme on accounts. Because it's very clear you hate any sort of dissent and don't really think of situations beyond the first 30 seconds of viewing a report. I can only have the vaguest read on what you think about situations and some dialogue might help start repairing situations.

This is a great post and will be completely ignored by the majority of mods/admins, along with Jeffrey. The problem isn't with a small segment of the posting population, you nutters, it has been stated multiple times that the problem is with you all and how you treat/act towards users.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I agree with these, will see how to resolve. AFAIK Seth never asked to have his sixer or spr 's buttons removed

thanks op

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Roth posted:

In fairness I was IK for the rest of PYF, it was just extremely rare that any of the other threads needed any modding beyond posting something like "hey knock that off". Sagas just got 90% of my modding attention because it blew up the most

Anyway my personal opinion is that this whole situation is dog poo poo, it sucks that rhino is getting hassled on his vacation but that's what you get being the only mod to exist or give a poo poo. I mean of the current non-rhino mods and IKs, three haven't posted here in months or moderated anything ever and the other only appears to gently caress things up and then vanish again?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Also you are a great mod Rhino, I hope you can hold out against the stupidity of your peers.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also in his extremely weak defense that he absolutely does not deserve, Seth always took the probes in the spirit they were intended

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Peachfart posted:

This is a great post and will be completely ignored by the majority of mods/admins, along with Jeffrey. The problem isn't with a small segment of the posting population, you nutters, it has been stated multiple times that the problem is with you all and how you treat/act towards users.

Skinner no it's the children who are wrong dot jay peg

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I get jeff wanting to wash his hands of QCS drama, especially after the goofy raging over a batch week probe that was kind of funny, but QCS is clearly still needed, it generated some incredibly funny owns even when mod action wasnt taken, and evidently people are still going to bring up issues even without it.

I confess that I didnt read much PYF besides the Saga thread, but SPR seemed like a good IK and should keep their buttons.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

yeah afaict Seth always took the sixers like a good sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

rodbeard posted:

PYF usually has a pretty light touch for punishment but I'm honestly never sure where the line is so all those bans yesterday felt like they came out of nowhere

It reminded me of what went down in the tech forum. I think there's a tendency in mods when there's a swelling of users being naughty or naughty-adjacent to crack down with way more severity. My feedback is that this strategy has never worked and in fact causes way more problems and resentment

Staff are volunteers and shouldn't be expected to act with professionalism at all times, but when you see users being emotional and volatile that's actually the time to be more chill and maybe even lenient. That'll do a much better job throwing water on the fire, which is better than throwing big barrels full of homemade napalm

anyway, sucks Saga died, though I think most everyone knew that it'd be nuked the moment it became even a little inconvenient to deal with. It brought a lot of different users together, but better than that, it was a cool place to discuss the site and its users. You have users who were good at finding actual quotes instead of relying on goon telephone, users who were literally there or involved in some events, mods and former mods shooting poo poo, etc. It's absolutely worth bringing back, and I hope they do