Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

PT6A posted:

Good news! Extremely not-racist Premier Legault is very not-racistly bitching about Quebec doesn't want any more foreigns coming in!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/asylum-seekers-quebec-roxham-road-1.6754271

His extremely not-racist worldview really shines through when he speaks about the protection of the province's extremely not-racist culture thusly:

Without debating whether or not he’s racist (because he probably is), he’s referring to francisation programmes that are offered freely to immigrants in order that they can have a functional level of French to get by in the province. In recent years wait times have been ballooning and the provincial government has been struggling to hit their goals.

Edit: uh I think that’s a bit of a leap of reasoning pt6a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Nine of Eight posted:

Without debating whether or not he’s racist (because he probably is), he’s referring to francisation programmes that are offered freely to immigrants in order that they can have a functional level of French to get by in the province. In recent years wait times have been ballooning and the provincial government has been struggling to hit their goals.

I'm an anglo transplant in Quebec and it's literally impossible to get french language instruction in my area. I wonder if this is why?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
The search function on the mobile La Presse website is a bit rough but I’m trying to find a good article that ran recently about some of the NGOs offering classes.

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 21, 2023

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

My understanding is that the funding isn't an issue there just isn't enough capacity for teachers, and apparently it's a seperate stream for immigrants and Canadians. I even have a French wife hitting the phones to try to get me in lessons somewhere nearby with no luck after a year of trying.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

COPE 27 posted:

I'm an anglo transplant in Quebec and it's literally impossible to get french language instruction in my area. I wonder if this is why?

Cynically, it's because any Québec government worth its salt wants:

1. To be perceived as doing everything possible to make people as French as possible.
2. Keep around enough convenient language-boogeymen to scare the regions into voting for the party that promotes their language dominance.

It's much more useful to have a bunch of people who can't speak, or won't speak, adequate French, than it is to make everyone French.

Foreign-language immigrants are an existential problem to the kind of person who believes all you need to do to be happy is speak French exclusively and hear less non-French, because foreign-language immigrants, by being here at all, prove that language is a tool that you switch, at will, to have a better life. You aren't going to be convincing the multilingual that one out of x of their languages is the eternal secret to happiness or the keystone of culture. You can definitely scare a unilingual into thinking that though.

Edit: Also does not help that we sacrificed a generation of teachers to COVID-19, without a care in the world for their concerns and health, and laughed at any one of them who was too stupid to find some other kind of employment.

pesty13480 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 21, 2023

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
When do we just nuke all of Canada?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Canada's a big country. You could save a lot of money by just nuking the five parts that anyone actually lives in

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The morons in Alberta and the morons in Quebec should be re-located to a nature preserve of sorts where they can enjoy their complete cultural stasis and leave everyone else well alone, instead of pretending that we all have to go along with their bullshit.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Can't wait to move to the Nukon Territories

e:

PT6A posted:

The morons in Alberta and the morons in Quebec should be re-located to a nature preserve of sorts where they can enjoy their complete cultural stasis and leave everyone else well alone, instead of pretending that we all have to go along with their bullshit.

Counterargument : battle royale

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

PT6A posted:

They already did that in Ottawa just over a year ago though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
We had a very real opportunity to just build a wall around Ottawa and save the rest of the country a lot of headache for years to come.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Justin Trudeau: "None of you seem to understand. I'm not trapped in here with you. You're trapped in here with me!"

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

McGavin posted:

Justin Trudeau: "None of you seem to understand. I'm not trapped in here with you. You're trapped in here with me!"

He is a master of disguise and can take on the appearance of any Middle Eastern or Indian ethnicity! They would never be able to track him down!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

Canada's a big country. You could save a lot of money by just nuking the five parts that anyone actually lives in

We can start with Southern Ontario then :)

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl

PT6A posted:

Mind you, I don't think he made the case the Quebec is uniquely burdened in this case

He is making that exact point, yes. There are many angry things you could accurately say about Legault's racist policies and statements, there's no need to mischaracterize them.

PT6A posted:

How do they compare to refugee arrivals elsewhere?

Asylum-seekers arriving in Qc outstrip those to the rest of the country by a lot. 99% of those crossing irregularly arrive in Qc, and 60% of all asylum-seekers (all arrivals). See here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mont...ly%20in%202022.

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 22, 2023

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

That article only says that they arrive in Quebec, not that they stay.

Its still a massive and uneven burden on Quebec's social services and Id say its fair for the Quebec government to be calling it out and saying that there needs to be way more funding and support. But to say that 99% of all refugee claimants stay in the province is inaccurate.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Yes, which is why I didn't say that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Maybe they want to stay there to experience the glory of French culture -- the best and most superior culture in the whole world.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Legault made it sound like they are all just staying in Quebec, not you. I was just using your numbers to make a very poorly worded point.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

Legault made it sound like they are all just staying in Quebec, not you. I was just using your numbers to make a very poorly worded point.

I do agree the distinction is important to point out. But the sheer number of arrivals still places strain on social service organizations.

From the same article I posted above:

quote:

In Montreal, Jean-Sébastien Patrice, the executive director of community food service MultiCaf, said the demand to help asylum seekers remains high.

Patrice said more than 700 asylum seekers are registered to receive services from his organization, up from 62 three years ago. The increase comes at a time when he's also seeing increased demand for his services from people struggling to keep up with inflation.

"We have a combined tsunami from the wave of asylum seekers and the continuing inflation," he said in an interview Thursday.

Patrice said he thinks transferring asylum seekers who want to go to other provinces could allow organizations like his to provide a higher level of assistance to those who remain, but that has to be accompanied by additional funding.

"It's easy to say that people fleeing difficult situations around the world are welcome here, but a structure has to be in place to accompany these words,'' he said.

Once asylum seekers leave temporary housing in hotels rented by the government, he said there's no concern from federal officials about where they end up.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh I know, I remember reading that article when it came out. It kind of blew my mind how much of the burden in Quebec specifically was falling down to the municipal and individual levels just due to the sheer scale of claims.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

And I was just trolling a wee bit, no worries.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

PT6A posted:

Uh...

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

He didn't say you couldn't join him.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

eXXon posted:

He didn't say you couldn't join him.

:confused:

In any case... I'm referencing this.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Raenir Salazar posted:

And we got gumbo and jambalaya for the effort

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Okay, so, in case it needs explaining: proposing that a bunch of reactionaries gently caress off and leave us all alone, is not quite the same as ethnic cleansing.

Whether it's Quebec or Alberta (or any of the other provinces because I'm sure the problem exists across the country, it's just that Quebec and Alberta are loudest about it), you cannot demand that natural change stop in its tracks.

If you want to be excepted from the evolution of the society and community you live in, I have no problem with it. I grew up in a town where a bunch of people had reached the end of their tether with modernity and lived up the side of a loving mountain without electricity. If that's the life you want to live, I say: have at it. But it's a two-way street, and you need to leave the rest of us alone at that point. If you want to speak French and never hear a word spoken in another language, and there's neither headscarves nor turbans, and there is always pork in the pork and beans, I bet there's a place for you. It doesn't need to be the entire province of Quebec, to satisfy your longing for a world that never really existed outside your own fantasies.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah I get what you mean, I'm not like, trying to be hard on you or anything. To be clear, more like a poke. :)

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

PT6A posted:

Okay, so, in case it needs explaining: proposing that a bunch of reactionaries gently caress off and leave us all alone, is not quite the same as ethnic cleansing.

When it's people I don't like then it's perfectly acceptable to round them up and force them to live on a designated spot away from us!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
french people are famous for dictating albertan policy

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Toalpaz posted:

I mean, ask rural Albertans about Trudeau Sr. and the NEP and they'd tell you something along those lines

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Toalpaz posted:

Those Laurentian Elites are on it. They are obviously the inverse of the Château Clique.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

DrBox posted:

When it's people I don't like then it's perfectly acceptable to round them up and force them to live on a designated spot away from us!

No one would be forcing anyone to do anything. These sad creatures are made unhappy by modernity, seeing brown people, religious pluralism, gay people, trans people, public health, and languages other than the one they already speak, and I think most of us are sick of arguing with them. I'm not saying put them in camps, I'm saying let them make separate communities where they can live the stupid way they want to, and we don't have to hear about it anymore. It worked for The Villages except they vote.

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
Bank of Canada may be FORCED to raise rates if inflation doesn't cool down guys:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/inflation-family-column-don-pittis-1.6750879

this will surely have an impact on this era of corporate profit-driven inflation and the cartels that form the core of practically every industry after decades of consolidation and deregulation, who can just keep raising prices forever because what are we gonna do, stop eating? stop driving? stop heating our homes?

meanwhile more people get forced out of their homes leaving them available for deep-pocketed landlords to scoop up further exacerbating the housing crisis, exactly as planned!

🙄

Internaut! fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 22, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Econ101 price discovery: If there's a ceiling on what the market will bear, we haven't found it yet.

Onward and upwards boys!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Furnaceface posted:

Oh I know, I remember reading that article when it came out. It kind of blew my mind how much of the burden in Quebec specifically was falling down to the municipal and individual levels just due to the sheer scale of claims.

Oh is it time for me to post this article again already

https://www.ledroit.com/2018/07/23/le-ghetto-syrien-dottawa-9c56c7ebe3a7eb332899e8d368a77a05?nor=true

quote:

Des dizaines de familles syriennes y vivent dans des logements souvent trop petits et mal adaptés. Des familles isolées de la société d’accueil, qui se parlent arabe entre eux, qui ne maîtrisent ni l’anglais ni le français. Avec des problèmes de dépression, de stress post-traumatique, de chômage. Beaucoup n’ont pas d’emploi. Et de moins en moins d’espoir.

Je vous le dis : ça ressemble à un ghetto.

J’y suis allé, un soir de semaine. Les enfants jouaient dans le stationnement à l’asphalte crevassé. Plus loin, des hommes fumaient sur le gazon, en buvant un café arabe parfumé à la cardamome. Les femmes ? Dans les logements, avec les plus jeunes.

Un autre Syrien s’approche. Il parle de promesses trahies. Il est venu au Canada avec sa femme et ses quatre enfants. Il a dû se résoudre à laisser sa mère derrière. Le gouvernement canadien lui avait dit qu’il pourrait la faire venir éventuellement. Mais aujourd’hui, on lui demande de trouver cinq citoyens canadiens pour parrainer sa mère durant sa première année au Canada. Une exigence irréaliste. « Avoir su, je ne serais pas venu, dit-il, amer. Ma mère est seule dans une tente, dans un camp de réfugiés, avec le cancer. Je lui envoie 100 $ par mois. De l’argent que j’arrache de la bouche de mes enfants. »

« Je veux m’intégrer au Canada, apprendre la langue, trouver du boulot, dit-il. Mais il faut nous donner une chance de vous côtoyer pour qu’on puisse s’intégrer. Or on nous a tous regroupés ensemble ! Ça va pas mal mieux pour nos enfants que pour nous. Eux, ils vont à l’école, ils apprennent la langue, ce sont de vraies éponges… »

1240 Donald never changes, so these people are already on the back foot, but there hadn't been fuckall done to help them integrate here; they can't learn an OL if they can't leave the apartments, they can't leave the apts because there's nowhere to go, and their only companions are other refugees and the usual local 1240/1244 residents who, being working-poor or on benefits, aren't in a position to help their neighbours directly... so they just sit in their ghetto and chainsmoke and wonder when the government's going to keep the rest of their promise. Like, it's great that they're here, that place isn't "nice" even if it is a drat sight better than a warzone, but gently caress, these people have NO chance because the programs needed to bring them online either don't exist or can't/won't give them meaningful help. And that's one apartment block of regular refugees, albeit a group brought in at an unreasonably hastened pace. Ottawa's social safety net would crumble instantly under the weight of a few months' Roxham Road traffic.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 22, 2023

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Internaut! posted:

Bank of Canada may be FORCED to raise rates if inflation doesn't cool down guys:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/inflation-family-column-don-pittis-1.6750879

this will surely have an impact on this era of corporate profit-driven inflation and the cartels that form the core of practically every industry after decades of consolidation and deregulation, who can just keep raising prices forever because what are we gonna do, stop eating? stop driving? stop heating our homes?

meanwhile more people get forced out of their homes leaving them available for deep-pocketed landlords to scoop up further exacerbating the housing crisis, exactly as planned!

🙄

Shits coming to a boil. My mum was telling me about the place she works at and without going into too much detail last year they dealt with maybe 4 people going bankrupt. This past month alone they've had 5 people go bankrupt. The lower end of the ladder is hosed and its only a matter of time before it comes for me.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

PT6A posted:

No one would be forcing anyone to do anything. These sad creatures are made unhappy by modernity, seeing brown people, religious pluralism, gay people, trans people, public health, and languages other than the one they already speak, and I think most of us are sick of arguing with them. I'm not saying put them in camps, I'm saying let them make separate communities where they can live the stupid way they want to, and we don't have to hear about it anymore. It worked for The Villages except they vote.

Look, if typing out these revenge fanfic scenarios is cathartic for you, keep going. Maybe the next one can include more logistical details. Do you plan load the undesirables up on trains to "re-locate" them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Apparently Canada has tons of space, so yeah, I'm pretty cool with sending the racists and transphobes off to live in northern Ontario.

And we definitely need to invest in better rail infrastructure too.