Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I really liked the plot in both horizon games. It was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

JBP posted:

I really liked the plot in both horizon games. It was fun.

I'll take missions from Mr. Reddick all day evry day

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Nuts and Gum posted:

I'll take missions from Mr. Reddick all day evry day

There’s people playing Destiny 2 where this is all that they do

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Arist posted:

I don't really care about the main plot but the backstory is fuckin amazing, wtf

Ya the backstory, setting, dino robots, combat for open world is all very good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Blind Rasputin posted:

Hogwarts legacy is 30 FPS with ray tracing on, and it hadn’t received any controversy about that at all. Goes to show how reactive gamers can be about frame rates

Explains why the game’s so popular with trace-enabling ray fans

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

mcmagic posted:

Christ the story in the Horizon games is soooooooooooooooooo bad

https://i.imgur.com/5rSC8ja.mp4

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Wow, this is wrong!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The story setup in the VR game seemed kinda interesting

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
After my brief jaunt with the Octopath Traveler II demo (quick trip report: the thief's intro was cool, the merchant's intro was cool and surprisingly meaty, the dancer's intro was short and boring, all were anime as gently caress) I returned to Elden Ring.

I've made it to just before the erdtree base in the capital so I thought I'd go back and more thoroughly explore the areas I'd mostly snuck past previously. Me and my trusty mimic killed the dragon in the swamp near the beginning, Commander Niall, the other dragon on the bridge in Caelid, a couple of mage losers in Caelid's ghosty magic town, a couple of beast losers in a cave near the Dragonburrow, and a second poisoned erdtree guardian nearby.

I did not kill any of the dozen dragons hanging around a giant dragon in the Dragonburrow itself, the insanely jacked gargoyle guarding the beast cleric (who is only hostile sometimes? possibly based on clothing?), or the insanely jacked bear in the cave underneath all the dragons. I still have yet to find a weapon better than the bloodhound sword despite ostensibly trying for a faith build, nor have I found anymore smithing stones to beef up the rusty anchor into anything really usable.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There’s a cool Faith scythe somewhere in the Weeping Peninsula

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Arist posted:

I don't really care about the main plot but the backstory is fuckin amazing, wtf

This but the opposite.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

:prepop:

I just finished the DLC for the first game last night to prepare me for the second game and I had such a different experience to you.

I beat the base game in release year and had a blast - needing to know everything about the old world and the new world and was incredibly satisfied.

Then last night I got more information and some lovely reminders of things I had completely forgotten from that original run. It was the same feeling of realisation and desire to know more that I got back then.

I love the acting and voice performances of the cast - the Frozen Wilds was another level.

Also the data sheets and the audio snippets from the past are done is such varied and affecting ways.

I cannot wait to find out where the tale takes me in the Forbidden West :3:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

veego moregameson you’re going to absolutely adore HFW

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Or be very disappointed! HFW’s plot is divisive lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Video Games is a datapoint reader and plot understander so he will like HFW.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I do love reading the data points!

All the stuff about Concrete beach party, culminating in the Banuk replicating their music right in front of me just after their note about me being the only one to hear, KNOWING that this music has been perpetuated for generations was a stunning bit of flavour that you could so easily miss. Just solid environmental world building.

Gimme stuff like that in a game and you have a lifelong fan.

Kilometers Davis posted:

veego moregameson

Also I really cracked up at this. Might be time for a new steam name :D

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

in the name of The Ten :911:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

exquisite tea posted:

Video Games is a datapoint reader and plot understander so he will like HFW.

the datapoints felt worse in hfw :(

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Played more Rogue Galaxy. Definitely helped to take a few days off after having binged on it for an entire day lol. I've actually been enjoying the 20 or so hours I've spent with the game so far. It's kinda interesting in that the only other Level 5 game I've played is Ni no Kuni 2 and I can definitely see the DNA of that game in Rogue Galaxy. It's dumb as gently caress and janky as hell but just goofy enough to keep me interested. Gonna make a good go at completing it before moving on to my next game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Horizon 1 has a competent, but pretty basic YA hero's journey thing going on but the backstory just gets more and more interesting until it totally hooks you. Horizon 2 is much sloppier, but I rarely didn't find it entertaining. It has a lot of good hooks but didn't totally deliver and I hated the ending, but it was still mostly good enough to keep wanting to play the game. Was just bummed cause I thought they totally shat the bed with the antagonists and the cliffhanger stuff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Your opinion of HFW's ending is mostly going to come down to how much faith you have in Guerrilla to ultimately deliver on what they've been teeing up this entire time through the backstory and datapoints. If you've gotten through both games and the two words Vast Silver mean nothing to you, then HFW's ending is going to seem like it came out of nowhere. If you're already tuned into all that stuff then you probably have a pretty good handle on what's going to come next, probably as soon as the Burning Shores DLC.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Your opinion of HFW's ending is mostly going to come down to how much faith you have in Guerrilla to ultimately deliver on what they've been teeing up this entire time through the backstory and datapoints. If you've gotten through both games and the two words Vast Silver mean nothing to you, then HFW's ending is going to seem like it came out of nowhere. If you're already tuned into all that stuff then you probably have a pretty good handle on what's going to come next, probably as soon as the Burning Shores DLC.

Lol those words mean nothing to me, but then again I'm not a data point guy or a plot understander

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

goblin week posted:

the datapoints felt worse in hfw :(

Oxx has said something a few times about how they’re worse and obv written by different people, I can’t really remember any substantial difference in quality personally but my memory for the original ones isn’t so hot

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I didn't like that they set up these ancient 1%er humans trying to take earth back once it had become viable again, which was interesting. And then revealed that they were actually just making a pit stop to pick up some luggage as they ran away from some rogue AI. Just felt like a super lame, random direction to go after they set up a pretty good premise. I also hated Ted Faro going from narcissistic CEO idiot to comic book super villain. All of that poo poo just rubbed me the wrong way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also no I did not care about the data logs or half the side poo poo in HFW in the way I did in zero dawn because there was just too much game and half of the side content was "my brother is lost, can u find him oh he was captured by robots 50 feet away from me. Let's kill the robots".

Zero Dawn is just so much more digestible than Forbidden West. It's way less bloated imo.

Forbidden West is gorgeous and still mostly fun with a lot of standout moments, but I did not find it endearing in the way I found the first game and mostly just wanted it to be done by the end.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I did a VR RE8 tutorial that showed me how to use a torch and nothing happened but I was pissing my pants anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't like that they set up these ancient 1%er humans trying to take earth back once it had become viable again, which was interesting. And then revealed that they were actually just making a pit stop to pick up some luggage as they ran away from some rogue AI. Just felt like a super lame, random direction to go after they set up a pretty good premise. I also hated Ted Faro going from narcissistic CEO idiot to comic book super villain. All of that poo poo just rubbed me the wrong way.

I felt the opposite way as you. I was worried that they were going to turn the Zeniths into some kind of omnipresent threat, which I thought would have ascribed far too much importance to a group of cowards who won a billion dollar lottery ticket off of Earth. To me that would undermine the entire purpose of Zero Dawn if after all that, it turned out a couple rich fucks escaped and successfully rebuilt humanity on their own. Instead they were revealed to be a bunch of megalomaniacal idiots who did nothing, predictably destroyed themselves, and now that they're all dead, Zero Dawn represents the only continuity for humanity. I think that's ultimately a stronger message than Far Zenith returning to lord over the primitive tribes of Earth, since their motives don't really make any sense if you take them at face value.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Played more Rogue Galaxy. Definitely helped to take a few days off after having binged on it for an entire day lol. I've actually been enjoying the 20 or so hours I've spent with the game so far. It's kinda interesting in that the only other Level 5 game I've played is Ni no Kuni 2 and I can definitely see the DNA of that game in Rogue Galaxy. It's dumb as gently caress and janky as hell but just goofy enough to keep me interested. Gonna make a good go at completing it before moving on to my next game

Rogue Galaxy was sort of Peak Level-5, meaning it carries the best/worst parts of their whole schtick at the time, so you will get approximately 20 hours per dollar spent to buy the game. I absolutely hated trying to just get to the end of the game because I was reviewing it at the time and was under the inevitable time crunch that entails, but if you dig what's going on and just soak it all in, I feel like it was them at their most comfortable with the tech and platform they were using at the time. There's a frankly ridiculous amount of game to play, but the loop you go through is more or less set after the first hour or so. I burned out because I was marathoning it, but you taking time off with the game is the right choice, I think.

exquisite tea posted:

I'm 50/50 on the chances of them pulling it off, and will happily add my voice to the chorus of folks that were so smitten with the first game's lore and incidental filler that I couldn't wait for the sequel and found it didn't hit nearly the same highs in revealing more of the past. I didn't fully appreciate the ending, I suppose, but I ran into the same kind of issue with Forbidden West that I did with Rogue Galaxy in that it just seemed to keep going if you were doing all the side stuff. It really threw the pacing of the game out of whack if you were doing all the side stuff as it opened up, but that's on me for being diligent about hoovering up all the extra waypoints before pushing the main story, so I can't fault the game for that.

Even with how overall disappointed with the sequel as I was, there's definitely something to that world and their attention to trying to elevate the presentation of even minor characters is really something to celebrate. I'm still fully on board with whatever's next, but... yeah, it really could go either way at this point. I hope they can stick the landing (and Burning Shores will be a good test) because both Zero Dawn and Frozen Wilds were really, really fun to experience, narratively.

[edit] Oh, gently caress I almost forgot to ask about VR2 chat. Is that something you guys are doing here? I've been absent from all the various threads for many years because work was a bear. As of about a year ago, I'm in a new job at PlayStation and am not completely consumed with work every waking second anymore, so I'm hoping to pop back in here and chat a little about poo poo. My name's not going to be in any game credits anymore, apparently, but at least I'm not going to have another heart attack (I hope) because of the stress.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 22, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I felt the opposite way as you. I was worried that they were going to turn the Zeniths into some kind of omnipresent threat, which I thought would have ascribed far too much importance to a group of cowards who won a billion dollar lottery ticket off of Earth. To me that would undermine the entire purpose of Zero Dawn if after all that, it turned out a couple rich fucks escaped and successfully rebuilt humanity on their own. Instead they were revealed to be a bunch of megalomaniacal idiots who did nothing, predictably destroyed themselves, and now that they're all dead, Zero Dawn represents the only continuity for humanity. I think that's ultimately a stronger message than Far Zenith returning to lord over the primitive tribes of Earth, since their motives don't really make any sense if you take them at face value.

Their motives at face value made sense to me. It's not exactly uncharacteristic of humans to view some territory as theirs, and the existing people there as collateral damage. Although their depiction was comically evil from the start which is one of my main problems with the game overall (see: Ted Faro).

The first game took a premise that seemed ridiculous and made it super relatable, maybe not totally believable but it worked. Forbidden West just felt kind of dumb to me. Like a Marvel movie or something.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

SamBishop posted:

Rogue Galaxy was sort of Peak Level-5, meaning it carries the best/worst parts of their whole schtick at the time, so you will get approximately 20 hours per dollar spent to buy the game. I absolutely hated trying to just get to the end of the game because I was reviewing it at the time and was under the inevitable time crunch that entails, but if you dig what's going on and just soak it all in, I feel like it was them at their most comfortable with the tech and platform they were using at the time. There's a frankly ridiculous amount of game to play, but the loop you go through is more or less set after the first hour or so. I burned out because I was marathoning it, but you taking time off with the game is the right choice, I think.

I'm pretty much ignoring all the side content and just concentrating on the story. I'm in chapter 8 now and I think a bunch of side stuff is starting to open up but I will most likely just ignore it all (like the factory minigame gently caress that haha). Its got a good vibe tho and I'm enjoying the aesthetic. So far this year I've bounced around to a bunch of different jrpgs from different eras that I had missed out on at the time and I'm really enjoying my time. In a way its sorta like walking though a museum of graphical styles and design choices. Rogue Galaxy has been an interesting one to look at

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

SamBishop posted:

[edit] Oh, gently caress I almost forgot to ask about VR2 chat. Is that something you guys are doing here? I've been absent from all the various threads for many years because work was a bear. As of about a year ago, I'm in a new job at PlayStation and am not completely consumed with work every waking second anymore, so I'm hoping to pop back in here and chat a little about poo poo. My name's not going to be in any game credits anymore, apparently, but at least I'm not going to have another heart attack (I hope) because of the stress.

Aw, welcome back! PSVR2 chat has mostly been happening in the dedicated thread.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Horizon is a nice setting with a pretty garbage story. I don’t mind the broad strokes of the plot but the actual scene by scene execution is hammy in a way that doesn’t work for me.

I wouldn’t mind as much if the narrative didn’t occupy such a high ratio of the game’s runtime. I wanna be shooting robo-dinos, so if you’re gonna make me click through dialogue to do that as often as HFW does then that dialogue had better be as compelling as the shooty bits.

But the very short list of games that I thought justified their use of long cutscenes are almost all directed by Neil Druckmann, so I am kinda picky.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I ignored all the story in horizon but the robot dinos were cool

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
wonder if i wait long enough they'll give out HFW for free like HZD. which i still havent played more than 5 mins of. one day tho...

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They basically just did on one of the plus tiers though so

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

History Comes Inside! posted:

They basically just did on one of the plus tiers though so

thought that was the 2 hour trial?

premium aint free tho :colbert: but i do like how sony will let you upgrade it at any time of the month, so if you're on a monthly normal psplus sub and theres like a week left, they let you pay a quid for premium lol

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No, that was just suggested by some random poster completely misunderstanding how the tiers work.

It’s on extra too, aka the only tier actually worth upgrading to over basic, not just premium.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pulcinella posted:

Atomic Heart:
Game is generally very pretty, is a rock solid 60fps, and has an absolutely huge amount of love poured into it. It’s probably part of the reason it took so long to make. There are loads of assets. E.g. tons of environmental posters; in game TVs play real Soviet cartoons; computers let you read emails (not unusual in a video game) but also list all the personnel that worked in whatever are you are in and include a photo a multi paragraph bio (I don’t think there is even in point to it or secrets to discover. It’s just added flavor. I ain’t reading all that though. The first area alone lists ~20+ different people and their biographies).
Unfortunately the game is absolutely tedious to play. There is the non-stop dialogue that everyone is aware of by this point and I am sure they went with Elder Scrolls Oblivion style “record the dialogue alphabetically” because the delivery of the main character’s dialogue some times does not match the situation at all. Worse though is just how slow and clunky it all feels. There is no sprint button. You character just slowly runs after a few seconds of walking. There is a dash button but it’s for very short distances. Enemies are damage sponges. Maybe it gets better as you go on and get more weapon upgrades, but it’s awful at the start. Also poor enemy variety at the start. It’s mostly just the basic mustache robots charging you head on. You can vacuum up crafting and upgrade materials, so you aren’t checking individual drawers, but then the developers went and added a million drawers to every room, so it actually takes longer to loot a room. Tutorial prompts are incredibly frequent and will pause the entire game, even if you are already doing what the tutorial prompt is trying to tell you. Controls are awkward (e.g. To activate detective vision you have to double tap and hold R1 for some reason. Just holding R1 just raises your hand to Hoover up items. But also holding R1 will force grab certain environmental objects, but only sometimes. Other buttons are so far unused.) and again, the dialogue just does not stop.
TL; DR: Skip, or at least wait for a big discount and a hopefully a few patches that fix some of the clunkiness (no sprint button and the slow run speed are crazy and I have no idea how the final game ended up like this. It must have been tedious as hell to QA anything).

I'm really having a fun time, the visual creativity and atmosphere are really something else, and the soundtrack is just so good. The sound design and haptics are a bit less impressive. The voice acting doesn't bother me one bit as I'm playing in Russian, tonally it feels fine as long as you don't mind reading subs, and all the posters in the world have hover-over text. Puzzles feel like a combo between Bioshock and the mechanisms of Alien Isolation, game def has at least light immersive sim elements. I'm still getting used to gunplay and I'm real glad they give you a shotgun right out of the gate because just like the Metro series aiming isn't all that easy. I started out on Hard but was just getting rolled over and over again so I bumped it down to Normal, I also found the quick switch button which helped. I mapped O to the right bumper which made dodging much easier, but overall after some fiddling with deadzones the controls make intuitive sense. Like you said, the attention to detail is simply fantastic, the little bespoke hyperviolent animations that play out for the abilities in the menu are an amazing combo of Vault Boy mixed with like Wile E Coyote. There are so many Metro style elements interactive elements and cinematic elements, there's a lot of bawdy/body humor, but also just some really bizarre sci-fi concepts like talking corpses and 'flying'-cars, and aqueous floating clear polymer rivers. I dunno, maybe the game tries to do to much, but I respect the ambition. If you like stuff like Bioshock, Prey, Metro, Alien: Isolation, Cyberpunk, etc and are interested in seeing it dressed up in Soviet-era garb then I think there's a lot to love here as long as you get over the initial hump.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Oh drat, long time no see :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Played Atomic Heart for a couple of hours last night, feels like a game I want to like more than I do but so far there's nothing awful about it (playing in Russian) and the design is carrying me through.

Also I accidentally played without the 65GB day one patch installed because the SeXbox will just let you do that without notifying you lol.