Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

But the imperial city is more tropical right

There's dragons in the canals there, right

Yeah, it doesn't even make sense lore wise.

Morrowind doesn't even have pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I consider saltrice to be sal-treece even though I know it's rice what grows in salt water. this is because CHIM

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SniperWoreConverse posted:

But the imperial city is more tropical right

There's dragons in the canals there, right

Oblivion was kind of a let down, huh

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Oblivion was kind of a let down, huh

i think it would be a hard sell to have a AAA dev studio make a faithful-to-lore jungle of a thousand gods cyrodiil even today, let alone on an xbox 360. plus todd wanted his boring whitebread lord of the rings ripoff game and they'd done daggerfall not all that long ago which basically covered all of the boring whitebread provinces, so cyrodiil got the axe

a drat shame though. hosed up that there's not even a single tsaesci character in oblivion

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I really destest the Skyrim book that was like "actually Talos hated the jungle and chim'd it away"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's pronounced saltrice.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, it doesn't even make sense lore wise.

Morrowind doesn't even have pizza.

Let me tell you something

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Imperial City pizza loving rear end

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

if you think a dunmer couldn't whip up a pizza out of saltrice flour, kwama eggs, and guar cheese i think you've underestimated morrowind cuisine

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Wtf is guar cheese? Is that some poo poo they put on pizzas in Mournhold? It's only pizza if it uses fresh scuttle.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
but really though why do the ogrim look so stupid, I keep running into them on Red Mountain and they do not fit the vibe AT ALL

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Orb Crabmelt posted:

but really though why do the ogrim look so stupid, I keep running into them on Red Mountain and they do not fit the vibe AT ALL

Milk the ogrim

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is the Ogrim thing just that, because they look more conventional, you notice how dated they are? I mean I think Ogrim are pretty cool :shrug:

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
They're big Shrek guys! Everything else on Red Mountain is a hosed up ash mummy missing parts of its face or blighted wildlife or something relevant to House Dagoth or the local ecosystem, but I've never seen any explanation as to why these big green dudes from Spyro the Dragon are stomping around. Dagoth Ur needs to get rid of these nerds before he can talk about kicking out the Empire!!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

They're from a different place of existence, sent by daedric princes to torment mortal. I agree they look dumb, but I put them in the same category as Dremoras, Winged Twilights and Clannfears.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Orb Crabmelt posted:

What's the deal with ogrim? They look so generic other than the nipple ring. It feels like a placeholder that got left in the game

They needed a big green monster race for Malakath after the Imperials recognised orcs as people.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah they're just Deadra. They hit like a truck and heal their wounds in combat. Aren't they aren't the short list of "worst things to get into melee with" alongside Dremora Lords and Ascended Sleepers? I think they're cool, but I suppose I'm just very simple, I also really like Ogres in D&D.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

They're good to level hand to hand to 100

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I love that every single ingredient in Morrowind isn't a real thing, except for precious gems and bread. Diamonds and emeralds and bread are the sole universal constants. Oblivion and Skyrim having poo poo I could actually buy at the store is a huge knock against them.

rat meat is real

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I joined House Telvanni and did some of the quests. I think I'm on the cusp of reaching Rank 5 (Mouth), which from what I read, is the point where you can start building a stronghold (which is good, because I've been storing all my stuff on the floor of the barracks room in the Balmora Fighter's Guild.

Speaking of, I'm still doing Fighter's Guild quests, and maybe it's just the first two quests Percius Mercius gives you, but it seems like the game is getting harder. I say this because the first mission (killing the necromancer in Vas) gave me a lot of trouble. It's mostly because the Greater Bonewalkers which have an attack that damages Strength, so if they hit you enough, your strength drops to where you can't move with all your gear. The next quest had me go to a cave (Sargon in Sheogorad) to get a bounty, and the enemies there were a lot tankier than the ones I've fought previously. There was also a mage who constantly summoned Greater Bonewalkers, which damaged my Strength down to 0.

In the first mission, I had to teleport out and take a trip to a temple to restore my attributes, and to Vivec to buy spells to restore attributes. I think I need to buy Restore potions in addition, because running out of Magicka creates an issue where if you get pinned somewhere you can rest, so you have to drop everything to escape.

In both missions, I used the Amulet of Shadows (the one you get from the bandits with the ring in the pond trap), and that allowed me to dispatch the last two enemies in the first mission with critical hits. I used it again during the second mission, and while I didn't really get many crits, for whatever reason, the AI's response to getting hit was to just run away. Since the enemies were taking a lot of hits, I used Righteousness (Absorb Health spell) and that seemed to take them out faster (I'm guessing because magic can bypass armor).

I'm wondering if I should take any steps to ensure smoother sailing onwards. I managed to get some good drops during the two missions (a Dwarven Greatsword during the first, Ebony Mail and a lot of items to sell in the second), but I feel like I need to invest in some additional counter-measures.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

If you browse the Mages Guilds and Temples and Imperial Cults you should be able to find the various Restore Attribute spells which reduce Greater Bonewalkers from crippling to merely annoying

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

I joined House Telvanni and did some of the quests. I think I'm on the cusp of reaching Rank 5 (Mouth), which from what I read, is the point where you can start building a stronghold (which is good, because I've been storing all my stuff on the floor of the barracks room in the Balmora Fighter's Guild.

Speaking of, I'm still doing Fighter's Guild quests, and maybe it's just the first two quests Percius Mercius gives you, but it seems like the game is getting harder. I say this because the first mission (killing the necromancer in Vas) gave me a lot of trouble. It's mostly because the Greater Bonewalkers which have an attack that damages Strength, so if they hit you enough, your strength drops to where you can't move with all your gear. The next quest had me go to a cave (Sargon in Sheogorad) to get a bounty, and the enemies there were a lot tankier than the ones I've fought previously. There was also a mage who constantly summoned Greater Bonewalkers, which damaged my Strength down to 0.

In the first mission, I had to teleport out and take a trip to a temple to restore my attributes, and to Vivec to buy spells to restore attributes. I think I need to buy Restore potions in addition, because running out of Magicka creates an issue where if you get pinned somewhere you can rest, so you have to drop everything to escape.

In both missions, I used the Amulet of Shadows (the one you get from the bandits with the ring in the pond trap), and that allowed me to dispatch the last two enemies in the first mission with critical hits. I used it again during the second mission, and while I didn't really get many crits, for whatever reason, the AI's response to getting hit was to just run away. Since the enemies were taking a lot of hits, I used Righteousness (Absorb Health spell) and that seemed to take them out faster (I'm guessing because magic can bypass armor).

I'm wondering if I should take any steps to ensure smoother sailing onwards. I managed to get some good drops during the two missions (a Dwarven Greatsword during the first, Ebony Mail and a lot of items to sell in the second), but I feel like I need to invest in some additional counter-measures.

I could feel myself, body, mind and soul be teleported back to 2002 reading this

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can recall playing on the xbox, being reduced to zero strength in Andrano ancestral tomb, and being unsure if this was a glitch, a game ending failure state, or simply me being too dumb to keep playing. It was kind of all three!

Maybe this weekend, or at least soon, I'm going to try again to get TR running seeing y'all trouble shoot it recently was reassuring because I certainly couldn't figure it out myself last time.

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010
This got retweeted today and I really can’t unhear it

https://twitter.com/mardirooster/status/1484033228994453505?s=46&t=8TL-4Q6z-CRyiKc7ymSjbw

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost

Xinlum posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QGVhUmQ0y8UdFQI75HyUvB0af-nD6QKT/view?usp=drivesdk

Alright here's a bajillion mods ready to go with step by step instructions for the entire install process. I've included some notes about mods to read up on before playing due to gameplay changes.

I am super curious to see if it works as easy as I think it will. Please report back!
I tried this on the deck, didn't get it to work the first time, then got it working on my PC which helped me figure it out on the deck (working now).

I installed morrowind via steam, so had to change the first line in openmw.cfg data paths from what you had (Heroic) to the steam install path. The data paths for the mods directories got messed up somehow in the transfer, so I also had to manually fix those in the same file. The openHUD files ended up in the wrong directory too (this I think was a function of the openMW install), so I moved those as well. If anyone else is really struggling on this I can dig up the specifics of where I had to deviate from your instructions.

Used steam link to do all of the deck operations via my PC, which made this much easier. Overall this is great, MW runs with almost the same performance on the deck as it does on the gaming pc (grated, locked to 40fps and the lower resolution). Thanks!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Jack B Nimble posted:

I can recall playing on the xbox, being reduced to zero strength in Andrano ancestral tomb, and being unsure if this was a glitch, a game ending failure state, or simply me being too dumb to keep playing. It was kind of all three!

Maybe this weekend, or at least soon, I'm going to try again to get TR running seeing y'all trouble shoot it recently was reassuring because I certainly couldn't figure it out myself last time.

ever since i wandered into the wrong door under vivec city i kept 1 stoneflower petal for luck

every character since then i keep some leaf or flower, something as a lucky charm, even if it's not that

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

kazr posted:

I could feel myself, body, mind and soul be teleported back to 2002 reading this

I kind of figured my problem was something that people asked about on the Morrowind forums back in 2002 or something.

I got the Restore Attribute spells. The encounters just made me think that I maybe needed to look into upgrading gear, or getting some spells that provide extra protection or really impact enemies (I'm kind of thinking in Baldur's Gate terms, where you've got enemy spellcasters who put up protection spells, and you've got to figure out what spell you need to bypass or disable the protection, and what protections you need to avoid getting hit with status effects). With the mage that kept summoning the Greater Bonewalker over and over, I thought maybe I could do the same and have Greater Bonewalker pin enemies by wrecking their Strength, but I don't have enough points in Conjuration to even summon a regular Bonewalker.

That said, after I made that post, I had a string of dumb luck. I went to do some of the Mage's Guild quest, and one sends you to a Dwarven ruin northeast of Suran. However, I ended up going more north than northeast, and I found a Daedric Ruin (Bal Ur). I got a couple of common soul gems filled with a Dremora Lord and a Bonelord, but I also ran into a Golden Saint, and I happened to have a Grand Soul Gem on hand. What's better, the Golden Saint had a Daedric Katana.

At the end of the dungeon, there was an altar with a Glass Helmet and Glass Halberd. Altogether, it's about 116,000g worth of spoils. I'm not selling the gems, but I want to sell the Glass equipment (since Spear and Light Armor are not skills I took). However, those alone are like 28,000, so I have to figure out how to liquidate it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Go see Creeper, sell him things that cost exactly 5k, rest 24hrs, buy back 5k and sell him 10k, rest, 15k, etc

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I find the mudcrab plus ebony shortsword (or spear) to be the best combination for selling high-value stuff.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

True, Creeper just has fast travel right there is all.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've never went out to use the special merchants, so I just keep a giant pile of glass+ weapons and armor littered around the floor in my found Balmora house.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I like the Creeper Moves Along mod, where he wanders around and you run into him randomly here and there, it makes it more fun. He seems to show up in Seyda Neen a lot early on, it's always a fun surprise.

Then again I have economy mods that makes selling to creeper not super useful ANYway but I'm a weirdo.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Sell all your trash to Ra'Virr and pay yourself using console command {player->additem gold_001 1000000}

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Was there a morrowind thread back around release?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Proletarian Mango posted:

Was there a morrowind thread back around release?

Looks like there were a bunch:

Ok, I got Morrowind, ask away.
Morrowind: The Fun Thread
Morrowind runs like poo poo on my system/Tech Support
Morrowind Stupid Questions thread

Browsing the 2002 games forum was a treat, I've got to say.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

from the tech support thread:

quote:

BAH! I asked in the other thread. But I'm wondering this is a BUG so it should go in the bug section... Unless you can SOLVE it...

Basically, I was fighting some monster and i kicked its rear end
but by the time I am done, I am frozen still and alone in the cave. According to the game, I have 0 strength and I have no way of moving even when i drop everything. Is this a bug? and Should i just restart?

yep classic 2002 issue

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

The Vikings posted:

I tried this on the deck, didn't get it to work the first time, then got it working on my PC which helped me figure it out on the deck (working now).

I installed morrowind via steam, so had to change the first line in openmw.cfg data paths from what you had (Heroic) to the steam install path. The data paths for the mods directories got messed up somehow in the transfer, so I also had to manually fix those in the same file. The openHUD files ended up in the wrong directory too (this I think was a function of the openMW install), so I moved those as well. If anyone else is really struggling on this I can dig up the specifics of where I had to deviate from your instructions.

Used steam link to do all of the deck operations via my PC, which made this much easier. Overall this is great, MW runs with almost the same performance on the deck as it does on the gaming pc (grated, locked to 40fps and the lower resolution). Thanks!

I'm glad you got it working! I highly recommend the Rise of House Telvani quests!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Vikings posted:

Wait how do you do this? I'm not really interested in playing Morrowind on it but I play a lot of emulators and stuff and it would be good to be able to configure it via my PC

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok - I've got TR Data and TR Rebuilt installed, I've registered my BAs. I'm getting two model missing errors, both for NPCs (I guess from MDMD?), but more worryingly, uh, I'm not in TR? Like should it change where I start. I'm just standing up next to Jiub like normal.

#Mod_Priority,#Mod_Status,#Mod_Name
"0000","+","Unmanaged: XE Sky Variations"
"0001","+","DLC: Tribunal"
"0002","+","DLC: Bloodmoon"
"0003","+","-Pluginless Khajiit Head Pack"
"0004","+","Apel rain replacer v 1_0"
"0005","+","Ashfall"
"0006","+","Better Dialogue Font"
"0007","+","Better Waterfalls"
"0008","+","Cave Drips"
"0009","+","Distant Thunder v1.1 (Scripted)"
"0010","+","Enchanted Item Cost Rebalance"