Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The Lord Bude posted:

Hopefully this sort of thing just accelerates the shift to the greens inner Brisbane is seeing.

Because everyone will be on drugs and have taken leave of their senses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

JBP posted:

Because everyone will be on drugs and have taken leave of their senses?

Inner Brisbane is already rapidly turning green. They have 3 seats at a federal level and 2 at a state level - I think they have a pretty good chance of picking up extra seats at the next state election.

Edit: and looking at polling data, greens primary vote has risen from 9.47% at the last election to 13% currently.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 22, 2023

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
if the greens don't win a few more seats next qld election it will be considered pretty disastrous

the obvious targets are cooper and mcconnel which are already fairly close, then greenslopes and moggill are much further off but still plausible

lih fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 22, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Honestly I’d be pretty delighted if Labor had to have a minority govt with the greens; considering that we have no upper house and some of the lovely things the government is doing around the edges - we can’t afford to let the libs in but at the same time I think labor needs a wake up call/someone to slap them when they want to do something particularly stupid.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Eediot Jedi posted:

shouldn't you be kingslanders by now

I thought "king charles" the other day and wanted to vomit.

Long live King Chuck

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Eediot Jedi posted:

shouldn't you be kingslanders by now

I thought "king charles" the other day and wanted to vomit.

Sounds like some kind of spaniel.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

The Lord Bude posted:

Honestly I’d be pretty delighted if Labor had to have a minority govt with the greens; considering that we have no upper house and some of the lovely things the government is doing around the edges - we can’t afford to let the libs in but at the same time I think labor needs a wake up call/someone to slap them when they want to do something particularly stupid.

I think its unlikely not only because the LNP have the shadow of Campbell Newman still hanging over them and a leader with ties to the real hosed up fundamentalist christians of the inland enclave towns but also because I don't really think the greens have quite enough headway in the suburbs to pull a significant number of seats. Weirdly I think if anything they might be able to pull a seat or two from the more progressive regional areas. There was a decent amount of presence in the scenic rim regions last election

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There is a Spectre haunting the Queensland LNP, the spectre of Frecklingtonism.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

More proof that Vic. Liberals won't form government in a long time.

After kicking out a bloke who said that abortion should be banned even in cases of rape, they double down by replacing him with someone who claims that babies are allowed in brothels, and that the ideals of Unity and Equality are bad extreme things.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/victoria/new-liberal-mp-uses-maiden-speech-to-slam-equality-taken-to-extremes-20230221-p5cmam.html

This US style culture war poo poo has been proven time and again to not work, and indeed be counter-productive.

Why do they keep trying it?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
ALP KAP minority will occur before the State ALP does a deal with the Greens lol.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

After kicking out a bloke who said that abortion should be banned even in cases of rape, they double down by replacing him with someone who claims that babies are allowed in brothels, and that the ideals of Unity and Equality are bad extreme things.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/victoria/new-liberal-mp-uses-maiden-speech-to-slam-equality-taken-to-extremes-20230221-p5cmam.html

This US style culture war poo poo has been proven time and again to not work, and indeed be counter-productive.

1) Because they listen to the vocal minority that contacts them to back up their own worldview.
2) Because they actually believe it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

They can't give up now! They're so close!

lih
May 15, 2013

she's bernie finn's protege lol. they really expelled finn just to replace him with his preferred successor

Anidav posted:

ALP KAP minority will occur before the State ALP does a deal with the Greens lol.
in an alp minority scenario i'd expect them to not do any formal deals and just try to negotiate every bill individually, but it depends on the numbers - in some scenarios kap wouldn't even be a potential path to pass bills

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I think its unlikely not only because the LNP have the shadow of Campbell Newman still hanging over them and a leader with ties to the real hosed up fundamentalist christians of the inland enclave towns but also because I don't really think the greens have quite enough headway in the suburbs to pull a significant number of seats. Weirdly I think if anything they might be able to pull a seat or two from the more progressive regional areas. There was a decent amount of presence in the scenic rim regions last election
there doesn't need to be much of a swing against labor for them to end up in minority, especially if the greens win a few seats off them, and there's two that are already close with the greens (mcconnel and cooper) where they did very well during the federal election. then there's other potential greens targets in greenslopes, moggill, and even miller which could be winnable depending on resources available. there really aren't any remotely winnable seats for the greens outside brisbane and the party certainly doesn't have the resources to waste on trying elsewhere.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I think at least one of their most likely pickups in inner Brisbane is LNP held?

lih
May 15, 2013

moggill and clayfield are the only lnp-held seats that are really potential greens targets at all next state election. neither is the most likely but moggill is a reasonable possibility. the lnp are just pretty weak in brisbane in the state parliament.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
gently caress the reserve bank, gently caress it's leader and entire board and fire them before people start building guillotines.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-22/wages-growing-at-3-3-per-cent-december-quarter-2022/102007390

quote:

Australians have experienced their largest real wage decline on record, with nominal wages growing by 3.3 per cent in 2022, well below inflation of 7.8 per cent.

The Wage Price Index (WPI) rose by 0.8 per cent in the December quarter, lifting annual wages growth to 3.3 per cent, according to new Australian Bureau of Statistics data.

It means the annual pace of wage growth increased slightly by the end of December, up from 3.2 per cent in the September quarter, which was smaller than expected.

And that means the 'real' value of wages declined by 4.5 per cent in 2022, the biggest deterioration on record.

Strike that. Start investing in guillotines. Prices can only go up up up!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

like babies are allowed to partake in the brothel thing or a dad drops the baby off in the brothel playpen while he gets serviced kind of thing?

e: by partake i mean breastfeeding not icky stuff

Regular Wario fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 22, 2023

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

is an 18 seat swing really not a big deal? it seems like a lot

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Comstar posted:

gently caress the reserve bank, gently caress it's leader and entire board and fire them before people start building guillotines.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-22/wages-growing-at-3-3-per-cent-december-quarter-2022/102007390

While I have zero sympathy for the reserve bank or Lowe one slightly mitigating factor for them is they have been routinely saying (with increasing emphasis and urgency) over the past decade that there was a limit to what cutting rates would achieve in terms of economic/wage growth, and many of the most pressing economic drivers needed actual government policy action. It’s also true that basically the LNP made bad decision after bad decision, cut after cut, and the ALP has barely started on a repair job let alone progress on the bigger changes required. What would have improved wage growth? If five years ago we lift led the dole and pension significantly and loosen requirements (as this will create a higher floor and stimulate demand), strengthen industrial relations law (eg sector level bargaining), kill off capital gains tax discount, rebuild vocational education. Then we possibly wouldn’t have needed bottom drawer rates with no room to move but up and people would have had more of a wage cushion for inflation, instead of being twenty years behind already when it catches up.

There is good data that people who were entering the workforce around the time of the first GFC haven’t had a real wage increase since then, wage growth has been concentrated especially amongst older employees and within a few key sectors. A huge percentage of the population has had no real wage growth for most of their working lives. So yeah Lowe/reserve bank sucks but they’ve also been pleading with the government to not be the only economic lever in actual use. As usual of course ALP has both inherited the LNP mess and they clearly don’t feel to have the political capital to do much, witness the stage 3 cuts and Chalmers cautious signals on super tax incentives (which, as exceeding the pension, are also ridiculous).

Given the tight labour market they should just ramp up the dole and tax the poo poo out of the upper end of town, at least as step 1. It won’t help the inflation but a ton of that is out of control anyway. Then we need an actual housing strategy, but lol.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

theyre not going to increase the dole in real terms lol

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
And they’ve jacked up migration, that’ll keep wages down.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
No of course they won’t, it’s just what someone would do if they wanted to improve wages and well-being!

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Comstar posted:

You know the reserve bank has basically nothing to do with wages, right? The reserve bank has exactly one economic lever and that is the interest rate. I'm not suggesting that the reserve bank has done an amazing job or anything, but the people actually responsible for this, politicians from both sides of the fence are really, really happy that the reserve bank is taking the heat for their policy choices.

The gutting of labour's bargaining power over capital is why wages are dropping in real terms at an all time high, not the interest rate being 25 basis points higher.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wish they'd move stage 3 cuts up to this budget I need the cost of living relief.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
i wish they'd relieve your posting

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

shalcar posted:

You know the reserve bank has basically nothing to do with wages, right? The reserve bank has exactly one economic lever and that is the interest rate. I'm not suggesting that the reserve bank has done an amazing job or anything, but the people actually responsible for this, politicians from both sides of the fence are really, really happy that the reserve bank is taking the heat for their policy choices.

I am fairly sure the reserve bank's own modeling keeps predicting wage increases that do not occur. It's one of the biggest reasons they give for raising interest rates!

Also, record profits are never mentioned.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

shalcar posted:

The gutting of labour's bargaining power over capital is why wages are dropping in real terms at an all time high, not the interest rate being 25 basis points higher.

If you read the article, it's largely about the RBA governor's bashing on about how inflation has been driven by wage growth and people spending. When in reality wages have slipped backwards and it is profiteering companies spending up big. It is not at all about the RBA keeping wages low, it is entirely about the governor being a disengious dickhead.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Konomex posted:

If you read the article, it's largely about the RBA governor's bashing on about how inflation has been driven by wage growth and people spending. When in reality wages have slipped backwards and it is profiteering companies spending up big. It is not at all about the RBA keeping wages low, it is entirely about the governor being a disengious dickhead.

I had already read the article and I was pointing out that Comstar's rage against the reserve bank was misguided. The article itself calls out that inflation is being supported by companies being able to pass on costs to preserve profits due to a lack of market competition, among others.

Comstar posted:

I am fairly sure the reserve bank's own modeling keeps predicting wage increases that do not occur. It's one of the biggest reasons they give for raising interest rates!

Also, record profits are never mentioned.

Even if wages were not forecast to increase the reserve bank would be raising rates. Yes, the messaging from the reserve bank parrots the lines that both sides of politics have adopted but that's hardly surprising.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

It's interesting the real wages decrease because Aussies are some of the most expensive people to hire. A role that will pay (net of local taxes) USD130k per year (say an artisanal supervisor level) to an Aussie for will be $110k USD for a brit, yank or a EU candidate (maybe a bit lower for the yank), $50-70k for a South African, Ghanian, Filipino or Indian and about $30-40k for a local West African national. For a tradesperson (heavy diesel mechanic, high voltage electrician, etc), an Indo or Filipino will earn about $20 k a year which is cheaper than employing local nationals, but local employee development is obviously the bigger priority. Not sure Aussie rates relative to other countries is dropping though.

The covid lockdowns were always going to have dramatic effects on cost of living so it doesn't surprise me it has gone this way. Energy and fertilizer costs due to the Russian invasion of Ukraine is probably the single largest other cause of inflation.

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 22, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Salaries for particular groups that are already buffered against rate rises have also gone up a lot more than the national figure. So you have people with high incomes that have increased 10+%, lots of savings and property equity not moderating at all while the poorest eat the poo poo sandwich on their behalf.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

JBP posted:

Wish they'd move stage 3 cuts up to this budget I need the cost of living relief.

Wish they'd stage 3 cuts some politicians heads off

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

mycrimes.mp3

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

like babies are allowed to partake in the brothel thing or a dad drops the baby off in the brothel playpen while he gets serviced kind of thing?

e: by partake i mean breastfeeding not icky stuff

I think she was arguing that infants were allowed on the premises. (Which is not true, nor likely to become true unless some insane new laws/regulations pass).

But given her nutbar right-wing arseholery, she was probably trying to insinuate that brothels around the state are allowing little Timmy in for a 1/2 hour with a happy ending after daycare.

Which would indeed be a bad thing were it true. But it isn't.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

is an 18 seat swing really not a big deal? it seems like a lot

In a brothel?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I think she was arguing that infants were allowed on the premises. (Which is not true, nor likely to become true unless some insane new laws/regulations pass).

But given her nutbar right-wing arseholery, she was probably trying to insinuate that brothels around the state are allowing little Timmy in for a 1/2 hour with a happy ending after daycare.

Which would indeed be a bad thing were it true. But it isn't.

Either that or got the idea that Ichiban Kasuga's backstory was real and common.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
What's this about the seating arrangements of a brothel?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Thats a lot of sex swings

Better make sure the roof is rated to hold all of them

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Anidav posted:

What's this about the seating arrangements of a brothel?

I hope it isn’t fabric seating that would be a bitch to clean cumstains out of.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Thats a lot of sex swings

Better make sure the roof is rated to hold all of them

Not many studs in a brothel.

The Lord Bude posted:

I share an underground carpark with a strip club. there was a cool purple velvet couch left in the car park one night.

got within 6ft of it and it was apparent that there was no saving that particular couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

The Lord Bude posted:

Gotta put a welding mask on when you use a black light