Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Make bagels and you will see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Am I weird for not liking my ninja blender? It handles ice like a champ, but it won’t blend down raspberry seeds at all, and it’s leaving my harissa way too chunky. Is this really the best option under a vitamix?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Yes, but that's not an issue with the ninja as much as the vitamix is *just that good*. At the same time people forget that vitamixes are not in the same category as ninjas. They are commercial products, their competition is Waring Commerical and the likes.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The problem is that ninja goes slower than normal blenders. It blends soft things almost as good as a Vitamix, but only because of its extra blades that stir and smash clumps, and because most folks are blending frozen berries or cooked soups, not because it's fast enough to break down everything.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The Vitamix is pretty much the best blender. So much so that it redefined the blender definition and what one could be expected to do.

The Ninja Professional is just the best blender for under $200. It and 99% of other blenders cannot achieve Vitamix results.

Except the Ninja smoothie jar attachment for the Professional. That little guy absolutely powders everything I have ever put in it. I grind spices and small batches of nut butters in it, and in less than 30 seconds, they are as smooth as anything from the store. Perfectly smooth and uniform.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I am looking for some digital scales, but first, a story.

I've used various cheap Amazon coffee scales for a while - measuring down to 0.1g, however I always found them quite slow to update. I'd add a bit and have to wait a moment for the registered weight to actually update. Sometimes it also felt 'sticky' where you'd add bit by bit by bit then suddenly it'd go up by several increments.

This all changed when I got a Timemore Black Mirror Basic Pro - it has the accuracy it it's really quick to update. I want this for a regular scale.

Is there a general kitchen scale I can get which will replicate this? Or am I being stupid and just need to use the coffee scale for everything?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have the timemore you have and it's slower to update than my $12 Amazon scale so I actually don't even use it (for espresso). Sorry for the link but I'm phone posting:

Gram Scale 0.01 NEXT-SHINE Rechargeable Digital Mini Pocket Size Kitchen Series Scale 500g Multi-Functional High Precision for Cooking Baking Jewelry Weighing Coffee Beans Postal Parcel https://a.co/d/62OJMIt

It's Amazon.ca and that listing is down but you should be able to find it sold by other people.

e: is it actually too small and low capacity for cooking though I wonder?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

VelociBacon posted:

e: is it actually too small and low capacity for cooking though I wonder?

That'd be my issue with the Timemore - I use scales for making bread so I want something that can do more than 500g (1KG would be enough). I also think a coffee scale would be too small to see under a mixing bowl.

Regarding the speed to update, the 'pro' version of the Timemore scale claims it is quicker and I can't imagine anything being quicker than this, it updates instantly. Unless there's variation in quality between units.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Kitchen timers!

Do you actually have to do a full wind before setting it to the time you want? Or does a low wind just make the "DING" really quiet?

Basically I would like I timer that I could set to like 3-15 minutes without doing a full wind, but as long as I keep it next to me I'll hear the ding.

(Yes I know all about digital timers and smartphone timers. That's something I'll experiment with after trying a windup.)

FaradayCage fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 13, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

That'd be my issue with the Timemore - I use scales for making bread so I want something that can do more than 500g (1KG would be enough). I also think a coffee scale would be too small to see under a mixing bowl.

Regarding the speed to update, the 'pro' version of the Timemore scale claims it is quicker and I can't imagine anything being quicker than this, it updates instantly. Unless there's variation in quality between units.

I have the "TIMEMORE Black Mirror BASIC+" and it's nowhere near instant, maybe 250ms delay or so. It's very noticeable and it's crazy to me that my cheapass $12 amazon one is so much better. The Timemore also is so sensitive to like putting something down on the table beside it, I find the auto timer useless because just touching the espresso machine (ie to start the shot) actually starts the timer. Also stepping from one foot to the other in front of the hutch the scale is on (no I'm not kidding).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

FaradayCage posted:

Kitchen timers!

Do you actually have to do a full wind before setting it to the time you want? Or does a low wind just make the "DING" really quiet?

Basically I would like I timer that I could set to like 3-15 minutes without doing a full wind, but as long as I keep it next to me I'll hear the ding.

(Yes I know all about digital timers and smartphone timers. That's something I'll experiment with after trying a windup.)

Usually most “analog” timers require you to wind past a certain point to “prime” the timer, then you can reduce to the actual time you want. Having said that, analog timers are very imprecise and I’d use a digital timer if seconds matter (eg, poaching eggs, etc).

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
So I ended up grabbing this bad boy as a timer:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VPCBRK7?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Mostly because it has all the increments I need for brewing tea, searing meat, and I guess the 10min for just remembering to check on something that may be simmering.

I like the fact that it sets automatically when you flip it. IMO a lot better than pressing the minute button several times and then pressing start. (Keep in mind I drink upwards of 10 cups of tea a day.)

For other specific times I can rely on my microwave, thermometer, or phone.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Named timers on Alexa are the best.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I yell at my phone to remind me to get the tea/stir soup/drain pasta at the correct time

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

I yell at my phone to remind me to get the tea/stir soup/drain pasta at the correct time

“Set a timer for [#] minutes” and “set an alarm for ##:##” is basically the only thing I use Siri for

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have a Kitchenaid mixer and I want to use it for bread dough. My problem is that I have a 4.8L mixer and I make a 500g loaf, but I find that the dough just ends up wound round the dough hook, not being mixed or kneaded. Is there anything else I can get to address this? I get that making a larger batch might help, but I wouldn't be able to fit any more in my current dutch oven and I wouldn't end up eating more anyway.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Slightly higher hydration maybe? Even wrapped around the hook it probably is kneading, you just gotta let it go longer.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Higher hydration would work, but I figure that'd alter the end product - and if I use high hydration I could just make a no-knead variant. This is wrapping round the hook to the extent that it wasn't really touching the sides - I could see it wasn't being mixed because I had a wholemeal pre-ferment in there which was not being incorporated at all.

I just wondered if there were any third party dough hooks that might be any better. If not, I might get a bigger dutch oven since I kind of wanted to anyway.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'm heavily tempted to get a zojirushi rice maker, but I already have a perfectly good 3qt instant pot that makes all the rice I want (albeit with a bit more finessing)

Is there any sense in getting it or am I just lusting after another gadget to clutter my cabinets?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
The instant pot makes kind of bad rice and the zojirushi makes the best possible rice, but a lot of people are fine with kind of bad rice

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Zoji keeps your rice at perfect eating temp for days and days it’s loving great if you frequently just want a cup of rice with some of Serious Eats chili crisp on it which if you don’t want that then you are a sicko.

e: maybe cheaper Zojis don’t do that but mine does

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Higher hydration would work, but I figure that'd alter the end product - and if I use high hydration I could just make a no-knead variant. This is wrapping round the hook to the extent that it wasn't really touching the sides - I could see it wasn't being mixed because I had a wholemeal pre-ferment in there which was not being incorporated at all.

I just wondered if there were any third party dough hooks that might be any better. If not, I might get a bigger dutch oven since I kind of wanted to anyway.

You could always make a double batch and either cold ferment half of it in the fridge for a tastier bread five days later, or freeze the second half and then you don't have to make more dough for your next loaf. All depends on how quickly you go through the bread but I wouldn't bother trying to find any gimmicky third party dough hook.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Speaking of KitchenAid mixers, I made pizza dough a couple weekends ago and so much stayed stuck to the walls and bottom that I had to do a lot of scraping.

I saw the OP recommends a Better Beater or something with spatula fins or some such sorcery; does that work for dough or only lighter-duty stuff?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

That's what I do with pizza dough, it actually tastes better after a week in the fridge. Always just have a ball or two just chilling in there, I don't even knock it back until I need it.

I've heard that the more solid beaters will work, but it can burn the motors out.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I posted here a while ago looking for wooden spatulas and the thread recommendation was oxo. Somehow I was still overcome by every other possible choice and in my state ended up buying an upmarket Littledeer one from Williams Sonoma as well as a Williams Sonoma Signature metal flipper and holy poo poo they are awesome. They were expensive but should last a long rear end time and are a pleasure to use. No regrets.

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 17, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is the scrub daddy legit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyg-yYiDJ2M

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

my fiance likes the scrub daddy because it doesn't get clogged up with hair and dust as easily as a sponge and it makes it easier to clean faucets due to the fact that it has holes through it. i did find it pretty effective at loosening up built-up grime, but i didn't like how it couldn't really soak up water and just sort of smeared it around, and left a white film over everything, so i still personally prefer an old fashioned sponge.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I prefer Dobies, personally, although the blue non-scratch sponge is my personal fav

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I've only used Scrub Daddies for years. I like that the firmness changes depending on water temp, so you can run cold water to scrub harder. Plus they don't sit full of water like sponges do, and they don't leave Sponge Smell all over your hands. Sponges get nasty as gently caress, Scrub Daddy don't.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I didn't find the scrub daddy good enough to buy regularly over the blue scotchbrites you can get in bulk at costco. Zapping your sponge in the microwave for 90 seconds every now and then will minimize sponge smell, too

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I have a chest freezer that came with my house and my goal is to prep enough meals to justify turning it on. I’ve been making two 8 qt pots of chili at the same time … but even this is inadequate. I need to go bigger. My question is, what are the limits of a consumer grade electric range? Is it able to evenly heat a 16 qt stock pot that is most of the way full of chili? How about two at the same time? I assume at a certain size pot, only a commercial range can handle the pot. Leaning toward https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-gourmet-accessories-stockpot/

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kreeningsons posted:

I have a chest freezer that came with my house and my goal is to prep enough meals to justify turning it on. I’ve been making two 8 qt pots of chili at the same time … but even this is inadequate. I need to go bigger. My question is, what are the limits of a consumer grade electric range? Is it able to evenly heat a 16 qt stock pot that is most of the way full of chili? How about two at the same time? I assume at a certain size pot, only a commercial range can handle the pot. Leaning toward https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-gourmet-accessories-stockpot/

I'd you're looking for other reasons to turn it on, I'd be buying meat whenever it's significantly on sale and freezing it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7202184382663183643

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

VelociBacon posted:

I'd you're looking for other reasons to turn it on, I'd be buying meat whenever it's significantly on sale and freezing it.

And get a vacuum sealer, I’ve had good results keeping meat frozen for 3 years

In my personal experience year 4 is when the fats go rancid

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

kreeningsons posted:

I have no answer to your actual question but the ultimate purpose of a chest freezer is a half cow. Or a quarter, if it can’t fit a half.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

My chest freezer uses $27 of electricity per year, so buying just one or two ingredients in bulk entirely pays it off.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

My chest freezer uses $27 of electricity per year, so buying just one or two ingredients in bulk entirely pays it off.

Wtf…here I was thinking it would cost ten times that amount in electricity. If mine is in the same order of magnitude, then I can’t justify not using it. I don’t eat meat but I am already proficient at putting away veggie burgers, soup, chili, oatmeal, bean/lentil dishes, and am going to experiment with pre mixed smoothie kits, tofu, dough of various kinds, and salad dressings.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

kreeningsons posted:

Wtf…here I was thinking it would cost ten times that amount in electricity. If mine is in the same order of magnitude, then I can’t justify not using it.

They're crazy efficient, yeah.

Only downside is that they're so tempting to put stuff on top of.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Bread freezes and defrosts very well, if you see it on end of day sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I remember homemade seitan freezing pretty well. It’s nice to make a lot during the cool season and have seitan and tomato sandwiches in the summer time.