Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

videogames are good sometimes

its unfortunately not exactly what i want (i lust for the gentle touch of autoloading holster instead of clown cartridge) but it's pretty drat solid in the meantime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

Double post because the more I read into the post the more I feel this is a far lesser issue than thought.

To account for Surges and Overcharges they have increased enemy health and ability to be staggered. How much, we don't know. Could be 5%, could be 100%, no idea.

With the way Surges have been specified to work they increase the elemental damage of the SURGIN element. So if we're rolling Strand (all season) and Void then we're getting +25% damage to abilities of that element as well as weapons of that element.

It seems a little restrictive, until you add in Overcharged weapons. These explicitly do NOT stack with SURGIN. Overcharged weapons also give +25% damage. Kinetics receive the boost if your subclass is a SURGIN one. But that doesn't mean that you need to be SURGIN to get the Kinetic boost. This is because they have specified Overcharged weapons come from Artifact Champ weapons and activity selection.

Given we get roughly 6 artifact weapon archetypes each season (and I expect that to continue) then at least six archetypes are going to receive +25% damage increases, regardless of Kinetic or Energy and regardless of the element type. And again, this doesn't stack when you're SURGIN, so you're getting the boost from being a champ weapon OR from SUGARIN.

And then there's activity weapons. It could be one archetype, or two (as Dares has sometimes), so we're probably getting at least one additional archetype that gets a big boost.

Between all these as far as weapons go it will probably be difficult to not get a 25% buff to all weapon damage. The real pain is whether you get the boost to your ability damage based on whether your subclass is SARGIN or not.

And until we know how much health they're giving the enemies we don't know if it's even an issue.

Overcomplicated for no reason.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

RBX posted:

Overcomplicated for no reason.

I am not going to argue that at all lol

But as far as damage issues go, I don't see them coming up. You'd have to avoid activity weapons, seasonal archetypes and any weapons that match the acute burn SURGE which is gonna be pretty hard to do.

Why they made it this complicated I have no loving idea tho, because at the end of it the result is "if you use one of the three archetypes that also don't match one of two elements AND isn't kinetic then you miss out on a boost". Seems simpler to just... not have a boost to either damage or enemy health, but I guess we'll see.

Also note that the seasonal playlist has been specified to not use Overcharged weapons, so it *will* require matching the subclass type, which makes sense that they want the season to fully integrate with Strand.

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

So are they changing the pinnacle grind or what? I ignored it this season entirely and didn’t really miss the added power since I’m casual and don’t really do raids or grand master.

I might interact with it more if it was actually guaranteed to give you something with a bigger number than you already have.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Seems kinda weird to have their seasonal shuffles in the dps charts (next season's Linear Nerf, Machine Gun Buff) but then also have a seasonal Weapon That Does 25% More Damage

Like what if Linears are +25% next season

Or what if it's Swords and that makes MVoG and M KF a nightmare

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

But as far as damage issues go, I don't see them coming up. You'd have to avoid activity weapons, seasonal archetypes and any weapons that match the acute burn SURGE which is gonna be pretty hard to do.

The problem is, this is another Choice You Make In Orbit -- plus, when it's this complicated, there's no way people who don't use mods / don't know how to choose subclass fragments / don't understand armor elements / etc, will understand why they get more damage sometimes and not at other times.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

FART BOSS posted:

So are they changing the pinnacle grind or what? I ignored it this season entirely and didn’t really miss the added power since I’m casual and don’t really do raids or grand master.

I might interact with it more if it was actually guaranteed to give you something with a bigger number than you already have.

This season the pinnacle grind didn't even matter as they lowered the bar for entry to the powerful cap. I wouldn't be shocked if it's the same next season. I have no idea what the pinnacle cap is meant to even do at this point outside of maybe day one raids.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Seems kinda weird to have their seasonal shuffles in the dps charts (next season's Linear Nerf, Machine Gun Buff) but then also have a seasonal Weapon That Does 25% More Damage

Like what if Linears are +25% next season

Or what if it's Swords and that makes MVoG and M KF a nightmare

Yeah, I got no idea. Like I said, I am assuming they're just trying a bunch of poo poo to see what works and what doesn't, and wouldn't surprise me if they turn things off and on over the course of this year's seasons to tune things.

The post mentioned that Nightfalls get "one featured overcharge weapon" and Raids/Lost Sectors get "one overcharge weapon". Whether that means NFs get one additional and Raids/LS get only one (excluding champ ones) I dunno. I would guess they mean they get an archetype in addition to the Artifact Approved(TM) weapons because Dares specifies "two overcharged weapons".

Dares and Wellspring also specify "weekly rotating surges" so I have no idea if that means the static Strand + Void/Solar is tied to all Surges in all activities, or specific to Vanguard stuff.

Could really use some more information, basically.

Roctavian posted:

The problem is, this is another Choice You Make In Orbit -- plus, when it's this complicated, there's no way people who don't use mods / don't know how to choose subclass fragments / don't understand armor elements / etc, will understand why they get more damage sometimes and not at other times.

Yeah, I am speaking mainly about the people that would read a thread like this. Randos are gonna have a rough time, but then they have a rough time figuring out mods in general so I won't even pretend I have a solution there.

The whole system seems a little overly complex for no real reason tho. Just don't buff enemy health and don't include surges/overcharge weapons, would make the most sense to me.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It might make a little more sense in action, but I imagine the point of surge/overcharge is to try to make buildcraft shift from season to season a little beyond them making a single mod or two like Weaken Clear or Particle Deconstruction.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Kith posted:

videogames are good sometimes

its unfortunately not exactly what i want (i lust for the gentle touch of autoloading holster instead of clown cartridge) but it's pretty drat solid in the meantime

:grin:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah I understand what they're going for, I have no idea how practical it's gonna be in play.

Also considering the seasonal battleground playlist part says "Weekly rotating Surge (same one as Vanguard Ops Playlist)" I'm starting to think each activity is gonna do it's own Surges and Overcharged weapons. Which means the seasonal weapon types will be ole reliables and we'll be swapping subclasses and weapon types based on activity per week.

Which could be fun or loving tedious! Let's find out in a week :dance:

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

syntaxfunction posted:

Double post because the more I read into the post the more I feel this is a far lesser issue than thought.

To account for Surges and Overcharges they have increased enemy health and ability to be staggered. How much, we don't know. Could be 5%, could be 100%, no idea.

With the way Surges have been specified to work they increase the elemental damage of the SURGIN element. So if we're rolling Strand (all season) and Void then we're getting +25% damage to abilities of that element as well as weapons of that element.

It seems a little restrictive, until you add in Overcharged weapons. These explicitly do NOT stack with SURGIN. Overcharged weapons also give +25% damage. Kinetics receive the boost if your subclass is a SURGIN one. But that doesn't mean that you need to be SURGIN to get the Kinetic boost. This is because they have specified Overcharged weapons come from Artifact Champ weapons and activity selection.

Given we get roughly 6 artifact weapon archetypes each season (and I expect that to continue) then at least six archetypes are going to receive +25% damage increases, regardless of Kinetic or Energy and regardless of the element type. And again, this doesn't stack when you're SURGIN, so you're getting the boost from being a champ weapon OR from SUGARIN.

And then there's activity weapons. It could be one archetype, or two (as Dares has sometimes), so we're probably getting at least one additional archetype that gets a big boost.

Between all these as far as weapons go it will probably be difficult to not get a 25% buff to all weapon damage. The real pain is whether you get the boost to your ability damage based on whether your subclass is SARGIN or not.

And until we know how much health they're giving the enemies we don't know if it's even an issue.

Oh my god these clowns

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

syntaxfunction posted:

Yeah, I got no idea. Like I said, I am assuming they're just trying a bunch of poo poo to see what works and what doesn't, and wouldn't surprise me if they turn things off and on over the course of this year's seasons to tune things.

Ninth year of the franchise is a great time to be doing this and not at all reflective of large structural issues with design and work flow.

Although Lightfall is effectivly going to be what, like Destiny 5? For all intents and purposes this game never really left beta. The Final Shape isn't an expansion title it's just something they are hoping will qualify as a 1.0 release.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Final shape will simply be the old tower renovated. Only now with IKEA office furniture everywhere and bland corporate motivational posters.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DancingShade posted:

Final shape will simply be the old tower renovated. Only now with IKEA office furniture everywhere and bland corporate motivational posters.

The seasonal artifact is an allen wrench

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

You need spike grenades in the second slot to do damage.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

"Hey we heard Match Game feels restrictive and irritating. We have an idea :). What if match game but for subclasses? What if two of the five subclasses were just nerfed by 20% for an entire season :)" Monkey paw meme real I guess. Incredible. Haven't seen them gently caress up a design decision this bad since sunsetting. They're so worried that people might just find a thing they like to play and not branch out, but constantly trying to force the issue is just completely rear end backwards. Novelty and variety are good! But they shouldn't be compulsory.

But it's okay, apparently, because they can rotate what subclasses are good weekly/seasonally. gently caress me sideways I didn't think they could do anything stupider than when they said they were pumping the brakes slightly on crafting instead of leaning into it. "Would you like cherry or orange? Here's a hint. I pissed in orange. But you can choose it if you want. Look at your options! We offer many options. Next week I'll piss in the cherry instead, so if you like orange, just come back later."

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
While I agree with the sentiment I want to point out that giving buffs to certain subclasses and archetypes is not the same as nerfing others. It is still not good, and a weird rear end design choice, but a bit misleading to refer to it as a nerf. It's also not even close to match game, I dunno why everyone keeps conflating the two.

I understand what they were going for: hey, we've added deltas and made enemies harder to kill and stagger so the game is more challenging! To help you out we're giving big buffs to a load of archetypes from the seasonal artifact, plus some for each activity, and we'll buff some rotating subclasses! Isn't that helpful? We can make it more challenging but you can get an advantage building into the rotations!

Again I get it, again I don't see this as the most sensible choice in the world, but until we get a chance to play it (in like six days) I'm not gonna assume the sky is falling. Unless we play it and it really super sucks. Then yeah, I'll bitch about it too.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Making the game harder without adjusting rewards is gonna backfire. Not gonna make me do nu lake of shadows that's longer for another bad roll of a sidearm or a cloak drop.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

syntaxfunction posted:

While I agree with the sentiment I want to point out that giving buffs to certain subclasses and archetypes is not the same as nerfing others. It is still not good, and a weird rear end design choice, but a bit misleading to refer to it as a nerf. It's also not even close to match game, I dunno why everyone keeps conflating the two.

I understand what they were going for: hey, we've added deltas and made enemies harder to kill and stagger so the game is more challenging! To help you out we're giving big buffs to a load of archetypes from the seasonal artifact, plus some for each activity, and we'll buff some rotating subclasses! Isn't that helpful? We can make it more challenging but you can get an advantage building into the rotations!

Again I get it, again I don't see this as the most sensible choice in the world, but until we get a chance to play it (in like six days) I'm not gonna assume the sky is falling. Unless we play it and it really super sucks. Then yeah, I'll bitch about it too.

It's just as true that if you get an advantage for building for a rotation, there is an equivalent disadvantage for *not* building for the rotation. It's completely passive, and requires zero investment besides choosing the (in this case almost literal) flavor of the month.

It doesn't matter if a given player conceptualizes it as a buff or a nerf. It might be easier to swallow if someone thinks of it as "well I'm not worse off, I just don't have the buff" but there's no actual difference. It's strictly suboptimal to not use surge subclasses for any activity where a surges are on.

And yeah we'll see how it feels in play but I'm mostly just loving exhausted by this two steps forward two steps back circular design poo poo. For a brief couple of weeks I thought we might be free, with match game out and significantly widened options for dealing with champions, I was excited about a beautiful future where the game was wide open and the lock and key era was behind us, and having that teased and then pulled away is frustrating as hell. Really, I should have known better than to get my hopes up.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
not really feeling these changes tbh

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

syntaxfunction posted:

remember when tractor cannon buffed void damage far more than it did the other types, so everyone only ever ran void because why wouldn't you?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
the latest blog post is an absolute train wreck

much like my posting

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

RBX posted:

Un-sunsetting would make me uninstall forever and never look back.

These enemy changes are some real money paw poo poo. Make champs easier then put in a system where you still have to conform your load out because somebody at Bungie hates when you have control over your own build.

"Seasonally" rotating surges is loving crazy

I will be surprised if the enemy changes are more than just making them the new cabal skins and upping their density.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

they explicitly mentioned sparrows so I'm guessing some map changes to prevent you skipping that one part by just driving through it

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

arsenicCatnip posted:

they explicitly mentioned sparrows so I'm guessing some map changes to prevent you skipping that one part by just driving through it
I was talking specifically about the enemy changes. Like they're not going to add a bunch of champions to the base strike. It's going to be visual and density changes to enemies at most, I think.

The sparrow thing is mildly annoying but honestly not that bad. Same for the power deltas. It was perfectly fine in the new battlegrounds. It will probably be fine now.

But it is Bungie, so who knows. It's a 50-50 chance that the new mechanics they're talking about are just stomping on your junk over and over.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

remember when tractor cannon buffed void damage far more than it did the other types, so everyone only ever ran void because why wouldn't you?

No? When was this? If it was before Season of the Lost I wasn't playing then. Also I've somehow missed playing a lot of the meta builds honestly. Mainly because I am very slow.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Mazerunner posted:

This is another thing they don't ever seem to get. Players are going to optimize damage in the best way they can and only that way because you built your Fantasy MMORPG inside and arena shooter engine so every class is glass-cannon ranged DPS and the only thing they have to do is the most damage. No one cares about rotators or class flavor during the boss fight. Just let me use the stuff I think is fun FFS.

If you want variety in player choices you need to offer variety in player actions, not just different damage vaules.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Meiteron posted:

In Lightfall, you will be discovering another aspect of Darkness - something completely new, something no one in the history of the universe has ever found before!

Except for all your enemies, they will have all developed shields that use it immediately. They're really good at that.

The enemies will find the crate of green lightbulbs stashed in the back of their supply closet.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

What sort of story content from the current season should I power through before it ends? And how do I find it in this jumble of a map?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

"We're going to ease things up so you're free to play how you want"

*releases that article* *shits pants*

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Personally I can't wait spend half an hour on each vanguard strike instead of 10 minutes. The weapon levelling process is too fast and needs to be slowed down.

After all how else will Bungie drive people back to gambit?

Does anyone else smell brimstone?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/joegoroth/status/1628218754869104641?s=46&t=nzkFYyLdQQQKH-k7Wz56BA

Joe goes over the vanguard ops changes

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

While we still have a lot of reward tweaks planned throughout this whole year, when we ask Guardians to play Vanguard Ops for pinnacles or weekly challenges next season, we want to make sure that content has kept up with the player power increases over the years.

30 minutes for some glimmer incoming. Man I bet those queues are going to pop so fast.

Fortunately they haven't hosed with dares of eternity... yet. Someone burn that monkey paw.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Fortunately they haven't hosed with dares of eternity... yet. Someone burn that monkey paw.

You uh… you might want to sit down for a moment

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Again, i think he's overestimating how much people want to have to 'engage' with the weekly riruals. Here's how much I want to think about them before launching them:

OK, I have 3 of these to do. I haven't used Thorn in a while, that would be fun to use. So if I have thorn, I want a good special ammo to complement it. Glaive or fusion might be good. Which means a precision heavy like an LFR means I'm covered for all ranges. Choose a fun subclass (arc probably) and an exotic that does something fun with that class, and lets go!

He doesn't seem to realise tgat Destiny is already a game where your gun loadout needs to spec in a particular way to cover you for particular use cases, and then he's adding several extra layers of bullshit on top of that.

With the changes I'm reading, if by 'engaging' he means 'you have to pay attention or you die,' you'te now going to have to think about the element you want resistance against, the element you want to use because it does a buffed amount of damage, the weapon type that recieves a damage buff, the champions you need to counter, and all of that on top of strike-specific things you don't know until you land like "wait, the boss is a shrieker so I can't use Lament as my anti-barrier option."

I'm just saying that's a process Destiny 2 lifers are used to by now, so there's a tendency to go "lmao it's easy, just use this gun, this mod, this subclass specced this way, this exotic and play it this way to activate this set of mods;" but incoming players are going to be driven away by how irtitating it is getting shouted at by vets for using the wrong guns, especially in the supposedly 'normal' weekly modes.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I did like 10 Heroic Nightfalls yesterday and got one Wendigo and basically nothing else of value. So, not really feeling great about the idea of "that should be harder and take longer but might not be more rewarding."

That said there's supposed to be something about being able to focus nightfall rewards? Hope Heroic doles out whatever you need to focus at an rate more appropriate to difficulty/time.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

RBX posted:

You need spike grenades in the second slot to do damage.

I don't know why people want the spike/explosive light combo so much. GL impact/blast damage ratio scales with blast radius, explosive light sets maximum blast radius, so spike do the minimum possible damage

Black Griffon posted:

What sort of story content from the current season should I power through before it ends? And how do I find it in this jumble of a map?

This seasons story content is on the right side of the helm. Imo I would go through it far enough to get revision zero at least. The big thing you want to do though is get the ikelos smg pattern from the resonant stems because it's possibly the best pvp and pve primary?

Actually reading through these changes as someone who plays too much destiny I like them, but for a large chunk of the community I think they won't be great. Someone said it better than me up thread

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Oh my god these clowns

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

DancingShade posted:

Personally I can't wait spend half an hour on each vanguard strike instead of 10 minutes. The weapon levelling process is too fast and needs to be slowed down.

After all how else will Bungie drive people back to gambit?

Does anyone else smell brimstone?

I don't think it's to funnel people back into gambit lol

But yeah, spending an hour and a half just to get my third arm slot pinnacle for the week is going to drive me away from doing them at all.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Oh my god these clowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think you guys are severely overestimating the apparent rise in difficulty vanguard ops is getting. If you're already getting 10 minute clears doing wacky poo poo that's probably not going to change. The only people that this will "affect" in any way are the players that are literally not engaging with any of the game mechanics and are just vibing with a gun that goes pew pew and armor that looks cool with like no semlance of a build and zero mods added. And guess what? Those players are already out there right now and you're carrying them already. Them doing less than the nothing they already contribute ain't going to change you going through the strike.