Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Dabir posted:

Tim Follin, composer of unnecessarily good chiptunes and writer/director of Contradiction: Spot the Liar

What I love about Tim Follin is that he's unarguably the (or at least one of the) greatest chiptune composers, but this is only because he loving hated chiptunes and was desperately trying to push the sound hardware to sound far better than it should. Then when game hardware improved to the point that he could just do CD-quality music, it just sounded like everything else and no one really cared anymore. So he quit the industry, only returning in recent years to make FMV games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Roll Up, Roll Up To See The Amazzing Two-Headded Catte Taxxe

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Timtams

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Dead Goon posted:

Tim Roth, Tim Spall, Tim McVeigh, Tim Berners-Lee.

I can never get Only connect questions.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
*door knocks"

Woke police, we're here to investigate you personally working 5 days a week, and travelling outside the radius of a 15 minute walk from the city you are assigned to live. Also your neighbour has complained about your wood burning stove.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Tim The Enchanter

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Dead Goon posted:

Tim Berners-Lee

Inventing the WWW was a crime against humanity.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MeinPanzer posted:

A lot of people itt surprisingly don’t understand that your continued enjoyment of leisure is mostly dependent on doing some sort of purposeful work. And by definition people who have been successful enough in some profession to become rich find their work satisfying.

I have never done purposeful work so I'd not know about that. Every job I have had is menial garbage that exists because capitalism cannot abide people doing "nothing" (where nothing is not merely nothing but is something that is not linked somehow to shareholder value). This is my own fault, if there was an Olympic medal for being unambitious I'd not win it because I wouldn't put the work in. I come home from doing nothing that matters and feel mentally drained, exhausted. Then you eat dinner, relax for a couple of hours before going to bed & starting the cycle all over again. And this is the point, most people do work that is some deeply unsatisfying service sector rubbish where at the end of the day you step back & look at what you've done & realised it's nothing. It makes no difference to the world & at the end of it you don't want to go to a protest or go to a political meeting because all you want to do is find a hole, jump in, pull the duvet over the top of it & fall into restful oblivion, hoping to wake up the next morning to find out that it's all been a horrifically banal nightmare. Now obviously part of that extreme reaction is my predilection for depression talking, but the point is that nothing has destroyed my desire to get involved like work.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Tim's debate style reminds me of that scene in the Scorcese film Silence when Andrew Garfield's Christian missionary tries to debate an Eastern philosopher using the same kind of commonly accepted true-isms and circular arguments and just gets totally annihilated

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Only Kindness posted:

Roll Up, Roll Up To See The Amazzing Two-Headded Catte Taxxe

I need a kitty - post me one. ;) (Sadly, strictly verboten in our flats).

Surgeons:

I guess they would continue doing their job and 4-day week is potentially averaged over a period of say 3 months so you would maybe do 8 on and 2 off or some such.
Friend used to work for BT as a maintenance chap ('engineer') years ago and they did a 9-day fortnight.
I know the WTD regs for shift workers were averaged.

Religion chat:

Mum just came round and I said 'you've got a smear of black stuff on your forehead - have you converted to Islam?'
No she said, it's Ash Wednesday.
So I said devout muslims have a dark mark on their head from pressing their head on the carpet when they pray.
They're just showing off and trying to pretend to be all holy - she said.
So what's the difference - I say.
I'm showing the world how strong my faith is and if anyone asks me about the mark on my forehead I can tell them what it's about - she says.
:rollyeyes:

Anyway, what about the pancakes? Where does it say you have to eat pancakes in the Bible? Oh do be quiet.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I think OnlyKindless is cheating by posting pics of cats not known to them. Either that or they truly do have fifty cats

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tim Schafer seems like a good dude and if he's not I don't want to know about it

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
None of the cats are mine, nor have I claimed so.

I want a cat too, ever since I lost my large adult furry son Tom a.k.a. Tommy a.k.a. Tommy Tickle Tum, a.k.a. The Animal a.k.a. That Bloody Animal. I miss him every day.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Tommy the cat had many a story to tell but it was a rare occasion such as this that he did

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Only Kindness posted:

None of the cats are mine, nor have I claimed so.

I want a cat too, ever since I lost my large adult furry son Tom a.k.a. Tommy a.k.a. Tommy Tickle Tum, a.k.a. The Animal a.k.a. That Bloody Animal. I miss him every day.

In all the Timchat we have lost sight of the fact that many Toms are very good boys

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

In all the Timchat we have lost sight of the fact that many Toms are very good boys

I feel Jerry might object here.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel Jerry might object here.

Tom was completely justified in trying to kill that little poo poo

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Um, Jerry was the bad guy. The text supports this.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This isn't WW2 we're talking about

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Look, they didn't lose, they just came second.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Tom was completely justified in trying to kill that little poo poo

Watching the children's programmes available today makes me think how utterly deranged the cartoons I watched as a child are.

Forget Call of Duty, children became sensitised to hyperviolence through Tom and Jerry and Bugs Bunny.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyway, what about the pancakes? Where does it say you have to eat pancakes in the Bible? Oh do be quiet.

It doesn't, but being the day before the start of Lent Shrove Tuesday is when you'd eat up perishable stuff like eggs and milk that you wouldn't eat for the next 40 days so they wouldn't go to waste. One of the few cases of a religious festival being based on good sense, even if only because it comes immediately before another festival that doesn't.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Miftan posted:

Or just pay the surgeon overtime. Nobody is saying this is a 4 day week that is enforced and nobody is allowed to work more than 4 days a week. Most people only work 5 days a week despite the law being 1 day off a week.

I guess given that there are currently people going around convinced that "15 minute cities" means "get 16 minutes from your house and get shot", this makes sense as the next wilfully ignorant misconception. Anyone leaving the house on Friday gets sent to the reeducation camps and has their gender transed

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yes Jermumblery, what about that :thunk:

Will you employ some kind of timecops

trauma center under the knife IRL edition any% speedrun - no overtime strats

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Danger - Octopus! posted:

This is really great, thanks for sharing. Is it ok to share this with people elsewhere who it would be of interest to? I'd ask them not to post it publicly on social media sites etc, obviously

Yeah I think that's fine. I've improved on the transcription a little bit and will type up the shorter second letter when I get a chance soon.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Surgeons:

I guess they would continue doing their job and 4-day week is potentially averaged over a period of say 3 months so you would maybe do 8 on and 2 off or some such.
Friend used to work for BT as a maintenance chap ('engineer') years ago and they did a 9-day fortnight.
I know the WTD regs for shift workers were averaged.

I love doing 5 minutes of overtime and being immediately body slammed by one dozen perfect coppers.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Angepain posted:

I guess given that there are currently people going around convinced that "15 minute cities" means "get 16 minutes from your house and get shot", this makes sense as the next wilfully ignorant misconception. Anyone leaving the house on Friday gets sent to the reeducation camps and has their gender transed

And you know who else isn't allowed to leave their house on a Friday? That's right, Muslims! Not even allowed to press a lift button on their way to Friday prayers (that they're not allowed to go to). Have to stay in with their sweetie-candle-orange.

(/confusedracistsay)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

Or just pay the surgeon overtime. Nobody is saying this is a 4 day week that is enforced and nobody is allowed to work more than 4 days a week. Most people only work 5 days a week despite the law being 1 day off a week.

You'll find that surgeons in general have an artist's mindset and get utterly distraught if taken away from their work for any period of time.

I've known surgeons to intentionally take minimum maternity leave (despite being on full pay for longer) for fear of losing their :ese:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MeinPanzer posted:

A lot of people itt surprisingly don’t understand that your continued enjoyment of leisure is mostly dependent on doing some sort of purposeful work. And by definition people who have been successful enough in some profession to become rich find their work satisfying.

Very much not the case for me, anything I do is purposeful and even if I were seeking some greater purpose it would not take the form of paid employment if I had the choice, there are far more worthwhile things I can do that aren't compensated.

Some of the nicest moments I have are void of purpose, simply existing under the purposeless blue sky and sunshine. To experience without want or thought. Extremely fulfilling IME.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 22, 2023

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Here's a good Tim, with his sister Rose.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Dead Goon posted:

Tim Roth, Tim Spall, Tim McVeigh, Tim Berners-Lee.

uhhhhhhhhh

I really hope this is a bit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
McVeigh hasn't indulged in any dogwhistle biblical literalist conspiracy lunacy since his execution, so that gives him a slight edge on Farron.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If dead cops are good cops, then quod erat demonstrandum dead tims are good tims, quis caniculem in fenetre.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Tim Russ managed to be one of the few things that made Voyager watchable so i'll give him some points also

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kecske posted:

im sure nobodys ever made remarks about work setting you free before
I trust MeinPanzer on this.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Bobstar posted:

And you know who else isn't allowed to leave their house on a Friday? That's right, Muslims! Not even allowed to press a lift button on their way to Friday prayers (that they're not allowed to go to). Have to stay in with their sweetie-candle-orange.

(/confusedracistsay)

I know this is a bit, but some Jews use special lightswitches that don't always switch the light on so that they can turn the lights on during the Shabbat, because they're only asking for the light to be turned on, and it's up to the light if it turns on or not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The lifts that operate in shabbat mode are funny too, or simply announcing to the world that you would like to go to a floor and if somebody decides to press the button for you that's up to them.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

The lifts that operate in shabbat mode are funny too, or simply announcing to the world that you would like to go to a floor and if somebody decides to press the button for you that's up to them.

My personal favourite is every time there's a non jew in the room during Israeli summers someone immediately going "phew it sure it hot today!!!"

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Angrymog posted:

I know this is a bit, but some Jews use special lightswitches that don't always switch the light on so that they can turn the lights on during the Shabbat, because they're only asking for the light to be turned on, and it's up to the light if it turns on or not.

With God being omnipotent, surely this is the case for any lightswitch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Religious technicalities always crack me up, like the guy the other day pretending that actually leviticus was written about the transes, so as long as we have gay sex standing up we've gotten round that loophole!

(Yes I know that's likely not what the phrase 'lie with man' meant in the original sources.)

The same people claiming that god is omniscient and knows what's in your heart, but can also be tricked by the kind of smooth-brained rules lawyering that a toddler would be able to see through.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 22, 2023