Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favourite former IK?
This poll is closed.
metis 5 7.04%
Metis! 16 22.54%
Me, tis 18 25.35%
emits 14 19.72%
Hydrossity 18 25.35%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku3kUthhbwM&hd=1

VideoGames posted:

I beat Super Metroid on Monday, then started Zero Mission right after and got all the way to Kraid and stopped him and now I am not sure where to go.

It is very cool that you can pick up upgrades that the suit does not know how to deal with though. Makes me feel like I sequence broke. I keep trying to use my 'scanner' that I came to rely on in SM to see any hidden block types and then going 'Oh yeah' when I realise that was the last game.

Tonight, though, I am returning to sail around the rest of the world in FF1! My level 15 red, white and black mages + my warrior have got a quest to finish!
if you want, you can absolutely sequence break in zero mission, try it! it's wild how much you can do with almost no abilities. I think the lowest you can get is 10% item collection, with only the absolute literally essential items to progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku3kUthhbwM&hd=1

if you want, you can absolutely sequence break in zero mission, try it! it's wild how much you can do with almost no abilities. I think the lowest you can get is 10% item collection, with only the absolute literally essential items to progress.

I have no idea how to sequence break because I do not have a clue what the sequence is.
I am slowly getting through games I should have bested years ago :)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Speedrunners discovered that in one Zelda game Link can slowly phase through doors you shouldn't have access to by sitting at the pause menu for like 8 hours, which is proof that some people have even more enormous amounts of free time than I ever thought possible.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

VideoGames posted:

I have no idea how to sequence break because I do not have a clue what the sequence is.
sequence breaking in metroid games often involves using bomb-jumping, if you can get the hang of that, you can get to places that seem inaccessible, and from there, shenanigans

I'm the type to try that sort of poo poo whenever I start a new metroid game. dread kind of threw a wrench in that though lol

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

VideoGames posted:

A sequence is a game's intended order of progression, and sequence breaking involves getting items/areas earlier than the sequence expected you to get them.

In Metroid as Invictus mentioned it usually uses jumping with bombs to jump higher than expected and like, get Super Missiles earlier.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

the coolest thing about metroid dread isn't just that it's wide open to sequence breaking, but that there are a ton of little easter eggs that you'll only ever see if you do it. they knew exactly what kind of game they were making

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

People MUST have access to call of duty. It is of vital importance.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It's not called Call of Whenever You Feel Like It

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Zero Mission is particularly good for sequence breaking because it actually does take pains to show you what the sequence is.

Remember when you needed to get the long beam to shoot through a morph ball corridor to get to a door? There was a vertical passage you could have shot through above it to get to the same door. Stuff like that.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

StoryTime posted:

Legend of Dragoon is a bad jrpg that's notable for an extreme anime sentai insanity plot, and stretching the graphical capabilities of the PS1.

I remember it getting middling reviews at the time, plus it came out in 2001 in Europe at which point the PS1 seemed about as current as a ZX Spectrum.
It also has that terrible concentric circles mechanic for the battles. the superior timing based RPG batle mechanic is the big circle with hit areas.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
they’re concentric squares, thank you very much

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The voice acting in Atomic Heart is some of the worst I've heard in years and the awkwardly translated script sure doesn't help.
Environments look pretty good though.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Pretty stoked to start Zelda: A Link to the Past on friday.

Twilight princess at some point in the next few months, and then Breath of the Wild - finally - at the end of the year. This time I will go further than the plateau.

I spoke about my attempts at doing it maybe a year or two ago in one of the chat threads and I said the same thing and got overwhelmed the same way. I finish the plateau and then get paralysed about what to do and where to go.

No more. This time I will have the smiles of the kingdom. Plus, I now that have Ocarina, Majora and Windwaker under my belt so I might be able to gel with it way better.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

bone emulator posted:

The voice acting in Atomic Heart is some of the worst I've heard in years and the awkwardly translated script sure doesn't help.
Environments look pretty good though.

Switch to Russian.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Switch to Russian.

I did this ASAP myself, but the subs are weirdly small and not timed very well that I found it disorienting.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
They are, but the VO is much better and not as distracting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/BradSmi/status/1627926790172811264?t=7G3p4dRaRQxDLrJb_7mCQA&s=19

By the way, here's the previously mentioned Nintendo deal.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Finally, a remaster of the Wii version of CoD4

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Pretty cool that the lost vikings are coming to smash

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

External Organs posted:

Pretty cool that the lost vikings are coming to smash

They were the coolest heros in heroes of the storm

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I still won't play Call of Duty but congrats to the people getting paid to port it to the Switch or whatever.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Tilt the right joycon to pay respects

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

Switch to Russian.

Is the only way to do this to actually switch the game language to Russian?

EDIT:

I'm really loving Atomic Heart so far. The first complex gave me a huge Bioshock vibe to it and I loved it so much. Is the idea of the game with all the weapons that you have weapons designed to kill Robots and weapons designed to kill non robots? (I don't know that this is a spoiler, but just wanted to be safe) So far I've been primarily playing with the Axe and Shotgun along with Shok. I feel like generally I've been capable of handling most everything thrown at me but I can't help but wonder if I'm missing something as well. Also, the ultrawide monitor scaling in this game is terrible

EDIT:

VVVVVVVV Thank You

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 22, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No, the dialogue only option is in Audio, the other one switches the whole game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I thought gamers were about "No Russian"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A worrying sign of Putin's growing control over the minds of gamers.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
That's the sexbot game right? Gamers would trample their own mothers for some sexbots.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kerrzhe posted:

using a controller for anything? no thank you

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Assepoester posted:

All arcades are mostly ticket scams now, no changing that.

They probably mean that the actual arcade games will be raw thrills racing games and gameshow games and 4 player pac man and crossy road and giant screen space invaders and such, no house of the dead or gunshooty games unless they're really abstract like dreadstorm or transformers. Maybe a decade old Star Wars battlepod where the joystick is a bit wonky.

Oh and probably some Bemani/Jubeat/DDR/PumpItUp as Charlie mentioned, yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUEMT1AlI-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BiV63nNNEo

There's a Dave and Buster's and a Round 1 near me. The Round 1 has mostly broken cabinets but there was a cool 2v2 arena game they didn't actually connect to each other that was played with two guns you slap together into other guns. The Dave and Buster's had the Halo and Ace Combat cabinets. Both had most of the rest of that stuff in those videos lmao

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Speedrunners discovered that in one Zelda game Link can slowly phase through doors you shouldn't have access to by sitting at the pause menu for like 8 hours, which is proof that some people have even more enormous amounts of free time than I ever thought possible.

it's an even funnier story than that: twilight princess's "link picks up an item and shows it to the camera" animation is missing exactly a single transition frame between the end of the animation and the start of the next loop, meaning that he moves backwards by a tortuously small floating point value every time the loop completes, so he can stare at a blue rupee for multiple hours and punch through several solid walls to save having to get, like, 4 small keys and a couple items over the course of the run

this is also what happened with elden ring, where the transition between the 2H block walking -> 2H idle animation was missing a transition frame or two, so timing it just right would clip your character directly into the ground and force a zip

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I thought gamers were about "No Russian"

Clearly you’ve never heard of speedrunning

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Saint Freak posted:

That's the sexbot game right? Gamers would trample their own mothers for some sexbots.

No, that's Metal Gear Solid 4

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That post would have made more sense if I hadn't forgotten that VG was posting about playing MGS4 in the feedback thread, and not this one, but still.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That post would have made more sense if I hadn't forgotten that VG was posting about playing MGS4 in the feedback thread, and not this one, but still.

was just saying this

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am not sure what MGS4 is going to bring to the table. I am sure it will be bonkers, though.

MGS3 was pretty perfect for me as well but still having 4, Peacewalker, Revengeance and V to get through means I got a lot of Kojima to indulge with. And Death Stranding at the end of it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Feedback: VG should post in the games chat thread and not DERAIL the Feedback Thread!!!!!!!!

I saw a post and slipped up again!!!!

Rectifying now...

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Not sure when I will get to 4, but it will be PW first because that came out first. And probably in about five games time :)

Phew. Saved. Thanks everyone.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I remember the halcyon days when VG said Dishonored was just 5 games away

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sorry for the spoiler, that Metal Gear Solid 4 is the sex bot game

(it's mostly not)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU