Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

https://twitter.com/BugbearBrigand/status/1628069260269596673

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Just applied to ESRI :tinfoil: for Account Manager...trying to make the transition into sales apparently. It's basically my current job with more presentations I guess.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

re: snoring, apparently if you play the digeridoo it can cure snoring and sleep apnea. You have to practice a lot so you're playing it a lot.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1360393/

quote:

Results Participants in the didgeridoo group practised an average of 5.9 days a week (SD 0.86) for 25.3 minutes (SD 3.4). Compared with the control group in the didgeridoo group daytime sleepiness (difference -3.0, 95% confidence interval -5.7 to -0.3, P = 0.03) and apnoea-hypopnoea index (difference -6.2, -12.3 to -0.1, P = 0.05) improved significantly and partners reported less sleep disturbance (difference -2.8, -4.7 to -0.9, P < 0.01). There was no effect on the quality of sleep (difference -0.7, -2.1 to 0.6, P = 0.27). The combined analysis of sleep related outcomes showed a moderate to large effect of didgeridoo playing (difference between summary z scores -0.78 SD units, -1.27 to -0.28, P < 0.01). Changes in health related quality of life did not differ between groups.

Conclusion Regular didgeridoo playing is an effective treatment alternative well accepted by patients with moderate obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome.

this is one of my favorite bits of science trivia

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

If they give Cammy pants burn it down

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Its Rinaldo posted:

If they give Cammy pants burn it down

I've got bad news for you...

Also if you haven't heard, after SF6 releases their pro tour has a cool million dollar prize for first place this year which is bonkers money for fighting games.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 21, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LeeMajors posted:

My agency just announced additional longevity raises “for retention,” adding two additional annual bumps for employees below 5yr employment. Originally longevity raises were given at 1/3/5, and will now be given 1-5.

I asked if more senior employees would be given these additional raises retroactively and they told us to pound sand basically.

I’ve wondered a lot about what they’re thinking but honestly at this point the only explanation is that turnover suppresses wages, and they have no concerns weeding out experienced providers by biasing wage increases against them.

We get 3 raises every two years that tops out at ten years, plus an annual COLA raise and our contract is renegotiated every 3 years and tends to also lead to a raise.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Skwirl posted:

We get 3 raises every two years that tops out at ten years, plus an annual COLA raise and our contract is renegotiated every 3 years and tends to also lead to a raise.

We get no COLA raises (the county votes to pay out “adjustments,” which are one-time 1200$ checks lol, at their discretion) and get 3% at each longevity step, and max merit-based raises (which begin at year 6) is 4%.

They also compressed all promotional raises by decreasing the step from 12-18% to a flat 6%, so it’s not remotely worth it to promote and end up at the bottom of the seniority chain forever.

:rubby:

Whenever I hear about a sane compensation schedule I just want to throw my narc keys in a river and start walking.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I have friends and family members who are teachers who have had to do the “what do you mean you don’t want to take a pay cut” speech which usually leads to the teachers threatening to strike.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

bobjr posted:

I have friends and family members who are teachers who have had to do the “what do you mean you don’t want to take a pay cut” speech which usually leads to the teachers threatening to strike.

Public service suffers from a lot of the same poo poo educators do—largely depleted public funding and the expectation that doing “good work” is its own compensation.

People have had enough though, but the petit tyrants in local and state governments will just keep wringing that turnip.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Manoueverable posted:

I've got bad news for you...

Also if you haven't heard, after SF6 releases their pro tour has a cool million dollar prize for first place this year which is bonkers money for fighting games.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Her design was leaked within a couple hours of SF6's formal reveal, you can find it pretty easily if you know where to look. They also gave her a haircut, and her original costume is very likely to be in the game somehow.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Nah, Cammy's new design is great:

https://twitter.com/heyjenbartel/status/1578464924623196160

(not official art but I like that piece a lot)

Manoueverable posted:

Her design was leaked within a couple hours of SF6's formal reveal, you can find it pretty easily if you know where to look. They also gave her a haircut, and her original costume is very likely to be in the game somehow.

Yeah, there was some leaked in-game footage of Cammy in her classic look, and if SFV is anything to go by, it'll probably be DLC

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Lol they took all the material they would have used for her top and made pants. Still the same amount of skin showing

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

This rules. Cuddling cats are one of life's perfect little pleasures. My guys are a bonded pair and still curl up together all the time.

And sometimes get a little aggressive.

Two beautiful boys. Noticing a pattern there with the black and white one seeming to be the cuddle instigator.

We got the Toby (the gray man being used as a pillow in my picture) as a kitten when our other cat was about 6. Right away the older cat had zero interest in a kitten, but Toby is nothing if not persistent and eventually got his way:

I know cats facial expressions don't mean the same thing ours do, but that really is a perfect encapsulation of that moment where Charlie stopped swatting at Toby and just gave in.

That was the beginning of 11 years, the literal majority of which was spent something like this:

Toby was an only child for about a year and a half after we had Charlie put down until we got Zoey in November. She wasn't used to other cats, and hissed at Toby at first. Since then she's calmed down and they play or lay near each other, but this was the first time they've ever cuddled (that we know of, I guess). I think Toby was originally full steam ahead to cuddle with her, but all the hissing put him off and now he's the standoffish one.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Just applied to ESRI :tinfoil: for Account Manager...trying to make the transition into sales apparently. It's basically my current job with more presentations I guess.

Didn’t you just start a new job like a year ago?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Didn’t you just start a new job like a year ago?

That is true....

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So my mom's parkinsons that she's had for, oh, 7-8 years now, apparently according to her new neurologist is actually lewy body dementia? Which apparently can look a lot like parkinsons? This is bad news, because it means she's already at the average length of survival with this disease. The silver lining is that they'll change her meds and maybe her immediate quality of life will improve.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Leperflesh posted:

So my mom's parkinsons that she's had for, oh, 7-8 years now, apparently according to her new neurologist is actually lewy body dementia? Which apparently can look a lot like parkinsons? This is bad news, because it means she's already at the average length of survival with this disease. The silver lining is that they'll change her meds and maybe her immediate quality of life will improve.

My mom had MSA-C which is an atypical Parkinson's. Was pretty hard to diagnose at first too as it didn't have the traditional markers that would pop up during a regular Parkinson's test.

I'm in Los Angeles for the week visiting friends & family. Weather is nice and I'm idiotic enough to try visiting Venice Beach tomorrow.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Leperflesh posted:

Sorry leper. That's what got Robin Williams. Hopefully they caught her soon enough and the meds help well enough to keep things good with her for a while.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

if you want to talk or have questions, you can shoot me a PM. I'll answer anything you have.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Android Apocalypse posted:

My mom had MSA-C which is an atypical Parkinson's. Was pretty hard to diagnose at first too as it didn't have the traditional markers that would pop up during a regular Parkinson's test.

My aunt was initially diagnosed with Parkinson's, but then it was changed to ALS (Lou Gehrig's).

Her final years were an absolute shitshow and euthanasia needs to be legal, because Kathy literally asked us several times, "Let me die."

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I participated in my agency's union legislative lobbying day yesterday and it was fun and informative. However we did have a really meeting with a senator's aide that makes me mad. I was in a group with a worker who was seriously assaulted by a youth who almost threw her out of a 3 story window. She was telling her story to this woman who rolled her eyes, didn't take notes, and didn't even bother to go "I'm sorry that happened to you" as our coworker showed a picture of swollen, bloody face and was visibily shaking talking about what happened to her. This lady was completely blank eyed like she was in some kind of benzo fog. It was really dismissive since she didn't even listen to us when we were talking about the need for better pay and to fund out contracts. The other aide was a way better. I'll probably do it again next year!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

if you want to talk or have questions, you can shoot me a PM. I'll answer anything you have.

Thanks Fiz. I appreciate it.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Woo, ice storm today!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Rectal Placenta posted:

Woo, ice storm today!

It’s supposed to get up to 80 here today

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Ha, we have a -31 wind chill right now. High for the day is -5.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wandler20 posted:

Ha, we have a -31 wind chill right now. High for the day is -5.

It's funny following along to this nightmare here, because KC is like mid 60s today, 30s the next couple of days, we might get some thunderstorms. Just bog standard normal rear end stuff for around here. We're in the eye of the storm I guess.

LA, for instance, getting a possible blizzard is very much not normal.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Joey Freshwater posted:

86 for me

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

We had 60 yesterday, then it was snowing and 15 when I got up to go to the airport. When I arrive it’ll be in the 30s, then tomorrow will be in the 70s, then right back down on Friday

Weather seems real hosed up rn

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Rectal Placenta posted:

Woo, ice storm today!

Our first of two days snowfall was in the bottom half of what was forecast, but it's some calm before the storm tension now waiting for the bigger day.

Also it's superfine snow and windy as hell, which is the perfect combination for the campfire-esque experience of blowing snow and having it whip back at you no matter which direction the chute is throwing it.

I got to work late, am going to leave incredibly early, and am basically here entirely to win points with all of the people who drive their Ram trucks in from rural WI. In fact, since initially writing that and walking away to do work stuff, I've heard two different conversations with people trying to make it sound like conditions today were effectively 70 degrees and sunny.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It was 66 F/19 C over the weekend.

And down to freezing overnight like two days later. 🫠

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

around 80 here tomorrow

possible ice saturday morning

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
81° feels like 84° outside but I’m stuck in an office all day womp womp

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Nicest few days we’ve had in a while. Must…find way… to free up afternoon

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

It’s 74, sunny, no humidity in Charleston right now. Which would be fine if it weren’t goddamned February.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Well, we are starting to whittle down the various possibilities of where we are off to next. We decided against Alaska, and she turned down a job offer for Fargo. Right now the top two in contention are Tampa area or.... Wilkes-Barre, PA. Wilkes-Barre's program qualifies for a special student loan thing, so basically they will reimburse 40k a year up to 5 years/200k. The nice thing is that we could literally make the minimum payment all year, then a week before the deadline dump however much to make the full 40k and get it reimbursed a week later. If we went there, the idea would be just to do so until loans are paid off then go to wherever we like on a permanent basis. We would be about a 4 hour drive from family in PA, so that parts not bad. The part that is bad. As for Tampa, its a place we could both see spending a good chunk of time there. Its cheaper than Miami, so we could actually buy a place. There are loads of things to do and I might actually have an in on a not as well paying, but super fun and super cool job that really excites me. Obviously we are going to wait for final job offers and packages before making a final decision, but its a tough decision. That student loan payment is such a huge temptation.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

That student loan payment is such a huge temptation.

Being out from under student loan debt is so freeing, it’s impossible to overstate.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Goodness

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1628220249597267968?s=46&t=6qKLLEee2adY-bhUBnX1dA

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I guess I just haven’t kept up with Hannity in any regard but drat he’s looking old, is he usually that haggard these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Man I hate having a 3 car long gravel driveway when it snows.