Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

theshim posted:

Upgraded my gloves to have the temple mod and my belt to a stygian (and funnily enough that ended up being important because I lost a bunch of dex on the gloves which cost me a couple points of hit rate, so I got accuracy on the abyssal jewel to cap it out again). Probably not going to make too many more upgrades to this character, I'm definitely almost done with the league, but it's nice. I might try to scrape together enough cash for that big cluster as a last shot, though then I gotta figure out what points to cut.

Woohoo progress :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How is the game lately? Last league I played was Ultimatum, which was about a year and a half back. I know there's quite a few changes over time since then including the flask rework. I'm considering jumping back in, in a few weeks ahead of the April expansion to get caught up.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Zotix posted:

How is the game lately? Last league I played was Ultimatum, which was about a year and a half back. I know there's quite a few changes over time since then including the flask rework. I'm considering jumping back in, in a few weeks ahead of the April expansion to get caught up.

the current league is widely considered one of the best ever

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Though the league mechanic itself is not nearly as universally liked as the overall state of the game (see the big effortpost above which I entirely agree with), I also definitely agree that this is one of the best leagues ever.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

the current league is widely considered one of the best ever

think i saw something on reddit that it had beaten even Ritual in retention at one point

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/10mldpy/league_retention_performance_charts_place_sanctum/

this from the end of January has it ever so slightly behind Delirium and a bit further behind Ritual

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I am glad there are some people enjoying Sanctum, because it might be my least favorite league I have ever played. I eagerly await the new league that might have a mechanic I enjoy.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

graynull posted:

I am glad there are some people enjoying Sanctum, because it might be my least favorite league I have ever played. I eagerly await the new league that might have a mechanic I enjoy.

yeah the patch is great so I played a couple weeks but I hate sanctum so I gave up

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm certain most people think it's the best ever just because of the death of Archnemesis rares after about a year of them tainting every league.

The other half of it is just because they expanded on the atlas passives which were a hit.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 22, 2023

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm certain most people think it's the best ever just because of the death of Archnemesis rares after about a year of them tainting every league.

The other half of it is just because they expanded on the atlas passives which were a hit.

gotta admit it does feel good lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

GGG also basically ignored Reddit which was a big help

J
Jun 10, 2001

Sanctum passed ritual for my most played league, I played well past 40/40 and farmed up more currency than I've ever had. The buffs to spawn rates of league mechanics on the atlas tree was such a good change, and of course scrapping archnemesis which was warping the entire game around it. Sanctum itself I'd say is a mid tier league mechanic. It definitely punishes slow and tanky builds too much which is :wtf: in a game that already punishes slow and tanky builds too much.

Now we get to see if GGG is gonna do their annual huge nerf league adjacent to diablo4 launch :haw:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah we have talked about it a lot but archnemesis was definitely dogshit and the entire reason I skipped a couple leagues before this one

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Maybe tomorrow I'll write my effortpost about how Archnemesis was good design and it just needed some tweaks to be great

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Archnemesis was a bunch of great ideas that I would have liked to have seen work, but they kept making changes and they kept not working, so who knows if I would have ever seen it work so gently caress it I guess.

And yeah I'm expecting to see poison SRS die and Arakaali's spiders die as collateral damage.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Maybe tomorrow I'll write my effortpost about how Archnemesis was good design and it just needed some tweaks to be great

I liked archnemesis as a league mechanic, where it was a choose your own adventure while knowing that the outcomes could be absurd.

The core idea of random rares being potentially thematic is about the only kernel worth saving from archnemesis. Unfortunately, it turns out that trying to apply 4 different random thematic archetypes all at once, in a game already struggling with visual clarity, tends to not work well.

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

I really liked playing in this league, and I played three characters to 98, but it wasn't because the league was extremely good. It's a combination of good timing (for me) and the historical precedent that the game may simply be very bad for an extended period of time, unexpectedly. Fear of missing out (on playable game time).

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Clockwerk posted:

I liked archnemesis as a league mechanic, where it was a choose your own adventure while knowing that the outcomes could be absurd.

The core idea of random rares being potentially thematic is about the only kernel worth saving from archnemesis. Unfortunately, it turns out that trying to apply 4 different random thematic archetypes all at once, in a game already struggling with visual clarity, tends to not work well.

Yeah, it's that. Some of the AN mods were just too strong(empowered minions), or stacked too strongly together(all the ones that made mobs faster). This was fine when you were able to choose them. Not fine when they're random.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Bunch of these thoughts did cross my mind while playing Sanctum, although I personally enjoyed it and might play more at some point.

I think why it works for me is precisely because it imposes such harsh additional requirements on a build. Instead of playing Overbearing Build X once again, I had to actually think a bit about what would work in there. It's Chess Boxing the league, dumb as a joke, but entertaining and different. Much like GGG's flailing attempts at balance, the idea is more to shake things up and drive players to try out new things.

I definitely agree it scales poorly, as almost every bit of Extra Content does. However the fact that you can bank Sanctum encounters in T16 maps and run them wherever you want, is good. Probably unintentional, but there's a lesson to be learned here, more content should have adjustable difficulty. Only Delve allows you to choose the difficulty like this, and it's great there as well.

I wouldn't mind more league gimmicks that are build discriminatory, but adjustable in how hard you want to engage them.

Making this core is going to be hard. There were ideas thrown out that this would replace the labyrinth, and that's an awful idea the way Sanctum stands now. I really don't want to be forced to switch into a glass cannon to get my ascendancy points with every character. If it's just a side show, then whatever. Put some easy mode atlas passive nodes in the tree, there should be more of those anyway so I can play more lovely SSF gimmick builds.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

StoryTime posted:

Only Delve allows you to choose the difficulty like this, and it's great there as well.

ehh, that's also the whole gimmick of the atlas tree

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I haven't been playing for too long relative to a lot of people in here but I've got to ask, why is it expected for "slow and tanky" builds to be rewarded or viable? Outside of (in theory) boss killing (and there are probably better ways to do that in practice), there doesn't really seem to be any content or mechanic that encourages a slow and tanky playstyle. Was this not the case at some former point?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

graynull posted:

Yeah I got bored really really really quickly this league, felt like standard because sanctum itself was not fun at all.

goferchan posted:

I haven't been playing for too long relative to a lot of people in here but I've got to ask, why is it expected for "slow and tanky" builds to be rewarded or viable? Outside of (in theory) boss killing (and there are probably better ways to do that in practice), there doesn't really seem to be any content or mechanic that encourages a slow and tanky playstyle. Was this not the case at some former point?

It's not that players are asking for slow and tanky, it's that slowing the game down has been used by the designers as an excuse to kill builds/playstyles for literally years now. It definitely seems like a case of the left hand not talking to the right hand because they justify unpopular decisions with "slowing the game is good for its long-term trajectory" and then have entire league mechanics that are "just don't get hit" the league.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 22, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

goferchan posted:

hardcore mode

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
in which case they're viable because they're alive

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I would like sanctum much more if there was a way to run it more than once per map, like maybe a drop you could find to open portals to your sanctum.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Umbreon posted:

I would like sanctum much more if there was a way to run it more than once per map, like maybe a drop you could find to open portals to your sanctum.

I would've come back to sanctum if they at any point had actually added interesting and/or fun boons/afflictions

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Ofc it's not reasonable to have a league mechanic where your build does nothing, but imagine a sanctum where you have a completely different hero, built from scratch each new run (+relics). A real roguelite built using PoE as a core

e: also bring back Descent

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

dyzzy posted:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I'm bummed out that tempest shield and stormshroud work how they're supposed to and not how I want them to.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

dyzzy posted:

Ofc it's not reasonable to have a league mechanic where your build does nothing, but imagine a sanctum where you have a completely different hero, built from scratch each new run (+relics). A real roguelite built using PoE as a core

I have a feeling they didn't do fun poo poo because they didn't want to make the non-sanctum gameplay feel bad.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah you can't make any one thing too good or people will whine incessantly about fomo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They could have done really crazy poo poo with relics but stuck to affixes they already used.

I guess they were modifiable but that was real endgame poo poo

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Oh poo poo I never put an invocation on my frenzy relic. lmao

J
Jun 10, 2001

They did a good job with invocations and making them tradable. When I first saw the previews of a corrupted relic with ghost dance on it I immediately thought it was gonna be onslaught boots 2.0 where nobody was going to get one. Happy to be wrong about that.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

goferchan posted:

Back in the bad old days of open beta, when the skill tree was much more boring, the Scion was in development and the game ended after temple Piety, the player power level was really, really low so tankiness was more important. Kaom's Heart and Shavronne's Wrappings were big-ticket items and the room-clearing abilities of a mid-tier modern build were relegated to the ultra rich.

It was a legitimately worse game back then in many ways and while I like the idea of slow and tanky builds being better rewarded that ship sailed a decade ago for POE.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Last Epoch is trying to do something pretty unique about item economy in ARPGs:
https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/trade-development-update-introducing-merchants-guild-and-circle-of-fortune-factions/51994

basically you align yourself with the "trade" faction or the "no trade" faction. 
pretty obvious stuff: higher "trade" rep means you can trade more powerful items, but items drop at lower power. higher "no trade" rep means items drop at higher power, but you can't trade em,
you can flip between factions at will.
item drops will be tagged with whichever faction you're at right now and you can only use them when you're in that faction.

additionally they'll keep the current basic trading system (you can always trade fresh item drops with a characters in your current dungeon/play session)
plus there's a semi-rare item that'll let you trade any item to long-time friends ('long-time' TBD)

its a kind of goofy and overly complicated system but poo poo. at least they are trying!!

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
That's a weird idea and I'm all for it

Did they put out multiplayer yet?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
so basically it's "SSF mode, but with drops balanced for SSF"? :v:

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

I liked sanctum a lot overall and the concept of its big chase item being gated behind a high challenge mode is a good one. That challenge being mostly solved by overwhelming dps instead of requiring good play is disappointing, but I guess that's the way most endgame stuff goes.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

This entire genre of games is about progressing from a wasteman eating dirt on a shore into HAR HAR YOUR GOD BEAM TICKLES MY FACE VERY LIGHTLY, so Sanctum was a fun diversion.

Truga posted:

Seems like an idea worth exploring!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Truga posted:

approximately:
your characters can switch between SSF and Trade modes at will. When you're in SSF mode, items can drop with SSF-boosted stats, but then those items are SSF tagged and you can only equip them when you're in SSF mode. Items you get from trading are Trade tagged and can't be equipped in SSF mode.

The modes seem properly built out. Trade will have asynchrous options and SSF will have item-chasing options if you want to target a specific unique, for example.

since your characters can go back and forth whenever you want i think it's a really clever way to have it both ways, and importantly they've built a couple workarounds for trading directly with your longtime friends.