Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Colander Crotch posted:

You remembered right, but it didn't last that long. He started to do them a few months ago.

Generally speaking, when artists says they're retiring. What they really mean is that they're taking a few years off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Judgy Fucker posted:

I don't follow this thread but I did follow Bors when I still used twitter--didn't he say he was retiring from making comics less than a year ago? Either I've somehow imagined that or his retirement didn't last long.

That comic is from 2017.
He's switched to making comic books instead of political cartoons now.
Plus he still runs The Nib.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Slaughterhouse 5 and The Hunchback of Notre Dame on here really get me. Did you even read the loving books?

E: Imagine being so WOKE you wouldn't want to call a person "a hunchback", truly this is political correctness gone mad.
E2: Also Grapes of Wrath? Yeah the left really hates talking about poverty.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 21, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I just really love my AC20s

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
I prefer 1984 having no changes at all.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fister Roboto posted:

Any other day I'd roll my eyes at the normal reactionary crying about political correctness gone mad, but in this case a lot of the changes are extremely bizarre, and also somehow don't change the actual problematic elements.

Yeah, a bunch of the changes listed in that article make no sense. Is there an advocacy group for unattractive people that objects to depicting abusive family members as ugly or something? Why change that?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Rowe:

Knight 1:

Wilcox:

Shakespeare:

Katauskas:

Knight 2:

Spooner:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SporkChan posted:

As the joke goes, "political pundits have only read one book, and they haven't even read that."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

SporkChan posted:

"But Big Brother has eyelashes now! Clearly that means it's Big Sister!"

Hang on, let me just check if my eyelashes still exist.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Pretty lazy to just leave 1984 as-is instead of changing it to "Nineteen Eighty-Fun" or something

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
And not one of these comics is playing with the idea of changing the worst part of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: Roald Dahl the person.

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.
And Cosyhouse-5? Laughterhouse-5 is right there!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don't really have any problem with the changes, though some , like witches going undercover as normal women being changed from secretary to scientist, seem more useful than others. As far as changing the spirit of the books, it's got nothing on the Scary Stories to tell in the dark illustration change from a few years back

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Saint Sputnik posted:

Pretty lazy to just leave 1984 as-is instead of changing it to "Nineteen Eighty-Fun" or something

Brave New World appears to have also escaped revision, though it could still be Grave Brew World - a book about using technology shorn of any respect for fundamental human questions to make the perfect halloween pumpkin ale

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

Taking EU for a ride by Song Chen

Le Monde

by Urbs from France
Summing up the times
"It's going to be long."
"The war in Ukraine, inflation, or work?"

Charlie Hebdo

Emergency Lodging
"I'm still being refused entry!"
That's Le Pen and the Elysée. This went with an article on the homeless issue in France.

Macron at the Rungis market
"Far from pension reform."
Rungis is incidentally the largest market in the world. It's an impressive site.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Sephyr posted:

Gotta say, the turnaround by cartoonists between "OMG CHINA DEATH-BALLOONS are coming to KILL US ALL, why did WEAKLING Biden take so long to destroy them!! It may be TOO LATE for us all!" and onwards to "Tchya, look at those wimpy Dems freaking out about just hot air, so unseemly" may have been the fastest flip I've ever seen.

I think the fastest flip for me was when that boat hosed up in Iran in 2016 and was captured in Iranian waters. I was visiting my very right wing family and Fox was practically loving salivating at the prospect of there being military hostages and was already starting to rattle that saber about how incompetent the Dems were and how horrible it was that these soldiers were captured and how important it was to get them home.

And then they were released the next day. Suddenly it wasn't important that the soldiers were on their way home.

It's just so hilariously brazen that it beggars belief. I know 1984 comparisons are trite, but right wing media flipflops like this are very reminiscent of "we've always been at war with Eastasia." There's not a moment of acknowledgement that their opponents have done exactly what was being complained about, just that the complaint was always this new complaint, and only bad people think otherwise.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The really wild one was Bowie Berghdal

He went from being a plucky American hero abandoned to the Taliban by B Hussein Obama, to a stupid loser and practically a terrorist himself overnight.

The prisoner swap was announced and all these right wing guys like Adam West who were demanding he be rescued did a 180 and started hating Bergdhal immediately. It was that Eurasia/Eastasia scene.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 22, 2023

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Jeff Danziger

Lisa Benson

Jeff Stahler

Matt Davies

Pedro X. Molina

Ann Telnaes

Mike Peters

Randall Enos

Dave Whamond

Bill Bramhall

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

[Curly voice] why i oughta...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

alnilam posted:

[Curly voice] why i oughta...

Unfortunately the "narrow side of a flattened hand against the nose" technique doesn't work against the single eye poke. Putin may be a master in Judo but his knowledge of Stoogecraft is unfortunately lacking. Doubtless he tried a deflection followed with a big raspberry which combos into hitting Biden on the top of the head with an oversized hammer, but got the 2nd eye poke from the other hand instead.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Epic High Five posted:

Brave New World appears to have also escaped revision, though it could still be Grave Brew World - a book about using technology shorn of any respect for fundamental human questions to make the perfect halloween pumpkin ale

Rave New World sounds pretty fun though

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

I see the point, but does colonialism really need to be understated like this so the dumb myopic people can relate to it?

I believe it went a little further than "not asking if they wanted a Jacuzzi" into the realm of "hunting them for sport".

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Svaha posted:

I see the point, but does colonialism really need to be understated like this so the dumb myopic people can relate to it?
Yes, quite frankly. Most of the history of Australia's first peoples wasn't taught at all when I was young; it was all convicts, explorers and settlers. It's why Truth is one of the three parts of the Uluru Statement from the Heart, along with Voice and Treaty.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

idonotlikepeas posted:

Bill Bramhall

"Now what does the flag of Ukraine look like? I know this, it's got yellow and blue. No need to check from anywhere, that's two seconds of time saved!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nenonen posted:

"Now what does the flag of Ukraine look like? I know this, it's got yellow and blue. No need to check from anywhere, that's two seconds of time saved!"

It's um... to symbolize Ukraine in distress!!! poo poo

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Skios, are you still planning to make any additional nominations for the 2022 Kellies?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Up in the Air

Ted Rall posted:

As mysterious balloons and identified flying objects have us looking up in the sky, we are being distracted by a world of serious, pressing matters down here on the ground. There’s nothing new about spying or probably even this generation of surveillance balloons. Nor is there anything new about humanity’s unwillingness to roll up its collective sleeves and get to work on the real threats to our security.

First Dog on the Moon: Are 15-minute cities a good idea or the work of UN greenist devils?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Discendo Vox posted:

Skios, are you still planning to make any additional nominations for the 2022 Kellies?

Urgh, I'm really sorry. Kind of got overwhelmed with work. Please just move on with them, and apologies for holding them up.

Anyway, content.

A.F. Branco

Bob Gorrell

Chip Bok

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Tom Stiglich

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Skios posted:

Urgh, I'm really sorry. Kind of got overwhelmed with work. Please just move on with them, and apologies for holding them up.

Zero worries, I've also been in the weeds. I'll get the ball rolling this weekend; I think we're still a couple months ahead of last year!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Skios posted:

Anyway, content.

A.F. Branco

Wait. No fly?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Kikas posted:

Wait. No fly?

And the thought bubble has something in it!

Also, is his nose getting longer? Is "pinnochio nose" one of his things now?

Anyway, I'm almost done plumbing the depths of branco's archive so expect a post on the bideniconography soon

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Skios posted:

Mike Luckovich

Tom Stiglich

These two side by side is just :discourse: What the gently caress are you thinking, Luckovich?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Those four years apart really make a difference in age don't they

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

God the right is just going to make so much hay out of the president gallivanting around Europe while an ecological disaster unfolds at home.

Even Trump is out there pretending to care and it was his deregulation that probably caused it!

(Yeah yeah tbf the deregulation is bipartisan but by making the positive action to do it, he gave Biden an excuse to lock it in by doing nothing)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Deregulation is your brother when you are enacting it but a stepbrother when poo poo hits the fan.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Fister Roboto posted:

These two side by side is just :discourse: What the gently caress are you thinking, Luckovich?
He’s thinking two things happened.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Saint Sputnik posted:

the "joke" is that these are the books that would be available in Airstrip One

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I read once that while right-wingers get infiltrated constantly, they have a lot of trouble infiltrating modern leftist spaces because they fundamentally do not and cannot understand the leftist viewpoints they hate so much.
Seeing comics like this makes me feel like whoever said that was onto something.