Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I read once that while right-wingers get infiltrated constantly, they have a lot of trouble infiltrating modern leftist spaces because they fundamentally do not and cannot understand the leftist viewpoints they hate so much.
Seeing comics like this makes me feel like whoever said that was onto something.

Yeah I can't even figure out what the left-wing thought he's trying to parody is supposed to be, why is factory offensive but sweatshop not...what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That is absolutely the case. Margaery Taylor Greene posted her secession manifesto and it is just all the same culture war bullshit she's always been spouting, but the thing that stood out to me was a bit about how blue states would abolish the Pledge of Allegiance and replace it with one for the trans flag or BLM or something.

Even the idea that someone might simply elect to not make children perform a daily ritual of ideological affirmation is too alien for these people.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I read once that while right-wingers get infiltrated constantly, they have a lot of trouble infiltrating modern leftist spaces because they fundamentally do not and cannot understand the leftist viewpoints they hate so much.
Seeing comics like this makes me feel like whoever said that was onto something.

They don't need to though. They have police for that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah I can't even figure out what the left-wing thought he's trying to parody is supposed to be, why is factory offensive but sweatshop not...what
"The new woke left only cares about identity and culture war issues and no longer cares about economic justice" from someone who definitely doesn't care about either social or economic justice.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

"The new woke left only cares about identity and culture war issues and no longer cares about economic justice" from someone who definitely doesn't care about either social or economic justice.

I thought about that but then why would the woke left be denigrating the factory and pointing out economic exploitation by calling it a sweatshop.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I thought it reads pretty clearly as "these idiots would even object to the working conditions of Oompa Loompas" but YMMV

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

This may very well be peak PC. The distilled essence of what it is to be so completely loving uninspired.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
bold doctrine there

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

World Famous W posted:

bold doctrine there

It reminds me of that old webcomic, Shortpacked, when the one character got elected and was trying to outlaw cancer, but it got overturned because they're all just so bad and mean and can't even agree that cancer is bad.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

I thought it reads pretty clearly as "these idiots would even object to the working conditions of Oompa Loompas" but YMMV

But then how is that bowdlerizing it, wouldn't they change it to a workers' co-op where they're all happy and on union breaks all the time because left wing snowflakes who are triggered by the word "chocolate" would be even more triggered by sweatshops and slavery?

Whatever I've probably put too much thought into this but it's like, the only way to understand the comic is if the left are both sensitive snowflake crybabies and angry bomb-throwing anarchists

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

the_steve posted:

This may very well be peak PC. The distilled essence of what it is to be so completely loving uninspired.

Eh idk, the middle panel by itself would easily qualify as the best comic PC ever made

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Vladimir Putin’s fictions – Russian leader’s speech in Moscow castigates Ukraine and the west" After Quentin Blake.

Telegraph:

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Public sector workers could be offered 3.5% pay rise to stop strikes; Tomato shortage widens to more fruit and vegetables and likely to last ‘weeks’

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

the Bloody... loving... Gotherfucker?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Gastronomist?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Albanese spoke about AUKUS at the National Press Club that flagged increased defence spending. Australia will control nuclear submarines in any conflict with Aukus partners, Albanese says (Guardian).

Rowe:

PM rules out major changes to super amid tax concessions debate (SMH). The treasurer Jim Chalmers has been talking up reforming superannuation in particular the level of tax concessions.

Wilcox:

Spooner:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

VitalSigns posted:

But then how is that bowdlerizing it, wouldn't they change it to a workers' co-op where they're all happy and on union breaks all the time because left wing snowflakes who are triggered by the word "chocolate" would be even more triggered by sweatshops and slavery?

Whatever I've probably put too much thought into this but it's like, the only way to understand the comic is if the left are both sensitive snowflake crybabies and angry bomb-throwing anarchists
The rule of Gorrell states that you've already put more thought into it than he has. I can't even credit the man with the Eco you allude to here

I'm confident he didn't think further than "wacky lefties changing book to reflect their mockable beliefs" and then going word by word through the title. I assume he pondered "and the" for a full 5 minutes before he gave up exhausted and moved on.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The misses National Rifle Association pageant should be banned. I agree.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Jeff Danziger

Jeff Stahler

Matt Davies

Ann Telnaes

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

Kirk Walters

Jimmy Margulies

Ed Gamble

David M. Hitch

Randall Enos

Dave Whamond

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wasn’t Roald Dahl also a raging, unrepentant antisemite? Or did I confuse him with Orson Scott Card

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pants Donkey posted:

Wasn’t Roald Dahl also a raging, unrepentant antisemite? Or did I confuse him with Orson Scott Card

Yes but he didn't put it into his children's books so the revisions (at least the ones I've seen quoted) are a bunch of weird kinda misguided changes that really didn't need to happen to some fairly anodyne things. Like in James and the Giant Peach his evil aunts are no longer described fat and ugly. I think in another book a witch moonlights as a scientist instead of a secretary, which sounds like it was mandated who hasn't followed women's rights issues since 1968 because it is really considered a shameful thing for a woman to be working as a secretary in 2023?

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 23, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pants Donkey posted:

Wasn’t Roald Dahl also a raging, unrepentant antisemite?
He definitely was. Way past "Hitler was too extreme but he had some sensible political ideas" and into "Hitler was a scruffy peasant but at least he knew what to do with the Jews."

He eventually edited out some of the more blatant anti-Black racism in his books in the 70s after reading letters from the NAACP and coming to sympathize with them, but everything he heard against his antisemitism was just more proof to him that there was a Jewish conspiracy.

e: ^ although yeah, he managed to not write James and the Giant Protocols of Zion somehow and kept all that poo poo in his other works and interviews

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

the_steve posted:

It reminds me of that old webcomic, Shortpacked, when the one character got elected and was trying to outlaw cancer, but it got overturned because they're all just so bad and mean and can't even agree that cancer is bad.

The comic about people working in a toy store?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Kellies Nomination: Worst Caricature. If I hadn't seen several other comics on this already, I'd have no idea who that was supposed to be.

Skios fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 23, 2023

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sorry a bit under the weather. This is yesterday's stuff.

China Daily

Ohio train derailment: profits over safety by Cai Meng

Le Monde

Visite surprise de Biden à Kiev/Biden's surprise visit to Kiev by Ramsés from Cuba

by Micaël as seen in La Croix l’hebdo
"Today we're going to learn how to calculate my retirement age."

by Herrmann
First year anniversary of the conflict in Ukraine
"War solves all problems, except military ones."

Charlie Hebdo

Ukraine will succeed
"They told me they'd do it without humiliating me."

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Chris Britt

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

China's naval build-up is an irrepressible force of nature, one day it may harm Japan, the other it may save them from the USA.

An art cartoon, sponsored by the Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Never seen a guy who simultaneously understands and doesn't understand how a blank cheque works

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

the sex ghost posted:

Never seen a guy who simultaneously understands and doesn't understand how a blank cheque works

Eh, I mean, it does help sell the visual metaphor of one guy getting an actual blank check and the other guy being given nothing without needing to have a bunch of labeled arrows pointing at them to explain :thejoke:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

China, represented here by a famous Japanese painting ...

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the special immigration appeals commission – The court upheld the 2019 decision of the then home secretary, Sajid Javid, to strip Shamima Begum of her British citizenship"

Telegraph:

Politics news: 'Hurdles to overcome' before Northern Ireland deal, Tory MPs told After Escher.

Matt:

Tesco becomes fourth supermarket to ration fruit and vegetables

Independent:

Times:

Boris Johnson and Liz Truss urge Rishi Sunak to send fighter jets to Ukraine

Evening Standard:

Extensive archive of David Bowie’s life and work donated to V&A

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Vib Rib posted:

You see it a lot in the IoSM and RWM threads; stuff like "official antifa flyers" and poo poo. They fundimentally think that the left wing is just "The right, but with gays instead of guns".

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Moon Slayer posted:

China, represented here by a famous Japanese painting ...
All of Asia is China. There are no distinct cultures or histories there.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

Endless War by Luo Jie

Le Monde

by Osama Hajjaj from Jordan

Charlie Hebdo

In favor of school uniforms:
I hear voices.
There was a stabbing in south-western France in which a teacher was killed by an unwell student. Just imagine what could've happened with a gun!

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Alan Joyce, CEO of Qantas which recorded a $1bn profit, and RBA governor Philip Lowe who has been warning against wage rises because they will increase inflation. Pope is quite good at making a "two things happened" cartoon and actually connecting them. ‘An economic fairytale’: Australia’s inflation being driven by company profits and not wages, analysis finds (Guardian).

Rowe:

The government wants to remove tax breaks for those who have multiple millions in superannuation and the opposition is up in arms against it, defending the super-rich.

Wilcox:

Pavlidis:

Katauskas:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese defends SmartCard ahead of rollout during Western Australia visit (ABC). The SmartCard is replacing the cashless debit card (CDC), with a major difference being the SmartCard is voluntary rather than compulsory.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

I thought that caricature was RBG for a second and was seriously confused. Seconding the Kellies nom.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

Murdstone posted:

All of Asia is China. There are no distinct cultures or histories there.

Ramirez is half-Japanese-American, so you'd think he would know better... :eng99:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Maybe he's talking down to his audience, who absolutely does not know better and certainly doesn't give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I am really, really looking forward to the Dilbert edits
https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1628842441913540610