Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Scratch Monkey posted:

It’s my understanding that the relatively limited number of CJ mail jeeps that were made came onto the civilian market in very very bad shape

My dad bought a DJ for next to nothing in the very early nineties, and it was rusted nearly through on every floor pan, the engine was completely locked up, and all four brake corners had leaks bad enough that you couldn't keep fluid in it. They went to auction in horrific shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

To be clear, he was working on the brakes all the time to replace pads worn down by driving a mail route.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MrYenko posted:

My dad bought a DJ for next to nothing in the very early nineties, and it was rusted nearly through on every floor pan, the engine was completely locked up, and all four brake corners had leaks bad enough that you couldn't keep fluid in it. They went to auction in horrific shape.

My grandfather bought a Willys off the Army when they lived in Alaska (early '60s). It seemed like a good idea at the time. He drove around a Jeep w/smoke generator during his second period of service, knew how to work on them, and had a good opinion of the vehicle. The thing was in such bad shape it immediately became a chicken coop.

I never knew the man to not have piles of old trucks in the back yard. Cars, RVs, trailers, boats, and, one time, the fuselage of a Cessna 150.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Sounds like alaska.txt to me

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Apparently when grandpa bought his used Willis Jeep he passed a dealer with a better looking one so he returned the first one for the second one.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
My 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid has been termed a total loss due to mouse damage. There had been some activity a while ago (never kept any food in there or anything, they just like it...) but I did the peppermint oil thing and put an ultrasonic dealie in the engine compartment (plugged in, not battery powered) and hadn't seen any activity for months. Few days ago I got an 'hybrid system error' warning and took it in. Apparently the mice not only were doing their mouse thing all over the battery area, eating those delicious soy-coated wires, but they were basically in the walls Aliens-style, and they even said that if an airbag had happened to deploy, it would have been even more unpleasant than otherwise. Unfortunately (?), they didn't send pics, when I go to get my things out of it I'll see if I can get some. Honest to God it was not disgusting to be in.

Other than that, love the car!

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I had a customer at work with a 5-6 year old Prius that got totaled out because of mice. He didn't drive it for 4-5 months early in the pandemic, and when he went to drive it eventually it was absolutely packed with mouse debris inside and in the engine bay. So apparently it's more common than I thought!

He ended up getting another Prius, but now he's very diligent about mice in his garage, understandably.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Mozi posted:

My 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid has been termed a total loss due to mouse damage. There had been some activity a while ago (never kept any food in there or anything, they just like it...) but I did the peppermint oil thing and put an ultrasonic dealie in the engine compartment (plugged in, not battery powered) and hadn't seen any activity for months. Few days ago I got an 'hybrid system error' warning and took it in. Apparently the mice not only were doing their mouse thing all over the battery area, eating those delicious soy-coated wires, but they were basically in the walls Aliens-style, and they even said that if an airbag had happened to deploy, it would have been even more unpleasant than otherwise. Unfortunately (?), they didn't send pics, when I go to get my things out of it I'll see if I can get some. Honest to God it was not disgusting to be in.

oh god I wish I had not imagined the mouse poo poo explosion that the airbags would've unleashed

and corpses

e. and high speed newly-homogenized-by-pressure mouse :gonk:

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 24, 2023

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Mozi posted:

God drat, I've been dealing with mouse damage in my BMW i3 recently but luckily I got out of it fairly inexpensively compared to that. Most insurance companies here in Australia don't seem to cover rodent damage so I would have potentially been out almost $30k if they had decided to chew on different wires instead.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

My WRX would always get mice. They'd get all over the car, including in the trunk, and repeatedly build nests in the cabin air filter. I'd periodically mouse trap the car and get them, and obviously remove the nest and replace the filter and clean everything as best as able, but man was it tiresome.

It hasn't happened since we moved from Wisconsin to Virginia so fingers crossed I guess.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ssb posted:

My WRX would always get mice. They'd get all over the car, including in the trunk, and repeatedly build nests in the cabin air filter. I'd periodically mouse trap the car and get them, and obviously remove the nest and replace the filter and clean everything as best as able, but man was it tiresome.

It hasn't happened since we moved from Wisconsin to Virginia so fingers crossed I guess.

Mice just love WRXes.

They got everywhere in that drat thing.

There was so much mouse poo poo under the rear seats.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Working at a Toyota dealer, it blows my mind how often I'm quoting out a $1500-$4000 wiring harness because a mouse went ham on it. It's about once a week. If you get lucky our techs can cut a piece off of a harness from The Pile and splice it in, but man do they love the soy coating on em.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Another reason why I love living in a tropical climate.

Alligators won't chew my tires off thankfully :v:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
what the actual gently caress

peanut butter is not a sealant, stop

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I had squirrels in my GTI. Thankfully, they only damaged one wire, but they got under the soundproofing under the hood and filled it with corn kernels that spilled out when I opened it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My old office campus was an arboretum, and jam packed with squirrels. They ate the wiring harness on my 4Runner once and got my work van three separate times over a 6-year span. I park as far away from trees as I can get at my new office.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They literally have a soy based coating for the wires? Man that’s just inviting mice.

I once bought a motorcycle from a barn that had housed many mice. Mercifully they didn’t chew anything, they just sort of……lived in it. It reeked of mouse piss and poo poo (and I worked the price down commensurately). When I got it home I vacuumed up all the poo poo I could find, doused the whole thing in white vinegar and scrubbed it like crazy. That mostly took care of it.

I of course had one final surprise when I got to the air cleaner. Please don’t click if you don’t want to see a dead mouse: https://i.imgur.com/YatFVQJ.jpg

Again, didn’t chew it or anything, just living in there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They literally have a soy based coating for the wires? Man that’s just inviting mice.

Yep. And Toyota also uses a composite bioplastic filled with shredded soybean fiber for a bunch of the cabin air ducting. It's more sustainable than plain old ABS or whatever but boy do mice ever love the taste!

When my stepmom had a Corolla she had to clear out a mouse family from the glovebox every couple of months.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

yup I learned about soy wiring when I left work one day and my Civic Si's instrument panel was dead :negative:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
And if it was just a matter of replacing the air filters and doing some other repairs now and then then it would just be an annoyance, but now it's just, if you're lucky we can replace the battery for 5k.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead

Powershift posted:

Mice just love WRXes.

Must be a Subaru thing. They were always in my wife’s forester.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Where do the hell do you guys live to have such prolific rodent problems? My family has been a Toyota family for the past 2 decades and have never had rodent issues and we're in central suburban NJ. Closest rodent problem I've had is a squirrel or something pulling the insulation from the hood of my Subaru to build a nest on top of the engine block and stuffing acorns into the hood in the space where the insulation was.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
My FIAT had rats. Thankfully they only chewed a couple wires, but they made a whole bunch of bedding in the intake ducts

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

My FIAT had rats.

Fumigate it again, Terminix

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/Colinismblog/status/1629173071016869888?t=ooZF7l7XZH_DoqASXprt3Q&s=19

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just when you thought the panel gaps couldn’t get any worse, *taps thread title*

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Edward IV posted:

Where do the hell do you guys live to have such prolific rodent problems? My family has been a Toyota family for the past 2 decades and have never had rodent issues and we're in central suburban NJ. Closest rodent problem I've had is a squirrel or something pulling the insulation from the hood of my Subaru to build a nest on top of the engine block and stuffing acorns into the hood in the space where the insulation was.

Our cats do a very nice job of keeping down the local rodent population. We've never had a problem with them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just when you thought the panel gaps couldn’t get any worse, *taps thread title*

If anything this will have improved the panel gaps. :v:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Edward IV posted:

In the woods in Vermont. Lots of snakes, owls, hawks... and they're all eating pretty well I figure.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

My mother lives in rural Indiana and I’ve sent her probably $1200 over the last three months for repairs and pest control because squirrels keep eating wiring on her Grand Cherokee.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nice bazinga basket

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Did no one learn from the Morano Cross Cab?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That looks like NCE's work.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That truck kinda sick though...

Also why are all car journos absolute marks for an industry that pays them to drive around in posh cars that they only get access to if they suck corporate cock?

Oh wait.

https://twitter.com/Motor1com/status/1629184195124686854?t=u8--q42pfC-se7Mzu1oppw&s=19

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The contagion is spreading!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
No one in a right mind thinks a screen to adjust volume is better than a physical knob, unless they are a physical knob

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y9D9Aatl0E

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

First shop I worked at had a guy that brought his Pantera in ever spring to repair the mice damage from leaving it in the barn all winter.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

First shop I worked at had a guy that brought his Pantera in ever spring to repair the mice damage from leaving it in the barn all winter.

Projects in the Jungle Barn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
You'd think the mice would be scared.

That car should have been fuckin hostile to those mice.