Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Seems like a good deal but I have yet to take a trip that justifies carrying even an ultralight camp chair. I just car camp with a cheaper heavier sturdier camp chair, and I sit on a rock, log, or the ground in the wilderness. Are you guys backpacking with these things?

Literally all the camping I do is with the scouts, a chair is useful because they can't be left alone with fire so you end up sitting around with them while they burn stuff. (Or "cook" as they say).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
During bug season I pack a bug room, chair and a couple other amenities. We usually get ourselves to a hub of sorts and base camp there. The first day of travel is a bit rougher but then the rest of the trip is with day packs and coming back to a prepared site where we can shelter from the bugs, cook in peace and relax.

Been bit a few (million) times getting into camp late as the wind dies and trying to get set up while being swarmed is.. less than optimal. We save the big distance, sparingly equipped trips for late summer and into fall.
Even then I sometimes bring my helinox if I'm confident we'll have a few hours at camp before bed each night. The feeling of back support is really something a few days into a trip.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
A small chair is great and one of the luxuries I take when backpacking. I have a bony rear end, and a chair is much more comfortable than a foam pad on a log. It being just under two pounds is worth it.
I've had multiple friends borrow my chair while camping, and they all went and bought their own after.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I thought the backpacking chairs were gimmicks but then I used a friend's and it was hard to go back to not having one, especially in places that are dusty or damp. My requirements are that it's less than a pound. It's a luxury item that I really don't want to spend volume and weight allowance on.

I still don't have one but I've skimmed a lot of weight off my setup in the last two years so I might treat myself.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Cool cool it’s “I don’t need any new gear but I suddenly have the desire to pick stuff up for camping season” season.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

waffle enthusiast posted:

Cool cool it’s “I don’t need any new gear but I suddenly have the desire to pick stuff up for camping season” season.

You mean it's identify all the gear I suffered without for the past season and buy it now because it's all on clearance season.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Hoping to get some ideas on new trail runners. Last year I bought a pair of Salomon Outbound. At first they were the most comfortable shoes I had worn in a long time but over time not so much.
They have become very uncomfortable and my big toes get painful and I end my days with foot cramps. I'm concerned the shoes are the problem.

My local store here in BC carries Vasque and Oboz brand. I have heard that Altra Lone Peaks are good for wider feet, which I have, but they are not available to try on

I'm hoping to spend less than $200 CAD and would be wearing them for everyday. Thanks for any input!

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I'm still in the honeymoon phase with a pair of Saloman so hoping I don't have the same experience.

Oboz boots work for my feet and I like them (hot though). So much that I bought a shoe version, but got rid of them after a month. Just horrible in every way.

I'm going work-boot shopping tomorrow. My safety toes are pretty tired. My next field gig is somewhere hot and wet, and I'll do 5-6 miles a day. Really not looking forward to the trench foot.

Nothing dries fully overnight, so I usually pack two pairs and swap every other day.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

therunningman posted:

Hoping to get some ideas on new trail runners. Last year I bought a pair of Salomon Outbound. At first they were the most comfortable shoes I had worn in a long time but over time not so much.
They have become very uncomfortable and my big toes get painful and I end my days with foot cramps. I'm concerned the shoes are the problem.

My local store here in BC carries Vasque and Oboz brand. I have heard that Altra Lone Peaks are good for wider feet, which I have, but they are not available to try on

I'm hoping to spend less than $200 CAD and would be wearing them for everyday. Thanks for any input!

Fwiw I noticed that Salomon models have wildly different fits - I have wide feet, the x ultra are too tight for me but the sense ride are a perfect fit. Their durability was a bit disappointing though.
I've heard good things about Hoka as well, might be worth it to try them out.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

therunningman posted:

If you're interested in altras, try them if you can, or look at topo designs terraventures. I have them and I love them. I don't care about the zero/low drop but I love the feel and sole of them. They do have a bit more room in the toe box. I have a pretty standard foot and they feel great. Altras were a little too wide for me.

Regardless of shoe, consider different insoles. If shoes felt good at one point and hurt another, by the time the soles wore out, you might have needed more support.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have no information to offer about their fit for wide feet, but my last pair of Vasques were the best, most comfortable hiking shoes I've ever worn, and I'm looking to replace them with new ones. Big recommend for the brand.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Do any hiking shoe brands make good everyday shoes? I try to wear normal-looking shoes, but my feet are just too wide for most of them. Hiking shoes actually fit my feet, but I don't think I'm ready to wear Moabs every day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wear Moabs every day. :v:

They've been my everyday shoe for like 10 years, best all purpose shoe I've found. I get about two years out of a pair.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I wear my Danner Explorers all the time minus the heat of summer.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Thanks for the input! I tried on Vasque Talus shoes, they felt good, but then again so did the Salomons.
Did not have anything else in my size and will have to wait some time for an Oboz shipment due to the ~*supply chain*~ before I get a chance to try them on.
I did find a local outdoor store that has the Altras. Look forward to trying those too when I get to town next.

therunningman fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 22, 2023

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Do any hiking shoe brands make good everyday shoes? I try to wear normal-looking shoes, but my feet are just too wide for most of them. Hiking shoes actually fit my feet, but I don't think I'm ready to wear Moabs every day.

There are some companies that make "foot shaped" casual shoes - Xero, Lems, Vivobarefoot come to mind. Note they are all zero drop...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

amenenema posted:

There are some companies that make "foot shaped" casual shoes - Xero, Lems, Vivobarefoot come to mind. Note they are all zero drop...

I have some zero drop trail running shoes that I like, but I wonder how I would feel wearing them on pavement 3-4 miles every day. Some of these are exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for though.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I have some zero drop trail running shoes that I like, but I wonder how I would feel wearing them on pavement 3-4 miles every day. Some of these are exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for though.

While I don't have actual evidence of this, it sure seems to make sense that wearing a minimalist shoe day to day could help build foot strength and function (barring any existing issues one might have). Full disclosure - I'm a minimalist shoe user, but I'll tell you what after a decade of zero drop shoes (cushioned for running and minimalist for daily) nothing makes my feet/arches, knees, and back hurt like wearing a shoe with a heel (my wildland fire boots, dress shoes, etc).

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think I'll actually give some of these a shot, thanks. Wish they were in stores somewhere around here so that I could try them on. That's the annoying thing about big feet -- most shoe stores are worthless, and online shopping is a crapshoot.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Not hiking, but New Balance wide shoes are really wide.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I hike, run, and walk in various pairs of newton running shoes and I am a big fan of them. I’ve only seen them stocked in person at specialty shops, though, like at marathon sports in Boston

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think I'll actually give some of these a shot, thanks. Wish they were in stores somewhere around here so that I could try them on. That's the annoying thing about big feet -- most shoe stores are worthless, and online shopping is a crapshoot.

I believe REI carries Xero and their return policy is very generous.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Anyone know when the REI 20% coupon will drop? Hoping to score some cheap PFDs for canoeing this year.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I got a flyer from REI today saying it should be soon, so… soon?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Anyone know when the REI 20% coupon will drop? Hoping to score some cheap PFDs for canoeing this year.

If you're looking for a cheap option Costco seasonally has decent paddling PFDs, not to be mistaken with the neoprene waterskiing PFDs that would be hell to paddle in.
I've had mine for about 5 years and it's held up well, has nice big pockets and is comfortable to wear all day. I got it on clearance for like $20 and I'd probably need to spend 10x that to replace it with something that I'd view as an upgrade.. which is kind of a shame because it's not super flattering. I'd like to upgrade but it's so darn functional and a bargain to boot.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Ain't cheap, thought REI does carry them but I really like my NRS Chinook OS that I use paddling (mostly kayak fishing).

Morbus
May 18, 2004

therunningman posted:

Does your big toe hurt at the tip, or in the joint? Is it worse when you are going downhill, or is it more of a worse the longer you walk thing--even on flat terrain?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Math You posted:

If you're looking for a cheap option Costco seasonally has decent paddling PFDs, not to be mistaken with the neoprene waterskiing PFDs that would be hell to paddle in.
I've had mine for about 5 years and it's held up well, has nice big pockets and is comfortable to wear all day. I got it on clearance for like $20 and I'd probably need to spend 10x that to replace it with something that I'd view as an upgrade.. which is kind of a shame because it's not super flattering. I'd like to upgrade but it's so darn functional and a bargain to boot.

That is awesome to hear! I had no idea and will keep an eye open for them.

We probably only canoe once or twice a year and we’re going in an old aluminum Grumman so we won’t look good anyway.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Morbus posted:

Does your big toe hurt at the tip, or in the joint? Is it worse when you are going downhill, or is it more of a worse the longer you walk thing--even on flat terrain?

Thanks for the input!
It's the tip and outer side rather than the joint. It has developed a numbness in this area too. Left is worse than right.

It doesn't matter much if it's uphill or downhill and it gets a little worse as I'm walking but it's consistently uncomfortable.
I take about 30-45 min brisk walk everyday as a break from computer touching and it's unpleasant the whole time.
At the end of the day when I get off my feet I find I can easily trigger cramps in a big muscle at the bottom of my foot. Google images tells me it is the "hallucis" muscle.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Altra isn't "wide" in the sense of shoe widths: that's measured at midfoot. They are very roomy in the toe box, which is nice even for those of us with narrow, low-volume feet. I'd say they're worth checking out if correctly sized shoes in other brands are causing toe problems.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

therunningman posted:

Thanks for the input!
It's the tip and outer side rather than the joint. It has developed a numbness in this area too. Left is worse than right.

It doesn't matter much if it's uphill or downhill and it gets a little worse as I'm walking but it's consistently uncomfortable.
I take about 30-45 min brisk walk everyday as a break from computer touching and it's unpleasant the whole time.
At the end of the day when I get off my feet I find I can easily trigger cramps in a big muscle at the bottom of my foot. Google images tells me it is the "hallucis" muscle.

Could be that your toes are cramped, in which case a wider toe box could help. Heffray is right that it's helpful to distinguish from a wider shoe vs. one with a wide toebox specifically. I don't think there is much out there with a bigger toebox than Altras so it's worth trying some on if you can. Is there some website you can just order and then return from? I do that a lot with backcountry.com, and they do ship to Canada, but idk how import taxes or return shipping would work.

Could also be a result of foot/arch issues. If you overpronate when walking that may be a clue. But if even a 30 min walk is unpleasant I think you have a shoe problem. If you walk 30 min in just some regular, comfortable shoes or sandals do you have issues?

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

If you are considering altras but not ready to drop $150+ on shoes you’re not sure about, look for some of last year’s models on clearance. Amazon for example has lone peak 6’s in nearly every size for like $80.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Morbus posted:

Could be that your toes are cramped, in which case a wider toe box could help. Heffray is right that it's helpful to distinguish from a wider shoe vs. one with a wide toebox specifically. I don't think there is much out there with a bigger toebox than Altras so it's worth trying some on if you can. Is there some website you can just order and then return from? I do that a lot with backcountry.com, and they do ship to Canada, but idk how import taxes or return shipping would work.

Could also be a result of foot/arch issues. If you overpronate when walking that may be a clue. But if even a 30 min walk is unpleasant I think you have a shoe problem. If you walk 30 min in just some regular, comfortable shoes or sandals do you have issues?

I have a pair of moc toe boots I wear sometimes and I don't feel uncomfortable in the toe with them. I'll check out backcountry.com. We usually get screwed either on pricing or shipping here.

Looked for the not-latest Altra models. On Amazon.ca they are about $150 or so. I'm keeping my eye out. Also got a call back from the local outdoor shop about the Oboz in stock. Will check them out this week

Until now I haven't been thought much about my footwear, just buying whatever fit ok at the time.

wasey
Apr 6, 2009
I’m looking for a recommendation on a camping chair that would be good for a physically disabled person. My spouse has back pain and neuropathy in their legs, and our current generic big box store camp chairs sit low to the ground and don’t have much support. We exclusively car camp due to the physical limitations, so chair size/weight isn’t a big consideration. Higher off the ground and padding are the two biggest factors in the search. So far I’ve found the ALPS Mountaineering King Kong chair, my only concern there is that the chair might be too big? (they’re 5’4” 140ish lbs)

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Nemo Stargazer might be an option. I think Costco had a knockoff recently

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
So this is interesting.

I have a pair of Topo Trailventure 2 WP, which I enjoy. I was looking at the regular non-waterproof version for the heck of it, seen here.

When at the page, it shows as regular price:

When I added them to the cart, it shows a massive discount:

Don't think I've ever seen that before. No coupon code, nothing indicating on sale.

Anyway, I bought them, because who can pass that up? :cool:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Laterite posted:

So this is interesting.

At that price point I'm willing to roll the dice and see what happens. My sauconys are at end of life so I need to replace em anyways. Thanks for the tip!

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Guest2553 posted:

At that price point I'm willing to roll the dice and see what happens. My sauconys are at end of life so I need to replace em anyways. Thanks for the tip!

The WP version do the same thing in the cart. ~70 percent off, but there are only 8 and 8.5 available.

Edit: The above is for black. The Mango version has all sizes.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
the pair I have are the mango color and honestly that was at least 50% of the reason I got them. they're just so .... mango. very flashy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Laterite posted:

So this is interesting.

I have a pair of Topo Trailventure 2 WP, which I enjoy. I was looking at the regular non-waterproof version for the heck of it, seen here.

When at the page, it shows as regular price:

When I added them to the cart, it shows a massive discount:

Don't think I've ever seen that before. No coupon code, nothing indicating on sale.

Anyway, I bought them, because who can pass that up? :cool:

Not my first color choice, but I I'm in the market for new, non-wp hiking boots. Too good to pass up. Thanks!

E:
Boots are here-

Comfy, snug fit around the ankles. Toe box is wide and a little shallow/short (vertically) near the end.
My friend pointed out the main complaints in negative review are of Achilles discomfort. Guess we'll see how they work for me.
Very squeaky on our cheap, laminate floors.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 12, 2023