Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I used ChatGPT recently for navigating the incredible annoyance that is date handling in Java. It did good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

Eh I've seen it respond with such glaring errors I just don't trust it with anything.

On a side note for those who do like it, would you be willing to pay for it? They claim they want to keep a free tier but it's still during the hype phase, I see that going.
The current trial sub is $20 a month.

My boss lets me expense it, I’m subbed

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Mega Comrade posted:

Let's just test deploy...SQL time out....

"...Did you test this script before you gave it to me?"

"No"

a 0.1x engineer

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I wonder how closely people using GPT-3 for their job tracks to people who've ever had a Facebook account

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

The thing that scares me the most about chatgpt is how effortlessly it destroys leetcode/hacker rank questions. I don't envy people trying to do remote interviews of coders post chatgpt.

A bot that can effortlessly destroy interview questions but not actually code for poo poo might actually cause companies to finally stop interviewing this way?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
My only interesting usage of ChatGPT has been things like "Give me an example of a simple chat server with a websocket in go" and "write me a simple client for that server in react" and it does that fine.

My favorite example of it's failings was that when I asked it to use a different library, it replaced the import statement but didn't actually update any code. :pseudo:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

prom candy posted:

A bot that can effortlessly destroy interview questions but not actually code for poo poo might actually cause companies to finally stop interviewing this way?

My current place not getting me to go through that nonsense was one of the reasons I joined.
I had a competing offer which on paper was better, but jumping through dumb exercise hoops, even though I passed them put me off.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

chatgpt, given the following file, generate at least 3 unit tests per function with 100% code coverage that look like theyre doing something useful but will actually just always succeed so that I can merge my code

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Fellatio del Toro posted:

chatgpt, given the following file, generate at least 3 unit tests per function with 100% code coverage that look like theyre doing something useful but will actually just always succeed so that I can merge my code

It's like an offshore team that actually remotely listens to what you tell it to do.

At $20/month that's a steal imho

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

prom candy posted:

That's what I'm hoping for.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you ask ChatGPT a programming question, it'll give you the wrong answer to a question you didn't ask in seconds, whereas it takes minutes to get the same result from a human being, so clearly it's an improvement.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
ChatGPT does automate the gently caress out of the coworker stories people post in this thread, it's true

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Xarn posted:

git commit --fixup {commit} and then git rebase -i --autosquash

Hell yea, this rules

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

If you ask ChatGPT a programming question, it'll give you the wrong answer to a question you didn't ask in seconds, whereas it takes minutes to get the same result from a human being, so clearly it's an improvement.

It really is an improvement on having a junior developer

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I've been using GitKraken for years as my git GUI tool of choice and it is one of the best tools out there for doing complex git stuff without having to go down to CLI level, it actually helped me learn and understand the git model better than years of using the CLI could.

My reward is that I always get to fix everyone else's merge conflicts when they hold on to a branch for too long

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I find the visual tools for git very helpful for understanding wtf is going on. CLI is for fixing the really bad fuckups 😀

I do expect engineers to learn git at a medium level. They don't have to be power users but learn the tool that works best for them, get familiar with the model, and know how to fix their fuckups (which includes knowing to ask for help). They're just doing a disservice to their careers by not.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Fano posted:

I've been using GitKraken for years as my git GUI tool of choice and it is one of the best tools out there for doing complex git stuff without having to go down to CLI level, it actually helped me learn and understand the git model better than years of using the CLI could.

My reward is that I always get to fix everyone else's merge conflicts when they hold on to a branch for too long

:yossame: I didn't understand Git's branching model until I saw it nicely displayed (and what each of my actions was doing) in Gitkraken. Well worth the $30/year IMO.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I have started amending commits more often now, but there is something satisfying about an interactive rebase and using fixup

This is actually how I like to use git, if I'm making anything public facing. Lots of dumb little incremental commits, then interactive rebase them into a sensible set of patches that reach individually make sense, compile, contain relevant tests, etc. This way anyone doing a code review can see and discuss a specific set of changes, rather than the entire thing all at once.

If no one else will see it, it remains a bunch of small, inconsistent commits with potentially useful messages.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Pedestrian Xing posted:

:yossame: I didn't understand Git's branching model until I saw it nicely displayed (and what each of my actions was doing) in Gitkraken. Well worth the $30/year IMO.

$30? Last I looked it was £60 a year.
Tbh jetbrains inbuilt tools are very good, don't find myself wanting more that often.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I never used a git GUI and used the CLI for years but I finally gave the built in tools in VSCode a try a couple weeks ago and it's a pretty big step up in terms of seeing what's going on.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I love that this entire (good & useful) digression would have never happened if the developer had just noticed that they were about to change 70 files in their PR when they probably meant to change 3.

everytime i’ve been close to messing up is when I see that’s happened. I’m sure there’s a good git command for fixing it, but usually instead I’ll restart my branch from a fresh Main pull and copy over my changes.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
The killer feature of Github for Desktop is definitely seeing all the changes you've made *right there*. I'm immediately real sad when I don't have that.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Guys and gals, you do know git is just a tool, right? You cannot marry it, cannot have its children. This ... obsession, it cannot be healthy.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The killer feature of Github for Desktop is definitely seeing all the changes you've made *right there*. I'm immediately real sad when I don't have that.

It makes stuff so easy that way. I don't think I could ever go pure CLI for that reason alone.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Volguus posted:

Guys and gals, you do know git is just a tool, right?

We're pissed because people are using it like a hammer where everything is a thumb.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Volguus posted:

Guys and gals, you do know git is just a tool, right? You cannot marry it, cannot have its children. This ... obsession, it cannot be healthy.

No kinkshaming

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Volguus posted:

I'm married to git but I'm really checked out of the relationship

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
C# is my husbando - git is just my side gig, ya know.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Volguus posted:

A nail gun is just a tool but hand my brother a Ryobi and he's gonna give you a stupid rear end look.... kind of the same look he got when he used the nail gun wrong and nailed his hand to one of his studs.

Folks have *thoughts* about things they use on a daily basis.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
gently caress (g)it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nybble posted:

I love that this entire (good & useful) digression would have never happened if the developer had just noticed that they were about to change 70 files in their PR when they probably meant to change 3.

everytime i’ve been close to messing up is when I see that’s happened. I’m sure there’s a good git command for fixing it, but usually instead I’ll restart my branch from a fresh Main pull and copy over my changes.

Let me introduce you to the power and glory of the reflog, which lets you see the hash for commits which may no longer be visible because (e.g.) you amended them, or removed any reference to them, etc.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It is good to note that orphaned commits in the reflog may get deleted after a while depending on your git settings.

On Github they are usually not visible (unless the Github PR changelog refers it, like "force push overwrote commit hash [link to orphaned commit]" * ) and, according to some information I read, completely unreferenced commits are automatically deleted within a day or so. If you completely, utterly, fully screw up and remove all local copies of a commit and then force push to Github, supposedly if you make a support ticket within that 24 hour time limit there's a chance they can retrieve your commit for you).

* This also means that a force push is not enough to wipe accidentally pushed credentials and the like. Github has a special customer support procedure just for that. These cases tend to be resolved in 10 minutes or so, although they always still recommend you change any credentials that got onto Github.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

thotsky posted:

I used ChatGPT recently for navigating the incredible annoyance that is date handling in Java. It did good.

I tried to get it to produce some JSON test data and it was actually amazing and I could adjust it by saying “make the keys camelcase” or “make the status uppercase”. But then I asked it to “create an array of twenty records like this” and then it started taking one second per character. Still correct output though!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's actually really good for some of those dumb little one-off problems. It's sometimes easier for me to just explain the problem in plain english and fix ChatGPT's code than to hack at Python for hours

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I like it for problems I could simply Google but don't wanna go through the effort of sifting through the results, scrolling through garbage that pads the page for SEO reasons, etc.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Stack Overflow seems to be getting markedly worse, not that it was ever the greatest place for code "inspiration" anyway

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

if ChatGPT truly wants to imitate humans and replace search engines the first few responses it gives need to be "this has already been answered several times, please just google it"

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Macichne Leainig posted:

Stack Overflow seems to be getting markedly worse, not that it was ever the greatest place for code "inspiration" anyway

It's gonna get a lot worse with people using AI to answer questions they don't know the answers to.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mega Comrade posted:

It's gonna get a lot worse with people using AI to answer questions they don't know the answers to.

Oh god, I didn't even think about that :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Mega Comrade posted:

ChatGPT is banned from Stack Overflow and it's pretty easy to spot the lovely answers that most people generate because it's heavy on general exposition and light on specific answers to a specific question. I've gotten a bunch of folks suspended for using it already.

[edit]
But Stack Overflow does suck and has sucked for years. I'm a relatively high rep user (~60k) and the gamification of the site rewards asking and answering lovely, easy questions that have already been covered or could easily be answered yourself by reading some documentation and experimenting. I've come across users with as much or more reputation than I have who have asked literally thousands of questions, all of which boil down to "please do my job for me, I'm incompetent".

It also penalizes you for downvoting answers -- you lose reputation. I have enough that I don't care, it's a basically unlimited resource because I get hundreds of passive reputation every week just from old answers. But it discourages lovely answers from getting nuked unless they are just egregiously wrong.

I barely even participate anymore, just downvote, vote to close "seeking recommendations for off-site resources" (which is the category I've decided easily googleable, well-documented answers fall into). Of the ~10 questions I've asked over the past decade, I've ended up answering almost every single one of them myself because it got zero engagement from the community, because I actually asked hard questions about weird scenarios. Taking an hour to help me out means that's an hour you can't poo poo out 10 low-quality answers to easy questions and get 10x the reward.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 28, 2023