Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

McFrugal posted:

Squid only spawn at a specific height range, and might be biome restricted depending on what minecraft version you're playing. 1.8 and previous, they spawn from y=45 to 63. 1.8.2 to 1.17 it's "below sea level" instead of y=63. 1.18 sets the height range to y=50 to 64, instead of y=45 to "sea level".
In version 1.13.1 and beyond they only spawn in rivers, oceans, and beaches.

Yeah, that's totally my bad, I'm specifically looking for Glow squid, which are more specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I tried playing a skyblock modpack with my brother, I think it was skyblock 4? We used a start that had a bunch of floating islands that were a single biome and we got into the first night. A bunch of creepers that made that "Wow" meme sound effect would walk around, making that sound with each step. If they exploded they would leave behind this gas that would inflict nausea and make you float. Then a bunch of hostile mobs showed up, some looking like other players, and some that shot god drat lasers. We stopped after the lasers showed up.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
"Headcrumbs" is a mod that adds famous Youtubers as random enemies and I remove every single time. Its presence in a pack is pretty much always a bad sign.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
All that crap is for watching people suffering the modpack on YouTube and Twitch and not for us oddballs that actually want to play them.

To make this easier to tell, I suggest we make a mod called "Preproduction Assistant" that detects if those mods (and chance cubes) are installed. If they are, it just loops Monkeys Spinning Monkeys and it cannot be turned off.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Leal posted:

I tried playing a skyblock modpack with my brother, I think it was skyblock 4? We used a start that had a bunch of floating islands that were a single biome and we got into the first night. A bunch of creepers that made that "Wow" meme sound effect would walk around, making that sound with each step. If they exploded they would leave behind this gas that would inflict nausea and make you float. Then a bunch of hostile mobs showed up, some looking like other players, and some that shot god drat lasers. We stopped after the lasers showed up.

I had a very similar issue with Sevtech's skyblock, dropped off on a chunk-sized island with some resources and struggling to find a way to make torches to prevent mob spawns. Ended up with laser-firing golems and other mobs swarming my nerdpole I built up trying to just survive the night, fell of the edge of the world when a laser bolt nailed me in the face and promptly died in the void.

I've basically decided no skyblock is worth playing unless it has the mod that lets you fall through the void and back down from the top of the world, I've tried several now and the first thing I do now is hurl myself off the edge of the starting platform to see if one out of the hundred+ mods is that one, or at least a grave that will sit on the edge of the platform instead of at y=0.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

bawk posted:

I've basically decided no skyblock is worth playing unless it has the mod that lets you fall through the void and back down from the top of the world, I've tried several now and the first thing I do now is hurl myself off the edge of the starting platform to see if one out of the hundred+ mods is that one, or at least a grave that will sit on the edge of the platform instead of at y=0.

I only play with KeepInventory on for basically that reason

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
On the subject of SkyBlocks, the new Vault Hunters has a skyblock mode that looks pretty interesting. I might give it a shot. You start with a budding vault crystal block and a portal and have to get everything else from the vaults, which have updated pools for items to include more basic resources like stone.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I haven't played modded since PolyMC (I think?) was revealed to be run by a transphobe overreaching their data access, what launcher are people on now? I was midway through a pack and not sure if it could be transferred.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Vib Rib posted:

I haven't played modded since PolyMC (I think?) was revealed to be run by a transphobe overreaching their data access, what launcher are people on now? I was midway through a pack and not sure if it could be transferred.

Prism Launcher which is just PolyMC but owned by the people who were already doing all of PolyMC's coding before the owner popped back up. You can just move your instance folder from Poly to Prism and it'll work fine.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Vib Rib posted:

CurseForge is the current hotness, but has its own overreaching data access concerns. They've mostly made it a pain in the rear end enough that most people put up with it. Some third party apps (e.g. GDLauncher) have adjusted their CurseForge links to mostly keep functionality working, but it has become more hack-ish and less streamlined for integration.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

I was using gd launcher until they revealed their plans to put ads in it, switched to AT launcher, it handles multiple mod sites and the no 3rd party downloads nonsense really well

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

By 'switched' i mean 'remembered that I still have it installed', I had a modpack from 2015 i never finished on there

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Rynoto posted:

Prism Launcher which is just PolyMC but owned by the people who were already doing all of PolyMC's coding before the owner popped back up. You can just move your instance folder from Poly to Prism and it'll work fine.

and to clarify, the dude didn't "own" polymc, he was just one of several people who had admin access, and hadn't done anything important to the project in a while (or maybe ever) when he went off on his transphobic breakdown

I honestly wonder how he tells the story. I imagine it's fascinating

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

egg tats posted:

and to clarify, the dude didn't "own" polymc, he was just one of several people who had admin access, and hadn't done anything important to the project in a while (or maybe ever) when he went off on his transphobic breakdown

I honestly wonder how he tells the story. I imagine it's fascinating

Well, you can see his "side" of the story on the github. It's pretty much just 4chan /pol/ trash.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Vault Hunters questions: Is there any way to get renewable Vault Rock (or Vault Crystals, or anything else that you use to open Vaults) or am I going to have to strip mine every time I want to try a new Vault?

The Skyblock mode seems more direct and less bullshit but it's also filled with a ton of garbage chests indistinguishable from the regular low quality chests and it's a bit obnoxious having the loot table crowded with stuff like paper and saplings since you're going to be set on those in about five minutes.
Also I feel like I'm doing something wrong but these vaults are massive even at level 0 and I can't imagine how I'm supposed to complete objectives in them, I can't even reach every room in the time limit and the lack of a map makes navigating it very obnoxious. Is there some secret here or do I really just have to race through and hope I see the objectives?

markerstore
Dec 5, 2003
Canny!

Vib Rib posted:

Vault Hunters questions: Is there any way to get renewable Vault Rock (or Vault Crystals, or anything else that you use to open Vaults) or am I going to have to strip mine every time I want to try a new Vault?

The Skyblock mode seems more direct and less bullshit but it's also filled with a ton of garbage chests indistinguishable from the regular low quality chests and it's a bit obnoxious having the loot table crowded with stuff like paper and saplings since you're going to be set on those in about five minutes.
Also I feel like I'm doing something wrong but these vaults are massive even at level 0 and I can't imagine how I'm supposed to complete objectives in them, I can't even reach every room in the time limit and the lack of a map makes navigating it very obnoxious. Is there some secret here or do I really just have to race through and hope I see the objectives?

Running a vault is significantly net positive on vault rock and chromatic iron; once you start running vaults you should basically never have to strip mine again. The speed and dash upgrades will eventually help with getting through vaults faster but I'm on level 15 and I've completed maybe 3 objectives, and those involved a fair amount of luck. Feels like the objectives are balanced for multiplayer (but you can also get by just fine not completing them).

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

markerstore posted:

Running a vault is significantly net positive on vault rock and chromatic iron; once you start running vaults you should basically never have to strip mine again. The speed and dash upgrades will eventually help with getting through vaults faster but I'm on level 15 and I've completed maybe 3 objectives, and those involved a fair amount of luck. Feels like the objectives are balanced for multiplayer (but you can also get by just fine not completing them).
Oh wait, you're expected to just bail? I just realized, that still gives you xp right? Because I've just been dying, getting no xp, and wondering how I'm supposed to be progressing.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Vib Rib posted:

Oh wait, you're expected to just bail? I just realized, that still gives you xp right? Because I've just been dying, getting no xp, and wondering how I'm supposed to be progressing.

Yes, bail for exp until you get a handle on the modpack. I don't think I completed a vault in my first 15 vaults.

Also of note: while running your raw vaults you still have a chance of getting the special room that has chromatic iron ore filling the room. I didn't even try to clear it and I got a couple stacks. So the best strat when you're in raw vaults looking for chromatic is just to run around looking for that special room and other low-hanging fruit.

And realistically all you need is 3-4 ingots to get you out of raw vaults - as folks mentioned, a non-raw vault will almost certainly be giving you more than one chromatic iron.

And even better advice if you're casual is just to cheat in some of the stuff that you'd be getting out of the raw vaults. It's fun to have the extra step of bootstrapping yourself into diamond stuff in the raw vaults instead of the overworld, but at some point you're ready to engage with the real modpack.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
In a non-skyblock setting, do you also get vault crystals out of vaults themselves?

E: Admittedly I didn't realize I was in a "raw vault" or that it was distinct from regular vaults.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

GDLauncher/ATLauncher. Latter has the (fairly limited, but useful for Blightfall) benefit of including Technic packs to be downloaded. Now that I'm on Linux it's become my default recommendation, heh. Uses a shitload of RAM to run for some reason, but only until you actually load into a pack, as far as I can tell.

Current state of my Blightfall 3.0 playthrough: where the gently caress are all the diamonds oh god I need so many diamonds.

Update: all of the diamonds are under the volcano, in netherrack.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 22, 2023

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I have so many god drat emeralds, I probably have 100 emeralds but very little tech metal, I'm also working on making my first dawn totem, almost fully cleared mushroom island of taint, and am also working on the osmotic enchanter. The Most "tech" thing I have is a single hardened pulverizer and an energy cube thing I got from a loot bag. You can find a diamond in one of the infested village blacksmith chests

Also I am forever alone on my server.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

In a non-skyblock setting, do you also get vault crystals out of vaults themselves?

E: Admittedly I didn't realize I was in a "raw vault" or that it was distinct from regular vaults.

yeah when you start running the normal vaults you'll often come across patches of vault rock in the vaults themselves so it removes the need for strip mining

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Vib Rib posted:

Two important resources to run a vault:

Vaultstone - When broken, makes Vault Cobblestone, and sometimes gives you a Chipped Vaultstone. Vaultstone varieties are used to make the portal.
Chromatic Iron - Acts like iron ore

Skyvault starts you with a portal, and a "Budding Crystal" which will slowly grow Small -> Med -> Large -> Crystal buds. When it's at the stage past large, you can break it with your hand to get a Raw Crystal of your current vault level.

To get your Vaultstone in a Raw Vault, there are rooms which have grass and a small cave with vanilla ores underneath which will have veins of vaultstone. There are also quarry rooms which have enemy spawners, and more vanilla ores and some vaultstone veins. There is also the rare Chromatic Iron room which just has tons of it.

To get your Chromatic Iron in a Raw Vault, I think you were mostly supposed to collect Chromatic Iron Nuggets from the metal-styled chests (each chest type has a different loot table) until you have three ingots. Again, you can just get this from the Chromatic Iron room if you find one.

Use two Chromatic Iron ingots to make a Vault Altar. Use one ingot and 4 chipped vaultstone to make a Vault Crystal. Put the Vault Crystal into your Vault Altar, then the Altar will ask you for 4 items - drop the items on the altar, the items turn green. When they're all green, send a redstone signal to the altar and it will produce a Vault Crystal that is ready to be run in the portal.

The Vaults you make in the altar (not the Raw vaults from the budding crystals) will have some new special rooms which are mostly too hard for newbies, they can have different themes than just rock and dirt, and the loot tables are much different (better). You will no longer see the Quarry and Grass rooms - those are Raw vaults only for Skyblock so that you can get the supplies that non-Skyblock people get in the overworld.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Been doing vault on a sky island the past few hours with my brother, its neat to need to go inside and get stuff to then expand the base. We have come across a few rooms where it is absolutely loaded with chromatic iron ore. I'm sure if we stopped and mined it all out we'd easily walk out with 6 or more stacks. These rooms also happen to have a good amount of vault stone around to get chipped stone from.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Vault hunters sounds interesting! downloading and firing up a launcher for the first time in a year or 2, I see 3 different editions. I grabbed the 2nd edition and putzed around for 20 minutes mostly just making sure it would work (which it did!) Is there a consensus on which edition would be the one to go with, or a TLDR of the differences?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
3rd edition is the current one and has a lot of QoL improvements.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
2nd Edition is also on an older minecraft version. You want the 3rd edition specifically from Here

There's no point to playing older editions unless you want to experience them for whatever reason as it is a bit different.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 22, 2023

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll grab the 3rd edition and go from there.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Skyvault is excellent because I want to do the fun new thing and not the regular minecraft thing I've done a hundred times over the last 10+ years.

I did a handful of the raw vaults and got a big pile of stuff, made a regular Vault with a scavenger goal (and cleared it!). It was super fun, got a ton of neat things, and now my altar wants 27 copper and some sugar cane. Copper is fine to collect in the raw vaults but sugar cane I'm assuming I just have to find randomly in the overworld rooms? Which sucks so after like 4 more raw vaults and no luck I'm going to just cheat. As always when a mod tells you that you can't have fun yet you say gently caress you and cheat.

Also as was mentioned, bail on vaults if time gets low (so try to remember your route!) so you can actually get xp. Because actually getting a level up means you can learn the heal spell and stop dying from attrition. You can cast it on cooldown without mana problems.

Final tip I figured out because it wasn't obvious, if you find unidentified equipment, just hold it and right click to ID it! I thought you needed the forge but that lets you craft new random gear. Got a sweet sword that makes a friendly poison cloud and had stun chance!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Started up the server again just now on my sky vault game and well

That wasn't there before

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Skyvault is excellent because I want to do the fun new thing and not the regular minecraft thing I've done a hundred times over the last 10+ years.

I did a handful of the raw vaults and got a big pile of stuff, made a regular Vault with a scavenger goal (and cleared it!). It was super fun, got a ton of neat things, and now my altar wants 27 copper and some sugar cane. Copper is fine to collect in the raw vaults but sugar cane I'm assuming I just have to find randomly in the overworld rooms? Which sucks so after like 4 more raw vaults and no luck I'm going to just cheat. As always when a mod tells you that you can't have fun yet you say gently caress you and cheat.

Also as was mentioned, bail on vaults if time gets low (so try to remember your route!) so you can actually get xp. Because actually getting a level up means you can learn the heal spell and stop dying from attrition. You can cast it on cooldown without mana problems.

Final tip I figured out because it wasn't obvious, if you find unidentified equipment, just hold it and right click to ID it! I thought you needed the forge but that lets you craft new random gear. Got a sweet sword that makes a friendly poison cloud and had stun chance!

The general idea is that some of the mods you unlock with knowledge stars let you automate production of vault altar materials

It's also mostly assumed you make a mob grinder

I just cheat in altar materials because I don't like that part of the game

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Leal posted:

Started up the server again just now on my sky vault game and well

That wasn't there before

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE CHUNKS BEHIND THE CURTAIN!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

bawk posted:

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE CHUNKS BEHIND THE CURTAIN!

"Oops, just delete those with WorldEdit"

-the devs

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think it's because servers default to normal world type, so in MP (and especially if you transition a world from SP) you have to make sure the server ini specifies the right worldgen type.

I still have no idea how you're expected to finish Monolith objectives in the Vaults, or most objectives for that matter. The dungeons are huge and I got the hunter power that shows nearby objectives but it's a 2 minute cooldown, lasts 6 seconds, and only seems big enough to cover the room I'm currently in. I have no idea how many rooms there are per average dungeon but it feels like a lot and even just sprinting through I feel like I won't be able to visit every room. And then Monoliths aren't even in the center, easily visible, they're tucked into some corner of the room so you really have to explore for them.
Also got my first mission where you activate obelisks to summon special enemies to kill and they all had like 100 health and did 4 hearts per hit through full iron armor, so that might be too ambitious for my current gear setup.

So, yeah, completing a Vault seems insurmountable from where I am now.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I think it's because servers default to normal world type, so in MP (and especially if you transition a world from SP) you have to make sure the server ini specifies the right worldgen type.

I still have no idea how you're expected to finish Monolith objectives in the Vaults, or most objectives for that matter. The dungeons are huge and I got the hunter power that shows nearby objectives but it's a 2 minute cooldown, lasts 6 seconds, and only seems big enough to cover the room I'm currently in. I have no idea how many rooms there are per average dungeon but it feels like a lot and even just sprinting through I feel like I won't be able to visit every room. And then Monoliths aren't even in the center, easily visible, they're tucked into some corner of the room so you really have to explore for them.
Also got my first mission where you activate obelisks to summon special enemies to kill and they all had like 100 health and did 4 hearts per hit through full iron armor, so that might be too ambitious for my current gear setup.

So, yeah, completing a Vault seems insurmountable from where I am now.

Vault Obectives:
Monoliths: Hope for only two required and be lucky.
Obelisks: Activate the obelisks and move to a blocked off hallway to cheese. (They have thorns damage).
Scavenger: Hope you like RNG determining if you succeed.

Honestly the entire vault objective system just feels bad because of objective “difficulty” being based entirely on luck. It would be better if your rewards were scaled based upon the time spent in the vault, but you otherwise weren’t forced out on a timer. So you would race to find monoliths to complete that objective asap and for obelisks and scavenger you would make the determination if you should complete or continue to loot.

Granted I also find the whole concept of farming materials just for the sole purpose of entering vaults to be a weird design decision. It is just unnecessary busywork to reach the core gameplay loop of doing vaults.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, agreed, spending to open vaults doesn't seem like it gels well with the overall design, but I also don't really understand the point of the time limit to begin with, especially when objectives are things you literally have to luck into.
Also why no map? I may just install a different map mod so I can override their override.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

SevTech Ages is really loving good. I like mods that have tons the FTB stuff but the way SevTech ties it together with progression is just fantastic. Runs well on a Steam Deck.

I sunk a bunch of time into Blightfall in VR back in 2017 I think. What are more modpacks that are like good self-contained games?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

SevTech Ages is really loving good. I like mods that have tons the FTB stuff but the way SevTech ties it together with progression is just fantastic. Runs well on a Steam Deck.

I sunk a bunch of time into Blightfall in VR back in 2017 I think. What are more modpacks that are like good self-contained games?

If you somehow haven't played them then the entire Material Energy series is very good. Each one takes place in an entirely handcrafted structure where progression is done by slotting in different drives to spawn a max size area through AE. Scattered around are plenty of secrets, lore, and even a decent storyline.

Material Energy 5 is the most recent and while you don't need to play them in any particular order you'll obviously notice the QoL added over each successive release.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 22, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Rynoto posted:

If you somehow haven't played them then the entire Material Energy series is very good. Each one takes place in an entirely handcrafted structure where progression is done by slotting in different drives to spawn a max size area through AE. Scattered around are plenty of secrets, lore, and even a decent storyline.

Material Energy 5 is the most recent and while you don't need to play them in any particular order you'll obviously notice the QoL added over each successive release.

I haven't, thanks! I know very few mod packs by name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Vault Hunters 3rd edition questions:

-My understanding is that if you play on a normal world, you basically do not get into the modpack (meaning no researching other mods, no doing vaults) until you beat the ender dragon, right? I'm not sure this is correct because when I was checking out the 2nd edition earlier, I'm almost certain I started with 5 perk points there.
-I did not notice any quest book/quest mods, but looked briefly. Is there any guidance/structure outside of the encyclopedia you start with?

Would gladly hear any tips or tricks y'all might have. Thanks!